Echoes In The Bronx: A 1978 Yankee Dynasty

JoeRudi26

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great stuff JR! fantastic presentation like always. tough luck on the sweep.

Thanks SES, I appreciate the comments. This Texas team is no fluke, after playing a couple of more games and checking the standings, they've still yet to be beaten. Somehow I don't feel so bad now.

B)

Hopefully you will have some more success with your next opponents.

I don't know rick, Milwaukee is getting their swipes in now. Wow, defending champs down 0-4 out of the gate.

Martin was last spotted at the local tavern, things could get ugly by the time this road trip is over. :huh:

*Edit - Local Wisconsin reporters have the proof, Martin's drunk, and Jackson has to pee, hope Georgie don't find out about this. :o

I'm telling you, rick, I just CANNOT find a whole on offense. This is getting ridiculous. I'm clearing everyone out of the house for tonight's game, it could get ugly around here. Seriously though, it's starting to get frustrating. :huh:

I can imagine how bad it is and especially when you got a team like those Yankees who shouldn't be losing the first 4 games of the season.

I can imagine how bad it is and especially when you got a team like those Yankees who shouldn't be losing the first 4 games of the season.

Tons and tons of baseball left, obviously, really no need for alarm. An 0-10 start would be reason to start really getting concerned about getting buried early. Either way, it's all fun.

Let's not forget that they were 14-1/2 games out of 1st place in July 1978, so they've stil got quite a ways to go in JoeRudi's dynasty before they hit rock bottom.

Jim, wouldn't it be uncanny if the injuries hit this team early on like it did back in '78?

Interesting stuff, guys. I took a look at the Yankee's 1978 schedule, and in fact they actually lost 4 out of their first 5 games at the start of that season, with that sole win being in Texas. They would go on only two 4 game losing streaks from 6/3 to 6/6, losing to Oakland and then Seattle, and then from 7/7 to 7/13 against Milwaukee and then the White Sox. It looks like the killer was a 14-15 June, and a red hot Boston team that caused them to have to play catch up.

But what a year.

I really couldn't find an injury report (and I honestly don't remember and couldn't find anything on pitchers), but here's a true life games by position from that year from some key players:

Bucky Dent - 123

Willie Randolph - 134

Reggie Jackson - 104

Piniella - 78

Mickey Rivers - 138

Thurman Munson - 125

It would be interesting to track that complete season down and see how it unfolded.

Well JR, look at it this way: You can't go any lower. :rolleyes:

I see your next series is against the ChiSox. The Yanks swept that 3-game series back in '78, so you should be able to rebound against them.

Good luck man.

Hopefully you're right. I don't know how I'm going to keep these standings going "manually" in my presentation, but I'm going to try and see how it works out. The old division alignments look pretty strange now. I did learn something in the process.

To calculate Games Back, here's the formula:

1. Subtract the number of wins by the team in question from the number of wins by the first place team.

2. Subtract the number of losses by the first place team from the team in question.

3. Add the two numbers and divide by two.

Not ground shattering news, and I'm sure alot of people knew this, but I had never really given it much thought until now.

Man, I see Beattie didn't last no time. Looks like Thurman & Jackson did their part though.

Man, to have a wiretap on Georgie's hotline to Billy right about now. :o

Good luck next game man.

This is awful, man. I've had 5 game losing streaks before, but NEVER at the beginning of the season. Talk about frustrating. :angry:

Archived