Pirates

NL West-

Dodgers (X)

Giants

Rockies

D-Backs

Padres

Playoff Scenarios- DIVISION SERIES

2009 NLDS- Mets vs Cubs========Mets in 4 (Self Explanatory)(Sorry Eric)

Phillies vs Dodgers======== (Phillies in 3)

2009 ALDS- Yankees vs Twins======== Yankees in 3

Red Sox vs Angels======= Sox in 5

Playoff Scenarios- CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

2009 NLCS- Mets vs Phillies=======Mets in 7 (YEAH I SAID IT)

2009 ALCS- Yankees vs Red Sox======Yankees in 5

Playoff Scenarios- WORLD SERIES

2009 World Series- Mets vs Yankees========Yankees in 6 :( :(

2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS- NEW YORK YANKEES

What do you guys think will happen?!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with evil1182. It's way too early for this. Spring training hasn't started yet, games haven't been played, injuries haven't taken their toll yet. Too early.

Also, try and remember one year ago when most of the Mets fans (mostly Timay) were handing the Mets the World Series trophy all because they got Johan Santana in a trade with Minnesota. Now, how did that turn out again?

It's to early for this.

But of course I pick the Mets to win it all. :p I been doing that for the past 20 years.

Agreed. Too early. There are so many free agents still out there that could factor into a team's success or failiure such as Mota*, Benitez, and Glavine. And there may be some blockbuster trades as well. Then again you got any injuries that will come from the WBC or every day life, such as accidentally cutting off your finger with the hedge clippers while doing gardening or twisting an ankle while trying to play basketball outside your house. I imagine it would be easier to predict in March.

And just like Evil, I've been picking the Mets to win for the past 20 years but look at how that turned out. Maybe I should start rooting against the Mets so that they actually do win. BTW ... I would love if every team goes 81-81. That would be fun.

* Mota was recently picked up. I wish his new team luck.

But for predicting purposes:

AL East-

Rays (X) - beat Rangers and then Mariners and lose to Padres in WS in 7 games

Jays

Orioles

Redsox

Yankees

AL Central-

Royals (X) - beat Mariners in first and lose to Rays in second round

Indians

Tigers

Twins

White Sox

AL West-

Mariners (X) - lose to Royals in first round

Rangers (Y) - lose to Rays in first round

Angels

Athletics

NL East-

Nationals (X) - lose to Pirates in first round

Marlins

Phillies

Mets

Braves

NL Central-

Pirates (X) - beat Nationals in first round and lose to Padres in second round

Reds (Y) - lose to Padres in first round

Astros

Brewers

Cardinals

Cubs

NL West-

Padres (X) - beat Reds and then Pirates and beat Rays in 7 games to win WS

Rockies

D-Backs

Giants

Dodgers

NL MVP - Lastings Milledge, AL MVP - Pat Burrell

I'm with evil1182. It's way too early for this. Spring training hasn't started yet, games haven't been played, injuries haven't taken their toll yet. Too early.

Also, try and remember one year ago when most of the Mets fans (mostly Timay) were handing the Mets the World Series trophy all because they got Johan Santana in a trade with Minnesota. Now, how did that turn out again?

Yeah, timay is just timay, Jumping to something like that is a bit too much, i may say.

FanGraphs crunched the numbers on the Yankee offseason, and the Yanks only gained about 3 wins with the Teixeira/Burnett/Sabathia combo over Abreu/Pettitte/Mussina. I think it's extremely premature to predict the Yankees being World Series Champions. There were only slight upgrades, and you may see declines in Jeter, Posada (If he even stays healthy), Damon, and Matsui. It may or may not be cancelled out by improvement from Hughes and/or Kennedy. The ceiling for the Yankees really isn't that high.

The Rays, on the other hand, can be a sink or swim team. Although people like to think the '07 Rockies (They are inferior to the '08 Rays) were a flash in the pan team who got hot at the right time, the perfect storm of injuries and growing pains derailed them from being remotely as successful. Tampa may be superior than the '07 Rockies, with better success in a tougher division, but that perfect storm could hurt them too. They're in a very similar situation, and I wouldn't be surprised to see many of their young players hit a slump.

The Red Sox come back basically the same as last year, if not better. I believe, if they start Bard, they're upgrading right there. Everywhere else, with the exclusion of half a season of Manny, they're the same. The health of Lowell and Ortiz will be a factor, but if Saito, Penny, and Smoltz stay healthy, they're the team to beat. Not to mention that Buchholz could rebound and Bowden is coming up. I believe the Sox have the most upside out of any AL East team; they could win the division or finish in 3rd place.

Also, even though the Rockies traded away Matt Holliday, their bullpen has the potential to get a lot better (something that absolutely killed them last year). Nobody can replace Holliday's bat, but they gain a lot with addition by subtraction, non-tendering Willy Taveras. A bad top of the order hurt their offense a lot, and a resurgent Tulowitzki (who arguably had the best second half out of anyone in baseball), and Spilborghs playing everyday will let them improve a lot. If Atkins can play anywhere near his '06 level, Helton can contribute, Stewart replaces Holliday, and their starters play to their talent, they'll win the West. They'll play better with lower expectations.

The Dodgers have lost Lowe, which is on top of the fact they look mediocre all around. They didn't look anywhere near great, and their roster looks pretty uninspiring. They'll compete for the division, but Colorado in my mind is better. The Giants are one big bat away from winning the division, because their rotation looks outstanding. Arizona is STOCKED with young pitchers and young hitters. They can be one of the best teams in the league, which they showed flashes of last year, or they can be a second place team. Colorado and Arizona can both be great or average.

Cliff's Notes Version:

1)Yanks not greatly improved; Tampa can improve or regress (sophomore slump); Boston has a ton of upside depending on health

2)Dodgers seem overrated and possibly destined for 3rd place; don't sleep on the Rockies; Arizona can be great or tread water

Phillies are still WAY better then the mets, both Ryan Howard and Chase Utley(and possibly Jimmy Rollins) are better then any position player on the mets and with the Mets unable to sign C.C., Burnett or Lowe there rotation beyond Mr. Santana (Barring a breakout season for Pelfey) is still worse off then the phils.

Cubs will romp through the central, though pointlessly as they couldn't win a little league world series, let alone a real one.

NL West is hard to call, but the dodgers have the talent if they can put it all together, but then again so do the D-Backs.

The AL West is still the angels to lose, but they are going to need one of those young Super Prospects they've been sitting on for years to step up and provide some protection for Vlad if they want to hold off the A's, well that or they could swap one or two for a Holiday, so he can follow Tex to NY afterwards... :D

AL Central is also very difficult to call The Twins have 2 young guys in Gomez and D. Young who could break out and tun them into a monster, The indians and White sox are also very talented, in the end though i think the Bullpen of the Twins will win the day.

In the East i really think the rays are gonna be one hit wonders, There Rotation and Pen arn't gonna keep pace with the Sox or Yanks. The Red Sox are good but you can expect a big Dropoff in production from Youk and Pedroia both overacheived last year, if Papi cant come back and pick up their slack the Sox offense will suffer. The Rotation is solid but so is the yanks. The Yankees lineup is downright scary, the first five Batter have average career marks of .372 for On Base Percentage and .289 for Batting Average and the 1-3 staters have a combined ERA of 3.65 over the past 2 seasons this team could be scary good if injuries stay away.

AL East:

Red Sox (X)

Rays (Y)

Yankees

Jays

O's

AL Central

Indians (X)

Twins

White Sox

Tigers

Royals

AL West:

A's (X)

Angels

Rangers

M's

NL East:

Mets (X)

Phillies (Y)

Braves

Marlins

Nats

NL Central:

Cubs (X)

Cards

Brewers

Astros

Reds

Pirates

NL West:

DBacks (X)

Dodgers

Giants

Rockies

Padres

ALDS:

Red Sox vs. A's

Indians vs. Rays

NLDS:

Cubs vs. Phillies

Mets vs. DBacks

ALCS:

Rays vs. Red Sox

NLCS:

Phillies vs. DBacks

World Series:

Red Sox vs. DBacks ... and Red Sox win.

this is obviously extremely early, but we can always do these again after ST. Predictions should be made early on instead of in the middle of August.

Cliff's Notes Version:

1)Yanks not greatly improved; Tampa can improve or regress (sophomore slump); Boston has a ton of upside depending on health

Well, that's it right there. May as well cancel the season for the Yankees and I'd better find something else to do to occupy my time this coming summer.

Well, that's it right there. May as well cancel the season for the Yankees and I'd better find something else to do to occupy my time this coming summer.

why are you so bitter? Various people have stated that it's very early to make predictions, but that doesn't mean they can't have a go at it. Besides, I don't see much wrong in the statement you quoted.

how is texeria, sabathia, burnett not an upgrade over mussina, pettite and abreu? thanks rediculous if you think otherwise. yes, burnett has a tendencey to be hurt over the last few seasons, but if he's healthy, he's really good, take a look at last season. and sabathia, one of the best pitchers in the game today, id gladly take him over pettite and mussina any day of the week. *rant off*

how is texeria, sabathia, burnett not an upgrade over mussina, pettite and abreu? thanks rediculous if you think otherwise. yes, burnett has a tendencey to be hurt over the last few seasons, but if he's healthy, he's really good, take a look at last season. and sabathia, one of the best pitchers in the game today, id gladly take him over pettite and mussina any day of the week. *rant off*

What you wrote was just about what I was thinking. This was a Red Sox fan's opinion of what he thinks should happen this year because if it did, it would be beneficial for his team. That's why I sarcastically dismissed it. I'm not "bitter", I just didn't agree with it.

As I said before, it's too early to predict. How about I make a thread and predict next year's NFL results? I mean the season starts in September. May as well get right on it.

Considering Burnett only has good seasons when his team is out of the playoff race or its his contract year, I am not worried at all by that choke artist.

Considering Burnett only has good seasons when his team is out of the playoff race or its his contract year, I am not worried at all by that choke artist.

Can't argue with that. He's got to prove his worth. And the same goes for A-Rod. He needs to show the world that he knows how to swing the bat in October and get base hits.

There's nothing settled with these Yankees yet. Sure I am happy about the players we got, but the games got to be played. That team has a lot to prove to me because all I saw from them was a gutless and heartless team last year.

Can't argue with that. He's got to prove his worth. And the same goes for A-Rod. He needs to show the world that he knows how to swing the bat in October and get base hits.

There's nothing settled with these Yankees yet. Sure I am happy about the players we got, but the games got to be played. That team has a lot to prove to me because all I saw from them was a gutless and heartless team last year.

I think that A-Rod, Cano and Jeter need to start hitting. Our Pitching staff was great last season, but our lineup sucked.

I think that A-Rod, Cano and Jeter need to start hitting. Our Pitching staff was great last season, but our lineup sucked.

I agree, especially about those three idiots who did nothing all last year. It's just that we have people in here that get very nervous when they perceive the Yankees having a good year.

I still don't fully understand as to why everyone is so hateful of A-Rod. It just surprises me that you would want a guy who has hit .303 with 42 HRs and 123 RBIs on average for the last 5 years to start hitting. Granted his post-season struggles have been well documented, but it hasn't been just A-Rod that has struggled in the off-season. It's just been talked about the most because the Yankees have not been able to win a WS title with him in the lineup.

In any case, I do think this is the off-season that the Yankees went after all the right players. One of the toughest divisions in baseball just got even tougher with all the new additions to the respective teams.

Here's what I predict will happen- (X)=Division Winner (Y)=Wild Card

AL East-

Yankees (X)

Red Sox (Y)

Rays

Orioles

Jays

AL Central-

Twins (X)

Indians

White Sox

Tigers

Royals

AL West-

Angels (X)

Athletics

Rangers

Mariners

NL East-

Mets (YEAH!) (X)

Phillies (Y) :wacko: :wacko: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Braves

Nationals

Marlins

NL Central-

Cubs (X)

Cardinals

Astros

Brewers

Reds

Pirates

NL West-

Dodgers (X)

Giants

Rockies

D-Backs

Padres

Playoff Scenarios- DIVISION SERIES

2009 NLDS- Mets vs Cubs========Mets in 4 (Self Explanatory)(Sorry Eric)

Phillies vs Dodgers======== (Phillies in 3)

2009 ALDS- Yankees vs Twins======== Yankees in 3

Red Sox vs Angels======= Sox in 5

Playoff Scenarios- CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

2009 NLCS- Mets vs Phillies=======Mets in 7 (YEAH I SAID IT)

2009 ALCS- Yankees vs Red Sox======Yankees in 5

Playoff Scenarios- WORLD SERIES

2009 World Series- Mets vs Yankees========Yankees in 6 :( :(

2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS- NEW YORK YANKEES

What do you guys think will happen?!

Yep, It'll be a 3 game sweep. Mine as well get it out of the way.

I wrote a long post about the Yankees, and I must have hit the wrong button or something, because it's gone now. Anyway, I'll give a shortened version.

Although the Yanks are set up in the long term much better with Sabathia/Burnett/Teixeira vs. Pettitte/Mussina/Abreu, they're not THAT big of an upgrade. Someone, whether it be FanGraphs or whatever (I can't find the original article), crunched the numbers and gave the Yankees an extra 5 wins with those players. That amounts to 94 wins, good for 3rd place in the east. Sabathia's CHONE projections are similar to Mussina's numbers from last year, and Burnett (with only 167 innings instead of 204 for Pettitte) and Teixeira are both upgrades.

The Yanks are sure to have rebound years from Hughes, Wang, and probably Cano. However, Jeter (34), Posada (37), Damon (35), and Matsui (34), are all likely to decline. Matsui and Posada both have had significant health issues lately. Teixeira and Cano are going to have to make huge impacts for the Yankees' lineup to get significantly better, to combat the regression. There could be run scoring issues if the top of the lineup with Jeter and Damon if they're not producing.

The Yankees, top to bottom, are a better team than they were last year. However, they're not an outstanding juggernaut guaranteed to win the World Series and the AL East, like some on ESPN seem to suggest.

As for Tampa, if they can avoid the '08 Rockies perfect storm, they'll likely be better than they were last year. They have the best farm system in the AL East, which will give them trade pieces. They've got their big righty bat in Pat Burrell. They've also got David Price coming into the rotation. Barring a perfect storm, they should be the favorites.

The Red Sox success largely depends on the health of Ortiz, Drew, and Lowell. Considering that Ortiz and Lowell spent time last year either hurt or out altogether, I believe that unless all 3 are out for significant amounts of time, the Red Sox will be close to as good as last year. Josh Beckett's health is also a question mark, and that will be another lynch pin to their success. Penny/Smoltz/Saito won't be as much of a factor as they're not being depended on to contribute. It's like found money with them. The Sox also may have a rebound year from Clay Buchholz, and an appearance by Michael Bowden. They also have farm system pieces to make a big trade (I doubt they will).

Certainly, the Yanks were the big winners over the winter. They've added players that will be contributors for the near future. However, the numbers don't suggest that there is a Big Apple sized impact on the Yankees for next year. They definitely will compete for the AL East, and probably the World Series. I just don't see them as a dominant team.

Oh, and it isn't too early for predictions. As of now, much of the league's impact free agents have found their destinations. The AL East, and maybe the entire AL, is pretty much set for now. Jake Peavy is likely to stay in the NL, Manny is likely to stay in the NL, Adam Dunn is likely to stay in the NL. Unless someone in the East gets a guy like Sheets or Abreu, which is highly doubtful, the AL is set.

If the Mets get Ollie back and then Ben Sheets, I will be happy with my usual prediction of the Mets winning the World Series :p . Won't Sheets get hurt? Yes. That's where Tim Redding comes in. Jon Garland could also be a possibility. Plus, Utley's out until June, so the Mets should have no problem at least building a division lead (barring some weird miracles in the Braves' offense). The problem, of course, will be keeping that lead. There's always that other thing.

Sheets, Ollie, Manny AND Orlando Hudson. That would be nice wouldn't it?

and it's a shame Castillo is still on this team, I think he's a cancer.

If they do these moves, Mets win division.

It would be nice but there's a just so many players a team can pick up that have been offered arbitration before they run out of draft picks. Orlando is not needed. And Castillo isn't a cancer as everyone thinks. He'll be better. The offense was good last year but the bullpen which they mostly addressed was one of the worst. It's hard to win games when your team keeps on going to the bullpen with a lead and the bullpen blows them as fast as Paris in a youtube video. I would continue but it would be too much about the Mets.

BTW -- I revise my predictions. Sorry for picking the Padres to win the World Series over the Rays. I now pick the Royals to win instead.

Archived