Will You *Celebrate* When Bonds Passes Ruth..

..and eventually Aaron?

I have a ton of mixed feelings about all of this. For one, I'm glued to the T.V. when the Giants are playing, knowing Bonds' every at bat will be televised. On the other hand, it's more than likely he 'cheated' to get to where he's at.

People are downplaying the fact the he will pass Babe Ruth (since Aaron holds the record) for 2nd place on the all time home run list, but in reality it IS a big deal. There's only been one man on the planet to have accomplished this feat. It's not THE record...yet.

There is no 'proof' that he took steriods, other than the fact that his head is the size of a Volkswagon Bug, and his body now resembles a somewhat smaller Scharwzenegger. I have not read Game of Shadows yet, so I have no 'inside info' on his use of steroids, other than what my eyes have seen.

Obviously, he's gonna break Ruth's record any day now, and no matter how much I try to look away, I can't. It IS an exciting time. Personally, I think he's juiced, but I hate to make accusations without positive TECHNICAL proof.

With all of this being said, I still think Bonds is the best hitter in the history of baseball. I've watched him his whole career, and he was just as dangerous in the 'pre steroid' days. Maybe not quite as much power, but no doubt dangerous. One mistake and he will wax you. Period.

I won't necessarily 'celebrate', but I WILL watch.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well i will Celebrate when he does pass Ruth ... isnt in the American Way .. Innocent Till Proven Guilty . i seen no proof of Bonds using Steriods and i don't Beleive in Slanderous Books

And untill Other Proof Comes to the Public . No one can take it away from him ...

Personally I will not recognize his records nor recognize any baseball records set by players that used steroids.

I hope baseball eventually handles this in that same fashion. This, in my opinion, could mean the end of a great game based heavily on history, tradition and records.

Take Care,

Don

I'll celebrate only when Bonds retires. I hope he doesn't pass Ruth or Aaron. Bonds is only good for the game in the fact that he brings in money. But as far as being good for the history, no he's not. Nor was McGwire, Sosa, or any one else from the 'roids era. Everyone has bought in this "Chicks dig the long ball" way of thought and have gotten away from the great game that baseball is.

My question is... Will Bonds celebrate.

Btw... while it did not happen in the U.S. there is another player by the name of Sadaharu Oh who played for the Yomiuri Giants in Japan who also broke the record. In fact, by hitting 868 homeruns he hit even more than Hank Aaron did. So in fact whilst he did not do it in the U.S., he is in fact the true homerun king.

I'll celebrate if something happens that means he cannot pass Babe Ruth's mark for home runs. Not to wish injury on him or anyone else, but maybe he blows up, has a fight with the Giants manager, is benched for the season and retires. That would be most pleasing.

I'll celebrate if something happens that means he cannot pass Babe Ruth's mark for home runs. Not to wish injury on him or anyone else, but maybe he blows up, has a fight with the Giants manager, is benched for the season and retires. That would be most pleasing.

If in fact he did take steroids, at 713 I would've liked to have seen him intentionally walked EVERY TIME he came to the plate, until he finally decided to hang it up for good. Every opposing team would converge to prove a point. Cheaters just don't get in.

Instead of the Hall of Fame, his plaque would be forever enshrined in the Hall of Shame. Now THAT would be some baseball history.

i'll celebrate his passing of Ruth because he has yet to be proven of anything. sure, i see all the signs and reasons that point to the possibility of him having juiced, but he has yet to fail a test - the only "proof" comes from books written by people that, as far as i can tell, just don't like him and want to make money.

if something ever comes out that proves he used - and not just another hearsay book (next one will probably be by Cory Lidle) - then I'll reevaulate my stance. but until then, i'll be cheering each shot.

(I do hope that he retires after this year though - it's been a good run but the Giants need to start life after Bonds)

I'll celebrate him passing Ruth but not Aaron. And let me just say, I'm not playing the race card, but rather, I don't want Bonds to beat Aaron's record (due to alleged steroid use). And even if he never took steroids, I don't want him to pass Aaron because Aaron was an Atlanta Brave.

I am somewhat of a stickler when when people refer to Aaron as a Atlanta Brave. He was definitely a Brave, but I tend to think of him as a Milwaukee player. He was with the Braves before they moved, and after he left the braves he went on to play for the Brewers. As for Bonds, I won't celebrate, but if I cant prove it otherwise I'll be forced to accept his numbers as official, much as I may hate it.

I'll celebrate him passing Ruth but not Aaron. And let me just say, I'm not playing the race card, but rather, I don't want Bonds to beat Aaron's record (due to alleged steroid use). And even if he never took steroids, I don't want him to pass Aaron because Aaron was an Atlanta Brave.

Think of all the things Aaron went through (racial) in his run during the 60's and 70's as he was climbing the ladder to Ruth's record. Death threats, threats on his family, and so on..

Bonds could have used all the steroids known to mankind, but he will never be as physically strong as Aaron had to be mentally. Not to mention the comparison in their characters. Aaron was a team player, Bonds only 'claims' to be as he makes his way to his exclusive, individual locker room with all the luxuries that only Mark Cuban would approve of.

With that being said, even if he DIDN'T take steroids, I would rather Aaron hold on to the record.

i'll celebrate his passing of Ruth because he has yet to be proven of anything. sure, i see all the signs and reasons that point to the possibility of him having juiced, but he has yet to fail a test - the only "proof" comes from books written by people that, as far as i can tell, just don't like him and want to make money.

if something ever comes out that proves he used - and not just another hearsay book (next one will probably be by Cory Lidle) - then I'll reevaulate my stance. but until then, i'll be cheering each shot.

(I do hope that he retires after this year though - it's been a good run but the Giants need to start life after Bonds)

100% agree with ya

100% agree with ya

sorry but i 0% agree with you guys. the reporters who wrote game of shadows (best book ever) had grand jury testimonies that were leaked to the public ear. in those statements, bonds said he didnt know such substances were steroids (which means he took them, he said it), but then again, who has a personal trainer with him more than 12 hours a day and doesnt know what goes through his body. his trainer is also a known steroid dealer and user. what proof do you need? with or without steroids, bonds isnt getting the all time record and second place doesnt matter to me. in less than a few years, bonds' records will be eliminated from the history books or asterisked and next to it the asterisk will read "player used steroids/illegal substances).

Hell no, I refuse to celebrate.

1. He stated he has no intention of passing Aaron, just Ruth. Rascist? I don't know, it depends on how you look at it.

2. He's a jackass. I don't like people that think they're better than everyone else. He's not a team player, Aaron was and Ruth was as well.

3. Regardless of whether he has taken/is taking steriods, he grew too quickly. The old Bonds, I didn't have a problem with. But the new Bonds, I have a hard time taking him seriously.

4. Too hurt to run for fly balls, but he's healthy enough to try to break a record. My ***. He doesn't care about anything but himself.

5. He makes people pay to use his likeness and image. Petty argument, maybe. But it's still rediculous.

I just don't like him, and I will not celebrate Bonds in any way, shape or form. I will hold that statement to my death. The same goes for any player that I think is a jackass and not a team player.

Hell no, I never liked him, and I emphasize, b/c of the steroid use. Sorry, whoever roots for this guy is as hopeless a case as Bonds is. Every commentator and expert confirms it, as soon as the Mitchell investigation is over, BONDS WILL BE SUSPENDED. How he can even face his own family, celebrating something that has been achieved through cheating is beyond me.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Archived