So how is it?

UncleMo

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got mine last night. Quick download, no problems.

First, I recommend everyone to read the readme file. It helps. Kraw says it is a very good idea to do a fresh install, so I figured who was I to argue, and I did. I installed the game in C:MVP Baseball 2006 (pretty clever!) and then after that was finished, I installed the 06 mod over it. Kraw said it takes about ten minutes to install and sure enough it did. I got into it and it was, and words can't even begin to describe what I felt.....so I'll just say I was stunned by what these men did. It is a wonderful, wonderful mod. Thank you so much to Kraw and Hory and Totte and every modder who had a hand in it.

Kraw says it is a very good idea to do a fresh install, so I figured who was I to argue, and I did. I installed the game in C:MVP Baseball 2006 (pretty clever!) and then after that was finished, I installed the 06 mod over it. Kraw said it takes about ten minutes to install and sure enough it did.

Doing a fresh install is all well and good, BUT...there are some provisos.

When doing a fresh install from the Original CDs it will ask if you want to PLAY or UNINSTALL. Some people may not want to uninstall something that they have previously modded with either the 61 or Classics mods, or may not know that they will do so, depending on what is in their registry. I edited my registry so that it would give me the option to install when I put the CD in.

That may sound confusing to some, but I'm sure that most of you know what I mean.

I'm only posting this because I'm sure that a lot of "support" issues may come down to such situations.

Also, I would say that it took a bit longer than 10 minutes to install on my machine, and that those that are impatient give it a chance, because there are some pauses between some of the actions involved in the install. Just sit and wait, you will see a window that will tell you that the install is finished.

y4l, did you install the patches or do they come in the mod... should it be fresh install, patches, and then mod, or just fresh install, mod?

The readme in the archive file spells all this out. Fresh install, then patch (either #3 or #5 - I did #5), then the MVP06 mod.

Works great and looks phenomenal. Now I'm just waiting to see if enough people experience the studdering so that somebody will come up with a way to "turn down" the unis back to 1x. lol. If not, I'm probably just SOL since I can't "do it myself" - which is a lot of people's favorite response around here.

y4l, did you install the patches or do they come in the mod... should it be fresh install, patches, and then mod, or just fresh install, mod?

The patches did not come with the mod. I installed the game, then patches, then the mod.

I believe we have the five EA patches on this website. If not, I got them.

Now I'm just waiting to see if enough people experience the studdering so that somebody will come up with a way to "turn down" the unis back to 1x

- Copy the "compressed.zip" off your MVP 2005 Disc 1

- Unzip the file somewhere

- Open the original models.big with BIGgui

- Have a new folder ready, name it models

- Export all the uniform files there (I think they are called U00x.fsh etc.)

- bring the folder with all the old uniform files to your main MVP 2005 directory

- Use Krawhitham's generic installer (available on EAmods.com, or an older one somewhere here) to update the models.big

- The old 1x grainy uniforms are back!

It seems like a ton of steps but it's easy when you're used to it...

1st - Well, the "studdering" is back, of course. I'm pretty sure it was decided it was the fault of 2x uniforms the first time around (the original beta), and it's back in full effect now. Does anybody know how to downgrade JUST the uniforms? (I'll be sad to see the catcher's gear, etc, go, but I'd rather have smooth gameplay)

Same file and fix as before

Also - How do I know if I need to "turn it down" to 1x uniforms? And what does 1x or 2x mean anyway?

The "1x" and "2x" refer to the level of detail (resolution) the uniforms (and other graphics) are saved as before being displayed in the game.

The original, out-of-the-box game had all "1x" graphics, meaning they were "one times" of the original quality.

The majority of modders around here use "2x" graphics when they make a change to uniforms, gloves, the ball, bats, stadium textures, etc. because they make things look better, crisper. This means these new files are "two times" the quality of the original graphics.

The problem arises for people (like me) that have somewhat older PC's or graphics cards, and they handled the original (1x) graphics just fine, but once there's so much newer (2x) stuff to be rendered all at once, it causes a problem that has been dubbed "Stuttering." That's where the gameplay gets choppy. It is often most noticeable when the ball is thrown across the infield (and thus numerous players are all visible at once), or when pitching, usually after the pitch is thrown and the pitcher is preparing to re-set himself (there can be a pause). Also, ocasionally, it will hiccup (or stutter) while the pitch-meter is moving. Obviously, THAT is the real problem for people who get this "stuttering" issue with all the 2x graphics.

I hope this answers your question.

Also - How do I know if I need to "turn it down" to 1x uniforms? And what does 1x or 2x mean anyway?

1x- original resolution

2x doubled resolution, but could make you computer run slower if its not up to par

EDIT-- Answered better in above post.

Archived