MVP Mods Official Question Of The Day Thread

DJEagles

I can't believe no one has mentioned Baseball Stars for the NES yet. I was hooked on that one for a long time. It had a realistic feel to it for it's time and you could customize player names and stuff. Loved Triple Play too, think I started on TP98 on the PSX. In 2000 got the PC version and have been playing the EA series on the PC since. But I have to go with MVP2005 for the best sports game, the dynasty mode alone has kept me coming back to this game and the mods don't hurt either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer my own question:

I would give the Blue Jays a new open air stadium...a nice intimate 35,000 seat park...real grass, everything that goes into a baseball park...

You sure about that? I remember seeing that team at the old Exhibition Stadium they played in when they first got in the league. With an open air stadium you are going to have a lot of rainouts and snow cancellations.

I just find it hard to watch baseball in the Rogers center...when I flip on Fox and see Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, Busch, Camden Yards etc...those Parks have a baseball look and feel to them. Rogers Center is a cave...a multi-sport pit.

I guess I would have to add a retractable roof, but I want it to look like a baseball park...be used strictly for the Jays...let the Toronto Argonauts keep the Rogers Center.

QOD: Now that Christmas is a little over three weeks away, what "Gifts" would you give your favorite baseball team, to make them better? IE. Players, New Location, Name Change, Etc...

I'd give them Carl Crawford and erase Mike Matheny's PCS (post-concussion syndrome). And then put a spell on Sabean making it impossible for him to sign anyone 35 or older.

• 5 weeks later...

My favorite moment was the five game sweep the Yankees did at Fenway Park. They played like a team and it showed.

My least favorite moment was the game four loss to Detroit in the playoffs, which made that same five game sweep back in August totally unimportant.

Took the words right out of my mouth...

My favorite moment was the five game sweep the Yankees did at Fenway Park. They played like a team and it showed.

My least favorite moment was the game four loss to Detroit in the playoffs, which made that same five game sweep back in August totally unimportant.

Co-signed.

I kind of forgot about this thread, so I will attempt to bring it back to life.

QOD: What is your favorite/least favorite sports moment from 2006?

The five game sweep and Melky robbing Manny were my favorites.

With the five game sweep, I was like "OK, lets just try to one two, guys. If we win just two, the division lead is tied". That whole thing was a shocker.

The chokers losing in Detroit was worst.

• 2 months later...

Question Of The Day:

Based on the just-released Forbes List: Who is your pick for the best G.M. in the MLB, and who is the worst?

LINK: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/co...DC?OpenDocument

Forbes' folly: Ranking Jocketty 47th among pro sports GMs

By Jeff Gordon

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

03/06/2007

Over in his Bird Land blog at STLtoday.com/cards, Derrick Goold raised some obvious objections to Forbes Magazine’s preposterous ranking of sports general managers.

Your cyber-correspondent can’t help but pile on. This august business publication came up with a formula that defied common sense and ignored some glaring shortcomings with some of those executives feted.

For instance, winning championships ought to be a positive. And perennial underachievement ought to be a negative.

Here was the Top 15, as presented by Forbes:

1. Kevin McHale, Minnesota Timberwolves

2. Jay Feaster, Tampa Bay Lightning

3. Billy King, Philadelphia 76ers

4. A.J. Smith, San Diego Chargers

5. Lou Lamoriello, New Jersey Devils

6. Don Waddell, Atlanta Thrashers

7. Marty Hurney, Carolina Panthers

8. Jerry Angelo, Chicago Bears

9. Bill Polian. Indianapolis Colts

10. John Paxson, Chicago Bulls

11. Geoff Petrie, Sacramento Kings

12. Glen Sather, New York Rangers

13. Jerry Jones, Dallas Cowboys

14. Pierre LaCroix, Colorado Avalanche

15. Joe Dumars, Detroit Pistons

Walt Jocketty was back at No. 47, one ahead of Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski. All Jocketty did last season was win his second National League pennant in three years, plus a World Series championship.

All Dombrowski did was win the American League pennant with a relatively modest budget, thanks to his painstaking development of terrific young pitching.

Jocketty ought to rank somewhere in the top 10 of any “Best GMs†list. He has kept the Cardinals in the hunt year after year while operating with about half the Yankees’ budget.

No general manager in any sport has done a better job filling holes with bargain pick-ups, a skill that has allowed him to lock in core players like Albert Pujols, Scott Rolen, Jim Edmonds and Chris Carpenter to long-term deals.

Now that the Cards are developing good young pitching, too, his resume is complete. There are a lot of sharp guys out there -– Dombrowski, John Schuerholz (just 41st on this list!), Theo Epstein, Brian Sabean and my guy Ned Colletti – but Walt ranks with any of them.

Elsewhere on the local front, Charley Armey was listed at 54 -– even though he isn’t the GM anymore and hasn’t had real clout at Rams Park in ages. In his heyday, he was also a top 10 GM. Armey helped build two NFC Champions and one Super Bowl champion.

The Rams defied the odds to remain quite good for quite a while despite the salary cap restrictions.

Blues general manager Larry Pleau was next at 55, which was about right. He kept the Blues consistently competitive until Bill and Nancy Laurie pulled the plug last season.

His downfall: Failing to reach the Stanley Cup finals while the Lauries were spending top dollar on the Blues. What is it about “find an elite goaltender†that Larry didn’t get?

Although he stayed around as GM with the New Regime, Blues president John Davidson is making all the final calls on hockey matters.

Here are some other thoughts on the survey:

* Kevin McHale No. 1? Why? With multi-talented Kevin Garnett to build around, he has done nothing with the T-Wolves.

* The New England Patriots don’t have a general manager per se, but I’m inclined to rank Bill Belichick at the top of any GM list. He is ultimately in charge of that football operation, right? No team does more year after the year, despite onerous cap restrictions.

* Billy King No. 3 on the Forbes list? Why? The only valuable player the 76ers had, Allen Iverson, is gone. Now King will get to prove whether or not he really is a genius.

* Don Waddell, ranked sixth by Forbes, just overpaid for Keith Tkachuk. Why? Because the Thrashers ownership group seems ready to fire him if the team doesn’t make a big run this spring. Atlanta is losing interest in his team.

So, yeah, No. 6 seems a bit high for him.

* Glen Sather ranked 12th on this list. No executive in the history of sports is more overrated. After he lost Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier in Edmonton for economic reasons, his poor drafting and hit-or-miss trading doomed the Oilers to mediocrity. Then he went to New York to build a consistently underachieving big-budget team. He is a disaster.

* Elgin Baylor was 46th on the list, even though most of his 21 years with the Los Angeles Clippers were unmitigated disasters. No executive in modern sports history has lasted longer while doing less to help his franchise win.

* One notch behind Pleau was Mike Keenan, the former Architect of Doom for the Florida Panthers. His inability to lock in star goaltender Roberto Luongo -– and his inability to deal him for something useful -– capped a spectacularly futile run with that franchise.

How Iron Mike doesn’t rank in the bottom 10 of this list -– down there with Matt Millen (Detroit Lions), Mike Brown (Cincinnati Bengals) and Mike Lombardi (Oakland Raiders) -- is a mystery.

Ultimately, sports GMs are judged on their ability to produce consistently good teams. They seldom get to set their budgets and they certainly can’t control injuries.

But they do hire the coaches, make the trades, sign the free agents and oversee the drafts. In Jocketty’s case, he gives Tony La Russa, Dave Duncan and Co. the freedom and resources needed to compete every season.

Working within budget restrictions brings out the best in Jocketty. He is exacting with all his moves. He seeks maximum value for his payroll investment. He refuses to overpay mediocrity or gamble large dollars on temperamental players.

He can’t afford to hope. He has to know. If a player flops, as Tino Martinez did, he’ll have to eat the dead money on his budget.

As a result, Jocketty seldom makes a mistake. He might be a better GM with a $100 million payroll than he would be with a $120 million budget.

If Forbes does this survey again next year, maybe the writers will appreciate his success.

Co-signed, Jeff Gordon!

Archived