* Bringing Back the Boston Glory Days *

redsox

[align=center]bostonbannerju5.jpg[/align]

Game 6 of 162 : Boston Red Sox (3-2) @ Toronto Blue Jays (3-2)

[align=center]Blue Jays flex their muscle to hand down a horrific loss to the Red Sox[/align]

[align=center]game6is4.jpg[/align]

The Blue Jays showcased their offense today and laid to rest any doubts about their so-called weak offense. Shea Hillenbrand led the hungry Blue Jays pack with a grand-slam homerun in the bottom of the 5th off of Manny Delcarmen to blow the game wide open. John Hallama, making a spot-start in place of the injured David Wells, lasted only 3.2 innings as he gave up 10 hits and 4ER. Halama did have his moments when he and Delcarmen joined forces to stop a single run from scoring when the bases were loaded and no body was out. When Manny Delcarmen came into the game, he was very fierce and hit his spots well. He constantly hit 96MPH with his fastball but these experienced Blue Jays hitters made adjustments and his fastball turned out to be extremely easy for them to hit. Hillenbrand's grand-slam was the direct result of Delcarmen relying heavily on his fastball.

Roy Halliday pitched a great game after being hammered in his first start of the season. He went 7 strong innings and gave up 2ER and had 4 strikeouts. The Red Sox did try to mount a comeback but the deficit was too much to handle and the rally was too late in the game. David Ortiz did hit is first homerun of the season; a monsterous 3-run blast that landed in the RF upperdecks.

[align=center]game6bsy3.jpg[/align]

Roy Halliday - "I had everything going for me tonight. I was constantly finding the spots with my cutter and kept throwing my knuckle-curve to keep them off balanced. It is always a good feeling when you can take 2 out of 3 from a team from your own division. This should give us enough momentum to go after the undefeated Baltimore Orioles."

The Red Sox will be looking forward to return home as they have always faired well at Fenway Park. The game against the Yankees will begin after their ring ceremony where the 04 Red Sox players and legendary players such as Johnny Pesky will be honored.

[align=center]g6axi3.jpg[/align]

[align=center]g6bka7.jpg[/align]

[align=center]g6ckc6.jpg[/align]

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know how to get rid off that white background in the picture above?

I did use a transparent background in Photoshop but it still came out like that.

Any suggestions/comments regarding this dynasty and its format are more than welcome. Thanks.

Great dynasty, I love the "retro day" idea. Mind if I use it once or twice in my dynasty?

Yes you are more than welcome to. It would be nice to say what kind of format you can come up with.

Nice to know that you are enjoying this dynasty.

Game 7 of 162 : New York Yankees (1-5) @ Boston Red Sox (3-3)

[align=center]Ghosts of Red Sox past witness home-opener victory - Wakefield flirts with a no-hitter[/align]

[align=center]game7vx8.jpg[/align]

On a very emotional and historic home-opener, the Boston Red Sox defeated the New York Yankees by a score of 2-1. It was a classic game filled with great pitching, exceptional defense, and timely hitting. With the retro-jerseys being worn by the players, it really looked like we had gone back in time to 1900s. Following a very eventful ring ceremony, the Sox took the field in hopes of defeating their arch-rivals. Verteran knucleballer took the mound for the Sox and pitched an exceptional game.

He took a no-hitter into the ninth inning but lost it when Yankees leadoff hitter, Tony Womack, smacked a single up the middle. After a sacrifice bunt by Derek Jeter, Gary Sheffield drove home the sole Yankee run of the day. Apart from that ninth inning, the Yankees were not able to touch Wakefield as his knucleball was dancing left and right. None of the Yankee hitters looked comfortable against him and it clearly showed. Tino Martinez was made to look like a fool when a Wakefield knucleball danced its way into the glove of Doug Mirabelli. Martinez had no idea what to do with that pitch and swung haplessly at it only to be struckout.

The Sox offense relied on two batters - Bill Mueller and Edgar Rentaria. Mueller was finally able to break the 0-0 game in the bottom of the 5th when he took a forkball down and in from Chien-Ming Wang and drove it for a homerun near the Pesky pole. After the Yankees had tied the game up in the top of the ninth, Edgar Rentaria, in the bottom of the ninth became a fan favorite when he took a 2-2 pitch from Mike Stanton and crushed it over the green monster for a walk-off homerun. It was a fitting finale for a memorable day at Fenway Park.

[align=center]game7bkl0.jpg[/align]

Edgar Rentaria - "I finally know what it feels like to play at Fenway Park as the home player. The energy that I felt cannot be described at all. It was unbelievable man. I cannot really describe what I felt when I hit that walk-off homerun and all the fans just started to cheer. But this day is more than just my walk-off homerun. I mean looking at Johnny Pesky receiving the World Series ring - that is something special. There is a reason why he is being called 'Mr. Red Sox.'"

Johnny Pesky - "This day has just been totally remarkable. There is nothing more an old man like me can ask for. The Sox win on a walk-off homerun on the same day the Red Sox past and present are honored for their efforts. Jeter came up to me and wished me well and congratulated me for everything. That kid is a classy player. I wished him the best of luck and I will tell you something - he is just going to get better. Also, it was great to see my old friends again though I regret nothing being able to see and talk to Ted Williams. God rest his soul."

Joe Torre - "It is hard for us to yet again suffer a loss like this. A 1-6 record is not what we had expected to start off with but the Red Sox just out-played us in everyway. Wang was sensational and he did a great job when asked to spot-start at a time when we are riddled with injuries. But apart from the game, this day has been really great. To see these fans pour their heart and soul for a team that has made history last season is just great. The chance to meet with Johnny Pesky and Carl Yastrzemski and Jim Rice and many others; this is really something. The front office have really done a great job with this ceremony today."

Derek Jeter - "Mr. Pesky is just a great act. His dedication and loyalty to this team is unopposable. I take great pride in telling everyone that I got to meet him on this glorious occation."

[align=center]g7aea7.jpg[/align]

[align=center]g7bbk3.jpg[/align]

[align=center]g7cym9.jpg[/align]

As a Yankee fan, I like it! I have already been following (and will still do so). Love the retro idea.

Thats huge coming from a Yankees fan :smile: . And nice to know that you are liking the dynasty. Stay tune for more. I have some more ideas up my sleeve.

Game 8 of 162 : New York Yankees (1-6) @ Boston Red Sox (4-3)

[align=center]Derek Jeter turns into an 'one man wrecking crew'[/align]

[align=center]game8vc5.jpg[/align]

Fenway Park witnessed 'El Capitan' in all his glory as Jeter blasted 3 HR and drove home 7 runs as the Yankees won the second game of the 3 game series 8 to 5. With a good pitching performance by Mike Mussina, the Yankees were able to answer offensively to topple the Red Sox. But even Mussina couldn't hold down the Sox for long as the Red Sox rallied back to cut the lead down to 3. But with Flash Gordon and Mariano Rivera pitching the 8th and 9th innings, the Sox's rally fell short. The only offense the Yankees got apart from Jeter was a monsterous solo blast from Jorge Posada in the top of the second inning. Mussina had a great outing until the bottom of the seventh inning when fatigue kicked in and gave up a 3-run blast. The Sox are one of the better teams at working the pitch count. One negative aspect for the Yankees was the fact that Gary Sheffield still wasn't able to get it going. He went 0-5 with 2 SO on the night and his batting average dropped to .100. Infact, the Yankee bombers are yet to get it going as a group. Currently only Bernie Williams and Rey Sanchez have a batting average of above .235.

Boston got its offense from home runs as well as Johnny Damon and Kevin Millar hit solo shots in the first and second inning respectively to give the Sox a 2-1 lead after the second inning. The score would stay that way until the 7th innning when Trot Nixon capitalized on a tired Mussina and blasted a 3-run blast to cut the lead down to 3. But that would be all the offense that they were able to get and Gordon and Rivera shut down the Sox in the last 2 innings. Jason Varitek struggled mightly today as he struck out all four times he was up at the plate inspite of the fact that he ran Mussina's pitch count with 2 9-pitch at-bats. Pitching-wise, Clement did start off on the right track but left too many pitches right down the middle and the Yankees didn't miss those chances. The Sox and the Yanks will play the rubber match of the series tomorrow night as Kevin Brown takes on Wade Miller.

[align=center]game8bma8.jpg[/align]

Jason Varitek - "It was a tough game for us out there. We were not able to capitalize on some chances and the Yankees just decided to beat us with long balls. Jeter is classy player and showed us why he is one of the best. Hopefully we will re-bound in tomorrow's game. We can't take every single loss to heart since we won't be able to concentrate on the games that we are going to be playing."

Joe Torre - "Derek Jeter showed us the way with his spectacular offense but the main thing is for all of us to kick in at the same time. This 2-6 start is not something that I was hoping for and we would need to start playing a lot better. It was a much needed win for us but we all need to realize that we can't win by hitting home runs alone."

[align=center]g8aup1.jpg[/align]

[align=center]g8bzx8.jpg[/align]

[align=center]g8czt1.jpg[/align]

Game 9 of 162 : New York Yankees (2-6) @ Boston Red Sox (4-4)

[align=center]Yankees take the series behind a strong pitching performance by Kevin Brown[/align]

[align=center]game9sp0.jpg[/align]

The season series between the Red Sox and Yankees are tied at 1 a piece. The Yankees won today by a score of 3-1 to take the series here in Boston. Jorge Posada provided all the offense the Yankees would need by belting a two run homerun in the 6th inning. Kevin Brown, making his second start of the season, showcased an excellent pitching performance on a cool, beautiful night. Wade Miller also showcased shades of his stellar performances from 2001 to 2003, but did not have the offense to back him up. He left after 5.1 innings allowing just 4 hits and 3 ER and striking out 7.

The only offense the Red Sox were able to provide was Manny Ramirez's 4th home run of the season off of Kevin Brown. Jason Varitek continued to struggle as he went 0-3 with 2 more strikeouts. One bright spot was the fact that this Red Sox team is yet to commit an error (9 games into the season). Tino Martinez was hitting the ball well today as he went 3-3 with a BB and Rey Sanchez showed everyone why he was given preference over Robinson Cano by going 2-3 with a solo shot.

[align=center]game9bqr4.jpg[/align]

Terry Francona - "This was a game that we should have won, but we just kept missing key opportunities. But I have to give credit where its due and Kevin was just great tonight. Lets hope that our next series present us with a different result."

Kevin Brown - ""I was feeling great today. Jorge was phenominal in calling a great game and all I had to do was just hit the spots. I think we are slowly coming together as a team and now that we have 2-game winning streak, we hope to take this momentum into our next series."

[align=center]g9aaa8.jpg[/align]

[align=center]g9byd4.jpg[/align]

[align=center]g9cyw4.jpg[/align]

Game 10 of 162 : Tampa Bay Devil Rays (7-2) @ Boston Red Sox (4-5)

[align=center]A hair-raising win for the Sox in the 10th![/align]

[align=center]game10zr6.jpg[/align]

Johnny Damon, who had turned into a Boston icon in 2004 due to his long hair, turned up the heat today as he delievered a clutch RBI single in the bottom of the 10th as the Sox won 2-1 over the Devil Rays. These teams' first encounter of the season showcased exceptional pitching performances from Bronson Arroyo (BOS) and Hideo Nomo (TB). Nomo, who was signed by the Devil Rays just this week and making his first start, pitched like a true ace as he went 7.2 innings and gave up just 2 hits while striking out 6 Red Sox batters. The Devil Rays were actually leading 1-0 into the bottom of the 8th inning but Lance Carter couldn't hold down the Sox as he gave up 4 hits and an earned run to tie the game up. The Sox capitalized on the shift of momentum and won the game in the 10th when Johnny Damon smacked a RBI single to left field while scoring Ramon Vazquez.

Kevin Youkilis lead-off the bottom of the 10th with a double and Vazquez was intentionally walked to put the runners at 1st and 2nd. Edgar Rentaria came up to the plate in hopes of moving the runners up with a sacrifice bunt. But when he saw that Jorge Cantu at 3rd base was a tad bit back, Rentaria bunted for a base hit down that line. With the bases loaded and no-body out and with Damon, Ortiz, and Ramirez coming up, it was all but certain that the Sox would win the game and they did thanks to Damon.

Bronson Arroyo, in his second start of the season, was pheonomial as he threw for 7 strong innings. His line read 7 Inn. 5 hits, 1 ER and 3 SO. His slider was top notch today as the Devil Rays hitters had no clue as to how to hit it. But even with a line like that, he was in to lose the game because Nomo out-dueled him in every way. The Rays bullpen just couldn't hold it together in the later innings.

[align=center]game10blu4.jpg[/align]

David Ortiz - "Great game man. It was really a great game. Arroyo kept us in the game and Johnny came through in the clutch. He was just lights out today. But one thing is for sure, I need go have a talk with Damon man - need to tell him that getting clutch hits is my job and he shouldn't be stealing it. Ha Ha."

Aubrey Huff - "We are very sad that we couldn't win the game for Nomo. He came through for us big time. We had a strong momentum going into this game and we hope that we don't start slipping now that we had our 6 game winning steak come to an end."

[align=center]game10cyz3.jpg[/align]

VIDEO: Bronson Arroyo's nasty slider is no match for the Devil Rays hitters

[align=center]g10ahs6.jpg[/align]

[align=center]g10btz7.jpg[/align]

[align=center]g10ctw3.jpg[/align]

Archived