* Bringing Back the Boston Glory Days *

redsox

Yeah, I may do the same with the ratings, but it is very unlikely that I will trade for anyone this early. Besides, I don't have a roster spot for Crawford. I am extremely loyal to Nixon, and Manny and Damon are producing for me. There would be no place for Carl you know.

I was just joking about that.

And, I agree, I don't believe in trades within the first 2 months of the season. I might make a trade for some minor leaguers (nothing major).

But once June/All Star Break hits, I may, but not often, make a trade or two, but never anything major. Just for role players. I like realism, and the Cardinals' owners are tight wads and rarely make a play for major player (exception: Rolen).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just joking about that.

And, I agree, I don't believe in trades within the first 2 months of the season. I might make a trade for some minor leaguers (nothing major).

But once June/All Star Break hits, I may, but not often, make a trade or two, but never anything major. Just for role players. I like realism, and the Cardinals' owners are tight wads and rarely make a play for major player (exception: Rolen).

I think and play the same way. I limit my trades. In the dynasties I have played so far, I have made it a point to make 1 big trade (by the trade deadline), and 2-3 supporting trades (during the 1st half of the season - this usually includes just me signing some minor leaguers). I always like to build from within :smile: .

[align=center]bostonbannerju5.jpg[/align]

Game 20 of 162 : Baltimore Orioles (9-10) @ Boston Red Sox (9-10)

[align=center]Sox offense alive and well back home[/align]

Player of the Game: Bronson Arroyo (6 Inn, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO)

[align=center]game20aht5.jpg[/align]

[align=center]Left: Apart from a couple of wild pitches, Arroyo threw a great game today. Right: Daniel Cabrera didn't last long as he didn't have his best stuff today.

[/align]

It felt great to be back home for the Boston Red Sox as they won their first game of the 3-game home series against the Orioles with a final score of 7-4. The offense for the Sox was lead by Johnny Damon (1-4, 2 RBIs) and David Ortiz (2-4, 1 RBI, 1BB) while the Orioles had contributions from Sammy Sosa (2-5, 1 RBI) and Javy Lopez (3-5, 1 RBI). The Orioles drew first blood when Brian Roberts (3-4, 2 runs) scored on a RBI single by Sammy Sosa in the first.

Daniel Cabrera (1-2, 5.82 ERA) was lights out in the first inning when he struckout the side after walking Johnny Damon to begin the bottom of the 1st. But his sucess would be short lived as the Red Sox scored 4 runs in the bottom of the second to drive him out of the game after just pitching 2.1 innings. Baltimore scored their runs here and there and were not able to capitalize on chances provided by the Sox. After Luis Matos (2-4, 1 run) had doubled in a run in the top of the second, Trot Nixon (0-1, 2 BBs) lead off the bottom of second with a walk. Kevin Millar (2-4, 1 RBI, 2 runs) followed Nixon with a single to left field that put the runners at 1st and 2nd with no body out. After Jason Varitek had popped up to the 3rd baseman for the infield fly rule to come into effect, Bill Mueller (1-3, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 run) walked to load the bases. A groundout to the first baseman by Mark Belhorn (0-4, 1 RBI, 2 K's) saw the Red Sox score their first run of the game. Damon then smacked a two run double down the 3rd base line to put the Sox up by a score of 3-2. David Ortiz then smashed a RBI single of his own to make it 4-2 Red Sox. The inning ended when Ramirez struckout looking to a beautiful pitch from Cabrera. Sad thing is that Cabrera wasn't able to find his fastball before hand.

[align=center]game20bts8.jpg[/align]

[align=center]Left: Johnny Damon was busy on the base paths Right: This wild pitch was one Arroyo's two mistakes in the game.

[/align]

Daniel Cabrera was opposed by Bronson Arroyo (2-0, 2.74 ERA), who once again pitched a great game. He did make couple of mistakes when he allowed 2 runs to score on 2 wild pitches that even Varitek couldn't get a hold off. Apart from those minor mistakes, Arroyo threw a great game and lasted 6 innings. He allowed 3 earned runs while walking 2 and striking out 2. He has defintely pitched well so far - in the absence of their 2 big game pitchers - Schilling and Wells.

Game 2 of the series will feature Rodrigo Lopez for the Orioles and Lenny DiNardo for the Red Sox. It is very likely that the Sox will be making a roster change as they would like to bring in another pitcher to add to their bullpen. They have been using Jeremi Gonzalez a lot lately and would most likely be calling up John Halama to fill in the other long-relief slot in the bullpen.

[align=center]game20cll3.jpg[/align]

[align=center]Left: Mark Belhorn had another rough day as he is seen striking out here. Right: Bill Mueller makes a spectacular play to rob Sosa off a base hit in the 9th.

[/align]

Jason Varitek - "Arroyo really came through for us today - even on a day when he didn't have his best stuff. He wasn't able to get a good grip on his slider but still came up big and got the win. And we love it here (refering to Fenway Park) and the fans are always great. Lets continue to build on this win."

Brian Roberts - "We had our chances today and just didn't sieze them. Arroyo did give us a couple of chances in which we could have scored a lot of runs but I don't what went wrong. Here's to hoping that tomorrow brings a better result for us."

VIDEO: Bill Muelller's great play in the top of the 9th inning.

Video best viewed in Internet Explorer.

[align=center]g20aoy9.jpg[/align]

[align=center]g20bnw8.jpg[/align]

[align=center]g20czm5.jpg[/align]

Game 21 of 162 : Baltimore Orioles (9-11) @ Boston Red Sox (10-10)

[align=center]Rodrigo Lopez architects a gem - Sox batters baffled![/align]

Player of the Game: Rodrigo Lopez (7 Inn, 0 ER, 4 hits, 3 BB, 5 SO)

[align=center]game21aqt3.jpg[/align]

[align=center]Left: Jay Gibbons smashed a single to move the runner along to 3rd Right: This bad decision by Rentaria would lead to a 5-run 2nd inning for the Orioles

[/align]

Just when it seemed that the Red Sox's offense was going to get going, they were shutout today by a brilliant performance by Rodrigo Lopez. On a cool April night, Lopez pitched shutout baseball for 7 strong innings while earning his 3rd win of the season. He gave up just 3 hits while walking 3 and striking out 5. His pitches were unhittable and any chance of the Red Sox to mount a comeback originiated only in the 9th inning. Lopez threw his fastballs perfectly while mixing in with his changeup. The location of most of his fastballs were spot on and a generous umpire behind the plate helped the cause as well.

All the scoring in the game was done in the top of the 3rd inning when the Orioles scored 5 runs off of Boston starter, Lenny DiNardo. The inning started with a walk to Larry Bigbie followed by a single by Jay Gibbons. With runners at 1st and 3rd with no body out, Luis Matos hit a grounder to Edgar Rentaria at SS who tried to get the runner at home. His throw was off base and Larry Bigbie scored the first run of the game. This mistake by Rentaria opened the gate for Orioles as the next batter, Melvin Mora, crushed a 3-run home run by the Pesky Pole to make it 4-0 Baltimore. After a Brian Roberts triple and a Miguel Tejada RBI single, the Orioles were leading the Red Sox 5-0. DiNardo did get back in the game after this by getting Sosa to flyout, Javy Lopez to strikeout, and Rafael Palmeiro to groundout to end the inning.

[align=center]game21box7.jpg[/align]

[align=center]Left: Melvin Mora smashes a 3-run HR by the Pesky Pole Right: Mora made some great defensive plays as well

[/align]

The Sox tried to get back some of the runs in the bottom of the 3rd when Jason Varitek lead off with a single. After Bill Mueller filed out to record the first out, Rodrigo Lopez walked both Mark Belhorn and Johnny Damon to load the bases with 1 out. The Sox had a great situation to get back in the game but an unusual play denied the Sox of any runs. With the bases loaded, Edgar Rentaria came up trying to redeem himself and smacked a single to right field - or that is what everyone thought. Varitek feared that the ball maybe caught and stayed at 3rd base. But the ball dropped in front of Sosa and he fired it to home for the force out. The run didn't score and Rentaria was not awarded a hit. The Sox still had a chance as David Ortiz came up with the bases still loaded - but a beautiful pitch by Lopez forced Ortiz to flyout to RF and ended the inning and any threat of the Red Sox comeback. The Sox would eventually load the bases again in the bottom of the 9th but B.J. Ryan forced Damon to play an orthodox shot and ended up grounding to the 3rd baseman to end the game.

[align=center]game21cso5.jpg[/align]

[align=center]Left: Nixon is clueless as Rodrigo Lopez strikes him out Right: Damon grounds out to the 3rd baseman to end the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded

[/align]

Terry Francona - "What can I say. Lopez was just great today. I don't know what it is but playing against us always seem to bring out the best in him. We are going to prepare in hopes of taking the series tomorrow. Lets see what happens."

Miguel Tejada - "I guess there should be no more doubt as to who the ace of this staff is. Lopez showed everyone exactly what he can do. He threw a great game and we just answered enough offensively."

Game Notes: With each team having won one game a piece, the rubber match will be interesting to watch. Undefeated Tim Wakfield takes the ball for the Sox and will be opposed by Bruce Chen (BAL). The game is set to start at 3:05 pm ET.

Roster Moves:

* John Halama called up - AA Portland to MLB roster. *

* Lenny DiNardo demoted - MLB to AA Portland roster. *

[align=center]g21axd9.jpg[/align]

[align=center]g21btd8.jpg[/align]

[align=center]g21ccr9.jpg[/align]

Actually 2 reasons.

(1) I wanted to start over in 2005, after playing with all the up-to date rosters only to start a new dynasty again when a new set of rosters came out. And utilizing the team changer mod and making the trades up-to date is just too much hassle. And besides, I won't be offered any deals by the computer if I do it like that.

(2) Wanted to finish something that I started and this time I plan on doing that for sure :smile: .

Game 22 of 162 : Baltimore Orioles (10-11) @ Boston Red Sox (10-11)

[align=center]The Red Sox 'WAKE'-up to take the series against the Orioles![/align]

Player of the Game: Tim Wakefield (7 Inn, 2 ER, 5 hits, 5 BB, 3 SO)

[align=center]game22a.jpg[/align]

[align=center]Left: Javy Lopez hits a RBI single down the 3rd base line Right: Brian Roberts stole 2nd base off of Wakfield/Mirabelli

[/align]

A packed Fenway Park once again witnessed a great outing by Tim Wakefield as the Red Sox took the series against the Orioles with a final score of 7-4. Wakefield has been just a valuable to the Red Sox as...well...as George Washinton had been to America. He threw 7 strong innings and allowed just 2 hits. After inducing David Newhan to groundout to the 2nd baseman to start the game, Wakfield walked the next two hitters with Sosa coming up with runners at 1st and 2nd with one out. Wakefield got Sosa to flyout to record the 2nd out but could deny Javy Lopez of a hit that scored the first run of the game. Palmeiro struck out to end the inning with the Orioles leading the Red Sox 1-0. Baltimore would go on to score just 1 more run off of Wakefield when Sosa smashed a RBI single up the middle. Apart from those runs, Wakefield was nearly untouchable. He exited after 7 innings to a standing ovation from the Fenway faithful. His line read 7 innings pitched, 5 hits allowed, 2 ER, 3 SO to go along with 5 BB. Baltimore scored two more runs in the top of the 8th - thanks to an error by Ramon Vazquez. Baltimore ended the day by scoring a max of 4 runs to Boston's 7 runs.

[align=center]game22b.jpg[/align]

[align=center]Left: Wakefield pitched a great game again. Right: Palmiero seems to have no clue in regards to hitting a knuckleball.

[/align]

Boston's runs on the other hand was not scattered throughout the game. They scored all their runs in the bottom of the second inning (7 runs). The inning started off with Manny Ramirez and Jay Payton smacking back-to-back singles and Youkilis drew a walk to load the bases with no body out. The next batter, Doug Mirabelli, fought off many pitches and eventually got the walk that forced in the first run of the game for the Sox. Bill Mueller then smashed a single to right field that scored Jay Payton. After Ramon Vazquez had popped out to the 2nd baseman, Damon hit a ground ball and it seemed that it would be an inning ending double-play, but Damon hussled his way into first base. With the runners at the corners and 2 outs, Bruce Chen walked Edgar Rentaria to once again load the bases. After a Big Papi RBI single, Ramirez hit a bases clearing triple to make the score 7-1 in favor of the Sox. The inning would have prolonged for even more if Payton hadn't been caught trying to steal 2nd base.

Tim Wakefield - "This type of weather suites me perfectly. I am able to have a good grip on my knuckleball. Today was a good outing for me. I felt really confident out there today and the offense backed me strong and early. This is defintely a team effort and does not revolve around just one man."

"No Orioles were available for comment."

Game Notes: The Red Sox have an off-day tomorrow and will then travel to Texas to begin their road series that will take them through Detroit and Oakland later.

[align=center]G22_a.jpg[/align]

[align=center]G22_b.jpg[/align]

[align=center]G22_c.jpg[/align]

I have updated my analysis on my starting rotation with some better looking setup on the first page. Take a look and let me know what you guys think about it.

I will be posting the starting lineup analysis sometime today as well. Take care.

Game 23 of 162 : Boston Red Sox (11-11) @ Texas Rangers (10-13)

Player of the Game: David Ortiz (3-4. 2 HR, 3 RBIs, 1 BB, 2 runs)

[align=center]Game23recap.jpg[/align]

[align=center]game23a.jpg[/align]

[align=center]Left: Clement pitched a great game today - here he strikes out Teixeira. Right: Kevin Millar blasts a 3-run HR to LF.

[/align]

[align=center]game23b.jpg[/align]

[align=center]Left: Nixon makes a great diving grab in the OF. Right: Kevin Mench smacks one of his 3 hits on the night.

[/align]

Game Notes: Mark Belhorn has had a rough first month batting only .179 and the Red Sox are trying to find out a way to get him out of this slump. A demotion to the minors may happen if things don't improve with Belhorn over the next few series.

Organizational Information: (BOS):

* Shawn Wooten - AAA batter of the month (April) (.264, 4 HR, 11 RBIs) *

* Jared Sandberg - AA batter of the month (April) (.308, 3 HR, 11 RBIs) *

* Mickey Hall - A batter of the month (April) (.330, 2 HR, 7 RBIs) *

* Jonathan Papelbon - AAA pitcher of the month (April) (0-0, 2.25 ERA, 22 SO) *

* Mark Malaska - AA pitcher of the month (April) (3-1, 1.42 ERA, 26 SO) *

* Tommy Hottovy - A pitcher of the month (April) (1-2, 2.10 ERA, 25 SO) *

[align=center]G23_b.jpg[/align]

[align=center]G23_v.jpg[/align]

Still haven't gotten over the 1986 ALCS...but great dynasty! I'll be following from here on out.

Nice to know that you will be following.

Once this dynasty is done, I will be doing a Total Classics dynasty (hand picked divisional, championship, and world series matchups from the past) and there is high chance that the 1986 ALCS will be replayed.

You know everyone keeps talking about the Bill Buckner error and how the Red Sox were so close to winning and yet could not do it. But what people forget or don't talk about is the ALCS when the Sox won the last 3 after being down 3-1 to Angels.

Now that I look at the new layout again, I don't see it as that appealing. I don't know if it is the color, or the font, or there just being too much text, but it just doesn't seem all that good.

Any thoughts?

I will first post some league informations regarding the first month and then I will post info. on Raj Aryan. It just seemed better for me to do an update on him once a month instead of every week (considering he only gets to start once).

Thanks for checking in.

Archived