If you could change anything in the game, what would it be?

TwentySeven

I agree with several changes suggested here, but here is one I bet many will like, but have not thought of. I would like to see that I could use my gamepad to go thru the menus like when selecting to put in a pinch runner or warming up a pitcher. This would be better than having to reach over to the keyboard and mouse. Actually now that I think of it, why not be able to use the gamepad to control the entire game from the time after you double click to start the game?

I agree big time on 1)catcher throwing to the mound 2)saving mid game & 3)player arguements

Hey, how about if after a strikeout, you could toss the ball around the horn--3rd to 2nd to 1st

That's it for now. I may think of more later........

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- vin scully as announcer...: ]

- ability to manually tweak batting stances instead of using preset stances

- realistic ratings....100 % ratings....if a player is slumping, he's not gonna have a 5 for 5 day the next day...slumps and clutch

- making the dugout look more "inhabited"...

- bats breaking more often

- easier controls to switch fielders when on defense...

The idea about hitting streaks would be a good thing to incorporate on animated scoreboard, if possible.

(1) How about 3 sets of announcers available that you could select one set to call a game?

(2) Celebrations at home plate for walk off home runs with the team.

(3) Underhanded tosses from the 1st baseman to the pitcher covering,human controlled

(4) players running through the bag on ground outs instead of stopping right on the bag

(5) a few more pitching motions and batting stances

(6) the brush back pitch, occasionally putting a batter on his rump with a purpose pitch,human controlled

(7) a brighter baseball(one that doesn't go almost invisible when the home team bats

(8) The announcers on the field with the mike talking about the upcoming game. And one announcer on the filed with the star of the game. This could be an option in a menu like the viewing of the foul balls, always , sometimes, or never.

(9) occasional bad hop hits.

I would like to see better celebrations.

When there is a walkoff HR, show the losing team walking off the field and the HR hitter acting excited on the basepaths with his team waiting for him at home plate.

Show a pitcher cursing when he gives up a big hit or a HR. You know, they bring the glove up to their face and start cursing to themselves. That would be cool to see.

Make pitch counts and fatigue relate to each other. Every time I play a game, I should have a pitch count of 100 when I approach the late innings of the game...not like 50 or 60 pitches.

Offseason/draft/trading players:

First of all I'd like to have an interest bar, which shows you a team's interest in your players and how interested certain players are to be traded to that team. This would also apply to offseason free agents -- the player you want to sign would show his interest based on the team's performance, future, playing time, city, contract and teammates. This would allow us to sign players for less money because they'd really wanna play for you, or pay alot for a guy that might be a clubhouse cancer.

Furthermore we should be able to offer more in depth contracts with no trade clauses, perks (such as winning awards or statistical achivements) and the ability to spread out the money instead of just dividing the total amount by the number of years. This way you could backload or frontload contracts and it will give you a tougher job to meet a player's demands. All of this can be done via the email system. Perhaps agents can play a bigger (the boras factor).

In light of this, I think the user should be kept up to date about upcoming free agents, which teams are interested in which player, and if a team is unable to resign players from their rosters. This way you can adjust your own resignings and perhaps not offer some of your current players a contract because you'd like to sign a certain free agent. It would be nice to maybe have a rumors section in your email where you can see what's going on around the league.

Improve the trading system. No more rejected deals because of money issues (unless of course you propose unrealistic trades). Top prospects should be treated as one, so it will be harder to trade for them, but on the other hand you could use them as trade bait. 3 team deals and cash considerations should be options as well.

Some smaller things during the offseason such as building a new stadium, hiring/firing coaches, or arbitrations hearings would only add to the realism.

The draft should be more interactive and generally more realistic. First and foremost the draft should be held in June during the season. What would be nice is having scouts in your system travelling all over the world to report to you about players they like. You could then keep your eye on those guys during the draft. Perhaps a mock draft could be done prior to the real thing so you sort of know if your guy might be available.

Spring training. More realistic spring training rosters as well as a more realistic use of the players during ST (starters working just a couple of innings at the start of ST).

Stats engine:

Realistic stats please!!! I wanna see Santana finish the season with 230+ k's (and not in 270 IP, but in 215 IP or whatever). I wanna see closers such as K-Rod and Wagner average well over 1 strikeout per inning. I wanna see Pujols hit 45 homers while striking out 60 times. Stats factoring in previous performance, age, potential, league, ballpark, etc. Of course there should be some room for deviation, such as Hafner having an off year or Bill Hall hitting 35 homers.

Also expansion of stats. Things such as splits are a must, as well as history against a certain pitcher or team.

Gameplay:

Overall, this has been very good, but some minor changes would make it perfect. First of all the strikeout problem. It should be easier to strike a guy out, especially if you're facing someone who is prone to strikeout (hello Ryan Howard!).

Realistic pitch location. I wanna see Lidge bury his slider in the dirt and at the same time I wanna see Valverde throwing the high cheese. No more splitters up in the strikezone (unless it's a mistake). Also, pitch tendencies. What I mean by that is how likely it will be a pitcher will throw a certain pitch based on the count, game situation, fatigue, etc. Becket should throw a fastball at 3-0, while El Duque could throw anything. Of course this shouldn't be the same everytime otherwise you can just wait for a certain pitch, but it should be more realistic.

More foul balls!!! Make a pitcher work, have batters be a pest at the plate. Guys like Polanco and Eckstein should be hard to strikeout, but at the same token they are also less likely to hurt you with the long ball. This would create realistic pitch counts and a better use of the bullpen.

Fatigue. When pitchers get tired they should make more mistakes and more prone to injuries. EA had the right idea, but the excecution lacked. This is definately an issue with bullpen management. Closers should pitch anywhere from 50 to 80 innings and not just in save situations. Middle relievers shouldn't pitch 120+ innings unless their name is Proctor or Shields. Same goes for position players.

Weather effect. If the wind is blowing in, balls should be more likely to stay in the park, while the opposite should cause more homeruns. Wind should also be a factor for the fielders who might have some trouble catching flyballs. This could be done with a small indicator showing you where the ball is likely to land. When using a fielder such as Pat Burrel the indicator will appear late giving you a hard time getting to a ball. However, when using Ichiro the indicator should appear earlier giving you more time to move under.

Sending catchers out to the mound to talk with the pitcher. This would be done the same way as a regular mound visit, but perhaps with less effect.

40-man rosters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Graphics:

another thing I'm not really concerned about, but there are few minors things I'd like to see improved.

Weather effect (once again). If I play in Boston in October I wanna see guys wearing long sleeves. Perhaps the game can recognize the time of year and the location you're playing in to assign the sleeves. Otherwise it should be an option in uniform select screen. More rain during games, effecting the look of the grass and dirt and perhaps even resulting in rain delays are games being called. Wind should be noticeable as well in the jerseys and flags on top of the scoreboard. A really nice addition would be little clouds of breath in cold weather and players blowing in their hands.

Change from day to night. enough said.

Forearm bands, more elbow and shin protectors in different sizes and colors and stuff like sunglasses and eyeblack.

A batting stance and pitching delivery creator. This would be awesome. You would start out from a standard delivery/stance and gradually change arm angles, leg kicks, head movement, follow throughs, etc. It would keep the game fresh and you can easily tweak a player's delivery/stance.

Base coaches and pitching coaches. A visit to the mound should be the pitching coach 90% of the time.

Better celebrations. More crowd ineraction (especially during the playoffs). Empty seats every now and then as well as sell outs.

More realistic umpires (or atleast different sizes of umpires.

Catchers throwing the ball back to the pitcher, and catchers setting up at the location of your pitch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

alright, that's it. I could probably go on and on as I've given this much thought (since we don't get a new game for quite some time). Hopefully EA can get the license back a little sooner than expected and use some of the ideas people have posted.

I think that you should be able to name your own franchise and mascot as well as design your own Stadium from the demintion size of the stadium to the size of the fans coming to the game,uniforms and team colors and choose state and city that you want to play in. For those who know the game called (FRONT PAGE SPORTS BASEBALL) know what I mean when I say that this new MVP05 or 08. should have that same feature of that game like now great graphics a larger stat floor plan. Smarter player and smarter cpu. manger maneging situation. better bat ball fisics. for those who don't know what i'm talking check out the software is still floating around out there. I for one have the four different season that the game had came out starting in year I think 1994 and wish mvp08 has that type of mods to download and when it is made we shouldn't have to figure out how to download :headache: although it's been a challenge but I manage to get it to work with some of the utilites that you guys make like for instens the (TiT thingy) but back to the changes of the game we should be able to have the wright amount of money being the franchise owner start from the ground up give more option of what to buy of the top of the line product to build your franchise and to get the season started and still have enough to get top ball players and have the option that when the fans lose intres in the team -for some reason- you are able choose another state,city and be able to make a deal with that city come up with a percentage of the money to build the new team a stadium. more rain delays, windy condision depending on the state and city and time of the year. Get the more of a feel from the comentators through out the season like how each game has progress and how a player or star player has done during the game and the season and a bigger plan of all the milestone being reached by the user's player and cpu player on other teams so if you guys can come up with this mods to better MVP Baseball would be great like front page baseball you guys should check their format next mvp fps is the other best made baseball game out there thats my :twocents: .so what do you think give me some revviews on this good or bad from chollbmw.THANKS

• 6 months later...

There is a way to play those DOS games on PC. It's a bit complicated but no more so than creating a mod. Download Virtual PC from microsoft.com ... It's a free download. You will have to have a copy of Windows 98 laying around somewhere. You load Windows 98 onto the Virtual PC and then load the DOS game (Tony3/Oldtime) onto your Virtual PC. Once you get this going, you can even run those games within a window on your PC which you could never do originally.

On top of eveything that's been said a better roster costmizing option. A way to be able to have players carry their faces and portraits wherever they go as well as infinite numbering systems for those respectively.

The game also needs a facelift with a greater amount of unique pitcher stances and windups. Same with batter stances. BAse stealing should be a little more dynamic. Pretty much a new and updated version of this game from EA with a mod manual.

HA

Mine would be;

1. Vin Scully, Bob Uecker, Joe Morgan, John Miller,Tim McCarver, &maybe,Al Michaels as possible announcers. Inns 1-4 one announcer, 5-7 another, and 8 & 9 another. National announcers for weekend games.

2. Catcher snap throw to first.

3. Live scoreboard with accurate scores.

4. More pitcher's motions, Koufax, Drysdale, Mudcat Grant; more batting styles.

5. schedule generator like Madden football.

6.Brush back pitch

7. Better celebrations for walk offs and the like. The whole team at home plate for a walk off.

8. A few more faces for editing.

9. Closer plays at first base and some runners running through the bagat first and not stopping right on the bag.

10. 40 man roster in Sept

11. an occasional fielder collision

12. a rare back hop base hit over the glove or even the head

just to name a few

These would enhance the game.

Ticker is a great idea, Madden does it well (not great). Better owner modes would be good, because once you get everything, all the stadiums look the same, be it bay, rural, or suburbs. Audio obviously, but I'd also like better ball physics. Sometimes in 2005, I'd hit the ball of a base, and the ball would shoot in another direction, which was awesome. But now with 07 and stuff, homeruns especially, the ball just seems to roll up the screen, and when it gets hit into the bullpen, the wall physics no longer apply. I'd like playoff rosters and such, 4 man rotations, etc.

I'd love travel. If you trade for a player, they have to fly to your area, possibly missing that game. Even stuff like injury unpredictability. Something like...'John Smoltz, recovering from a sore shoulder, is making excellent progress in rehab and is expected to return earlier than expected.' Or even...'John Smoltz, recovering from a hip pointer, has suffered a minor setback and is not yet ready to return/may require another DL stint/needs to make 2-3 minor league appearances before returning.'

Better AI too. The other day, Aaron Hill complained about not getting enough playing time. 162 games, 9 innings a game, 7th AB. Give me a break.

I'd like to see the entire playoffs overhalled. Overlay graphics, announcing and while a boisterous crowd is to be expected, full throat/non-stop cheering gets annoying pretty quick. To me, the playoffs as is are just like any other games played except the current announcers just make mild mentions of being there making winning the WS a bit anti-climatic.

Aside from all the stuff that has been mentioned i would truly love to see better weather in the games, for hells sake a day game in Miami being 60 degrees? i have played uncountable games with the Marlins and i've gotten like 9 games postponed cus of rain, i think that the 2K series really got the weather engine in their games right, they even got rain delays that is pretty much the only thing i like about that game, anyways back to my point. I would also love to see more diverse stuff not just the MLB and the minors i would love to see the winter leagues added and actually play a role in your franchise, i love the career idea but i think it would be best implemented if it was done with the NCAA game too so you can start as a freshman and go all the way to the majors, that would be super sweet and it would give the NCAA game some realistic use. Also on thing that i would love to see that i have been dreaming about since a long time would be an expansion mode where you would create a team, create their unis and stadium and have an actual expansion draft.

Mine would be;

1. Vin Scully, Bob Uecker, Joe Morgan, John Miller,Tim McCarver, &maybe,Al Michaels as possible announcers. Inns 1-4 one announcer, 5-7 another, and 8 & 9 another. National announcers for weekend games.

2. Catcher snap throw to first.

3. Live scoreboard with accurate scores.

4. More pitcher's motions, Koufax, Drysdale, Mudcat Grant; more batting styles.

5. schedule generator like Madden football.

6.Brush back pitch

7. Better celebrations for walk offs and the like. The whole team at home plate for a walk off.

8. A few more faces for editing.

9. Closer plays at first base and some runners running through the bagat first and not stopping right on the bag.

10. 40 man roster in Sept

11. an occasional fielder collision

12. a rare back hop base hit over the glove or even the head

just to name a few

These would enhance the game.

Morgan, Miller and McCarver should stay as far away from a baseball game as possible.

I wish the brightness of the color of the hitter's eye was different for each player and was effected by a rating (plate discipline or eye?) so that if you were using Pujols the color of the pitches would look like they do now but if you're a scrub it's a light, light color - barely noticeable.

The hard part about this is what would you base it on, a player's eye (ability to draw walks) or their batting average?

Jason Giambi still has one of the best eyes in baseball but can't hit to save his life. At the same time, Robinson Cano swings at everything and never walks but hits over .300.

So who would have the brighter baseball?

It could even go as crazy as the "Insiders Edge" scouting report in 2K Baseball and have different brightness for each pitch for every player. If Player A can't hit a curveball to save his life it will be almost white when the pitcher releases it. If he's rarely fooled on a change up, it will be bright green as soon as the pitcher releases it and so on and so forth.

The catcher throwing the ball back to the Pitcher.

I would think that some very smart Modder would have added this by now. The animation is there, In the bullpen and when the Starting Pitcher is warming up at the start of the game.

When I got MVP 05, I could not believe that EA released a baseball game with the catcher not throwing the ball back or snap throws, Just plain laziness.

But then again, EA has never really cared about what their customers want.

In addition to all that's been mentioned, I'd make there be an option so that we can see how a hitter has done versus a specific pitcher.

For example, Player M is 3-13 against Pitcher A, or something like that.

And then, maybe the game could take that into consideration... but more than likely, if EA remains being EA, it'll just be sitting there like a pile of dirt.

MVPMods is great... IF ONLY, and ONLY IF, EA would somehow give the code to the hard-coded information... in curiosity, I'd wonder how much it'd cost, or if EA would totally be unwilling to sell it. Hmm..

I would change the batter-runner speed characteristics from home plate to first base. Where are the infield hits? every runner has the same speed, regardless of settings. I have tried to adjust this setting way up to no avail.

Wat would be so cool would be have different overlays for whatever homefield you are (NESN for the Red Sox, YES for the Yankees, etc. etc.) Also if the Red Sox radio announcer Joe Constiglion and Dave O'Brian could do the commentating, I would play some games just to listen to them. Lastly, I know this has been said, but haveing a HOF mode like in Madden would be awesome!

Archived