The Bronx is Burning

Jim825

I was browsing the NY Post website this morning to get my latest Yankees news and I came across this ad for an ESPN miniseries that chronicles the 1977 Yankees season. Here's a link to the ESPN site:

http://www.bronxisburning.com/

Here's some information about the miniseries on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bronx_is_Burning

I thought it was ironic that this is coming out so soon after the release of the 1978 season mod. For those too young to remember the Yankees in the late 70's, this miniseries may give you a feeling for what things were like.

For those too young to remember the Yankees in the late 70's, this miniseries may give you a feeling for what things were like.

That's me. I'm looking forward to this show, it looks pretty interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

John Turturro = most underrated actor in hollywood.

Yeah he did a excellent job on Billy Martin. Not only does he look like the real Martin but how he act and feel inside his life.

I also saw him appearing in the recent blockbuster movie "Transformers" too.

Recent interview with Willie Randolf, says that Willie was upset that in this mini-series they have Randolf ignoring Reggie Jackson, when he was actually one of the few people who had no problem with him.

If anyone would like some actual first person accounts of how it was following the Yankees in '77, you can ask me anything you want. Or, of course you can ask Jim825.

One thing I do want to tell you about that I am guessing won't be covered in this program is the balanced schedule the teams back then were able to play. There was no interleague play, so that meant two west coast trips a year for each eastern division team. The Yankees, Red Sox and Orioles all would go out to the coast together and alternate between Anaheim, Oakland and Seattle. And when they were done, that was that. The schedules back then were beneficial for each team, something I did not realize until the dawning of interleague baseball.

Recent interview with Willie Randolf, says that Willie was upset that in this mini-series they have Randolf ignoring Reggie Jackson, when he was actually one of the few people who had no problem with him.

Not true. Based on books that I own about this ballclub, Randolph did go through a period of not speaking to him because he felt he was bringing the team down because of his behavior. Now, of course this could be wrong too since I was not in the clubhouse at all. I am just reading what a writer wrote down.

besides all of the Yankee-related stuff, this show has gotten me quite interested in the story of the .44 caliber serial killer/Son of Sam/ David Berkowitz.

If anyone is interested, here are some links with more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Berkowitz

The Official Home Page of David Berkowitz

oh wow I remember his photo in the New York Post in 2005 when he was release, never knew about this stuff. Now he is a man of Christ, bull.

Archived