Who thinks Andy Pettite is better than Pedro Martinez

MrDudleyDoWright

I really dont think so, even if pedro is past his prime, He still can produce. I had a conversation on aim with a Yankee fan, and he's constantly telling me that Pedro is inferior to Andy Pettite carrer wise and current wise. Pedro his last 3 years, has been able to produce (except late 2006), while Pettite has been medicore with Houston. Here is the IM conversation

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:27:25 PM): you know if pedro martinez gets injured one more time he will retire

DudleyDoWright5 (4:28:01 PM): yea

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:27:41 PM): haha hes garbage

DudleyDoWright5 (4:28:17 PM): WHAT??!!???!?!?!?!?

DudleyDoWright5 (4:28:23 PM): ur kidding right?

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:27:55 PM): Now he is

DudleyDoWright5 (4:28:28 PM): no

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:28:01 PM): yes

DudleyDoWright5 (4:28:32 PM): no

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:28:03 PM): yes

DudleyDoWright5 (4:28:34 PM): NO

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:28:05 PM): yes

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:28:06 PM): YES

DudleyDoWright5 (4:28:38 PM): NO

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:28:09 PM): dude

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:28:12 PM): hes done

DudleyDoWright5 (4:28:44 PM): bro

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:28:21 PM): cant pitch for s***

DudleyDoWright5 (4:28:55 PM): oooooo

DudleyDoWright5 (4:28:59 PM): u got me heated

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:28:33 PM): hasnt pitched good since 2000

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:28:38 PM): you know it

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:28:40 PM): i know it

DudleyDoWright5 (4:29:18 PM): ur very ignorant my friend

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:29:00 PM): im just saying hes past his prime

DudleyDoWright5 (4:29:55 PM): He came back late in the season and helped greatley, even though we lost

DudleyDoWright5 (4:29:59 PM): ERA 2.57

DudleyDoWright5 (4:30:03 PM): WL 3-1

DudleyDoWright5 (4:30:10 PM): 32 K's

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:29:50 PM): he almost went to yankees

DudleyDoWright5 (4:30:32 PM): he had a BREAKOUT year when he was a met in 2005

DudleyDoWright5 (4:30:39 PM): 2.82 ERA

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:30:16 PM): phs

DudleyDoWright5 (4:30:49 PM): 208 K's

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:30:29 PM): ugh i could do better

DudleyDoWright5 (4:30:59 PM): only 19 homers

DudleyDoWright5 (4:31:16 PM): for a guy who is past his prime, thats pretty impressive

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:32:29 PM): PEDRO MARTINEZ= no HOF

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:32:53 PM): hes gonna walk in allys asking for money

DudleyDoWright5 (4:33:31 PM): If Pedro Martinez were to retire today, what would his chances be of being elected to the Hall of Fame?

Quite good. My sense of it is that he would be automatic

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:33:17 PM): no

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:33:25 PM): hes not HOF

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:33:41 PM): no

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:33:53 PM): due

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:33:55 PM): dude

YankesFan4Lyfe (4:34:12 PM): ummm pedro is overated past his prime and still has no hair on his armpits

Your opinion on this???

I say Pedro is better, Not that Andy Pettite is bad, But Pedro was/ and is better

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... yankee fans have been known to been idiots. This guy's an example. Obviouly, Pettitte comes no where close to the level of dominance Pedro had. However, that doesn't mean that he's not a jerk or, more to the point, that in the immediate future, i.e. next year, he won't be better than Pettitte. The 2.82 ERA was fine, but in the AL it would be something like a 3.25 ERA. Meanwhile, Pettitte had a 2.39 ERA in the NL, about a 3.00 ERA in the AL. Still, historically, Pedro is better. He's a hall of famer, unfortunately, and Pettitte isn't quite.

Well... yankee fans have been known to been idiots. This guy's an example. Obviouly, Pettitte comes no where close to the level of dominance Pedro had. However, that doesn't mean that he's not a jerk or, more to the point, that in the immediate future, i.e. next year, he won't be better than Pettitte. The 2.82 ERA was fine, but in the AL it would be something like a 3.25 ERA. Meanwhile, Pettitte had a 2.39 ERA in the NL, about a 3.00 ERA in the AL. Still, historically, Pedro is better. He's a hall of famer, unfortunately, and Pettitte isn't quite.

Thank You abc, now i don't mean that Pedro will be automatic in the HOF, But he has a greater chance of getting in, than Pettite. Pettite is good, he's one of my favorites, i just dont think that historically, he's better than Pedro Martinez

something to think about, Pettite is 18-7 in the playoffs while Pedro is 5-3.... i am not saying by any means Pettite is better, because simply he is not. Just an Idea to ponder
Here's an idea to ponder. Pedro's only had 11 starts in the playoffs, not to mention that wins are possibly the wort possible way of rating a pitcher.

ill tell you one thing... pedro isnt "automatic" in the HoF

- Highest career winning percentage for pitchers with over 200 wins (.692)

- Lowest WHIP of any starter (1.03)

- 3 Cy Young Awards

- Top 3 in strikeouts to walk ratio

- He was lights out in 6 of the 7 years with Boston (ERA under 2.40 in 5 of those 7 years)

And add to it his game 3 performance against the Cards in the "curse breaking" WS and you got yourself a pitcher who is an automatic for the HoF.

- Highest career winning percentage for pitchers with over 200 wins (.692)

- Lowest WHIP of any starter (1.03)

- 3 Cy Young Awards

- Top 3 in strikeouts to walk ratio

- He was lights out in 6 of the 7 years with Boston (ERA under 2.40 in 5 of those 7 years)

And add to it his game 3 performance against the Cards in the "curse breaking" WS and you got yourself a pitcher who is an automatic for the HoF.

HoF committee doesn't look at such stats.

No point in pointing out those stats and saying he's HoFer cuz of them when they have no correlation to HoF status.

HoF committee is full of idiots.

Um yes he is...

yep

Pedro is the best pitcher of all time.

nuf ced.

and yep.

the guy's arguably the best pitcher of all time. and i'm not talking now. have you guys all lost your minds and forgotten how good he was before his injuries? the guy was absolutely dominant in the most lopsided hitter's era. you want to rate him on his abilities on the downside of his career go ahead, but that's not what made him a future HOF'er.

Pedro is the best pitcher of all time.

nuf ced.

I would put him top 5 for sure, not sure about the best though. I don't think its possible to name the one best pitcher of all time, there are so many great ones to consider. But like I said, top 5 for sure, if not top 3.

Pedro is an ***hole, but sure as hell, he's that damn good.

Pettite is good, but Martinez is great.

How is Pedro an asshole? The guy is always messing around and having fun. I would love to have him. And don't bother arguing the whole thing with Don Zimmer. Zimmer went at him fist.

Archived