Home of the Braves

xiberger

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First baseman Adam LaRoche is something of a mystery to me: with only five hits he connected for three roundtrippers and drove in ten runs, but he also struck out eleven times in 26 at-bats. His performance as as pinch-hitter has been outstanding so far, which is why I'm going to bench him for the next couple of games and let Julio Franco start at first.

Also, because of the recent struggles with my relief pitchers, I'm going to check out the free-agent market for a suitable addition to my bullpen. One hot candidate is lefty Valerio de los Santos. With John Foster being my only southpaw at the moment, de los Santos would be a good alternative when facing left-handed hitters.

It's official: I signed left-handed reliever Valerio de los Santos to a two-year contract worth $2.2 million. De los Santos had 17 appearances for the Toronto Blue Jays in 2004, giving up eight runs and striking out ten batters for a 6.17 ERA. To make room for him in the bullpen, I sent Adam Bernero down to triple-A Richmond.

Instead of signing, Valerio de los Santos who's an OK reliever, i personally would have gotten Darren Oliver, Demarso Marte, Scott Eyre, you know, somebody with a bit more experience and somebody who doesnt kill people :hammer:

Also, wasnt Todd Holandsworth and Ryan Langerhanans on that team because i remember them in the outfield.

Well, de los Santos was the best lefty on the market. I didn't have much choice. Did he kill somebody? Aren't you confusing him with Ugueth Urbina?

And yes, both Hollandsworth and Langerhans were on the Braves 05 team. Langerhans is already on my current team, while Hollandsworth is playing for the Cubs. In real life, he was traded to Atlanta just before the trade deadline.

Xiberger - I was doing a little research and de los Santos and I found this on Wikipedia:

On July 9, 2005, pitching in the 9th inning against the Chicago Cubs, de los Santos hit Adam Greenberg directly in the back of his head with a 91 mile per hour fastball on the very first pitch of the plate appearance. "The first thing going through your mind is, 'This guy's dead,'" de los Santos said. Greenberg, suffered a mild concussion as a result of the beaning, and still suffers from positional vertigo. To present, Greenberg's major league career consists only of this single plate appearance against de los Santos.

So I think DiehardYankee was just making a joke

Ok Im sorry about the whole lefty thing. Ive been playing old MVP for PS2 because my laptop isnt letting me download anything and got oliver and hes been really good for me so thats why i said that. just stating my own opinion.

And Yes I Was joking but Greenburg is like crippled or something so thats why i thought i would refrence it.

In no related topic. how is Andruw doing for you?

Despite losing the first two games of a three-game series against the Phillies in heart-breaking fashion, I'm very happy with the way my guys are pitching at the moment. Horacio Ramirez and Jorge Sosa both displayed perfect control in their last starts.

Also, Valerio de los Santos had his first appearance in a Braves uniform and it was a good one. He came into the game in the bottom of the seventh with runners at second and third and two outs, striking out Endy Chavez to end the inning. I kept him on the mound for the eighth and he retired the side in order. Looks like I picked the right guy from the FA pool.

SeveredSoulX, thanks for the information on de los Santos. I guess I need to be very careful when pitching batters inside with him. :-)

DiehardYankee26, Andruw is doing fine but he has cooled off a bit since his hot start. He's currently hitting .378 with two home runs and seven RBIs.

Estrada didn't perform too well at the plate so far, but he smacked his first home run in the last game. It will be a platoon between him and backup catcher Eddie Perez, but I might call up Brian McCann in the nearer future and give him a shot.

btw, Demarso Marte, Todd Holandsworth, Ryan Langerhanans, Greenburg, Brian Mccain... Seriously, you need to check your spelling when it comes to player names. ;-)

braves45, you're right about Powell. However, in the rosters I'm using he's a free agent at the beginning of the '05 campaign. I thought about signing him, but since I've already got enough right-handed pitchers in my pen I didn't.

DiehardYankee26, don't worry about it. And no, you also misspelled Brian McCann and Adam Greenberg. :alright:

Thanks for following, guys!

Archived