All Time Total Conversion Project.

emath2432

I'm not really sure where the best place to put this is, as I am not sure if this really falls under the category of Total Classic or not. I will leave that up to Jim825, and one of the admins can move it if they so desire.

For the past year or so (off and on) I have been working on an All Time roster. I wasn't sure if it was gonna turn out, and whether or not I would upload it, or keep it for my own personal use. Once I had gotten to a certain point, I decided to go ahead, and not only upload it, but also to go ahead and try to create a full Total Conversion. It's only been a few days since I made that decision, so I am not very far into the actual work of putting it together.

I know Homer is working on a similar project (Legends Project), and I didn't want to step on any toes. He and I exchanged PMs, and we both are pretty excited to see what the other comes up with. Actually I am very excited to see what he comes up with in the end, because he is putting SO MUCH time into his. It seems his is going to go far more in depth than mine will.

Anyway, onto some of the details:

*In the initial release, my Total Conversion will only have a 25 man MLB roster. Future releases will likely bump that up to include a AAA roster of second tier players as well.

My primary roster is about 95% done, however it will get an overhaul before the release. I might actually release it along with a "More Competition" patch at the same time.

Let me explain... I made the rosters back in the day for High Heat, and realized that the 90's expansion teams sucked. In reality, that is a given since they have been in the league, either 13 or 18 years. So, I re worked them to be a little more competitive, and that's how I originally made them for MVP as well.

What I had done was this. I combined the two Florida teams into one team, and took the best 25 players to fill out an MLB roster, and put them on the Marlins roster. I then took Arizona, and Colorado, and combined them into one 25 man roster in Colorado. This made the two teams slightly more competitive (and added some depth). They still suck compared to the teams with 100+ years of history (and great players to choose from), but it's not quite as bad.

I then filled the empty Arizona's roster with all time Negro League players, and Tampa Bay's roster with all time Japanese League players. This is would be what I referred to as the "more competition" patch above.

My actual release will be re worked to have all 4 90's expansion teams represented with their own actual players.

My rosters will be based off of a players greatest season (with the team they represent). My initial thought was, when I think of the greats of all time, I think of them as they were at their absolute best. Therefore, I will create them at their absolute best. One issue this creates is in the case where some very good players, had one Hall of Fame type season mixed in with a lot of really good seasons. In my release they are based on that one HOF type season, and it may rate them above what their over all career would lead you to think of them.

One example off the top of my head would be the real life example of Derrek Lee with the Cubs. He has been there 6 years. One year was basically lost to injury, and I will not count. One year was HOF worthy, and the other 4 average out to look like this:

.297/.377/.512 with 27 home runs, and 95 RBI in 152 games. Pretty good numbers. All star worthy for sure, but no HOFer.

But, if I created him based on my "best season" theory, his ratings would be based on:

.335/.418/.662, with 46 home runs, 107 RBI, in 158 games. A full career of that and we are seeing a future HOF player. I know Homer is using their TWO best season, and that would get rid of some of that issue, but for now (since all of the statistical research, and player creation is mostly done), I am sticking with this. We'll see what the future updates may or may not bring.

Also, all ratings have been calculated by using Dylan Bradbury's ratings calculators. The only ratings that have any changes made to them are power ratings. Power ratings are basically created using slugging percentage (I don't know Dylan's actual formulas, but it's pretty obvious that slugging % is the primary deciding factor). This is only an issue when it comes to players like Ty Cobb, or Pete Rose (there are many others), who never hit for much power when it comes to home runs, but had pretty high slugging percentages due to a lot of doubles, and triples adding to their total bases. Because of that, they have power ratings in the 80's, and hit way too many home runs. Even with home run % being zero, they are still hitting 25-30 home runs in a season. I am trying to adjust all of these guys power ratings so that they come closer to their actual Home run out put. Otherwise, all ratings (offensive, defensive, arm, speed, and pitching) are coming directly from his Calculators.

Pitchers pitch selections have been created by info gotten from the Rob Neyer/Bill James guide to pitching.

* All teams will have a classic stadium from their teams past history, unless there is not one to use (Florida, Arizona, Tampa Bay, for example, are all still in their original stadium, and therefore will be in my mod). As of now, I have permission to use most of the stadiums I need for this.

*All teams will have at least one set of classic uniforms. I am still deciding how to go about putting them into the game. If I make their throwbacks as their primary uniforms, the Yankees will be wearing their '27 Yankee uniforms, and using batting helmets. If I leave them in the throw back uni slots, they would not be wearing helmets (which just looks more natural to me), but the users would have to select that uniform before every game, at the uni select screen.

As of now, all I have is the stock throw backs. If anyone would like to "donate" their uniform mods to me for use in this project, I would be happy to feature them. :)

*Many of the players (most of them actually) will have player audio at this point (thanks to the Total Classic team). I have made a few of my own as well, and may try to fill in a few players that TC has not covered.

*Many of the players will be featuring cyber faces made by Homer (other will be stock). He has been gracious enough to allow me the use of any I need, as he is making so many of them for his Legends Project. I may try a few of my own as well, but my attempts at cybers up to this point has been one big FAIL.

*The game will feature classic photos of all time greats as CTS screens, menu back ground, initial splash screens, and license screen (which will have a full list of credits, and thank yous for all of the modders who have allowed me to use their work), to add a classic feel to it.

* Menu music that features 9 classic baseball themed songs, ranging from the 30-40's, up until the 80's

*Accurate stadium select screens, and stadium audio (thanks to the Total Classic team).

*Each player will have a photo. In most cases it will be in a uniform of the team they are representing.

There may be more, but I am tired of typing, and most of you (if you are still with me) are probably tired of reading. Plus that is all I can think of right now.

Also, if any one has any mods they would like to see featured (or would be willing to allow me to use), it would be greatly appreciated. Just hit me up with a PM. As I mentioned, throw back uniforms are a big one for me right now.

Also, if any one is interested, I could use help creating an "All Time" video to use as the lead in video when you load the mod, to replace the EA video. I am not too picky on this, as the mod covers the game from the 1870's until the present day. A slide show, or short video presentation featuring a bunch of great players from the games past (and present), and a classic baseball themed song...

Thanks guys. I hope, when it is all said and done, that a few people can enjoy the final product.

Any input, or suggestions (or maybe offers of help) is welcomed.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I forgot to mention. It's kind of a big one, depending on who you talk to, so I will put it in a separate post so everyone sees it.

One big difference between my rosters, and those of other All Time mods (or Legends mods) is how I decided to build the rosters.

I tried to look at it from a teams fans perspective. If each team held a vote (passing out ballots like they do for all star voting), and let the fans vote for who they want on the team. In that regard, my feeling is that a guy like Nolan Ryan would most likely be chosen as a starting pitcher for for the Angels, Rangers, and Astros. Therefore, Nolan Ryan will be on all 3 teams starting rotations. He will be created with stats from THAT team, therefore he will have different ratings (and essentially be a different player) for each team.

In other words, there are repeat players.

Also, like the All Star vote, there may be guys who are there that you don't feel belong, and guys missing that you want to be there. Once I get the AAA versions done (future release), most of the players will be in place, and you can adjust the MLB rosters according to your own tastes.

At first I will admit I was a little unsure because Homer is doing an all time mod, but to see that your taking a different path really intrigues me and I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Plus, you've just given me a killer idea for a future mod :shok:

well i for one am stoked about this mod.

as i have stated before, my legends mod is in no way an all-timers mod. it may be similar, but that was never the intent. the players will for the most part be on the team they play with the most. but i am really incorporating them with modern players, so we get the best of the best. i too will also have negro league players, and some fictional players. as in the title, legends of baseball.

since i do not have repeated players, i will have a lot more of the legends to squeeze into the rosters.

i am intrigued about the asian players you will have. we might need to collaborate a little to include some of them in my mod too.

well i for one am stoked about this mod.

as i have stated before, my legends mod is in no way an all-timers mod. it may be similar, but that was never the intent. the players will for the most part be on the team they play with the most. but i am really incorporating them with modern players, so we get the best of the best. i too will also have negro league players, and some fictional players. as in the title, legends of baseball.

I too have current players mixed in. This is where some people will likely have issue with who is in, and who is out.

For example, I originally had Stan Hack as the Cubs reserve 3rd sacker (I have been sitting on these rosters since 2001. I did all of my research back then. I do updates after each season, for any current guys on the team). Now that Aramis Ramirez has been in Chicago for 7 seasons, and has become one of their more consistent run producers over that period (also knowing he has a couple of years left, and maybe an extension as he will only be 32 when his deal is up, I believe), he has moved into that role.

Stan Hack will be the number 1 guy in the minors, most likely, once I get through the AAA phase of this roster.

i am intrigued about the asian players you will have. we might need to collaborate a little to include some of them in my mod too.

I am cool with that. I'll send a PM with a few details on how I worked their stats/ratings.

And I for one am patiently and anxiously awaiting for both of these mods because they each sound great.

You have been waiting longer, and more patiently than anybody, in regards to my roster. Since I think I told you nearly a year ago what I was working on. You're kinda the reason it is still alive. Many times I kept thinking I was gonna keep it to myself, and not release it... Then I remember how excited you seemed to be by the idea of trying it, and it made me push on.

I still wasn't sure how far I was gonna take it (as far as doing a total conversion instead of a simple roster), until 2 or 3 days ago. Once modders started getting on board with allowing me to use their work, it started rolling.

I finally got approval to use some classic unis (though, not nearly enough at this point to cover what I need). I do have 3 requests still pending a response.

Also, as a side request to you Y4L... I know you like to collect HQ photos. I know it's kind of hard to find OLD baseball pics that are of a good quality, and size. Do you have anything you might be willing to share with me that might cover some all time baseball stars. I am looking for legends. I have Ruth, Gehrig, Foxx, Cobb, Williams, and a few others, but I am looking to see what all I can find. It really doesn't all have to be from the 20-50's either. It could be more recent legends as well.

Thanks.

I too have current players mixed in. This is where some people will likely have issue with who is in, and who is out.

For example, I originally had Stan Hack as the Cubs reserve 3rd sacker (I have been sitting on these rosters since 2001. I did all of my research back then. I do updates after each season, for any current guys on the team). Now that Aramis Ramirez has been in Chicago for 7 seasons, and has become one of their more consistent run producers over that period (also knowing he has a couple of years left, and maybe an extension as he will only be 32 when his deal is up, I believe), he has moved into that role.

Stan Hack will be the number 1 guy in the minors, most likely, once I get through the AAA phase of this roster.

i wouldn't worry about this too much. everyone has their own opinions and you can't please them all. make the mod as you see fit. moving players around is easy, and the end user can do so to their desires. my mod will be somewhat bias to the m's because i know the best. but that's just how it is.

Just a quick update:

I am basically waiting on one person to give me the go ahead to use some mods of theirs at this point, and I will have everything I need.

It's not much, but a small progress report:

Menu music is done.

Loc file is updated with team names, and music titles. Will do stadium names next.

Menu screens, backgrounds, splash screen, loading screen, intro movie, etc are all finished.

Well, being the first time I have done anything like this, I had never realized there were 60 loading screens. I doubt I have ever even seen half of them.

One thing I am finding out about my photoshop skills. They suck. My work looks like amateur junk compared to the stuff some of you guys do.

Therefore, I have decided, simpler is better. I came up with a simple (very simple) template, and am adding classic photos. So far, all the photos have had some sort of a theme to them, but we'll see where it goes. I am trying to do at least one for each team. Maybe some classic stadiums.

Some times I get tired of looking at a computer screen for hours (had yesterday, and today off of work), and doing nothing but making loading screens, and back ground images... So, I started collecting stadiums, and putting them into the game files. PaulW, and Sean O's work so perfectly compliments mods like this. It's amazing.

Well, back to do more friggin loading screens. Luckily, I get another nice break tonight when we go with the in laws to see Ron White in concert.

Well, being the first time I have done anything like this, I had never realized there were 60 loading screens. I doubt I have ever even seen half of them.

I remember thinking the same thing the first time I created loading screens. It's the same with the menu screens. There are a lot of those as well, but you only see a handful of them in the normal use of the game. While I do create 60 loading screens for every single season mod I make, I only create about 15 menu screens (main menu screens, game mode screens, minigame screens, settings screens, etc.).

One thing I am finding out about my photoshop skills. They suck. My work looks like amateur junk compared to the stuff some of you guys do.

Therefore, I have decided, simpler is better. I came up with a simple (very simple) template, and am adding classic photos. So far, all the photos have had some sort of a theme to them, but we'll see where it goes. I am trying to do at least one for each team. Maybe some classic stadiums.

Don't sell yourself short. I'm sure they will look fine. I was lucky to have gotten the Total Classics loading screen photoshop template from Sandman a few years ago. I use the same template for all my mods. In my case, I simply change the picture and the text that goes along with it.

Some times I get tired of looking at a computer screen for hours (had yesterday, and today off of work), and doing nothing but making loading screens, and back ground images... So, I started collecting stadiums, and putting them into the game files. PaulW, and Sean O's work so perfectly compliments mods like this. It's amazing.

I hear you. For some of these tasks, you have to take a break now and then and move onto something else. I'm busy creating portraits for the current mod I have in development. I've gotten 14 teams done so far (350 portraits), and while the end is in sight, it does get tedious as I still have over 200 portraits to create.

You are right about the stadiums. These classic mods would be nothing without them.

Well, back to do more friggin loading screens. Luckily, I get another nice break tonight when we go with the in laws to see Ron White in concert.

Don't be afraid to take a break now and then, even if if means you don't work on the mod at all for days (or weeks). The last thing you want is to get stressed about the mod or not to enjoy working on it. If that happens, you'll be more inclined to start cutting corners just so you can get the mod released.

I remember thinking the same thing the first time I created loading screens. It's the same with the menu screens. There are a lot of those as well, but you only see a handful of them in the normal use of the game. While I do create 60 loading screens for every single season mod I make, I only create about 15 menu screens (main menu screens, game mode screens, minigame screens, settings screens, etc.).

I did the same thing with the menu images.. But I took it one step further.

The ones you see occasionally, or rarely in some cases, I exported them but then made them black and white, to add to the "classic" feel of the mod. Other than a few shots of like Arod, and Ichiro... I left them in color, since they are in my mod anyway, and are obviously from the the present day.

Here is an example of one of my loading screens. Like I said.. Simple. It's the top 12 guys in the 500 home run club. I have a second screen with the next 12... Poor Eddie Murray, and his 504 home runs didn't fit, being he is number 25, and I have room for only 24 :(

As a joke, I almost dropped Bonds from the top spot and left him out all together, just to get Murray in there... But in the end I left Barry where he was.

By the way, after a conversation with Jim825, I decided to add this to the Total Classics mod list.

Clip-37.jpg

Here is one showing Ted Williams bridging the gap between Foxx, and Yaz.

The lower right hand corner is a shot of the Babe pitching for the Red Sox. I threw that in there as a little zinger for Red Sox fans... Sort of a "What could have been" shot.

The bottom of my screens, I don't like. I did at first, but it's starting to make me sick the more I see it. Like I said, I went with something simple. At first, the white border, around the red words looked good. After a couple of days, now it just looks sloppy.

Too bad I have so many done. I may try to come up with something with more of a classic baseball feel/look, and just export the pics, and add that layer in.

I'd like to kind of keep the same layout, and just have the banner at the bottom where the loading screen is. If anyone has any ideas, or feels like throwing something together for me, I'd love to hear/see it.

Clip-38.jpg

If I had created this, I would have just had a single banner that said "Total Classics All Time Baseball" and not put "Total Classics Presents:" or my name on every loading screen. That's the way that the screens look on every other Total Classics mod. Some guys have put their names on the Intro screen or the license screen, while most have just put them in the readme file. I also list put all of the contributor names in the data\credits.tsv file so that they will show up in the game if you go to the Settings \ Extras screen.

I'm not ripping what you are doing here. It's your mod, so you can do whatever you want. I've just been involved with so many of these mods that I thought I'd pass along some constructive criticism, especially since you and I have swapped so many PM's about the project.

If I had created this, I would have just had a single banner that said "Total Classics All Time Baseball" and not put "Total Classics Presents:" or my name on every loading screen. That's the way that the screens look on every other Total Classics mod. Some guys have put their names on the Intro screen or the license screen, while most have just put them in the readme file. I also list put all of the contributor names in the data\credits.tsv file so that they will show up in the game if you go to the Settings \ Extras screen.

I'm not ripping what you are doing here. It's your mod, so you can do whatever you want. I've just been involved with so many of these mods that I thought I'd pass along some constructive criticism, especially since you and I have swapped so many PM's about the project.

You know whats crazy? For all of the TC mods I have downloaded over the past year, I have never even loaded one up, let alone played it. I mean, I love classic baseball, but I have always been more of an all time kinda guy. I have had these rosters done, for the most part, since last summer. Granted I am making changes to them, and some rating tweaks, now that it is going public... In other words, when I have played MVP over the past 6-8 months, it has been with my rosters, so TCs have never been played.

My point? I have never even seen one of your loading screens. lol

I wasn't really sure what I wanted to put. This is what I decided on, as I played around with it a couple of days ago.

Also, Jim, I respect your opinion and your position as, basically, the head of the TC team. If there is anything I do that doesn't really fit into the TC "way", let me know. I may not always change everything (I'd like to have my own touch on this), but if it is gonna use your guys name, I wanna keep it in the same vein as the rest of the lineup.

That's why I have been bugging you so much the past few days anyway :p

Unbelievable. You guys are amazing. I wish I had the computer know how that you guys have. I have been looking for this since 2005 when I first started playing this-thanks again for your hard work.

I don't have the photoshop talent a lot of these guys have. Having said that, everything I have learned about computers (or modding this game), I have learned one of two ways. One, is just messing around with stuff. I figure, if I back up my most important stuff, what's the worst thing that can happen from "experimenting"? I have to pop in my discs, and reformat my PC, or reload MVP (or whatever it is I am messing with).

Not everyone feels that way though.

The other thing. Just ask. I guarantee, if you really try your best to learn something on your own, and people see you make an effort to do it on your own, they are much more likely to be willing to help explain stuff you can't quite get on your own.

Man. I found an amazing photo of Fenway from the 1914 world series. I see now that MVP 05 wasn't too far off on their classic version of Fenway. The pic was HUGE, and in great quality. This is after I resized it to what I needed for my load screen.

0000-1.jpg

You know whats crazy? For all of the TC mods I have downloaded over the past year, I have never even loaded one up, let alone played it. I mean, I love classic baseball, but I have always been more of an all time kinda guy. I have had these rosters done, for the most part, since last summer. Granted I am making changes to them, and some rating tweaks, now that it is going public... In other words, when I have played MVP over the past 6-8 months, it has been with my rosters, so TCs have never been played.

My point? I have never even seen one of your loading screens. lol

Here are some from the mods I have created or helped with:

Total Classics 10 (screens created by Fuzz and Sandman)

Total Classics 1927 (screens created by Sal)

Total Classics 1946

Total Classics 1951

Total Classics 1956

Total Classics 1978

I wasn't really sure what I wanted to put. This is what I decided on, as I played around with it a couple of days ago.

Also, Jim, I respect your opinion and your position as, basically, the head of the TC team. If there is anything I do that doesn't really fit into the TC "way", let me know. I may not always change everything (I'd like to have my own touch on this), but if it is gonna use your guys name, I wanna keep it in the same vein as the rest of the lineup.

I don't know if I would consider myself the head of the team. I'm just the one that is still the most active, or I should say most visible, since I continue to release mods. Others (AlexTony, Yankees763, etc.) are still active behind the scenes, developing audios or logos.

Never feel like you have to conform to the way that we have done things. I've just pointed out (both here and in the PM's we've swapped) some of the consistencies we try to implement in the Total Classics mods.

That's why I have been bugging you so much the past few days anyway :p

Never feel like you are bugging me. I'm always glad to answer questions and provide help. As I've told others, it's always great to get new modders (especially total conversion modders) on board. It just helps prolong the life of MVP2005.

Here are some from the mods I have created or helped with:

Total Classics 10 (screens created by Fuzz and Sandman)

fuxsfs.jpg

Looks like all of them use the same template. I saw a similar one on here for download, but I don't remember there being a spot for a picture. Maybe there was.

I'll look into it again.

Looks like all of them use the same template. I saw a similar one on here for download, but I don't remember there being a spot for a picture. Maybe there was.

I'll look into it again.

As I said in one of my earliers posts in this thread, Sandman sent me his template that was used to create the TC10 screens. It was never available for download. I simply removed the MVP Baseball 2005 logo from the lower left corner and I use this template for the loading screens I create in all of my mods. Sal created all of the loading screens in the TC1927 mod. I can't remember if I sent him Sandman's template, or if he created his template using one of the screens from the other TC mods. As you can see, he put a team initial in the lower left corner of his screens.

There is a utility called "All Screens Maker" that was created by compmaniac. It does allow you to create loading screens, but I use Sandman's template. I do use the All Screens Maker to create my initial loading screen (the one that is displayed when the game starts up).

As I said in one of my earliers posts in this thread, Sandman sent me his template that was used to create the TC10 screens. It was never available for download. I simply removed the MVP Baseball 2005 logo from the lower left corner and I use this template for the loading screens I create in all of my mods. Sal created all of the loading screens in the TC1927 mod. I can't remember if I sent him Sandman's template, or if he created his template using one of the screens from the other TC mods. As you can see, he put a team initial in the lower left corner of his screens.

There is a utility called "All Screens Maker" that was created by compmaniac. It does allow you to create loading screens, but I use Sandman's template. I do use the All Screens Maker to create my initial loading screen (the one that is displayed when the game starts up).

Yeah, Fizzjob actually uploaded the template (as you can see) back in 2005. You must have just over looked it. :p

Anyway, I used the "all screens maker" to do the initial load screen, splash screen, license page, and CTS screen... But then I re did some of them manually because I didn't like the overlay options.

EDIT: The wife shot my template down too. Told me the one you recommend is better as well. Looks more professional... Which it does...

Archived