Ranking Your Favorite Sports Teams

Sean O

Wasn't John Gilliam somewhere in there too?  

Gilliam played for the Vikings from '72 - '75 and made the Pro Bowl all 4 years. Sammy White was drafted by the Vikings in '76 and won the Rookie of the Year award that year.

Gilliam played for the Vikings from '72 - '75 and made the Pro Bowl all 4 years.  Sammy White was drafted by the Vikings in '76 and won the Rookie of the Year award that year.

Ah, ok.  I vaguely remember those teams (I was 9 or 10) but for some reason Gilliam and White stuck out for me.  I just didn't realize he was gone by then.

If I recall correctly, Raiders wide receiver Fred Biletnikoff cheated his way to the Super Bowl MVP by applying liberal amounts of "Stickum" to his hands, giving him an unfair advantage and making it easier to catch the football. I also seem to remember that running back Mark van Eeghen also used it as well. If the Raiders had played fairly, I'm sure the Vikings would have hoisted the Lombardi trophy that day. Don't you agree? :)

No, you are wrong on that one. Biletnikoff didn't cheat his way to the Super Bowl MVP that year. Stickum was still legal then. It was not outlawed until after the 1980 season.

Oakland ran the ball at will that day against Minnesota. They could have left the stickum in the locker room.

Here's an ESPN article about the Raiders affinity for Stickum and how at least one player became a mere mortal without it: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/cheat/news/story?id=2957892

Those are the Raiders I remember. Lester Hayes was the last player to use this in the NFL. There's also a story about Fred Biletnikoff that is not in that article. He was being criticized for using stickum all the time and people were saying to him that was why he caught so many balls. So he told everyone to watch the next game. In that game he didn't use any stickum and he had one of his best games ever.

No, you are wrong on that one. Biletnikoff didn't cheat his way to the Super Bowl MVP that year. Stickum was still legal then. It was not outlawed until after the 1980 season.

Oakland ran the ball at will that day against Minnesota. They could have left the stickum in the locker room.

I know.... I know.... It's just my feeble attempt at trying to rationalize the loss that year. It's easier than admitting that Oakland played better.... :(

1a. Detroit Tigers (deepest -- would explode if they won the World Series)

Blogs I post on: Bless You Boys (SBNation), Roar of the Tigers

1b. Michigan Wolverines football (greatest interest - spend most time)

MGoBlog

1c. Detroit Red Wings (most passionate. Every win and loss affects the following day)

The Production Line, Red Wings Central (Abel to Yzerman is the standard-bearer, but not my thing)

2. New York Mets

The Wright Stache (my blog), Metsblog

3. Michigan hockey

MGoBlog, Blog that Yost Built

4. Pistons when they're winning

none

5. Lions when they're...oh who am I kidding.

none

Archived