Ideas for the site? Post them here!

Yankee4Life

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

In light of the always present nagging questions about the release date of a certain mod and the other numerous questions that have to be answered mutiple times, would it be possible to have a re-direct after a user registers with links to Read Firsts? I'm not sure if this has been suggested or is already in place. If so, then great, if not, let me clarify myself.

What I was thinking is that after a new user registers, verifies, etc... the first page they would see would be a "Welcome to MVPMods" page with links first to the "Rules" page and then links concerning Modding, Downloading, and other need to know topics. Threads to be included would be xiberger's MVP 2005 for dummies (Which is what gave me this idea), All-Encompassing FAQs, Modding Questions, and what not.

Anyhow, not sure if this is possible, or if has already been implemented, just a passing thought.

Cheerio!

Unless we point users to goatse.cx or Tubgirl images after registration, I really don't think it would have much, if any effect at all, as they will almost always go straight to the downloads section after activating their account, and after that, if they have any problems, they will make a thread in the forum. And 9 times out of 10, they will not search for the answer to their problem - they will just create a new thread.

The sad part is, I actually know this from fact, having watched quite a few users go through the registration process, activate their accounts, then go straight to downloads and new threads without ever using the search or going anywhere near the forum.

You know MarkB, I belong to another gaming forum that addresses that issue very well. Don't know if we could do it here though.

After a new user signs in, they are put on a probationary period where they can't make any posts except in a NOOB section of the forum. This forces them to SEARCH for answers and explore the forums. After a certain time limit or post count, they other forum areas are opened up for them to post in.

Forces them to READ FAQ's so they have no excuse down the road for when they get into trouble for doing something against said rules.

Cuts down on also people that are banned, and then turn right back around to show their anger by making a new account and spamming up the forums. Also the duplicate threads about the same problems, are cut down tremendously.

Don't know if we want/or could do something like that here, but I see it more and more on forums now.

Just a thought and my 2 cents. :wink:

This is something we looked at a while back, and in short, it means creating another 2 new usergroups, then, when new members join, add them to the new users group, then either manually or automatically add them to the permanent one after a set time frame, post count or whatever. If I remember correctly, it's a lot of work, but it's definitely possible.

Archived