Ideas for the site? Post them here!

Yankee4Life

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

couple ideas to beef up the search function:

1. display results by the number of posts in the thread

Reasoning being: if your looking for a thread that you know was popular, or for that matter unpopular, then this would help you find it much much quicker

2. theres two options, search message text, and search message text and topic title... add the option to search for topic title only

Reasoning being: i find myself remembering the topic fairly clearly and therefore it would be nice to that option, because its terrible to sift through 329302 threads that happen to have the same words in them, when you specifically know its in the title

3. My final suggestion is to have maybe a slider bar or a direct jump to a specific page in a search result.

Reasoning being: i think we've had this before... and for instance when you send someone a pm but forget their exact name... its terrible to try to find it, or when your going through 930 some slider threads for a noob, itd cut search time for a particular thread in like 1/1000

anyways, maybe they are feasible, maybe they arent... just my ideas for tonite

Maybe have a weekly interview with a modder, or member. You know, just some questions for some people to read. Maybe something like every two weeks.

Also can we bring back the Newsletter? I liked that. IF noone is willing to do this, I will.

two more ideas...

1) can we make it so that the default search option is searching for all keywords rather than any.... this would narrow searching results for people who dont know what they are doing and i think people would give up less easily

2) this is sort of a far out idea, but maybe for all users that have x amount of posts or less, when they go to start a new topic, a reminder comes up to search the forums first thats sorta like "if you are asking a question, did you search the forums first? Click here to go to the forum search page. Thank you"... this could be very polite, and could really help new users out alot... and the regulars would sure appreciate it :) i was thinking somewhere from the first 10-25 posts, just whatever the admins decide if they wanna use the idea... and again, just for starting new topics, not replying to topics.... just an idea tho

can we make it so that the default search option is searching for all keywords rather than any.... this would narrow searching results for people who dont know what they are doing and i think people would give up less easily

Good idea, this is now the default setting.

Thanks

I'd like to ask why, beside the search box, it says to use NOT for keywords that should not be in the result? Then why would you be typing them? This reminds me of Y4L's 7/11 incident...

Speaking of searches, is it possible to add a search to the Member list?

-dan

I'd like to ask why, beside the search box, it says to use NOT for keywords that should not be in the result? Then why would you be typing them? This reminds me of Y4L's 7/11 incident...

-dan

It's actually for phrases that should be excluded from the search results, rather than phrases that should be ignored at the point when you hit the "Perform Search" button.

For example, if one thread said "Test One Two Three" and another said "Test One Two Three Four", you searched for "test" and chose not to show the word "Four", only the first thread would be shown because the search engine picks up the word "four" in thread 2 and because it knows you're not interested in "four", it won't show that thread as a result in the search results page.l

Hope that makes sense. ;)

I see. I wish I knew that earlier...would have saved me oodles of time. :smile:

I'm not liking the new buttons at the top of the page - I liked the other ones better. They were cleaner, blended in more. These new ones are blocky and stand out too much. Just my 1.5 cents...

I got another idea...ok, two...

When you have a new PM in your Inbox, is there the possibility that somewhere on your user menu on the left side there, there can be a link (or more) directly to the new PM, instead of having to visit your Inbox first?

Also, and I noticed other forums have this - when editing a post, could we add an option to delete the post? It comes in handy sometimes when you're inaccurate or said something somebody else already said.

-dan

hey guys.. i was wondering if we could get a mvpmods:the league with minor league levels instead of just the mlb. Just a thought.

Creating another league is easy enough. Finding enough dedicated quality owners is the tough part.

Adding on to my list of suggestions of the previous page, I thought of another [good] one... why not make a page of the list of downloads to get if you're just getting started or found the site? You'd obviously have the 06 mod, but any stadiums that were updated, new rosters, etc. Not individual downloads, such as a cyberface for one player, but the stuff you should probably get. I am going to reinstall the game today and realized I had no clue what to get.

-dan

Adding on to my list of suggestions of the previous page, I thought of another [good] one... why not make a page of the list of downloads to get if you're just getting started or found the site? You'd obviously have the 06 mod, but any stadiums that were updated, new rosters, etc. Not individual downloads, such as a cyberface for one player, but the stuff you should probably get. I am going to reinstall the game today and realized I had no clue what to get.

-dan

Not a bad idea Dan, but someone's list of downloads to get when you are first getting started could be completely different then someone else's. For example, let's just say I wanted to get some mods after I reinstalled the game. These are the ones I would look for first:

Files I'd get if I had or did not have the 06 mod

1. Fuzz's Studio

2. KC's uniform package. (can be overlooked if get the 06 mod)

3. The mod that fixes the shimmering grass.

4. The organ mod to replace the rally music.

5. The mod that lets you skip the intro movies when you start the game.

6. YES Network overlay.

7. Trues' dirty ball/clean ball mod.

8. Hory's portraits.(Can be overlooked if you get the 06 mod of course)

9. Oldtime uniforms by fizzjob, sandman, etc, etc.

10. Stadiums created by PaulW.

11. EAGraph, LocLook and MvpEdit.

12. The newest Ultimate Rosters/Swingin Soriano roster set.

13. A Yankee CTS screen.

14. Total Classics (latest version)

15. Datafile.

16. Cyberfaces of the Yankees.

17. Gloves by the spungo and other people.

18. Some audio mods by Uncle Mo.

19. Various minor league stadiums by Bodhiball.

20. The Box Score Extractor by tywiggins.

21. Kraw's installer thingy.

See what I mean? I just thought of these just now. That would be where I would start from. But others would look at this list and think that maybe what is on my list isn't something they care to have. That's why I don't know if we can have a "must have" list for Mvp downloads.

Give me your thoughts on this.

I think individual teams tuff should be left out, but how about adding big shmooz's models.big instead of individual faces. that way they have a choice of either moser's umachine's or KC's uniforms. Or how about under the stadiums folder, you can have sub folders of "2006 Stadiums" and "2005 stadiums".

I think individual teams tuff should be left out, but how about adding big shmooz's models.big instead of individual faces. that way they have a choice of either moser's umachine's or KC's uniforms. Or how about under the stadiums folder, you can have sub folders of "2006 Stadiums" and "2005 stadiums".

:) And that's what I'm saying. Everyone would go in a different direction if they were in a situation that they had to re-install something. Your ideas were not bad.

I see. Well, where I am, here's what I want to do...

I don't want to mod anything myself, I don't want to start a dynasty, I don't need to change uniforms every three days, I don't need 502.1 cyberfaces installed - I just want to play the game with the new 06 mod, of course, music, fox overlay, KC's unis, new stadiums, and that's it. Then there could be a list of extra add-ons for those who'd like to go more in-depth.

-dan

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a suggestion, for the forums...

Some kinda drop down box/text input box thingy in the botton right or top left corner that lets you select any page of the topic you want rather than 1, 2, 3...last 3 pages.

Here's a suggestion, for the forums...

Some kinda drop down box/text input box thingy in the botton right or top left corner that lets you select any page of the topic you want rather than 1, 2, 3...last 3 pages.

didn't we have this last year (or maybe the early part of this year)? i was wondering the other day where that went...

as for the "mods to get list", i think it's a good idea in theory, but Y4L is right in that everyone has different opinions about that; and it could start discussions or arguments that would really be pointless. one of those "less filling", "taste great" deals...

bama, i suggested that idea a couple weeks back and i remember there somethin being said about how the current system we use might not suport that, although there is a way around it.... up top in the address bar, it shows the post number of the top post of that page... for instance, i view by 15 posts/page... so i just change by multiples of 15 to get what page i would like

bama, i suggested that idea a couple weeks back and i remember there somethin being said about how the current system we use might not suport that, although there is a way around it.... up top in the address bar, it shows the post number of the top post of that page... for instance, i view by 15 posts/page... so i just change by multiples of 15 to get what page i would like

oh, my bad..

But i'm not too good at math... anyway, just a a suggestion...

lol, yea but it doesnt have to be exactly by 15... put in any random number, and itll take you to that exact post... the multiple of 15 just takes you to the top of the page.... but really, any post # would work as long as its a post

Idea For The Site:

Allow users to have capability to go and delete threads they've created that they deem unnecessary, "spamilicious", etc.

I don't know what bandwidth is, but this may help the site out, and take work out of the admins hands.

If the admins are concerned that a negative minded user will delete usefull threads out of spite or idiocy, then allow for the function where the user flags the thread (or sends an admin a PM with a link to the thread?) where the admin can verify the legitimacy of the need to delete the thread.

The Great Modini has spoken.

Archived