TheSpungo's Total Mod Thread

thespungo

No one's saying you are a horrible person for wanting to charge for the time involved in creating your uniforms. If this is what you want to do, then go right ahead. You and Trues each have very valid and understandable reasons for having to resort to charging a small fee for what is offered. Heck, Trues has a website that he has to support and he has been doing it since 2004 and it is not unreasonable to assume that it must have been tough during some of those months in the past to pay the server costs when money was tight.

As for you, I get it as well. I've read your thread over at Eamods in the past and every single time someone had some minor complaint with one of the uniforms (maybe the number wasn't big or small enough, or the color of the button on the uniform may have been the wrong color, etc) you would then go out and fix it and update your uniform set. And it happened time and time again which took more and more of your time.

The way I see it is for the price of ten dollars, which is much less than going to a matinee movie and buying a popcorn and drink, you can have access to all the downloads you want on this website and have your updates to the Mvp uniforms also. That's how this should be considered.

So then you think last year's donation amount is the good way to go? That seems to be the consensus from the few who have responded so far.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So then you think last year's donation amount is the good way to go? That seems to be the consensus from the few who have responded so far.

Yes I do. Again the final word is up to you, but a five spot won't kill anyone. Or you can offer something off for purchasers from last year, which may bring more people in this year because they may get something off the bill for 2011. Who knows? One thing I do know is I would have bought it last year but then three hospital stays got in my way and that was the end of that.

Having someone's time being compensated is never wrong if those who are willing to pay a fee will do so. Just because modders have typically been more communal over the years doesn't mean that some type of compensation shouldn't have/couldn't have been incorporated. Sure you didn't come up with the original designs of the uniforms that are being modified, etc., etc. But, then again, lawyers didn't come up with the original principles or were involved in precedent setting cases that they use to do their jobs and gain an income. And you can find all types of examples in all professions. If people don't really want it, don't pay for it. (But don't call it a donation ..... it's a fee).

I guess for the amount of time you have put into your mods, which is years, then yes, $5.00 is well worth it. It would scare me though, if everyone started charging for their mods....that would add up quickly.

My question is, do you want to provide another update, or is it a money thing? Are you still doing it because you love modding, or because you want the cash?

• 2 weeks later...

It occurred to me that about nine days ago in this thread we were talking about Spungo's uniforms for 2010, the price he wants for it and how fair his asking price was considering all the time and work he's put into it. Spungo asked what I thought of it and if you look back I said I understood why he is charging for this.

It also occurred to me that I should back up what I said about these uniforms so today I purchased the 2010 uniforms for the price of five dollars which also gives the user updates to the uniforms right up to the World Series in October.

If you want information about the uniforms, go to his website. All you need to do is have a Paypal account and in a matter of minutes I got the link to the uniforms and the password needed to extract the file. It installs perfectly with the TiT program and I don't regret for one second parting with five dollars to make my game look even better and up to date.

Take a look for example the Baltimore road uniform:

For five dollars my game looks a lot better than it did.

last year they wanted to kill you, this year they want to kiss you

Let's just say I have no reason and I don't want any reason to fight with the guy because that got nowhere fast. I'd rather try to understand where he's coming from and if he wants to charge the five bucks for the full version of his uniforms then it is his business and not for me to say. Simple as that.

his work is still top notch. too bad we can't get more contributions and get him to do the classics.

That would be something to see.

I have a feeling that his classic uniforms would look just great in the mod you are making if he ever made them. I've always liked classic throwback uniforms as opposed to the fantasy ones.

I certainly would be a meaningful contributor to such an effort with The Classics.

Hey stecropper good to see you on here. You must have just awakened from your long dream that had the saints winning the Super Bowl. It didn't really happen you know. ;-)

Hey stecropper good to see you on here. You must have just awakened from your long dream that had the saints winning the Super Bowl. It didn't really happen you know. ;-)

I must admit, even though not a real diehard Saints fan (I am a diehard LSU fan), it was really something being here in New Orleans during that run of theirs to the championship. The City went absolutely nuts about it all! I did have a house full of family guess here with us watching the Superbowl and it was like no house party atmosphere I had ever seen (even including those recent LSU National Championship games). They all rushed out to the French Quarters (Bourbon Street) moments after it was over to join thousands upon thousands of others! I stayed behind because I really was pretty Zonked by then.

The City actually partied about 3-4 weeks over the Saints Championship ......... which was good to see because a lot of tensions that had grown here since Katrina seemed to have been really tossed aside for awhile. I really think the Vikings had the best football team in 2009 but the Saints just had the character and committment needed to win it all!

Alright, well here's what I say:

Start me up a classics thread with a poll, and have people vote whether or not they would donate to have a whole new set of classic uniforms. If the number gets up to a reasonable level, I'll do it.

Unfortunately for me, I have to be in this for the money. I am a freelance graphic designer by day and am looking for a full-time position, so any big design project I take on needs to benefit me in the form of American dollars. That sucks, I know, but time is money and I can't spend months on a project that takes away from paid projects.

So if you guys are cool with donating, I'm fine with spending some quality time on making some classic uniforms. In addition to getting a headcount for those interested, also post the uniforms you guys would require in the update so I can get an idea of how big you want it. The more people interested, the bigger the project can get.

Get the thread started and we'll see where this goes...

• 2 weeks later...

Spungo's uniforms have been updated and everyone who is a registered member has already received notice on the update. Here is what is included in version 1.1:

- New undershirts for all MLB teams

- Equipment changes for most MLB teams

- Minor tweaks and several new uniforms

All this is included in the plus version of his uniform set and it can be yours for the price of five dollars.

Now look, I am not going to try to snow anyone here but when the five dollar charge was first introduced for these uniforms I was one among many that did not like it and didn't mind saying so. But I have had a change of heart towards what he is doing because of all the time and effort he's obviously put into this.

Spungo, along with people like Jim825, DylanBradbury, OTBJoel, etc, etc are the modders that are still keeping Mvp baseball alive for those of us still satisfied with what we have. I may own 2k10 but nothing will ever come as close to what we have with Mvp baseball. And the only reason why I own 2k10 was I got it for 3 dollars.

So what I did here was spend five dollars and I gave it to a guy that makes some of the best uniforms around and for that I get updates for the entire baseball season.

Again, it's only five dollars. You can spend more going through a McDonald's drive-thru and these uniforms will do a lot more for you than a Big Mac will.

I agree!! I wonder too why no one is interested in modding new stadiums for MVP (Yankee, Target Field)under a similar arrangement. I bet there are a lot of us who would be more than happy to pay $5 per new stadium mod. For the amount of work it takes, and for the great detail the really good modders put into it, it's worth it!!

Thanks for the unis Spungo!

I'm about to release another update here in the next few days, already the third of the season. I've gone through and included all the new equipment everyone's wearing. If you guys have any suggestions of shoes or other things you'd like to see in the update, post 'em here.