Mvp 2011 Mod Petition

JoeRudi26

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe Rudi, I would like to start this out here by committing myself to this project. I would like to volunteer my hi-res photos that I have collected over the years to you. If this is acceptable to you I will get the photos and zip them up and I will upload them to my FTP site and you and Trues or anyone else who would care to see them can download them and check them out. I will try to get about 100 or so for you.

Also, I volunteer to put together the jukebox music for this mod. I do know how to convert the mp3 files to .ASF as I have done it many times. If given the go ahead for this, I have an idea as to what songs should be put in there. I will make a thread and I will take requests from the people here to see what they'd like to hear and if I get multiple requests for the same song I will get the mp3.

I do know how to edit the FEENG.LOC file to display the correct song names in the game.

In short, I will do what I can and I will follow your lead. I'm at your disposal.

Joe Rudi, I would like to start this out here by committing myself to this project. I would like to volunteer my hi-res photos that I have collected over the years to you. If this is acceptable to you I will get the photos and zip them up and I will upload them to my FTP site and you and Trues or anyone else who would care to see them can download them and check them out. I will try to get about 100 or so for you.

Also, I volunteer to put together the jukebox music for this mod. I do know how to convert the mp3 files to .ASF as I have done it many times. If given the go ahead for this, I have an idea as to what songs should be put in there. I will make a thread and I will take requests from the people here to see what they'd like to hear and if I get multiple requests for the same song I will get the mp3.

I do know how to edit the FEENG.LOC file to display the correct song names in the game.

In short, I will do what I can and I will follow your lead. I'm at your disposal.

Absolutely Y4L, this is the kind of feedback that makes it possible to get this thing rolling. Granted, we have a sufficient amount of time if a projected release date would be for the start of next season, so seeing people step up like this may just make this a reality.

Homer suggested that we need more people willing to step up and at least learn to mod, and he's right, but not only that, I think getting a good general response from the community that people would be even willing to come back to MVP would be one of the first places to start.

Quite simply, I could live with a roster update for the start of next season and be happy enough to play the game, but even if we get updates here and there along the winter, it may just be enough to keep the ball rolling. 

I'll have some time over the weekend to compile a list of who has offered their services so far, and just a general list of mods that we may or may not want to update, and whoever on this board wants to chime in with suggestions and/or comments, please do so.

But remember, the more people that are willing to come back to MVP, and the more people that are willing to work on an update, the more it becomes a reality.

We've got 7 months before the start of next season, and the mod doesn't have to be perfect, there should be minimal pressure if we get enough people on board.

Well I'm more than happy to throw my hat in the ring. Obviously once September comes around my time will be restricted by college work (And deciding on a Uni Spot, Yikes), but I'm willing to contribute in pretty much every section.

I'd be happy to help anyway I can. I know nothing about modding, but if someone points me in the right direction... I'd learn to do rosters. In 5 or 6 months I should be able to get players on the right teams at least. :D

you will also need to keep in mind that once the season is over, these boards are absolutely dead. if people commit to doing this, they need to be on board through that time or else it won't work.

As far as the last few years are concerned, I think most people, including me, have half expected that the next "great PC baseball game" will drop from the sky come the following spring. In terms of what we have now with the 2K title, I can probably speak for most people when I say that the series is light years behind MVP, updated graphics or not.

I'm not sure if 2K plans to hold the license and release their title again for next year, but if they are, this community will probably regret (once again) that we didn't take this seriously.

I know I will.

Well I'm more than happy to throw my hat in the ring. Obviously once September comes around my time will be restricted by college work (And deciding on a Uni Spot, Yikes), but I'm willing to contribute in pretty much every section.

That's awesome news andy, we've all seen your work, and you'd be a major asset on this project. I'll get you on the list.

I'd be happy to help anyway I can. I know nothing about modding, but if someone points me in the right direction... I'd learn to do rosters. In 5 or 6 months I should be able to get players on the right teams at least. :D

Thanks max, but to be honest creating an updated roster set is more than "getting the right players on the right teams". It involves updated attributes, stats, ratings, and so on, not to mention a full, head on effort to get the minor league players created and updated. It's a tedious process that takes tremendous dedication. Not saying that anyone couldn't do it, but once pointed in the right direction, and with ample time and dedication, I'm sure we could get a quality set. (see Dylan's Rating's Calculators)

I have been lurking every so often in hopes of new updates. I would be willing to offer my services as well. I am pretty handy with Photoshop and could work on portraits/logos.

We would need some sort of approval to use some the the pre-existing mods, no? I would imagine this could be a stumbling block. For instance, not to many modders were adept at stadium editing, and just trying to learn it would be a monumental task I would imagine.

I am also good with databases and if could be shown a way of importing stats into a roster set (if possible) could extract data from Lahman's to update yearly/career stats.

I agree, to this day, nothing has touched MVP as far as PC baseball goes!

I have been lurking every so often in hopes of new updates.  I would be willing to offer my services as well.  I am pretty handy with Photoshop and could work on portraits/logos.

We would need some sort of approval to use some the the pre-existing mods, no?  

Thanks for the offer PB, I'll mark you down. This is why I initially brought up the point for charging for the mod. There has been a ton of work already that would probably need to be used (stadiums, unis, cyberfaces etc.), and without a doubt we would need permission to use them.

IMO, it's up to the person that created the mod if they want to charge a fee, some may be for it, but from what I've seen so far, most do not. I plan on working on overlays in my spare time during the winter, and I can tell you personally that just being able to play an updated MVP next year is good enough for me. I wouldn't want to be compensated.

I guess the first thing we'll need to do is figure out what pre existing mods will need to be used, and go from there.

stadiums are a stumbling block because no one does any actual modelling work. the only modders that have done them recently have just swapped out textures. and getting permission lately hasn't been an issue because that's just been blatantly ignored as far as stadiums go.

i will tell you that cyberfaces, player audios, and uniforms will be the biggest stumbling blocks as far as getting permission to use them from past modders. and i understand the frustration with having to do so, but permission still needs to be granted before they are used.

Homer we can do the same thing for the stadiums on this mod that I suggested for your mod. If of course it comes down to it.

Also how many loading screens are there for this game?

i know what you mean, but i think it'd be lame if we had to do that. especially for this since the mod would be hosted here at the same site as the stadium mods. all the stadium mods are already here, so we should be able to use them. it won't be that hard to get permission for most of them, which we should do anyhow out of respect for the modders. i just know that most of the updated stadiums this year have been updated from previous modders' work without permission or even credit. i'm just saying it's about time we do that if we want to use them.

my main issue with stadiums is that no one can create any new stadiums since our modders only know how to do the ads. like i said before, a few people need to step up and learn this. same with cyberfaces. otherwise we're going to be really stuck in those two departments trying to keep everything updated.

I guess if all else fails, a good solid roster set (attached to the '08 mod) for next year may be the best we can do, barring the fact that we couldn't get permission to update pre existing mods and/or get enough people to cover all the bases in the modding department. Even at that, we would need to get KG's permission if that roster set is used as a base, and rightfully so.

All said and done, I think it would benefit anyone that wants to play the best PC baseball game still available. I'm not holding my breath for a miracle, and I'm certainly not expecting 2K to come anywhere close to MVP's standards.

We have plenty of time, if we keep this thread alive and see how it progresses in the next few months, we might just be on to something.

jr, have you got a running list together yet?  i'm curious to see what we have for each part of this game.

Not yet, I stated a page back or so that I wanted to let this thread go through the weekend, and see where we are from there. I'll have one up by Monday.

Reading this thread over again I think I see a few things here:

1. There still is a substantial interest in a new mod for Mvp.

2. There are new people here willing to donate their time to making this a reality.

All well and good.

But there are questions that arise here and thanks to Homer they have been brought up here.

1. As JoeRudi said there is about seven months until the start of spring training (and eight for opening day obviously) and once the World Series is done the forums here do slow down. And I got to tell you everyone October is not that far away. It will be here before you know it because this baseball season is just flying by once again. So what we need from people who really want to help on this is their commitment to being here to do only what they can during the off season.

2. There should be a list of things needed to do to make this mod a reality (which of course this has been touched upon already) and it should be posted so everyone can see it and they need to understand what is expected to complete that part of the mod. In other words do not sign up and say you want to do portraits when you don't know how to do them.

Would LOVE to see this happen! Given my current circumstances (unemployed & trying to support my family with a small percentage of my former income), paying for it would likely be out of the question for me, at least right now....but I would be willing to help out any way I can. Zero experience modding..never done it...but am more than willing to learn. Let me know if there's anything I can help out with...and, of course, where I can learn how to do it!!

if i had to pick two things that we are in need of, it would be that more people learn these:

http://www.mvpmods.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=4280

http://www.mlbmods.com/index.php/downloads/mvp-2005/mvp-tutorials/homers-cyberface-video-tutorial

As promised, and hopefully to keep this going, I went ahead and made a list of site members that have posted in this thread who have offered to donate some of their time to work on this mod before the start of next season. So far, this is what we have:

Tentative List/Subject to Change

Y4L - Hi Res Photos/Jukebox Music/LOC files

MILKMANANT - Player Audio/Logos/Portraits

JoeRudi26 & Trues - Overlays

DadofTwins - Never modded, but willing to learn

SSX - LOC Files/Unis/Logos/Rosters

DylanBradbury - 2011 Schedule

DJ Eagles - Unis

Jim825 - Installer

ar_key - Rosters/Portraits

dennisjames

Jim825 - Loading screens/Menu screens/Stadium select screens

Playball - Portraits/Logos

Essientially, this is what we have so far in terms of members that have posted that are willing to help. Granted, more than one person can work on the same type of mod if they choose to do so, obviously, the more help the better. In other words, just because MILKMANANT says he's capable of doing Portraits, it doesn't mean that anyone else with the know how can't step in and work on them too. In fact, this is exactly what we need to make this all happen. I don't want to speak for Homer, but he's been very active in this thread and he's obviously capable of contributing, but like most of us, I'm sure he wants to see this project start to gel before he commits to anything. And rightfully so, no one wants to waste their time.

As far as what can be modded in the game is pretty self explanatory, most of us have been here for a number of years and just looking through the download section it's obvious that almost every aspect of the game can be updated. Not all, but most, at least good enough to get a solid update for next season.

Off the top of my head, and chime in if I miss something, because I'm sure I will, here are the main aspects of the game that should be updated:

Rosters (MLB, Minors)

Unis/Accessories

Stadiums

Audio (Player, Music)

Cyberfaces

Schedule/Year Changer

The only thing I didn't list was tools and editors, and whatever could be listed under miscellaneous. Obviously, these are general mods and wouldn't be a major relevance in terms of an update. Of course, it never hurts to expand on either.

Anyway, this is what we have so far, and if I've missed something, please feel free to add to this list.

Archived