Mvp 2011 Mod Petition

JoeRudi26

Ah yes, I almost forgot about XP Mode in Windows 7...thanks for the reminder. In either case I would just have to hunt down my XP CD and get that on. I actually pretty excited to get going on this. True stadium modding has been the one thing I haven't been able to do in the past few months...now I'll get the chance.

that would be a good question to ask SeanO. he's the only one here who has experience with it. though i can confirm that oedit only works on Xp. if you have windows 7, you could try installing it in XP Mode.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well if your computer can use xp mode, i would suggest that first. this is mainly because i'm the only person i know of that uses oedit :) i would like to know if it works in xp mode. but let me know how it goes. i'm always excited to see guys trying new things here.

Hey thanks Homer...When I get home tonight I'll let you know if I can run Oedit in XP Mode. I hope that works out too. Yeah, I'm going to give this 100% effort and I'm sure I'll make significant progress. The first order of business is that I want to remove the damn big bat & ball out of my Create-A-Stadiums that I did this year. Lol! Then I want to see about editing/updating rolie's Dodger Stadium and trying my hand at building new ones as well.

well if your computer can use xp mode, i would suggest that first. this is mainly because i'm the only person i know of that uses oedit :) i would like to know if it works in xp mode. but let me know how it goes. i'm always excited to see guys trying new things here.

As promised, and hopefully to keep this going, I went ahead and made a list of site members that have posted in this thread who have offered to donate some of their time to work on this mod before the start of next season. So far, this is what we have:

Tentative List/Subject to Change

Y4L - Hi Res Photos/Jukebox Music/LOC files

MILKMANANT - Player Audio/Logos/Portraits

JoeRudi26 & Trues - Overlays

DadofTwins - Never modded, but willing to learn

SSX -  LOC Files/Unis/Logos/Rosters 

DylanBradbury - 2011 Schedule

DJ Eagles - Unis

Jim825 - Installer

ar_key - Rosters/Portraits

dennisjames 

Essientially, this is what we have so far in terms of members that have posted that are willing to help. Granted, more than one person can work on the same type of mod if they choose to do so, obviously, the more help the better. In other words, just because MILKMANANT says he's capable of doing Portraits, it doesn't mean that anyone else with the know how can't step in and work on them too. In fact, this is exactly what we need to make this all happen. I don't want to speak for Homer, but he's been very active in this thread and he's obviously capable of contributing, but like most of us, I'm sure he wants to see this project start to gel before he commits to anything. And rightfully so, no one wants to waste their time.

As far as what can be modded in the game is pretty self explanatory, most of us have been here for a number of years and just looking through the download section it's obvious that almost every aspect of the game can be updated. Not all, but most, at least good enough to get a solid update for next season.

Off the top of my head, and chime in if I miss something, because I'm sure I will, here are the main aspects of the game that should be updated:

Rosters (MLB, Minors)

Unis/Accessories

Stadiums

Audio (Player, Music)

Cyberfaces

Schedule/Year Changer

The only thing I didn't list was tools and editors, and whatever could be listed under miscellaneous. Obviously, these are general mods and wouldn't be a major relevance in terms of an update. Of course, it never hurts to expand on either.

Anyway, this is what we have so far, and if I've missed something, please feel free to add to this list.

You forgot to add me to the list. :)

I can help with portraits, logos and if time permits I will see if I can learn something new.

As promised, and hopefully to keep this going, I went ahead and made a list of site members that have posted in this thread who have offered to donate some of their time to work on this mod before the start of next season. So far, this is what we have:

Tentative List/Subject to Change

Y4L - Hi Res Photos/Jukebox Music/LOC files

MILKMANANT - Player Audio/Logos/Portraits

JoeRudi26 & Trues - Overlays

DadofTwins - Never modded, but willing to learn

SSX -  LOC Files/Unis/Logos/Rosters 

DylanBradbury - 2011 Schedule

DJ Eagles - Unis

Jim825 - Installer

ar_key - Rosters/Portraits

dennisjames 

Essientially, this is what we have so far in terms of members that have posted that are willing to help. Granted, more than one person can work on the same type of mod if they choose to do so, obviously, the more help the better. In other words, just because MILKMANANT says he's capable of doing Portraits, it doesn't mean that anyone else with the know how can't step in and work on them too. In fact, this is exactly what we need to make this all happen. I don't want to speak for Homer, but he's been very active in this thread and he's obviously capable of contributing, but like most of us, I'm sure he wants to see this project start to gel before he commits to anything. And rightfully so, no one wants to waste their time.

Joe - If Y4L gets enough good images (and it sounds like he is doing a great job on this), I'd be willing to help out with loading screens, menu screens, stadium select screens, etc. I've done plenty of these over the years with my TC single season mods.

everyone makng good points, but i dont care if there is some fair charge assuming what the charge is is for is a good product, ie a grate mod or sets of mods. if its uniforms is an issue and we you guys your going to this project i might have time to put to some uniforms. at least enough to get homes and roads done. it takes a incrible amount of time to make large ets worth doing. one set depending on the team and what modifactions to the uniforms would be need can take anywhere from a day to three days to do. i'd work on the poject if i know were really doing this for and knows the uniforms wont get wasted in all of these. my view anyway

Even now, 5 years after MVP was released, it's still, in conjunction with the mods (including rosters and utilities) and external utilities, still the best baseball sim on the planet.

I agree with everything you said except this statement. I believe it's more correct to state: "still the best baseball video-sim on the planet."

My reasoning behind this is that there are a handful of text-sim baseball games that are light years ahead of MVP. OOTP, DMB, even APBA and ReplayGames make more accurate simulations of baseball.

I understand that text-sim baseball is definitely not for everyone. Personally, I enjoy both.

So, just wanted to add that. You may not want to acknowledge and/or believe my fix to your statement and reasons behind it (many videogamers who have never tried a text-sim vehemently deny it) but I would challenge anybody that hasn't tried a text-sim game (one of the better ones, obviously) to give it a whirl. Yeah, it's more "boring" compared to a video game but my argument is that it is a better simulation, not more boring, than video baseball.

I haven't read the rest of the thread (I'm about to . . . I just wanted to comment on this before I forgot :wacko: ) and I'm looking forward to whatever else was posted.

Oh, for those who can't read long paragraphs: my post was about text-sim baseball is better than video game baseball.

(for those who have continued to read well-thought out paragraphs, that statement was a run on some posts I've read about people giving up because a paragraph was too long to read. Cracked me up! I saw Mark and some other guys did too a few weeks ago.)

edit: okay, I read through the thread. I'm glad that this project has picked up steam as I thought it might day after reading the first 20 or so posts.

I've done editing with the jukebox before but that's been it. MarkB or Y4L already claimed it and I'm sure their taste in music would be better than mine (when I did my version for myself, I just put old baseball tunes in. That was good enough for me.) I'm sure most guys wouldn't want the stuff I'd put in; they'd probably prefer hard rock, etc. I have no problem with hard rock, etc. of course, it's just my CD/mp3 collection just doesn't have a lot of that stuff.

Load screens, player audio, and minor things like that are about all I can do (other than packaging it together)... Problem is, many others can do those simple things as well... I have not read through the entire thread, but my feeling has always been, once the new stadiums stopped (modeled ones), that's when the demand started to fade. Find that, and it goes back up.

i take that back. i decided to go look. between the initial splash screen, the bkgnds.big, the loading screens, the license.big, the 58bd.fsh, the splash.fsh...there's 169 you can change. there's one more that you can change but i forget where it's located.

I'd like to thank Homer for this valuable information because it gave me a set goal to reach in looking through the photos that I have. So after reading this my goal was to reach 170 different screens that can be changed in a mod. I reached that number with ease but I also decided to exceed that number because I want the person who is going to convert these photos to have a choice in which photos they decide goes in and what photo doesn't make it for one reason or another.

I ended up with 610 hi-resolution photos for you guys to choose from. I'm giving you a lot of choices because I had a lot of photos.

I am going to zip up this file and upload it and I will be mailing a link to people like JoeRudi, Homer, Trues, etc, etc who are involved in this. If you would like this file let me know and I will see what I can do.

I dont know which version of MVP you guys are talking about modding, I only have 2003. quite honestly, after buying that, i've never seen a baseball game (graphics withstanding) that i thought was better from a gameplay and just fun, relaxing, brainless entertainment. I know the two things 2003 doesn't have that would make it perfect are where it keeps more than the prior years stats, as well as updated rosters. To steal a classic line, "if you build it they will come". I think the mvp downloads are in the dozens rather than hundreds per month is because, well at least for the 2003 version, there hasn't been a new roster i can find created in like 3-4 years (it has pedroia as very crappy, very young, and low star power so he barely improves, i know that). Actually Yankee and a few other folks found it haha.

I do think putting a price on it would definitely keep this worthwhile mod from being downloaded, seems like that goes against what i thought was the sense of modding, where you get paid in people's gratitude rather than cash money.

I dont know if 2003 used the same file formats (looks like all csv files to me) as all the other MVPs and this would benefit me, or if i'm just the king of wishful thinking.

Sadly, I dont have any programming skills, so even though i'd offer to help, other than giving the file formats from 2003 I dont know how much help i would be honestly.

EA makes solid stuff, it would be great if it had updated rosters. I dont have a job, have an old computer, so 2003 plays like a gem. if i bought anything new, i cant even imagine how not great it work.

Just another guys 2 cents....

Quick little idea here.

When you go labeling things, don't put "MVP 11." Instead, put something like "MVP Baseball" That way you can use whatever you label year after year. Examples:

Or if the people putting in the brunt of the work thinking they will continue this every year, might be nifty to throw a year in there, so you know which revision of the mod it is. not that i can think of a reason why anyone would go back to a previous years lol

I dont know which version of MVP you guys are talking about modding, I only have 2003. quite honestly, after buying that, i've never seen a baseball game (graphics withstanding) that i thought was better from a gameplay and just fun, relaxing, brainless entertainment. I know the two things 2003 doesn't have that would make it perfect are where it keeps more than the prior years stats, as well as updated rosters. To steal a classic line, "if you build it they will come". I think the mvp downloads are in the dozens rather than hundreds per month is because, well at least for the 2003 version, there hasn't been a new roster i can find created in like 3-4 years (it has pedroia as very crappy, very young, and low star power so he barely improves, i know that). Actually Yankee and a few other folks found it haha.

I do think putting a price on it would definitely keep this worthwhile mod from being downloaded, seems like that goes against what i thought was the sense of modding, where you get paid in people's gratitude rather than cash money.

I dont know if 2003 used the same file formats (looks like all csv files to me) as all the other MVPs and this would benefit me, or if i'm just the king of wishful thinking.

Sadly, I dont have any programming skills, so even though i'd offer to help, other than giving the file formats from 2003 I dont know how much help i would be honestly.

EA makes solid stuff, it would be great if it had updated rosters. I dont have a job, have an old computer, so 2003 plays like a gem. if i bought anything new, i cant even imagine how not great it work.

Just another guys 2 cents....

This is for MVP 2005. Rosters are not easily converted because there are not as many minor league teams in 03. I'm pretty sure it has to be done from scratch. Uniforms and cyberfaces, however can be used. Again, you should contact piratesmvp04 to see how he did things. Keep in mind that people are not going to make things for you if they don't even have the same game as you.

This is for MVP 2005. Rosters are not easily converted because there are not as many minor league teams in 03. I'm pretty sure it has to be done from scratch. Uniforms and cyberfaces, however can be used. Again, you should contact piratesmvp04 to see how he did things. Keep in mind that people are not going to make things for you if they don't even have the same game as you.

Oh I understand that. Seems like the 05 files format you made are somewhat similar to 03's. Maybe I can somehow use them to do something for 03. I dont know how to do the uni's and faces though, will have to look on here for that stuff.

• 1 month later...

I have been thinking about this thread for the past few days and just have not had the time to come in here and post. I am just wondering if this project here is on hiatus because of one reason or another (which is fine) or if there are some plans on renewing this once the baseball post season is done. (If that's the case then I didn't know this.)

Or, has everyone moved on from this to other things? I really would hope not because was a great idea by JoeRudi26. I spent a few hours going through all my photo galleries trying to get the best ones for this to make it look as good as possible. I collected 600 photos for this and if I wasted my time by doing this, then what can I do? But I just want everyone to know that in case anything comes up again in here I am not about to volunteer my valuable time for something that may not end up going anywhere.

I must have missed this because it was created at the time when i had no internet but i would be interested and i would also give a helping hand where i can, if it's required.

Assuming that this will be picked up again like Y4L mentioned.

I have an elibrary account so I could get tons of high resolution photos. I may fire up zmod again if this this ever lifted off.

Archived