Recommended Installation Guide For MVP Baseball

Kccitystar

I've tried virtual box and it doesn't do the job.  Don't waste  your time. 

There's versions of XP or 7 on sale on Amazon and Ebay (as well as through your local Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace all the time).  I'm not sure but I don't think you have to worry about registering it any longer because M$ doesn't support it any longer.  You wouldn't be using it as an actual full operating system, so a pre-owned copy may be just fine.  A quick look on Ebay found this:

Pre-owned for $10:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/254994066842?epid=127777753&hash=item3b5ed4ad9a:g:1xoAAOSw3d1grqBw

New for $15 (auction):  https://www.ebay.com/itm/304013829483?hash=item46c8a2e56b%3Ag%3A5X8AAOSwO0FgqEoG&LH_ItemCondition=1000

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding is if you do not register Windows XP the software stops working after 30 days. I paid a lot of money for this game in hopes of being able to tweak it like I did NBA Live99 and NHL 2k through 2002 and FIFA 2000 and 2005 and they all work in windows 10 because folks at NGlide figured how to make them work. So, I will wait until someone comes up with a better solution. Thanks for the help.

7 minutes ago, cf55 said:

My understanding is if you do not register Windows XP the software stops working after 30 days. I paid a lot of money for this game in hopes of being able to tweak it like I did NBA Live99 and NHL 2k through 2002 and FIFA 2000 and 2005 and they all work in windows 10 because folks at NGlide figured how to make them work. So, I will wait until someone comes up with a better solution. Thanks for the help.

I didn’t know that about Windows XP even after all this time.

How much did you have to pay for Mvp 2005? And when you get it to work you can and will tweak it to your heart’s content. One look in the downloads should explain to you what I mean.

You were given help about this issue and I’m sorry it is not up to par for you. Maybe you can ask the kind people at NGlide to help you. But keep in mind: no one knows more about Mvp ‘05 than the people on this website.

$80 for a pristine copy with both disks and manual in the original box. So, somewhere along the way it will work. Heck if my old Tony2 and 3 games work in Windows10 this game can as well. Again if any one figures this out let me know or if I do I will let all of you know.

3 hours ago, cf55 said:

$80 for a pristine copy with both disks and manual in the original box. So, somewhere along the way it will work. Heck if my old Tony2 and 3 games work in Windows10 this game can as well. Again if any one figures this out let me know or if I do I will let all of you know.

Have you looked at the Windows 10 thread?  People have been trying for years to get the game to work on Windows 10 without much luck. If you are waiting for someone to find a solution, unfortunately you are going to be waiting for quite a while. 

I don't think that's true about XP at all.  These are the suggestions we have for you, so if you hold out, you'll probably just continue to have to make due or stay frustrated instead of working one of the known good options.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the game to work in Windows 7 what a blast I love this game.

That said I downloaded some of the great work like MVP Total 1927 season and 1915, 1948, 1956. In these games when you play in dynasty mode the standings league alignments are 4 divisions of sometimes one or two teams in a division. Kind of goofy. Now if you open the MBE file using Access instead of the MVPedit you can change the Divisional alignments. Of course then the game crashes. Anyone out there figure out a way to have normal or historic league alignment?

3 hours ago, cf55 said:

I got the game to work in Windows 7 what a blast I love this game.

That said I downloaded some of the great work like MVP Total 1927 season and 1915, 1948, 1956. In these games when you play in dynasty mode the standings league alignments are 4 divisions of sometimes one or two teams in a division. Kind of goofy. Now if you open the MBE file using Access instead of the MVPedit you can change the Divisional alignments. Of course then the game crashes. Anyone out there figure out a way to have normal or historic league alignment?

The game requires 2 leagues with 3 divisions per league. There is no way to get around this.  Each division has to contain a minimum of two teams. For many of the TC mods we put the two teams with the worst records in each league in one of the divisions. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am going crazy trying to get this game to work, but to no avail.

Here's my story:

Bought the PC game back in 2006 or so, and enjoyed it for many years. Tried playing it a number of years ago on Windows 8, and like most people, couldn't get it to work. About a month ago, I got the itch to play it again. Dug it out, tried it on my current Windows 10, and of course, no dice. 

Started doing research on using a Virtual Machine. Installed Virtual Machine to run Windows 7. Tried installing MVP 05. Disc 1 installed just fine. Disc 2 kept hanging up at 53%. Tried and tried, no go. I figured maybe it was a problem inside the Virtual Machine with Windows 7. I've read how some people have success with XP so I installed XP inside Virtual Machine. Tried installing on XP. Again, Disc 1 was great, Disc 2...hung up at 53%.

So, on Windows 10, I researched how to create an ISO file of a disc. Created an ISO file of Disc 1 and that worked. Tried to create an ISO file of Disc 2...still no dice.

So now I figured it was a bad disc. Disc really didn't look too bad for being so old, just a few minor scracthes, but I cleaned it anyways. Did the toothpaste trick, all that stuff. Tried to create an ISO file...nope. So now I'm thinking I guess Disc 2 is beyond repair.

I was determined to not let this game defeat me. So I bit the bullet and ordered another copy of it on Ebay. Actually was the only PC version on there. $50. (I don't know what I spent on it back at Circuit City in 2006, but probably $30 or $40 I'm guessing, so now I've got about $90 invested in this game. Whatever, it's worth it.)

Got the game in the mail today. Fired up Virtual Machine Windows XP and got both discs to install! Great! 

But when I choose "play" it kept saying "please insert the correct DVD-Rom select Ok and restart the application".

I tried Disc 1, Disc 2...no go on either one of them. Unbelievable. No matter what disc I put in, it kept saying "please insert the correct DVD-Rom,etc."

So I went back to Windows 10 to try and finish making new ISO files of the "new" discs that I bought.

Maybe move the ISO files to the Virtual Machine XP and see if I could run the games that way.

When creating the ISO files, Disc 1 worked just fine. Disc 2...no dice. What the crap! 

So now I really don't know what to do. It should NOT be this dang hard to play a 15 year old PC game.

Do I really have TWO bad Disc 2s? That seems kind of hard to believe. I mean, it appeared to install the game just fine from both Disc 1 & 2 initially. 

I will take any advice you guys can give to help me get this game going. Do I need to just buy some old computer to run XP or Windows 7? Is there something else I need to do inside Virtual Machine to get it going? I'm all ears and grateful for any help.

You can try reading through the Windows 10 support thread, but there is no guarantee that any of the suggested solutions will work for you. As others have reported, what works for one person doesn’t work for everyone. 

Your best bet for getting the game to work is an older PC running Windows XP (ideally) or Windows 7.  I have an old Windows XP PC that I only use for MVP2005 (with multiple installations for Total Classics mods) and High Heat 2004. It’s not connected to the Internet and I don’t have any other applications loaded on it, including antivirus  software, so when I play, the game runs very smoothly. 

16 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

There is a Windows 10 thread here that can be of a lot of assistance to you.

I scoured that thread all night, worked all the troubleshooting and methods, and finally found a solution that ended up working for me. Thank you!! Was even able to get Total Classics 1988 installed as well. All is right in my life again. 

3 hours ago, Jim825 said:

You can try reading through the Windows 10 support thread, but there is no guarantee that any of the suggested solutions will work for you. As others have reported, what works for one person doesn’t work for everyone. 

Your best bet for getting the game to work is an older PC running Windows XP (ideally) or Windows 7.  I have an old Windows XP PC that I only use for MVP2005 (with multiple installations for Total Classics mods) and High Heat 2004. It’s not connected to the Internet and I don’t have any other applications loaded on it, including antivirus  software, so when I play, the game runs very smoothly. 

I may end up doing this as well, as it seems like a good way to keep the game running indefinitely (or, as long as the computer holds out.) 

Thanks again, guys.

19 minutes ago, dshay7 said:

I scoured that thread all night, worked all the troubleshooting and methods, and finally found a solution that ended up working for me. Thank you!! Was even able to get Total Classics 1988 installed as well. All is right in my life again. 

So, do you care to mention what that might be so that it might help others who didn't consider something?

23 minutes ago, dshay7 said:

I may end up doing this as well, as it seems like a good way to keep the game running indefinitely (or, as long as the computer holds out.) 

Thanks again, guys.

Great to hear you got it working. As Gordo mentioned, please report what you did to get it to run. 

4 hours ago, Jim825 said:

Great to hear you got it working. As Gordo mentioned, please report what you did to get it to run. 

I'd kind of rather not share what worked for me, but since you guys are asking, I'll be honest.

After going through the entire thread, the only legitimate thing I hadn't attemped was the SecDrv.sys file. Found some tutorials that explained it very thoroughly and gave it a shot. It didn't work. 

So, I gave up and tried the method that shall not be spoken of here.

Worked like a freaking charm. I couldn't believe it. Nearly brought me to tears.

Now, I've never used anything like that on a game EVER. Every PC game I've ever played I've either purchased via discs or Steam. So there was a part of me that was like "I kind of feel bad for using this "thing that shall not be spoken of." But then I remembered....I've purchased this freaking game TWICE now. I ought to be able to play it. So my guilt subsided. 

So, there you go. I don't want to be banned but you guys asked, and I'm an honest person, so...

2 hours ago, dshay7 said:

So, there you go. I don't want to be banned but you guys asked, and I'm an honest person, so...

I had a feeling you were talking about that and you are fine. Don't worry about anything happening like a banning. Forget that. It's not like you came running in here and said "go there and there and get this and then this is how you do it. " Keeping it out of the forum is very important so thank you for that.

Now, go enjoy your game!

20 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

I had a feeling you were talking about that and you are fine. Don't worry about anything happening like a banning. Forget that. It's not like you came running in here and said "go there and there and get this and then this is how you do it. " Keeping it out of the forum is very important so thank you for that.

Now, go enjoy your game!

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the help and for running such a great forum! 

Archived