Official Yankee fan thread

Yankee4Life

And now the Texas Rangers with a 55 - 94 record come into town. Already I am worried. Texas is going to look like a first place team when the Yankees get done with them. 😧

Also before I forget here is some more words of wisdom and comfort from Aaron Boone.

“We’ve got to do better than this. That’s an awful couple of days out there,” Aaron Boone said. “We’ve got to get better in a hurry.”

Really? No kidding. Who knew???

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Ritchie said:

now I can root for my Vikings. May not go anywhere, either, but at least when they lose I am not down.

I’m a  long time Vikings fan as well (starting in the early 1970’s). Once again, they lose because of a missed game ending field goal.  

I used to refer to them as “the Red Sox of the NFL” because they always seem to find a way to lose when it matters the most and can never win the big game.  That all changed in 2004 when the Red Sox won the World Series. :sad:

1 hour ago, Yankee4Life said:

Didn't they go 15 - 1 one year Jim?

Yup, 1998. In the NFC Championship game the Vikings were leading the Falcons by 7 points with a little over 2 minutes to go in the game.  Gary Anderson, who had not missed a field goal in 2 years(!), lined up for a 39 yard field goal to push the lead to 10 points. It would have pretty much sealed the win for them, but the kick went wide right by about a foot. 

The Falcons tied up the game with less than a minute left in regulation (after the Vikings dropped an interception) and the game went to OT where the Falcons won on a field goal.

The Falcons went on to lose the Super Bowl to Denver 34-19.  Had they made it to the Super Bowl, I believe the Vikings would have won. 

Fast forward to 2016 when the Vikings played the Seahawks in an NFC Divisional playoff game in Minnesota. Because their new stadium was being built, the Vikings played outdoors at the University of Minnesota stadium for two years. The temperature at the start of the game was -9 degrees with a windchill of -25 degrees.  Legendary Vikings’ head coach Bud Grant came out for the coin toss in a Vikings cap and short sleeved polo shirt. :)

With 22 seconds left in the game, trailing 10-9, the Vikings lined up for a 27 yard field goal, but you guessed it — the kick was wide left and they lost the game. :facepalm:

I have said many times that I would gladly trade one or two of the Yankees World Series championships I’ve witnessed in my life for one Vikings Super Bowl victory. 

30 minutes ago, Jim825 said:

I have said many times that I would gladly trade one or two of the Yankees World Series championships I’ve witnessed in my life for one Vikings Super Bowl victory. 

All I can say is thank God that can't happen.

I would say be an Oakland fan but they haven't won since the 1983 season. It's been just as bad.

26 minutes ago, Yankee4Life said:

All I can say is thank God that can't happen.

I would say be an Oakland fan but they haven't won since the 1983 season. It's been just as bad.

Not really a valid comparison. The Raiders have been to the Super Bowl 3 times and they  won each time. The Vikings have been to 4 Super Bowls (the last time in 1977) and have lost all 4. 

@Yankee4Life and @Jim825 I became a Vikings (the Purple Gang)  fan early 70s and remember well the playoff game vs Falcons and the Anderson missed FG but was at work at the time so I did not see it and that hurt for sometime as well as the 4 SB losses. Also when Bud Grant did the coin toss.  I, also, would trade a WS victory for any of those SB losses.  PS. before a Vikings fan, I was a Jets fan in the 60s.

1 hour ago, Yankee4Life said:

No, they were there five times. They lost to Green Bay and Tampa Bay.

Oops, you’re right. :facepalm:  When I Googled the Raiders’ Super Bowl appearances, the link I clicked on brought up a site that only listed their wins. 

55 minutes ago, Ritchie said:

@Yankee4Life and @Jim825 I became a Vikings (the Purple Gang)  fan early 70s and remember well the playoff game vs Falcons and the Anderson missed FG but was at work at the time so I did not see it and that hurt for sometime as well as the 4 SB losses. Also when Bud Grant did the coin toss.  I, also, would trade a WS victory for any of those SB losses.  PS. before a Vikings fan, I was a Jets fan in the 60s.

That loss in 1998 hit me hard and it took me a few days to get over it. I had never had that happen before (or since). 

First of I have to say that this Youtube video was NOT made by me. But I do agree with everything the guy said.

Also, isn't it funny that everything seems to be forgiven with Sanchez just because he hit a homerun last night? And did you see what Kansas City, an under .500 team did to Cleveland last night? They swept a doubleheader against the Indians while the Yankees over the weekend made this addition of the Indians look like their 1954 ballclub.

And here you go Jim. All this Viking talk made me think of one of their best receivers that I have ever seen, John Gilliam.

1188825604_JohnGilliamMinnesotaVikings.thumb.jpg.ee1b0e4b8461a44f794659ea34c57c55.jpg

"What the heck are you talking about? Every time Sanchez puts on the catching gear he scares me. He's going to pull something this weekend I can feel it."

I was being sarcastic about John's calling on Sanchez HR last night listening to the game on radio. I know how much you have no love for him. at least he will not be catching tonight, if the rain holds.

Edited by Ritchie

Okay Yankees fans. They NEED to sweep the Sox. 2 out of 3 won't do. 

And recently losing 2 games to the Indians, 2 to the O's, 2 to the Mets, etc. Etc. Etc have cost the top WC.

And look at the Rays, low payroll team taking 2  straight division titles. No need for big $$$ players. Take hint, Ca$hman. 

2 hours ago, Ritchie said:

Okay Yankees fans. They NEED to sweep the Sox. 2 out of 3 won't do. 

And recently losing 2 games to the Indians, 2 to the O's, 2 to the Mets, etc. Etc. Etc have cost the top WC.

And look at the Rays, low payroll team taking 2  straight division titles. No need for big $$$ players. Take hint, Ca$hman. 

I agree. They need as much as they can and since I am not filled with confidence I am expecting nothing.

And the Rays DESERVED TO WIN. They played better and that is all there was to it. I remember when this team used to play better. Cashman will never take the hint in avoiding the big money players. He is going to make the same mistake this winter.

Nice win last night. Let’s hope the momentum continues (and that the Sox put those yellow uniforms away!).  It was nice to see the Yankees take an early lead. It took pressure off of Cole. 

Even better was the Twins beating the Blue Jays for the second straight night to put more distance between them and the Yankees in the wild card race.