MLB Street : MVP Baseball 2005

MrSlamm3r

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is a question I have. If we want to not have the helmets when the guys are batting, and just have hats, do we have to use a "retro" jersey file? The reason I ask is I assume in the uniform files, the "helmet" texture is designed have earflaps no matter what. I imagine I could put a picture of a duck in the helmet file, and the duck would wrap around the guys' heads and have earflaps.

Is this a correct assumption?

i believe you would be correct on that assumption. though i haven't tried it yet, you can test a theory by just creating an alpha image for the entire helmet and see what it does. if i'm guessing right, you should just get no helmet. there may be a chance that the hat is underneath the helmet and would show up. but it's a long shot.

i believe you would be correct on that assumption. though i haven't tried it yet, you can test a theory by just creating an alpha image for the entire helmet and see what it does. if i'm guessing right, you should just get no helmet. there may be a chance that the hat is underneath the helmet and would show up. but it's a long shot.

I'll give it a try tonight. I will post a pic of whatever it looks like, because it will either be the hat (which would RULE) or it would be a guy with no back to his head and no ears (which would be funny) :mrgreen:

SO I have been playing with oedit, and while I am not ready yet to make my own park, I do have a question.

I wanted to make a park similar to the one I drew on page 2 of this thread:

sandlotvt3.jpg

The park I would like make for the game would be exactly like that except I'd get rid of the cones from that pic and just have center field end at a parking lot. Back when we used to play in different fields in my neighborhood, we had a field kinda like that, and if the ball hit the parking lot on a fly, it was a home run, no matter how close to the ground the ball was when it hit the pavement. I know I could make an invisible wall, but I wanted to make a REALLY small wall to kind of recreate that. Is that possible, and is it a good idea? The only problem I could see would be alot of Ground Rule Doubles. The distance would be 430 or better to the lot in my park.

Edited because I was rushed the first time I typed it, and it did not pose the question.

Well, chainlink wouldn't work, because it is supposed to look like there is no wall there. What I was hoping for was to have a point about 430-450 feet away in center field where the game would count it as a home run, but there would be no wall. I'll explain again, because that last post of mine was written while I was at work, and isn't really clear.

I was wanting to make it like a field we played at in my neighborhood where the left field ended at a parking lot. Whe had a rule that if the ball hit the pavement it was a home run, even if it was one inch off the ground when it got to the pavement.

I was wanting to incorperate that "rule" into the center field of the park I have drawn above. Which would mean a small wall, which in turn, I think would cause alot of ground rule doubles with balls that land just shy of the wall. BTW, the cones on my picture above would not be there in this park.

I know that an invisible wall would be easy, once I figure out the wall.dat stuff, because I wouldn't even need a wall texture there, I could just have the collision data.

I guess my question is, is it a good idea?

i wouldnt think it would be a good idea but thats my opinion. is their anyway to make a park with outfield walls that are really tall buildings so homeruns are difficult

Oh yeah, that can be done, and Sean O says it would be the easiest kind of park to do.

I guiess I was just wanting to relive my youth with that park... :laff: I may give it a shot still, just to see how well it works. First thing's first, we need real parks.

I'll give it a try tonight. I will post a pic of whatever it looks like, because it will either be the hat (which would RULE) or it would be a guy with no back to his head and no ears (which would be funny) :mrgreen:

Well, I must have done it wrong. I ended up with white helmets. As good as I think I am in Photoshop, alpha layers I am not so good with. Here is what I did.

Since I was going to mask the whole thing, I went "Select All" then masked the entire palate (not just a selection of the layer). Is this where I went wrong?

i think you probably didn't edit the index file right. here's what happened when i did it. turns out that the shadow under the bill stays and the mlb logo on the back. not sure why though. but whatever.

so it looks like your original idea was the best, you'll probably have to use the classic uni slots in order just to get the hats. unless you want to mess with making an alpha that blacks out the flaps to make it look like a hat. but the problem with that is you will still have the shiney appearance of the helmet.

^^that's funny

as for the stadium with little or no wall in center....

you could easily do it visually, physically is the main problem.

getting rid of a wall or raising it to 200 feet is reasonably simple to do, but getting the game to recognize it is harder.

a while back I was trying to get into stadium modding, and I had removed a wall in center field in one of the AAA stadiums, I finally got the game to recognize it, but problem was that if it was a scorching grounder that rolled all the way to the wall, once it hit the point where the wall used to be, it was considered a home run. so there were a lot of "on the roll" homers.

What I think you would have to do is to visually get rid of the wall just by moving verticies in OEdit, and then in wall.dat you'd have to lower the wall all the way down, but instead of putting it at 0, put it at like 1.0 for the z verticy(sp?) that way the game shows no wall, but the game recognizes that there is a tiny tiny wall there.

This also brings about another problem though, b/c any "scorching grounders" into center would be magically stopped by the invisible tiny tiny wall. So it would play like you are thinking, but it would look funny with the fast ground balls.

Personally I think it would be easier/better to have a wall there visually, or something representing the wall. but that's just my 2 cents.

EDIT: Homer, your signature has just inspired me to try something of possibly great proportions. I'll probably need a ton of help with it, but I'll get a running start on it, and post back here to see what you guys think.

EDIT: Homer, your signature has just inspired me to try something of possibly great proportions. I'll probably need a ton of help with it, but I'll get a running start on it, and post back here to see what you guys think.

you're not gonna put on tights and swing from skyscrapers with a rope are you? if you are, count me out! otherwise you have me interested.

^^that's funny

as for the stadium with little or no wall in center....

you could easily do it visually, physically is the main problem.

getting rid of a wall or raising it to 200 feet is reasonably simple to do, but getting the game to recognize it is harder.

a while back I was trying to get into stadium modding, and I had removed a wall in center field in one of the AAA stadiums, I finally got the game to recognize it, but problem was that if it was a scorching grounder that rolled all the way to the wall, once it hit the point where the wall used to be, it was considered a home run. so there were a lot of "on the roll" homers.

What I think you would have to do is to visually get rid of the wall just by moving verticies in OEdit, and then in wall.dat you'd have to lower the wall all the way down, but instead of putting it at 0, put it at like 1.0 for the z verticy(sp?) that way the game shows no wall, but the game recognizes that there is a tiny tiny wall there.

This also brings about another problem though, b/c any "scorching grounders" into center would be magically stopped by the invisible tiny tiny wall. So it would play like you are thinking, but it would look funny with the fast ground balls.

Actually, in my second post about that park, that's what I said I was gonna try for...lol. I bet you were responding to my rambling, incoharent, done-while-working post... :cool: What kind of fence would you put in that kind of center field though? And again, I was wanting to put the center field WAAAY back (430 ft minimum) so I bet most scorched grounders would not even get to the invisiwall...I was more woried about long flys that fall just short of the small invisiwall and bounce over.

Homer, with your deal, couldn't we just tell people to play w/o helmet reflection on, then do your alpha ear flap deal?

Actually, in my second post about that park, that's what I said I was gonna try for...lol. I bet you were responding to my rambling, incoharent, done-while-working post... :cool: What kind of fence would you put in that kind of center field though? And again, I was wanting to put the center field WAAAY back (430 ft minimum) so I bet most scorched grounders would not even get to the invisiwall...I was more woried about long flys that fall just short of the small invisiwall and bounce over.

Homer, with your deal, couldn't we just tell people to play w/o helmet reflection on, then do your alpha ear flap deal?

I didn't have any fence at all, what I did was remove the wall visually, and then remove it in wall.dat, so it was kind of like a wall was never there, just open space, it's just something I was doing while messing around with rhino points, and wall.dat and all that stuff.

also....homer...

i was trying to actually make a cyber face for spiderman and have him in the game, but it didn't quite work out.

• 3 months later...

Archived