Total Conversion Mods

Yankee4Life

Negro League Mod Continued

Buckeye pitcher Lefty Boone warms up in the bullpen in front of a packed Hilldale crowd.

Cleveland slowly begins to rally. After Hilldale made the score 9 - 3, the Buckeyes start their comeback with a double by the Cleveland first baseman. This is him scoring on a single by Sam Jethroe. The throw home was late and score is now 9 - 4.

Going into the top of the 8th, it is 9 - 4 Hilldale.

Sam Jethroe has just hit a two run inside the park home run to cut the Hilldale lead to 9 - 6. The center field area at Hilldale Park is so deep that you can put a picnic area there, but Jethroe managed to reach it and he scampered around the bases for his home run.

Hilldale's relief corps were not that good today. Take this last guy that was out there for him, some guy named Pritchett. He pitched two innings, gave up seven hits, four runs (all earned) including two home runs. The first home run was by Jethroe. The next, one batter later that cut the score to 9 - 7.

Negro League Mod Continued, final image

But it was too much, too little and too late for the Buckeyes as they could get no closer in this game and they lost 9 - 7 to Hilldale. Here is the final play of the game, a grounder to the first baseman and a flip to the pitcher covering. 3 - 1 if you are scoring at home. Game over. Thank you Dennis James.

Hey there Y4L,

It’s good to see you back and I thank you very much for providing this outstanding review of my project. It’s great to know that people you who appreciate the history of baseball and history in general have been able to readily pick out subtle parts of this mod such as the music, the bat and ball, and the crowd that enhances the experience for you. I have to admit that even though I’ve been an avid fan of the Negro Leagues for many years, I soon discovered that I didn’t know as much as I thought before I began work on this mod. The John Holloway book was a tremendous source of history and statistics just for starters.

I’m glad that you enjoyed the very colorful nicknames of these great players. Even though I had the information as far as their real first names; I wanted to maintain the player’s nicknames in the mod to give it that special vibe. While doing the painstaking roster work on this mod, my 2 favorite nicknames I stumbled upon were Leonard “Fatty” Pigg and a pitcher named Beans Salmon (sounds like a heartburn inducing meal).

I was very driven to finally get this mod completed because I contend that there will never be anything as unique in sports like the Negro Leagues were in the heydays of the 1920s-1940s. Not only because historically it was definitely a different kind of game; but it also includes the racial dynamics of the era where these men, excluded from the Major Leagues, went out and established an equal quality product of baseball in America. As I mentioned before, this is a nod of admiration and respect for this great league.

Thanks so much for your detailed review and taking the time to outline and enjoy this game. I figured you would be one of the top fans for this mod, for sure.

Dennis

Hey there Y4L,

It’s good to see you back and I thank you very much for providing this outstanding review of my project. It’s great to know that people you who appreciate the history of baseball and history in general have been able to readily pick out subtle parts of this mod such as the music, the bat and ball, and the crowd that enhances the experience for you. I have to admit that even though I’ve been an avid fan of the Negro Leagues for many years, I soon discovered that I didn’t know as much as I thought before I began work on this mod. The John Holloway book was a tremendous source of history and statistics just for starters.

It was an pleasure to play this mod. You did an phenomenal job creating this mod. And I think I may check out this John Holloway book as soon as I finish a series of books I am reading.

I’m glad that you enjoyed the very colorful nicknames of these great players. Even though I had the information as far as their real first names; I wanted to maintain the player’s nicknames in the mod to give it that special vibe. While doing the painstaking roster work on this mod, my 2 favorite nicknames I stumbled upon were Leonard “Fatty” Pigg and a pitcher named Beans Salmon (sounds like a heartburn inducing meal).

I'm glad you used the nicknames in the mod You know, it occurred to me that most of these guys, and I'd guess over 97% of them were known only by their nickname. We all know that Cool Papa Bell's name was James, but everyone called him Cool Papa. About the only guys I can recall right now that didn't have nicknames (that I know of) were Oscar Charleston and Josh Gibson. The nicknames really added to the mod.

I was very driven to finally get this mod completed because I contend that there will never be anything as unique in sports like the Negro Leagues were in the heydays of the 1920s-1940s. Not only because historically it was definitely a different kind of game; but it also includes the racial dynamics of the era where these men, excluded from the Major Leagues, went out and established an equal quality product of baseball in America. As I mentioned before, this is a nod of admiration and respect for this great league.

Yes it was. They played some pretty good ball in this league.

Thanks so much for your detailed review and taking the time to outline and enjoy this game. I figured you would be one of the top fans for this mod, for sure.

Don't thank me Dennis. I just wrote the truth. You and everyone that helped you deserve the credit.

• 4 weeks later...

The next mod reviewed in here is Mvp Caribe 2011 from that extremely talented group of modders over at Mvp Caribe. 

First before we get started I should go over a few things before you go over there to download this mod. You must be a member of Mvp Caribe to download the mod and anything else over there. Registration is quick and painless and you'll be downloading before you know it. Secondly, I have to report a problem that is currently affecting the Caribe website. If you are using Mozilla Firefox, you can not download this mod. Right now there is a problem with Firefox and their website and I was told by HFLR that they are aware of this problem and working to correct it. You can go there and look around and register there and post, but right now you can't download with Mozilla. Update: I just checked it again before I wrote this and the problem still exists.

You can however download the mod right now if you use Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Opera. No problems have been experienced with those browsers. Now that this bit of news is out of the way, the link to download Mvp Caribe 2011 is right here.

Please do not install this over an existing mod or a previously installed version of Mvp Caribe. When asked for the password during installation, type this in: www.mvpcaribe.com.

Do yourself a big favor and watch the entire Caribe 11 introduction that these guys made. It is impressive. They had someone by the name of Apolo Velez do a narration for them and while I did not understand anything he said, I did make out by the graphic that was posted that he was telling the people that since 2007, the Caribe series has had over 300,000 downloads and the website at Mvp Caribe.com over 31,000 registered users. I don't know who Apolo Velez is but he seemed pretty excited to be associated with Caribe 2011. Maybe Hector can come in here and tell us who this guy is.

The rest of the introduction video goes back and forth between game shots and actual Caribe game film. There is also a nice touch in middle that pay homage to Geremi Gonzalez and Jose Lima, two players who played in the Caribbean leagues that have died in recent years. This was a well put together start for this mod.

The music included in here is once again an essential part of this mod. From the moment you hear that first upbeat, rhythmic number you just know you are in a Caribe mod. The choice of jukebox music here is brilliant and the walk up music during the game is just as good.

The Caribe teams are well represented and there are a lot of throwback uniforms for each team, so there's a lot of choices to be had here.

Along with the standard teams there are four special teams. The Estrellas (from Venezuela and Puerto Rico), The Astros (from Mexico and the Dominican Republic), The Los Sin Oficio (a team made up of the creators of Mvp Caribe) and the Leyendes Latinas, which is a team made up of Latin All-Stars such as Juan Marichal, Luis Tiant, Rod Carew and Roberto Clemente, just to name a few.

The game that I played that is featured in here was between the Mayos de Navojoa (from Mexico) and the Tomateros de Culiacan (also from Mexico.) I was the Tomateros team and I lost 4 - 0. I hit the ball well off of the Mayos pitcher but it was one of those games when the line drives went right at somebody. It was a fast game and a fun game and I went away thinking that this was the best Mvp Caribe yet.

Video: The last out of the game, thanks to Ramiro Pena.

Screenshots

Welcome to Mvp Caribe 2011

01Caribe2011.jpg

The Tomateros had a rally going in the first but it was stopped cold due to this double play.

02Quickdp.jpg

The impressive looking Overlay for Caribe 2011.

03Caribe11Overlay.jpg

The Tomateros first baseman catches a line drive for an out but is not fast enough to tag out the Mayos baserunner, who makes it back safely to first.

04Getback.jpg

The Mayos de Navojoa get a lead off double in the fourth but are unable to score.

05Mayos2b.jpg

Mvp Caribe 2011 Continued

Tomateros pitcher Hector Rodriguez helps out his own cause with a leadoff single in the bottom of the fourth.

But then in the same inning he makes the first out of the inning by getting tagged out at third base. Pitcher Nick Singleton of the Mayos then retired the next two Tomateros to end the inning.

Ramiro Pena of the Yankees. If you examine the rosters of the Caribe teams you will find some major league players on them.

The Tomateros kept the pressure up all game against the Mayos. Here an opposite field single starts the fifth.

Another baserunning mistake proves costly to the Tomateros as the leadoff hitter in the sixth inning is out trying to stretch a single into a double.

Mvp Caribe 2011 Continued

Cecilio Garibaldi warms up for the Mayos de Navajoa in the late innings.

The beginning of the end for the Tomateros de Culiacan: this errant throw takes the first baseman off the bag during a botched double play attempt where all runners were safe.

And just like that you knew it would happen. A single up the middle scores the first run of the game here in the eighth inning. One more run would score in the inning.

Nick Singleton, the pitcher for the Mayos, lays down a perfect sacrifice bunt in the ninth inning that sparked the second two run inning in a row for the Mayos.

With runners on first and second, this force play at third was the only out the Tomateros could record. Both runners would eventually score on a two run double that gave the Mayos a 4 - 0 lead, which is how the game ended.

Awesome review Y4L, thanks for downloading the game. To get a full Caribe experience I suggest you to change the day/night settings when choosing stadiums since the ones with the text "En construccion" are Caribe stadiums that haven't been built but every team has at least the night or day version of its real stadium. Also, put the DH rule to both leagues, since Mexico/Dominican Republic are the National League teams they appear with the DH rule OFF, turning it ON will get you closer to the real deal. I'll tell the other modders to come here and check this review. Thanks again!

Also, Pat Venditte (the Yankees ambidextrous pitcher) is also featured before the intro where Apolo is. You can see it here: youtube.com/watch?v=-RB13_RPSRg I had to be the catcher for him to get this video done haha.

Apolo is a friend of mine that has a radio program here in Obregon and it's great talking to the camera, we went up to the place where the TV camera is placed for the Home plate view and filmed it during a game. The main purpose of the intro is to show people how MVP Caribe has grown in the past years years because this version conmemorates the 5th anniversary of MVP Caribe (February 12th 2007) and also to remember the plays that were important during that period of time, that's why you can see plenty of championships, walkoff homeruns, Jose Offerman beating an umpire, and more (link to the intro (spanish): youtube.com/watch?v=09wDq7Aj9ds

I'll upload a subtitled version soon :)

Awesome review Y4L, thanks for downloading the game. To get a full Caribe experience I suggest you to change the day/night settings when choosing stadiums since the ones with the text "En construccion" are Caribe stadiums that haven't been built but every team has at least the night or day version of its real stadium. Also, put the DH rule to both leagues, since Mexico/Dominican Republic are the National League teams they appear with the DH rule OFF, turning it ON will get you closer to the real deal. I'll tell the other modders to come here and check this review. Thanks again!

That's right. The night stadiums are the ones usually used in the Caribe series.Even though I used a day version one it still was not bad. And I'll do as you say with the tip about the DH rule. Thank you.

Apolo is a friend of mine that has a radio program here in Obregon and it's great talking to the camera, we went up to the place where the TV camera is placed for the Home plate view and filmed it during a game. The main purpose of the intro is to show people how MVP Caribe has grown in the past years years because this version conmemorates the 5th anniversary of MVP Caribe (February 12th 2007) and also to remember the plays that were important during that period of time, that's why you can see plenty of championships, walkoff homeruns, Jose Offerman beating an umpire, and more (link to the intro (spanish): youtube.com/watch?v=09wDq7Aj9ds

I'll upload a subtitled version soon :)

I think it's great that you are able to get people to get involved in the Caribe series like this. I can not imagine how popular this baseball series is down there. I'm glad that people down there have embraced it as well as they have.

And thanks for working on the subtitled version. By the two graphics that were put up I knew what he was talking about but the rest of it I was lost.

• 1 month later...

The next mod to be reviewed in this thread is the 1915 season mod by Dennis James. Anyone who is anyone on this website is familiar with Dennis and the kind of work he does, so if you see his name on a mod you can be assured that the mod is of the highest quality. With this 1915 mod it is obvious that he has accomplished this again.

You can download this mod right here. It installs very easy and includes the Legends of the Booth announcers that add that special touch to the game that only Vin Scully, Mel Allen and Ernie Harwell can provide.

Once you get the game installed and get into the game you will see that Dennis did a lot in it to give it that early 20th century feel. There are sixteen teams because that's all there were back then and there are correct uniforms and stadiums for each club. As a bonus there are three additional teams to explore. The AL and NL All Stars and the Chicago Whales, who were the champions of the Federal League, which only lasted a couple of years. One note about the All Star teams on here, there was no All Star Game in 1915. The first one was not until 1933. Dennis just got the best players from each league and formed the All Star teams with that. This way you get to play with the best of 1915 under one setting.

Also, you may wonder why every player has a zero ( 0 ) for a uniform number. That's because uniform numbers were not used permanently on uniforms until 1929 and Dennis was just being accurate here.

The loading screens were a pleasure to look at and I kind of wished my game wouldn't have loaded up so fast because they were impressive. And the music captures the time and period perfectly.

There's nothing flashy or overdone in this mod. The overlay is simple and unobtrusive. There's a nice touch with the song "Take me out to the Ballgame" played between innings. And Dennis in his description of the mod said that he removed the fireworks display when someone hits a home run. I thought that was the right thing to do because at that time when they hit a home run they ran around the bases and that was that.

There's only one thing that I caught when I first was looking around in the mod that can be corrected easily if this mod gets updated in the future. Some of the player attributes are off, and it is just a simple case of overlooking something, which I am surprised does not happen more often in the creation of these mods. Brooklyn's Zack Wheat is a left handed hitter. In this game he is listed as a switch hitter. Chick Gandil (yes, that Chick Gandil) is listed as a left handed hitter where in fact he hits right handed. The same for Philadelphia Athletics second baseman Nap Lajoie. Finally, Tris Speaker is listed as a right handed hitter and thrower when he actually was lefthanded in throwing and hitting. These roster miscues can be fixed and I am sure they will be if Dennis decides to update this mod like his description said he might. But let me tell you, this did not take away anything from the mod. I believe that if I never brought this up some people would never have known but from what I know of Dennis he is a perfectionist and he'd want to know this. It's not like the guy had some obvious errors in there like having the Boston Braves play in Turner Field.

To wrap it up, if you download this mod you won't regret it. And if you download it, thank Dennis or give him a nice rating. Saying thank you goes a long way.

Screenshots

Welcome to Total Classics 1915!

01TC1915.jpg

Starting pitcher for the visitors today is Babe Ruth. 1915 was Ruth's first full year in the majors and he went 18 - 8 for Boston.

02SPRuth.jpg

Philadelphia second baseman Napoleon Lajoie gives the Athletics an early 1 - 0 lead over the Sox with an RBI single. This lead did not last long.

03LajoieRBI.jpg

Athletics first baseman Stuffy McGinnis had his hands full with the throws from third baseman Rube Oldberg all day. This throw however he was able to pull down and record the out.

04Highthrow.jpg

But in the very same inning McGinnis was not as lucky as this errant throw from Oldberg sails past him for a three base error as Boston tied the score at 1 - 1.

05Threebserror.jpg

1915 continued

In a preview of what he was to accomplish in the 1920's, Babe Ruth takes Athletics pitcher Weldon Wyckoff (10 - 22 in 1915) deep to extend Boston's lead to 4 - 1.

Napoleon Lajoie, however great he was, was not a left handed hitter. This isn't pointed out here to say A-HA! to Dennis, but rather it is part of the mod and therefore is part of the mod review. What Dennis James does for Mvp along with Jim825 is nothing short of sensational.

The next time you hear someone say baseball is a game of inches, remember this image. Second baseman Heinie Wagner of the Red Sox has just hit an opposite field two run double to increase Boston's lead to 6 - 1. Wagner could not have placed that ball better even if he had laid it there by hand.

Stuffy McGinnis gets a run back for the Athletics with this RBI single in the fifth inning.

Overlay of the 1915 Total Conversion Mod. I especially like the picture of Joe Jackson included here.

1915 continued

Not surprisingly, Babe Ruth was in complete control the entire game even though he faced a Philadelphia team that went 43 - 109 in 1915.

The Athletics scored their fourth and final run in the seventh as Amos Strunk knocked home a pair of runs with an RBI single. By this time it was too little too late as the Red Sox had a 13 - 4 lead.

Coming into pitch for Philadelphia, Herb Pennock. Pennock's another Hall of Famer you will find on the rosters of this mod.

Stuffy McGinnis had a tough time at first base today although it was no fault of his. This here is the fourth error of the game by third baseman Rube Oldberg, who threw the ball as if he didn't know where first base was.

Heinie Wagner bothered the Athletics all day. He collected four hits, scored two runs, had three RBI and here with a stolen base.

1915 continued

Well, that's it. Boston manager Bill Carrigan yanks Ruth in the eighth as he started to tire out. With the Sox leading 15 - 5 he figured he didn't need to keep him out there.

Final play of the game. Stuffy McGinnis grounds out to the Red Sox third baseman who in turn does not make an error and throws him out. Red Sox win 15 - 5.

A happy bunch of Red Sox celebrate after they take care of the hometown Athletics today. Thank you Dennis James for the Total Classics 1915 mod.

Thanks so much for your detailed and 5-star quality review Y4L. I honestly want to also thank you for pointing out some of my minor, yet glaring roster-based errors in your PM last week. After I saw my Tris Speaker mess-up especially, I should almost have my Classic baseball Fan Card taken away. LOL! :crazy: But seriously I don't know how I made that error with the Willie Mays of the Dead-Ball era but as I mentioned in my PM, a lot of it had to do with burn-out at the end there. Forthcoming will be those changes as well as added player-audio for 80+ players, thanks to OTBJoel. I've working on re-assigning the audio Joel put together for me so that everyone can enjoy a nice Version 2.0 very soon. Thanks again Y4L.

Thanks so much for your detailed and 5-star quality review Y4L. I honestly want to also thank you for pointing out some of my minor, yet glaring roster-based errors in your PM last week. After I saw my Tris Speaker mess-up especially, I should almost have my Classic baseball Fan Card taken away. LOL! :crazy: But seriously I don't know how I made that error with the Willie Mays of the Dead-Ball era but as I mentioned in my PM, a lot of it had to do with burn-out at the end there. Forthcoming will be those changes as well as added player-audio for 80+ players, thanks to OTBJoel. I've working on re-assigning the audio Joel put together for me so that everyone can enjoy a nice Version 2.0 very soon. Thanks again Y4L.

I'm very happy you liked the review of the mod Dennis. That means a lot to me. And don't concern yourself with those attribute errors. Things happen and that's the way it is. Also, I am very excited about you releasing a version 2.0 for this mod that will enhance the audio even more. And remember, take your time with this. When you get the update done is up to you. No one has a clock on you and you shouldn't feel rushed. Thank you again.

• 5 months later...

It is always a pleasure to update this thread because it means that another mod has been released here on this website and this time it is Total Classics 1962 by stecropper. You can download the mod right here.

For those of you who do not know who stecropper is he is a member of this community who is heavily involved in Total Classics and probably knows as much about making a total conversion mod as Jim825. If you've played any of the season mods from the 1960's you already know how detailed and accurate stecropper is. And this 1962 mod is no different.

The decision to go with baseball cards of the 1962 major league players was a nice touch. You can see some of the cards in the loading screens and they are also used as portraits when a player comes up to bat or in to pitch.

The installation of this mod was quick and easy. Just install it over a clean copy of Mvp 2005 and you are all set. One thing I did notice when I read the directions is that you can bypass the Rglass profile because as many of you know already if you create a player named Katie Roy and save it you will have everything unlocked under your own profile and you don't have to use Robert Glass's profile.

The music once again is essential to these season mods. The proper music that was around during that time is important to set the mood for the game and again the choices put into the 1962 jukebox fit right in and sound wonderful.

According to stecropper he stated that this mod was the first mod made that was synched with the statistics from the 1962 Strat-O-Matic baseball game. What I think he means is that they took the stats from the players in that game and put them in this mod. Hopefully if he comes in here and reads this he can confirm this or not.

The only other thing I can say about this mod is that you should download it and install it because there is a lot to love in this game. Have fun with the mod and also don't forget to thank the modders for their work and Trues, the owner of this website for hosting these exciting mods.

Video: Pittsburgh's Roy Face retires the final two Colt 45's in the 9th to save the game.

Screenshots

This staged photo depicting four members of the brand new New York Mets of the National League shows the only time all year that the Mets had anything to jump up and cheer about as they went 40 - 120 in their inaugural season and finished an amazing 60 1/2 games behind the pennant winning Giants.

01Metsrejoice.jpg

Welcome to Total Classics 1962!

02TC1962.jpg

This classic overlay included here is in other season mods because of the beauty and detail of it. It tells you anything you need to know at a glance without cluttering up the screen and is a welcome addition to the 1962 season.

03Overlay62.jpg

At bat for the Colt 45's is Bob Aspromonte. A trivia question you can spring on someone is to ask them to name the last player in the major leagues to have played for the Brooklyn Dodgers and the answer would be this man here, who retired in 1971.

04Aspro.jpg

Hal Smith could not check his swing and was one of Vern Law's five strikeouts on the day.

05Notholdup.jpg

1962 Continued

Houston pitcher Turk Farrell lays down a perfect sacrifice bunt in the third inning that advanced shortstop Bob Lillis to second. Lillis scored moments later on a two run home run by Al Spangler to give the Colt 45's a 2 - 0 lead.

Smoky Burgess hits an opposite field double off of Farrell here in the bottom of the fifth and came around to score on a wild pitch to cut the lead to 2 - 1.

Al Spangler had a good day for Houston as he reached base twice against Pittsburgh. Here he singles and advances to second on an error by Pirate centerfielder Bill Virdon. Spangler was one of the bright spots for the new Houston franchise that year as he hit .285 in 129 games and scored 51 runs with 35 RBI for a team that finished 64 - 96 which was still good enough for eighth place ahead of the Cubs and Mets.

Six innings in the books and we have a close one.

Here is where it fell apart for Houston pitcher Turk Farrell. He gave up one run on only four hits in the first six innings but leading off the bottom of the seventh he gave up a lead off triple to Bob Skinner and Skinner scored the tying run on Smoky Burgess' double. Farrell only recorded one out in the seventh inning and gave up four hits and four runs and was eventually charged with the loss.

1962 Continued

It continues to fall apart in the seventh for Farrell as Pirate pitcher Vern Law gets into the act as he singles off his counterpart driving in the fourth and final run of the inning.

Farrell's day is done as Houston goes to their bullpen.

After walking the first batter he faced, reliever Russ Kemmerer had the task of facing Roberto Clemente with the bases loaded. Kemmerer must have had an angel on his shoulder because he was able to retire Clemente on a liner back to him to prevent Pittsburgh from blowing the game wide open.

Last of the eighth now and Pittsburgh's trying to get another run but this bad bunt by backup catcher Don Leppert was caught by Houston backstop Hal Smith turned the inning around and the Pirates did not score.

The next mod that will be reviewed in this thread is the Mvp 2012 mod. This mod is without a doubt the most eagerly anticipated season mod in the past few years on this website and that includes the past few total classics mods that have been posted here. Of course there is a very good reason for this. The total classics mods are worked on without the knowledge of the entire community here for two very good reasons. First the modders are able to work on their mod at their own pace and when it is done and they are satisfied, they release it.

Secondly, if they announced they were working on a mod they'd get bothered with questions again and again as to when it is coming out. Ask Jim or Krawhitham or Homer to confirm this. When they are done, they are released, much to everyone's surprise.

Not so with this 2012 mod! The idea for this mod started with daflyboys when he asked if this mod could take place. Then Kyleb (a guy who did not have the PC version of the game until recently) said why not and took charge of the project and before long the great modders that we have here chipped in and the mod slowly started to come together. Finally after much beta testing the mod was competed last week and the results were well worth the wait.

You can download the 2012 mod right here. The installation of this mod is quick and easy. Just point the installer in the right direction to a clean copy of Mvp 05 and then get out of its way.

Once you are done with the preliminaries you can get into the game and the first thing you should do is have a look around, and I'll explain further in a minute. Something that will stand out when you are getting ready to play a game is the unbelievable amount of uniform choices you have here. In the mod description it says that there are over seven hundred uniforms to choose from and that is from A ball right up to the major leagues. A lot of these uniforms were made by bctrackboi11 and Dennis James, two people whose talents were invaluable in the making and completion of this mod.

As I stated previously, look around the mod. Check out the uniforms and try them out. If there are any questions about one of them bring it to kyleb's attention and he will take a look at it. Also check out other areas that you think may have to be changed. There has been some minor things that have already been caught by different users and kyleb addressed every one of the issues when he released the first patch for Mvp 12 a few days after the mod was posted.

One very interesting direction they went into with this mod was the elimination of the classic stadiums and in their place they have put in minor league parks and also the Tokyo Dome. This I thought was an outstanding idea and while I do not know if it was their intention or not this decision to remove the older stadiums in favor of these parks was a subtle move to distinguish their work from previous mods. If so, it worked because these minor league parks look good.

The jukebox music in this mod is as modern as the mod itself. Kyleb stated that he wanted to have this particular jukebox focused towards modern rock music and I am here to tell him that I believe he succeeded in doing so because I personally have never heard of any of these songs. :D

Another big part of this game is the batter walk up music that was put in here. They must have spent a lot of time with this because the walk ups are jam packed with different songs. And if you want a roster set that is up to date with the latest moves, get the one made by daflyboys and keep in mind the next update will be after the July 31 trading deadline.

This is a mod that Mvp enthusiasts will enjoy playing again and again and this is also a mod that will return former Mvp players to Mvp baseball.

Video: Alfonso Soriano makes the last out of the game.

Screenshots

Ryan Dempster started for the Cubs today but did not stay in the game long or earn a decision. Dempster gave up six runs in 5 1/3 innings and left the game with the lead but with a high pitch count of 102.

01Dempster.jpg

Melky Cabrera scores the Giants first run on a double by Pablo Sandoval.

02Firstrun.jpg

Giant pitcher Tim Lincecum was wild today. Here he hits his counterpart Ryan Dempster with a pitch, the first of two times that he did it in the game. The second time he did it in the fourth inning he was ejected.

03HitBP.jpg

Both benches were warned after the first time Dempster was hit.

04Warning.jpg

Even though it was unintentional it still was a good feeling for Dempster as he scored the tying run on Starlin Castro's triple.

05Tyingrun.jpg

Mvp 2012 Continued

Lincecum did have flashes of brilliance however as he managed to strike out five in his three innings plus of work.

This throw was a bit wide and the Giants were lucky that it did not get away.

David Dejesus is caught between second and third after he doubled and tried to stretch it into a triple. After he saw what a bad idea it was he tried to scamper back to second but the Giants were having none of that.

This Buster Posey single loaded the bases for San Francisco and before the inning was over the Giants scored two runs to take the lead 9 - 7.

A fine day for a game at Chicago's Wrigley Field as the last of the seventh inning is about to begin.

Mvp 2012 Continued

Starlin Castro steals second base in the last of the eighth but did not score.

There must have been about five balls that got past Darwin Barney like this in today's game. The only time this guy was able to catch the ball was when it stopped rolling.

Jeremy Affeldt is ejected from the game. He was the second Giant pitcher in the game to be thrown out but the difference between this one and Lincecum's ejection is that Affeldt aimed for and was successful in hitting Reed Johnson on purpose.

Another attempt by the Giants to pick off a Cub base runner and this time the ball gets past first baseman Aubrey Huff.

Final score, Giants 9, Cubs 7. Sergio Romo retires the side in order for the save.

• 6 months later...

The great modders over at the Caribe website have recently released Mvp Caribe 2012 and you can download it over at their website by clicking on this link. Once again for those of you who are unaware, you must be registered on that website to get this mod.

When you download it you will notice that they are up to version 1.1 now. I did my mod review with version 1.0 of the mod and the upgrades that were put into the newer version are as follows.

1. The roster and attributes have been updated to the end of the regular season.

2. Each player has his actual statistics up to the end of the 2012-2013 season.

3. Errors reported by the users have been corrected.

4. The uniforms were updated.The missing ones will be updated in version 1.2

5. New portraits and faces.

Please note that the above was written in Spanish and I did my best to translate it. Let's just say they upgraded a lot.

To install the game you will need your disks and the password to put in when you are asked is www.mvpcaribe.com.

The first thing that jumps out at you is how well these guys do the video that introduces the mod. Whomever is in charge of making the videos for these mods is a genius because they look great. They year they actually were able to get two Mexican players (catcher Ali Solis of the Tomateros ball club and first baseman Albino Contreras of the Yaquis) to walk up to each other and stand face-to-face and hold up their game pads. Whoever came up with this idea did a great job and it was nice that those two players agreed to do this.

The music chosen for this mod seems to have been made especially for it because it fits in so well. The Caribe team never fails to capture the feel of baseball south of the border and the passion of the fans who watch the games.

There is quite an extensive set of uniforms that have been included in this mod and each team has many choices to choose from. The old throwback flannel ones look great and each stadium has been reproduced very well for this mod.

They put something in this year during replays that is quite impressive. When you view a replay you will see a white light surrounding a featured player that makes them stand out. If I am not describing this right please forgive me but watch the attached video that I have here. After the center fielder makes the catch the replay comes up and you will see the white light on him. Whatever they call it and whatever it is it looks great.

The game I played was between the Criollos de Caguas (Puerto Rico) and Mayos de Navojoa (Mexico.) Kelvin Villa pitching for the Criollos and Hector Velazquez for the hometown Mayos. The Mayos won 5 - 3 and the feel, sight and sound of the game made it like you were actually at one of the games down there, which is what the Caribe team was aiming for.

This is a great mod to play during these winter months and also for any time of the year. They did a great job once again on this and I highly recommend this.

For those of you who want this and you go to the Caribe site, click on this logo to go to the download area to get the mod.

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/892/downloadcaribe.jpg

Here is a video of the last two outs of the game.

Screenshots

Welcome to Mvp Caribe 2012

01Caribe2012.jpg

Overhead view of the Mayos de Navojoa's ballpark

02MayosStadium.jpg

Another great job on the Caribe overlay.

03Caribe12Look.jpg

Driving in the first run of the game

04Bankston.jpg

Mvp Caribe 2012 Continued

Criollos pitcher Kelvin Villa strugged the entire time he was out there.

Run number three of the inning is about to score off of Villa.

Got to give this guy credit for hanging in there because when the manager went out to the mound for this conference Villa had only pitched 3 1/3 innings and was blasted for eleven hits. He didn't stay around much longer.

Villa gets out of the inning when a Mayos baserunner gets too greedy for his own good.

The Mayos defense was not that good as the committed two errors in the game that lead to all three runs for the Criollos.