Total Conversion Mods

Yankee4Life

Two days ago the Mvp 15 season mod was released here at Mvpmods. It's a milestone mod because it marks the tenth anniversary of Mvp baseball and for those of us who have been here for the entire time we witnessed for ourselves the dedication and love for the game that each modder gave to this game.

This mod could not and would not have been made without the leadership skills of Kyleb. He's the same guy responsible for the organization of the popular Mvp 12 and Mvp 13 mods. If you enjoyed playing those two mods then this one is something you are going to want to download right away.

Mvp 15 can be downloaded by clicking on this link right here. If you noticed on the front page there is already a patch for this mod. The contents of the patch were to include more cyberfaces in the mod that did not get included when the mod was being packaged. Along with the cyberfaces the rosters were updated and a new stadium was included. So be sure to grab that along with the mod because it is a necessary part of it.

As I have always said the installation of these mods are quick, easy and painless and that is thanks to Jim825 who once again created the installer. Because of so many new people here I'll briefly go over it here. You'll need a clean copy of Mvp 2005. Install patch #2 only and then extract the Mvp 15 mod. You'll see a file called explodeme.exe. Run that file and then direct it to where you have that clean copy of Mvp installed.

Once you have it installed you can then install Kyleb's patch #1. You need the Total Installer Thingy program for this. And that is that. Start the game!

The first thing that grabbed my attention when I started the mod was an introduction that I literally have not seen in ten years. It was the original EA Sports video that they made that advertised what was waiting for us in Mvp '05 when we got into it. It immediately whisked me back ten years as I remembered online games I used to play against members who are no longer here. I thought it was a nice touch by Kyleb and a fitting look back.

Once you get into the main menu and look around a little bit you'll see the fantastic artwork done by KCCitystar. You'll see more of his loading screens as you play more games. He's also responsible for the jukebox music which fits this mod perfectly. You could not have asked for anything more.

The game I chose to play was the Chicago Cubs at the San Francisco Giants. I used the Cubs because of all the hype (deservedly or not) that they received over the winter and the Giants because they are the defending champions. 

Before I decided on these two teams I scrolled through the others and the choice between modern and classic uniforms for each team is very even with the exception of teams like Arizona because really what kind of history do they have?

If you have a good set of speakers I suggest you turn them up when playing this mod because the music that is piped in between batters is phenomenal. A few times I got a quick called strike on me because I was listening to it so close.

There's so much more to go over in this mod. The audio is picture perfect and the cyber faces are so good that you want to play against each team to see what guys have been made on each team. That's what I plan on doing in the coming days.

If I can give this mod more than five stars I would. I just want to thank every modder who had a hand in Mvp 15 and to every modder who has been a member of our website. You guys are the greatest.

Screenshots.

Ten years of Mvp Baseball. It flew by.

Mvp15_01.jpg

Welcome to Mvp 15!
Mvp15_02.jpg

Mvp15_03.jpg

Mvp15_04.jpg

Mvp15_05.jpg

• 3 months later...

I dont know if this goes here or not, but I need to ask a question about the TCM..

1.  Has anyone ran it on windows 8.1 and had it work normal without crashes?

2. If so, which files contain just the uniform files and things associated with equipment?

Reason I am asking is I will just go ahead and play from 2005, but install the unis and stadiums, so I dont have to add the patches.. Because with patch 2, the game just go crazy, and runs so fast it is unplayable.. Id rather just install the unis and stadiums and play a vanilla game instead of not being able to play at all..

I think I was able to play 2007 without issue, but that was on XP, not windows 8.1, and I tried to install it, it just ran way to fast.  I know its a bit of a stretch, but I wish there was a way to create mods without using the patch because as windows gets newer and newer, its going to get very hard for us to play the game with mods it seems.

You are not brand new here. You should know better and just by looking at this thread on this page you would have known what it was about.

I know that, but I was looking quickly and saw that it said TCM, so i thought that was where questions for it went, and my apologies, I was wrong..  Please accept my apology and feel free to remove my posts..

I know that, but I was looking quickly and saw that it said TCM, so i thought that was where questions for it went, and my apologies, I was wrong..  Please accept my apology and feel free to remove my posts..

Don't concern yourself with this any longer. I hope you get your questions answered.

• 5 months later...

Introducing Total Classics 1971!

1971TC01.jpg

That is the splash screen you will see when you start up Total Classics 1971. It was uploaded here yesterday by BRobby05. And before I get going and say what I think of it I should like to point out that there are a lot of good things about it and some things that need to be worked on.

Usually this is the place where I provide the link for the mod just so if anyone is interested in downloading it they don't have to go too far to get it. But in this case he has uploaded the mod in five separate parts and you need to download all five of them to have the mod work properly for you. The five parts of the 1971 mod are as follows.

1. 1971 Audios.

2. 1971 Stadiums and datafiles.

3. Balance of Stuff

4. Data Folder folders.

5. Other files for data folder.

It does not matter which one of these five parts of the mod you install first because they all have to be installed so grab yourself a cup of coffee and start unzipping. No, wait. Check that. Better make yourself a pot of coffee and a few sandwiches and shut the door and turn your phone off because this is going to take awhile.

You want an example? This is a screen shot of the contents of the 1971 Audios file. It's in thirteen parts. You have to unzip all thirteen of these things and then overwrite them in the correct place in the mod. And this was just for one of them. Remember, you've got four more to go.

1971 Audio Files.jpg

I did it because I have time to do it. I recently had knee surgery so I have time to do this. If not I wouldn't have bothered and that's too bad because when I got into the mod I saw the great potential of it. But because it is in five parts and all the uncompressing you have to do most people are going to stay away from this and I honestly do not blame them. I won't sit here and tell everyone that but you had better set aside more than a half an hour unzipping all five of these folders. I did it once and I will never do it again. Novice MVP users will get easily confused and other MVP users who do not want to devote all that time to the installation will say forget it.

If you decide to do this have a clean copy of Mvp 05 and then go from there. Good luck.

Once I got in the mod the introduction videos and the splash screen were the two things that really impressed me the most.  Then I got to the loading screens and the best thing I can say about them is that they need some work. The background colors stand out too much. Take a look.

1971 Splash screen 01.jpg

1971 Splash screen 02.jpg

1971 Splash screen 03.jpg

The uniforms were in their wrong slots but I am sure that is a hard thing to keep in order.

1971 Uniforms 01.jpg

1971 Uniforms 02.jpg

I chose for my exhibition game the Chicago White Sox (cpu) against the California Angels (me.) There was another uniform problem as the White Sox visiting uniforms were the wrong ones from what they wore in 1971. Just take a look at the game screen shots and you will see. Some of the players need to have their ratings fixed too. Wilbur Wood, a knuckleballing lefthander had a stamina of 26. This is a guy that would -and did- pitch both ends of a doubleheader. He had a lot more stamina than that. Even C.C. Sabathia has more stamina than that although no one knows it anymore because he is always being lifted in the fourth inning. Ok, moving on.

BRobby must be a country music fan because the jukebox is loaded with country singers like Johnny Cash and Lester Skraggs. Playing TC '71 was like playing baseball with Hee Haw  on in the background. Hey, the guy likes country so it's fine.

Getting into the mod and playing it was fine. Some of the players in the game are assigned the wrong faces but that can be fixed. I enjoyed playing the 1971 mod. I give him credit for making it because I know how time consuming it is to create a season mod. The good thing is that everything that I mentioned that should be fixed can be fixed. This is not the worst Total Classics mod that was released here. Many of you do not remember this but when the 1927 mod was released it was the worst one by far - and only because of the things it lacked. For example when you played the Boston Braves at Brooklyn's Ebbets Field against the Dodgers you would have displayed Atlanta at Los Angeles instead of Boston at Brooklyn. With some nips and tucks that mod became a very good top of the line mod. So can this one.

Screenshots from 1971

1971TC02.jpg

1971TC03.jpg

1971TC04.jpg

TC 1971 between innings overlay.
1971TC05.jpg

1971TC06.jpg

1971TC07.jpg

1971TC08.jpg

1971TC09.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just a few days ago Jim825 and Dennis James71 uploaded the latest contribution to the Total Classics series with the release of Total Classics 1976. Like all the other collaborations that these two have worked on in the past this mod has it all. Terrific gameplay, accurate and good-looking uniforms and stadiums, a meticulous and detailed roster for the '76 season plus sounds and imagery from that season.

The installation of this mod is quick and simple and easy to follow. All you need is a clean, unmodded copy of Mvp '05 and you are all set. The install procedure will have you ready to go in just a few minutes.

Back in November of 2014 Jim and Dennis finalized the finishing touches of the 1977 mod and uploaded it to the site. When I did my write-up for that mod I made a note to mention that the images that were included in that mod had to be a difficult task to accomplish because of the picture quality. See for yourself by googling a ballplayer that played during this time. You won't get the nice looking hi resolution photos you see today.

Although you can not tell from looking at the images in this mod, they had the same problem here that they had in the 1977 mod. Whatever photos they grabbed I guarantee you that they had to do some major touching up on them to make them look presentable.

Listening to the soundtrack of this mod brought back memories of my sister who spent that entire summer of 1976 in our backyard with a radio by our pool. Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, Paul McCartney and Wings and the Electric Light Orchestra are just a few of the artists you'll hear when you start up the '76 mod. And the music played between pitches during a break in the action is well chosen and always seems to fit the tempo of the game. If you pay attention close you will hear a few seconds of the Imperial March from Star Wars and the five-note sequence from Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Even though these two movies did not come out until one year later. This is what is called artistic license.

Gameplay is enhanced with the addition of the Legends of the Booth mod that features the voices of Vin Scully, Ernie Harwell and Mel Allen.

The exhibition game that I chose for this write-up was Minnesota at the Yankees but before I played this game I checked out the other uniforms and stadiums from the American and National Leagues and I have to say that Dennis James once again did a magnificent job. His work is state-of-the-art and we are lucky to have him.

In the game I played the Yankees took a 5 - 0 lead off of Dave Goltz but the Twins came back with a four-run eighth off of a tiring Kenny Holtzman. Sparky Lyle came on in the ninth inning to retire the Twins to preserve a 5 - 4 win but not without a scare. Dan Ford hit a one-out double and advanced to third on a sacrifice fly but Lyle got pinch-hitter Steve Brye to ground out to end the game.

1976. A great year for Total Classics. Another wonderful job by Dennis and Jim. Thank you so much.

Screenshots from the 1976 mod.

Welcome to the 1976 Total Classics mod!
1976TC01.jpg

1976TC02.jpg

1976TC03.jpg

1976TC04.jpg

1976TC05.jpg

1976TC06.jpg

A close one here in the Bronx.
1976TC07.jpg

Minnesota's Rod Carew. He was a magician with the bat.
1976TC08.jpg

1976TC09.jpg

1976TC10.jpg

Ken Holtzman stares down Lyman Bostock here in the 5th inning. Holtzman struck out five and went eight innings for the victory.
1976TC11.jpg

1976TC12.jpg

1976TC13.jpg

1976TC14.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Four months ago the first edition of Total Classics 1971 was released by a member of this website. It was to put it as nicely and fairly as one could, incomplete and disorganized but at the same time full of potential because 1971 was one of the most interesting seasons in baseball history.

Four twenty game winners came out of Baltimore. Sometimes when I tell that to people today they immediately think I am pulling their leg but as Casey Stengel so aptly put it, "You could look it up." Players such as Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Bob Gibson and Frank Robinson were still active and adding to their future Hall-of-Fame credentials. Younger players such as Reggie Jackson, Bobby Murcer and Vida Blue were making themselves household names too. Blue especially. All he did was win the Cy Young award and Most Valuable Player award in 1971. Not bad for someone only twenty-one years of age.

So, 1971 was a good choice for a total conversion mod. It's just that the first version of this mod needed a lot of work and the guy who created this original mod (BRobby05) left the website soon after this was released back in February because he felt that he was being picked on because people were bringing up problems

with the mod. One guy couldn't get the mod to play because the menus in the game were slow and it seemed to crash. The mod was almost unplayable for him. There were also other comments about the mod that were given constructively but he chose to look at them as a personal attack. Soon after this he requested his account deactivated and he left the website. The last word on him is that he has been devoting his time to the Westboro Baptist Church and is very happy.

There were five parts to downloading the first '71 mod a few months back. Now it is in one part and you can download it right here.  It is Jim's familiar installer and if you have installed the TC mods in the past then you will have no trouble getting the 1971 mod on your system without any problem. Just have a clean, unmodded version of Mvp 2005 so you can direct the installer where to place the files and that will be that. You know the drill.

This mod was overhauled by the two masters Jim825 and DennisJames71. That's all you really need to know because if you see their names associated with a total conversion mod you know it's going to be good and that you'll be spending a lot of your free time in the mod playing exhibition games or a full season. These guys have a way of captivating you with their work.

Dennis rolled up his sleeves and fixed the problems with the uniforms that were so glaring the first time around. Now all the uniforms look crisp and neat. Typical Dennis James. There is a list of things that Jim and Dennis did that you can see for yourself in the file description when you get this mod and believe me it is quite an extensive undertaking. One thing they did not have to do was get new photos. That is one thing the original modder did very well. The music on the other hand was an area of concern. There was so much country music  contained in the first mod that even The Beverly Hillbillies  wouldn't have been able to listen to it all at once. Jim took pity on everyone and gave all this music its outright release and then added artists such as The Rolling Stones, The Temptations, Tom Jones and Isaac Hayes to the jukebox. You can check out the full list when you get into the mod.

There was one thing that I don't know if Jim or Dennis could have done anything about and it was the appearance of the loading screens. I know that they said they resized them but the look of those screens are as bad as the first mod. Get into the mod and decide for yourself. It looks as if these screens were created with the cheapest (free) paint program that guy was able to find. However, if Jim and Dennis decided to keep these screens as is  as an example of how gaudy the 1970's were, then my hat's off to them because if there was one decade that had no sense of fashion it would be the 1970's. It's like someone got a couple of monkeys and gave them some paint and had them throw it against a canvas and whatever stuck they used those colors to design clothes.

The overlay is the only thing I am seriously considering changing because I am one of those people who is a stickler for detail. BRobby used an NBC logo in the first mod (well, he actually stole it from the 1988 mod) but by using an NBC one he was right. NBC did the baseball broadcasting in 1971. ABC did televise baseball (from 1953 to 1965) and did not televise it again until 1976. Again as Ol' Case says, you could look it up. One other thing was how the original modder did not remove the "Top 100 Prospect" icon from some of the players. In the game I played Frank Howard (rookie year 1960) and Reggie Jackson (rookie year 1968) were top 100 prospects.

I spent over an hour yesterday in this mod and I can't begin to tell you how impressed I was. I'll be back again and again. Thank you so much to Jim and Dennis for providing more historical baseball fun with Mvp 2005.

The game I used for this write-up was the Oakland Athletics (CPU, first in the A.L. West in '71) against the Washington Senators (me, fifth in the A.L. East in 1971.)

Screenshots.

Welcome to Total Classics 1971...take two!
21971TC01.jpg

The loading screens still look like they were created in MS Paint thanks to the original modder.
21971TC02.jpg

21971TC03.jpg

Washington has an early lead in this game.
21971TC04.jpg

21971TC05.jpg

21971TC06.jpg

21971TC07.jpg

21971TC08.jpg

21971TC09.jpg

1971TC10.jpg

In-game overlay for the 1971 mod.
1971TC11.jpg

1971TC12.jpg

1971TC13.jpg

Say hi to Top 100 Prospect Reggie Jackson.
1971TC14.jpg

1971TC15.jpg

1971TC16.jpg

1971TC17.jpg

1971TC18.jpg

Thanks for the review.  A few comments:

You can thank Dennis for the updated jukebox music.  He was the one who put it together.  I created the batter walkup music from his selections and added snippets of a few more.

You're right about the colors on the loading screens.  They are hard on the eyes, but we didn't feel like creating new screens, especially considering all of the other changes we made.  This was supposed to be a 1 -2 week "quick fix", however, the perfectionists in Dennis and me turned this into a 3 month project. :fool:   Oh well, I guess you can't rush quality, right?  ^_^

I tried to remove those "Top 100 Prospect" labels but couldn't quite figure it out.  They are a bit annoying, but don't affect the overall game play.

I was torn about replacing the overlay.  As you pointed out, NBC broadcast games in the early 70's, however, I didn't like the late 1980's NBC logo and couldn't find a decent 1970's NBC logo that I could use to try to create a new overlay.  Instead, I decided to use the 1970's ABC overlay that we used in other TC1970's mods. 

You can thank Dennis for the updated jukebox music.  He was the one who put it together.  I created the batter walkup music from his selections and added snippets of a few more.

Oh, well I am sorry about that. Good work Dennis! :)

You're right about the colors on the loading screens.  They are hard on the eyes, but we didn't feel like creating new screens, especially considering all of the other changes we made.  This was supposed to be a 1 -2 week "quick fix", however, the perfectionists in Dennis and me turned this into a 3 month project. :fool:   Oh well, I guess you can't rush quality, right?  ^_^

I tried to remove those "Top 100 Prospect" labels but couldn't quite figure it out.  They are a bit annoying, but don't affect the overall game play.

That's ok Jim. This wasn't your creation to begin with. And I don't think there was any way that this would have been a quick one to two week fix. Like you said you both are perfectionists and there was just too much to repair and get in order. Now you could have done it two weeks had you both worked fourteen hour days but who needs that? :D

And the top 100 label didn't affect the game play at all. By the middle of the game that I played I didn't even notice it anymore.

I was torn about replacing the overlay.  As you pointed out, NBC broadcast games in the early 70's, however, I didn't like the late 1980's NBC logo and couldn't find a decent 1970's NBC logo that I could use to try to create a new overlay.  Instead, I decided to use the 1970's ABC overlay that we used in other TC1970's mods. 

I understand. Sometimes you got to make adjustments.

Would this help?

NBC logo history

86dd9bd27c56b7dd4282d469ac4240a4.jpg

NBC.jpg

Great Mod guys! 1971 was a favorite season of mine also and this is very well done. Were the player running speeds 

also an artifact of version 1.0 ? There seem to be many rated at 100 and quite a few at only 5. Still a very solid job.

Great Mod guys! 1971 was a favorite season of mine also and this is very well done. Were the player running speeds 

also an artifact of version 1.0 ? There seem to be many rated at 100 and quite a few at only 5. Still a very solid job.

Oh thank God. A question in here from someone that kind of relates to what this thread is about!

I am glad you are liking the 1971 mod and if you are interested at all please try the others that are here.

Yes, those are leftover from v1.0.  Numerous sims were run, however, and the stats at the end of the season came out pretty close to the actual 1971 stats (batting, pitching, stolen bases, etc.).  The division standings were pretty close as well.

Here's an MVP Edit file with the Top 100 prospects tags removed.

1971.mbe