~ Relive The Dyna'Sty ~ - A 2009 Season In Progress

JoeRudi26

Thanks wrig, always good to hear your input.  We're not looking too good right now, but maybe if I stay resilient in this half azz'ed division, I may make some noise come this fall.

Thanks for checking in, man.

BTW, have fun at the game in Atlanta, flash us some signage if you get a chance.   B)

Will do. If I get one from Soriano, it's going straight to ebay. :D

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is off topic, but has to do with the "signage" comment ...

Last night me, my coaching buddy, and 2 of Clay Zavada's buddies/former HS teammates (kids we coached and played softball with) went to Kaufmann stadium to meet with Clay and to catch the game.

I have two comments that might be interesting to people.

[1] We wore fake fuzzy handlebar moustahces and had a big sign that read "Bring out the Zavada" with a big curly moustache on it. We kept getting text messages that we were on tv ... 4 different times. I got a message that they kept showing me and then Clay back and forth for 20 seconds. A former player's brother kept messaging me telling me about my hat (Central MIssourri State Mules ... where his borther plays). We were able to get Mark Grace's attention in the broadcast booth and had some good back and forth going with him, and that got us even more airtime. We DVR'd the game which was shown on Direct TV MLB network. Bottom LIne: Do something creative, and you'll get on TV. I'm/We're sarcastically looking to parlay this into a reality show, where we get paid to follow Clay around the country, watching games.

[2] Being an MLB rookie seems to be "not much fun". They make rookies do a lot of stuff, and they scare them to death with be sent down all the time. He were able to drive him to the stadium (imagine a bonafide MLB reliever crammed into a rented Ford Focus with 4 jagoffs), and he was paranoid the whole time that he was going to be a few minutes late and get sent to Mobile that night *grin*. He has to be at the stadium 1.5 hours before the other players, carry around a pink backpack at all non-action times, and basically do everything the veterans say.

On the plus side, he threw us some BP balls, talked to us after the game, and we were able to go out on the town and shoot the breeze about all the crazy hijinx in HS and summer softball. It's kinda of weird but he was constantly concerned about his home in Illinois (was his dog being taken care of, was his yard getting mowed, etc), getting signed memorabilia to all the folks back home, getting gloves to friends that were playing in college/summer, getting everyone tickets (4 friends, 11 family members) and making sure they got into the game okay ... and well, when he gets to a city, he has no idea of what to do, where to go, where to eat, etc.

Doug Davis and Chris Snyder are taking him under their wings and taking him shopping to get clothes (Clay is a Carhart and work boots type of guy, and carries a duffle bag around with sandwiches in peanut butter around, because he wants to make sure he eats ... they clued him into the buffet spread in the adjacent room to the clubhouse). It's just amazing to hear about all of the stuff/hassles during the day for a guy that does not have a big signing bonus and is in a contrct year, all the while trying to get MLB batters out and continuing to develop his curveball and cutter. His world is going 9,000 miles per minute. It was really cool that he's been in the majors for 2 months and all he really wanted to talk about was the crazy stuff tat happened to him and his buddies during little league and summer softball. He hasn't changed a bit.

Schoenweiss just came back, and Clay's buddy Dan Schlereth (son of ex-NFL'er and ESPN analyst Mark Schlereth, Denver Broncos) just got sent back down, and with Tom 'Flash' Gordo coming back (Brandon Webb also) soon, he doesn't know what it means for him on the roster. Note: Flash Gordon is one of those eccentric personalities your read about in the "locker room books", hilarious, and Clay does a great imitation. He reports that Jon Garland and Doug Davis are two of the nicest guys one could ever meet. He also talked about Dan Haren and Justin Upton being absolutely, unbelievably good. Upton is really coming into his own, .305 with 14HRs.

We're going to see him again at Busch Stadium in July, and we're doing the whole moustache and sign thing again ... begging for more airtime. *grin*

I hope this appropriate to post here. In 'real life' there's just no opportunities to really talk about this stuff, because we work in non baseball related fields, and no one really cares about our baseball exploits/experiences, 'out there', but I thought some baseball junkies might enjoy hearing about some real life 'behind the scnes' type of stuff. Mostly, I wanted to reiterate that being an MLB rookie, trying to earn a long-term spot is in no way glamorous, but nerve-racking, as you know one mistake (getting to the stadium late, walking in a run, throwing a bad pitch at the wrong time, etc) could be your last action in the bigs. I have a whole new respect for the pressure these guys deal with on a daily basis ... do nine things right ... and get hammered for the one time you mess up. That's reality in MLB.

When he went out with us, he was scared to death to drink a beer, because he thought if he did make a mistake, someone would know that he was out with his buddies and he would be gone. On the other side of the coin, he did say that it was tremendously rewarding to get Pudge Rodriguez to ground out on a 1st pitch curveball, since he just developed that pitch over the winter (in our HS gym, throwing to my buddy, who coached him in HS). Clay was also very excited b/c he recently earned enough service time to earn the league minimum (400K/yr) b/c he was struggling with earning enough money to pay his mortage, cab fare, apartment rent, save some money in the bank, etc on what he was earning. That was just amazing to hear.

JR, if this is in any way poulltion to your thread, please e-mail me, and I will edit it out.

Going off of their win/loss record, San Diego appears to be the worst team in baseball.  But after digging in a little deeper, they really appear to be about a "middle of the pack" team.  They're doing most things right, they just can't get runners across the plate.  For the most part, their stats really aren't indicitave of their record, so it appears they may just not be on the good side of luck.

I've seen this before with teams like this (Florida, Colorado); you go in expecting to pad your win column, but wind up getting your a@@ handed to you in the process and leaving town with your tail between your legs. That said, I'm a game under .500 and I need these wins desperately before I round out this Interleague tour back up in San Francisco next week.

I don't need to dig this hole any deeper than what it is, I won't be looking past them.   -_-

NL WEST STANDINGS

SAN DIEGO BATTING

SAN DIEGO PITCHING

@ rick,

Did you get my PM?  This is the only Update Board I could find, as a matter of fact, it may even be the only I ever made.  Either way, you're welcome to have it, I probably won't be using it anymore.

I was still kind of in the early learning stages when I made this, so the layers are unnamed and extremely disorganized, but you can still use it if you want.

@ rick,

Did you get my PM?  This is the only Update Board I could find, as a matter of fact, it may even be the only I ever made.  Either way, you're welcome to have it, I probably won't be using it anymore.

I was still kind of in the early learning stages when I made this, so the layers are unnamed and extremely disorganized, but you can still use it if you want.

71lfyf.jpg

Always did like this template. Some of your earlier work when you weren't so mad. :crazy:

I also found another one that you never actually used in Redsox's Dynasty Resources that he released a while back.

Really?  Strange, I don't remember making a different one.  Oh well, it's been a while.  Anyway, what's your email addy rick, I'll send it to you.

Ah yes, I forgot about that one.  I think I used it once, and then discarded it for some reason.  Either way, I don't have it anymore.

I mailed the other one if you want it.

Thanks man, much appreciated :)

I think last time i asked about it, you said that it took far too long to fill out and so you didn't see the point of using it. If i remember correctly.

I will post what i have come up with so far in the next 30 mins or so.

Thanks man, much appreciated :)

I think last time i asked about it, you said that it took far too long to fill out and so you didn't see the point of using it. If i remember correctly.

I will post what i have come up with so far in the next 30 mins or so.

Yeah, that sounds right.  I can remember it being a hassle to make in the first place, probably why I got rid of it.  :D

Anyway, looking forward to your update. 

Archived