The MVP 2005 and Windows 10 Thread

Solid_Contact

I did the windows 10 install on my backup system and everything went along pretty smoothly.  Loss my sound, disabled  realtek and creative in device manager then reenabled creative and got my sound back.  I think I also rebooted.  MLB2K12 plays without any problem.  Hope someone can come along and get you going. 

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windows 10 is still playing my franchise fine, but I had to greatly reduce my FPS. It was at 320 FPS when I first fired up the game. Couldn't even see the baseballs being pitched.  When I first started MVP 15 it was scrolling so fast, and even the baseballs were spinning like crazy on the menu screen. I had to put it back down to 60FPS and it looks great with no glitches yet. I have all three of my Geforce cards burning, so I like what I see so far from 10. It even plays fine in Stereoscopic 3D on my 84 inch Samsung which is awesome looking!

Windows 10 is still playing my franchise fine, but I had to greatly reduce my FPS. It was at 320 FPS when I first fired up the game. Couldn't even see the baseballs being pitched.  When I first started MVP 15 it was scrolling so fast, and even the baseballs were spinning like crazy on the menu screen. I had to put it back down to 60FPS and it looks great with no glitches yet. I have all three of my Geforce cards burning, so I like what I see so far from 10. It even plays fine in Stereoscopic 3D on my 84 inch Samsung which is awesome looking!

do you mind sharing any specific settings to get it working? I cant for the life of me get it to start. I tried checking the box to force a 640x400 resolution and i see a black screen then immediate exit, if i dont check the box, nothing even pops up.

do you mind sharing any specific settings to get it working? I cant for the life of me get it to start. I tried checking the box to force a 640x400 resolution and i see a black screen then immediate exit, if i dont check the box, nothing even pops up.

I have  it set with HDMI, 60 refresh rate, 1600 X 1024, 32 bit.  I just had to extremely slow down my graphics cards.  Hope this helps.

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum, and came here hoping someone had found a solution. I know what the problem is, at least for an unmodded game:

MVP Baseball 2005 uses SafeDisc v2, which uses a file called SECDRV.SYS to validate the disc. This normally shipped with Windows, but Microsoft appears to have pulled it from Windows 10. Every game I have tested that uses this form of copy protection exhibits the following behavior:

- If you try to run it, you get told to log in with Administrator Privileges and to try again.

- If you then set "Run as Admin" compatibility mode, the message disappears, but the game doesn't start.

- Keeping a window open for C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\DRIVERS shows SECDRV.SYS appearing (apparently put there by the game) at the moment you try to start the game.

- The Windows event log shows that SECDRV.SYS failed to load. The problem, it seems, is that the failed driver load is making these games fail their copy protection.

On my Windows 64-bit 8.1 system, C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS has a folder called amd64_macrovision-protection-safedisc_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.16384_none_4e6b3758913c9240 with a SECDRV.SYS in it, presumably the one that ships with Windows. Windows 10 had such a folder in early builds (I found this by looking at error logs posted online), but it is missing from the release build.

Edited by Gamboleer
EDIT: Add'l Info

I played MVP most of the day, and when I quit the game and went back to the desk top a window was there saying it automatically went to compatibility mode.  It let me check a box that said always do this for this program.  It is still working fine, I just make sure I run game as admin and it runs fine

Re-installed with Win10 and not getting anything... eh.

- I installed w/ patch # 5

Try to make sure you do as much as you can as admin.  Win 10 is in protect mode and most of the time won't let you change settings or install things correctly without doing it as admin.

Are those of you saying you have it working in Windows 10 doing disc-based installations in 64-bit Windows? The issue I've described with SafeDisc seems to be universal for any game with SECDRV.SYS and Windows 10, at least 64-bit (don't have a 32-bit system to test on). Civ IV is another game affected by the same problem.

Edited by Gamboleer

From a Tiger Woods Coursedownloads member:

I would advise not upgrading to W10 right away. Let them work out the kinks first. I am a professional remote support (freelance) techie for Windows Operating Systems, I honestly know my stuff very well.

I have advised everyone I know that since Windows 7 will receive Windows Updates until Jan 2020, there is no rush to get into a new operating system from Microsoft.

IMHO, Microsoft is doing such a huge advertising campaign this time around they are making Windows users feel compelled to upgrade to Windows 10, just because it''s free. I have to install all new operating systems from Microsoft for consumers because I need to know how to repair, tweak and optimize the systems. I installed the W10 upgrade and was not impressed with the final version. To be candid, it''s still much easier for the average computer user to navigate Windows 7.

In a few words: Windows 10 has too much junk in it in terms of the Start Menu/All Programs. Windows 7 has those two featues in excellently configured and everyone loves a helpful Start Button. ;)

I also believe Windows 7 to be the flagship Operating System from Microsoft since Windows XP.

Last but not least, the old adage: "if it ain''t broken, don''t fix it."

Just an opinion from being in the IT field for several years and doing sysadmin stuff for Windows machines,

I find even Windows 8.1 to be better than Windows 7 as it is. Faster boot, lighter OS...with no real downsides.

Windows 10 is pretty much Windows 7 with all of the actual improvements that Windows 8/8.1 brought in. It's more efficient with its hardware, more secure, faster startup/shutdowns and better Windows Update handling. Odds are with the lack of Aero (which was an issue with graphics cards at the time of W7 release) you'll get a few more frames out of your games too. If you use the Windows store to install desktop applications (i.e. NOT the metro ones introduced in Windows 8), you'll be glad to find that they're more than likely not to clutter up your system unnecessarily with random registry keys that are left behind, etc.

On a side note, with Windows 10 being the first OS that Microsoft will be offering as a "service", you'll be receiving new features that Microsoft develops as they're released through Windows Update along with all of the security patches. You can opt out of the features for up to several months, but the security/critical updates are mandatory and will install themselves. If you're the family IT guy like I am, you can be relieved to find that you'll no longer have to ask which version of Windows they're on, you'll just be able to assume "Windows 10", and most importantly because this is the first OS which Microsoft has attempted to do a rolling release (meaning everything gets updated on your machine when MS pushes out an update) with, you will always have the most recent build on your machine.

I dumped W7 years ago and never looked back. It was a great OS for its time.

Yes you can, in Windows 10 make a new partition by using Disk Management and when you're going through the Windows 7 installation, go to drive options and install on that new partition. Afterwards when you boot up it will ask which OS you want to use.

Edited by Solid_Contact

Hello all,

I recently upgraded to Windows 10. I attempted to run MVP Baseball with the settings I used before in Windows 7 (run in compatibility mode for Windows XP and run as administrator). However, the game will not even start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Same for me too. Uninstalled and reinstalled and the game won't even start!