BallFour's MVP Baseball 1998

BallFour

Photos are done up to San Diego now. I've been diving deep into this because I'm tracking down the style of bat and fielding gloves everyone wears, as well as batting gloves, wrist bands, elbow/shin guards, sock style, and catcher mask style. Basically, this roster I'll be uploading (along with models and portraits file) will be as true to 1998 as can possibly be, down to the last detail.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, BallFour said:

Photos are done up to San Diego now. I've been diving deep into this because I'm tracking down the style of bat and fielding gloves everyone wears, as well as batting gloves, wrist bands, elbow/shin guards, sock style, and catcher mask style. Basically, this roster I'll be uploading (along with models and portraits file) will be as true to 1998 as can possibly be, down to the last detail.

image.thumb.png.573fab52d2ddac6d0d1ec5327000d012.png

Just did a little bit of a gameplay test to see how things are looking thus far. Here are some screenshots from a replay of the 1998 World Series, Game 4. I stayed true to the World Series rosters for this game only.

Andy Pettitte vs. Kevin Brown

gm4pitchers.thumb.jpg.946d3a96e10e44b81fe0d3138905d172.jpg

Here are the actual lineups from the real life Game 4.

gm4lineups.thumb.jpg.513d391e013e88077f557d177a4e449c.jpg

Played at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego.

qualcomm.thumb.jpg.de6141c2d66fd0b714652608df15d7b3.jpg

Top 1 - Bernie Williams drives one into the left center field gap, scoring Derek Jeter from 2nd. The score is 1-0 Yankees.

gapper.thumb.jpg.a4980951bb2a8a95d3f8c959e6c4e79b.jpg

Top 2 - With 2 out in the inning, Andy Pettitte goes the other way for a base hit. It's still 1-0.

pettittehit.thumb.jpg.40c6300e9d9f9f11d7de2f58fe6b0b61.jpg

Bottom 2 - The 50 HR bat of Greg Vaughn steps in. Pitchers beware!

vaughn.thumb.jpg.cc452c40e20f2d6a42e4b08c4c009811.jpg

Top 4 - Paul O'Neill takes out Padres second baseman Quilvio Veras in an effort to break up a double play. The Yankees still lead, 4-0.

oneillslide.thumb.jpg.b649930fdd0179651eaedb1c75294b01.jpg

Bottom 5 - Greg Vaughn narrowly misses an opposite field homerun, but settles for an RBI double. The Yankees lead, 4-1.

vaughnrbi2b.thumb.jpg.8c53d5110dd9974613b53cea943ec912.jpg

Top 8 - Tino Martinez hits a homerun to left center field off of Padres reliever Randy Myers. It extends the Yankees lead to 5-1.

tinohr.thumb.jpg.94cd78abaf5a06c9b2367d0c08c5b9dd.jpg

Ballgame! Pinch hitter Archi Cianfrocco flies out to center to end the game. Final score, 5-1 Yankees.

finalout.thumb.jpg.05de87372d4e9eaa1c0dac3927e9ca4e.jpg

5 hours ago, junior1617 said:

when will you upload this friend mod?

When I'm done with it. I've still got a bit to go. I have to adjust stats and everything. Right now I'm working with the base MVP 1994 mod, so Mariano Rivera doesn't even have his cutter yet.

2 hours ago, BallFour said:

When I'm done with it. I've still got a bit to go. I have to adjust stats and everything. Right now I'm working with the base MVP 1994 mod, so Mariano Rivera doesn't even have his cutter yet.

ok this good friend we are waiting for your anxious mod

All 30 MLB managers now have cyberfaces! I've also added Manny Acta as the Minor League manager, and I think I found a way to have a bench coach cyberface show up. I'm going to test it when I get back home, but I was playing around in the code and I may have found a way to get it. I'm going to try it out. If it works, Don Zimmer will be the bench coach if your manager gets ejected. Again, it would be for every team, but whatever.

Please note that due to the way things are coded, Manny Acta will be the manager for EVERY Minor League team, and Zim will be the bench coach for EVERY team if the manager gets tossed.

Happy to help. I actually figured out how to change the All-Star team managers. It's right there in the manager part of the database. I think for my mod, rather than looking at Mike Hargrove and Jim Leyland forever, I'm going to go with Joe Torre for the AL and Bobby Cox for the NL. It pits two of the best mangers of the 90s in each ASG.

Still plugging away here. Manager photos have been completed, and now I'm into the most tedious part of all - data entry. Some of the entries that I've seen from players that already exist in the 94 mod were kinda meh, so I'm going through everything. 

To give you an idea as to how time consuming this is, I've been at it for 7 days and have only made it up to Houston in MVPedit. But I'm still working on things. After this, it'll be audio, and then I can get into the creative details, like frontend art and stadium pictures. 

Also, regarding the bench coach cyberface, it looks like even if I changed the information in the database, it resets itself after opening the game, so it doesn't look like there's a way to do that. It just returns back to Default Default. Oh well. I was also trying to find a way to change the faces on the umpires to get a little more diversity, but I haven't been able to find that yet.

Another discovery. I'm adding stats to the game and keeping the original year. For example, Bernie Williams will have debuted in 1991 rather than 2002 like in the MVP 94 mod's stats. If you use TyWiggins' fantastic Schedule Updater, you can roll back the year on your dynasty to 1998 and the stats will pick up right there, going from 1997 to 1998. I did a test run to confirm this.

image.thumb.png.2aaae4179a809afb62861a3980dec13e.png

I also confirmed that even though I switched the Astros and Dodgers around in the game, guys like Craig Biggio will still say HOU in their stats and guys like Mike Piazza will still have LA in their stats.

Another thing I did was create a new facial hair template for the generic faces. Now I've enabled things so that anybody with a generic face will now have a different goatee option, where it's not connected at the sides. I'll upload a photo when I'm finished, but it'll overwrite one of the mustache options.

altgoatee.jpg

1 hour ago, andy82 said:

Nice to see that my shocking original mod is recieving a much needed overhaul! Look forward to seeing the finished product :)

Hey great to see you here! I've honestly been working on this mod since before you released yours! I saw that you posted one and I was amazed at the quality. It's seriously great work. I just didn't want to lose all the time I put in making my own, so I'm still making my own tweaks. Guess I'm just stubborn like that. :D

I'm having a hard time deciding what to do with the legendary teams right now. I could leave them as is, I could have the 1999 Futures Stars (since the Futures Game wasn't around until 1999), I could have the '27 Yankees and '06 Cubs, I could bring in the 2001 Mariners, or... something. I don't know. Just looking for input because I'm stumped as to what to do.

7 minutes ago, BallFour said:

Yeah. Just not sure how to do it because I can't find good high quality photos of the 1997 teams, which kinda sucks.

Let me throw this at you. If someone wanted to use the 1997 Indians or Marlins all they would have to do is load up the 1997 mod.

Archived