BallFour's MVP Baseball 1998

BallFour

Thanks! The overlay in that demo still needs to be adjusted the best I'm able because it's technically the classic overlay. The game was played at the Seibu Dome, which used to be the Metropolitan Stadium classic stadium. The standard game overlay is much better.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, bwburke94 said:

Overlay is a bit weird, especially with the Yankees' background color making some text unreadable.

As Y4L said, it's still a work in progress. Also, in my previous post, I explained that it was an issue with the Classic Stadiums overlay and that it wouldn't appear in a game with a non-Classic stadium. I'm still working on playing with that overlay or using an overlay closer to the MVP Baseball 2005 default so that it can show up properly. Fear not! I will be sure to fix things before the release.

And yes, those stadiums are done by Salva, who did incredible work. However, because of an issue in the visual file, I may have to create my own versions of these stadiums. Otherwise, you'll see the Tampa Bay Rays logo in the dugouts in Seibu Dome. I'm a bit limited because of the errors.

I managed to make a couple fixes with the Seibu Dome! I was able to make it a little more true to life. You can really see outside when in the dome, so I added some scenery beyond the bleachers, and I fixed the color of the sliding pits to match the pitcher's mound.

image.thumb.png.928812afcb39144b4af058fd92289629.png

• 2 weeks later...

Did a little bit of fine tuning and searched the entire player database I'm working with. Found about 10 players that I inadvertently created twice. Usually it was just having the same player on both the AAA and AA team or something like that. But that's all fixed now! I also found a way to increase the number of letters allowable for a name! Unfortunately you can't do it in MVPEdit, but I found that editing all the database registries will allow you to have a longer name! I've successfully created Eric Stuckenschneider. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to show it in-game and it's especially difficult with the name on back! As you can see, I did get it to show up in MVPEdit, despite the cut-off in game and on the jersey.

image.thumb.png.a6d1c1fcfb0baa124715cce8e673ea81.png

screengrab.thumb.png.f1bf308bb430ddecb2502506ca51f18b.png

• 2 months later...

Well this is frustrating. I've been having a crashing issue that was apparently caused by a roster issue, and I was trying to diagnose things. Due to this, I inadvertently lost the portraits file and the frontend art from what I created. I'm semi-okay with this because the portraits I'm working with are kinda crap (bad Photoshopping, etc.) but it just means I'm gonna need to take a little time to recreate the frontend art. I also need to diagnose and fix the roster problem, so all of this is just a bit frustrating. I do have a backup file that I know works, but it's missing a few updates. 

I'll resume working on things once I'm back from Florida on my wedding/honeymoon, so around early February. Just wanted to provide an update.

EDIT: Fixed the roster issue. Game now no longer crashes. Just have to redo the frontend art. Meh.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This looks amazing mate, sadly as a Dodgers fan (and a Mike Piazza fan) 1998 wasn’t a happy year lol 

The work it would take for a retroactive mod like this is huge and many many thanks buddy. 
Curious though, in your rosters for that year, would Piazza start as a Dodger or a Met  lol

2 hours ago, marty65 said:

Curious though, in your rosters for that year, would Piazza start as a Dodger or a Met  lol

I don't want to jump in here but since I've been keeping track of the progress of this mod since it started I'd thought I'd try to answer this.

Piazza played in 37 games for the Dodgers in 1998, 5 games for the Florida Marlins and 109 games for the New York Mets. This is something Ball Four already knows. It's going to be a good mod and a highly anticipated one.

57 minutes ago, Yankee4Life said:

I don't want to jump in here but since I've been keeping track of the progress of this mod since it started I'd thought I'd try to answer this.

Piazza played in 37 games for the Dodgers in 1998, 5 games for the Florida Marlins and 109 games for the New York Mets. This is something Ball Four already knows. It's going to be a good mod and a highly anticipated one.

Correct! Rosters are going to be current as of Opening Day 1998. So Piazza will be a Dodger. I might include pictures of him as a Marlin or a Met just in the frontend art, but Piazza will be a Dodger to start - along with Paul Konerko and Todd Zeile.

• 5 months later...

Hey everyone. Just checking in so that you know I *am* still working on things. There's one thing I can't make up my mind about and it's pretty silly, but I'd love some input because I can't decide either way. With rosters, I have two choices:

• Set rosters as they are on March 31, 1998 - which is the day that most teams had their opening day
  • Set rosters as they are on April 1, 1998 - which is the day that all the other teams had their opening day

I mention this because two teams that had their opening day on April 1st, the Angels and the Blue Jays, made transactions on April 1st. The Blue Jays signed their Face of the 80s, pitcher Dave Stieb, to a contract so that he could make a comeback. And the Angels released utilityman Tony Phillips from their team and signed pitcher Steve Sparks. So my thing is do I just leave it as a uniform March 31st roster date, or an official opening day roster for every team, which bleeds over into April 1st. 

I'm torn and ultimately I can decide for myself, but I thought I'd open it up to the community to see what you all think.

Archived