New avatar & signature guidelines

Trues

You broke the rules, you added the text to your signature, you know the rules, yet you want me to give you a precise explanation of why your signature was removed? Have you suddenly lost your ability to read?

Oh, and this;

sig5pv.png

has been changed to this;

sig23ey.png

Again.

Oh, I forgot, I need to explain everything. That's right.

Signatures:

1 (one) image maximum size: 475x125 @ 100kb

or

3 (three) lines of text (blank lines included). One line being that displayed on a browser opened to 800px width.

That enough explanation for you?

I don't know what your problem with me is other than the fact that I need to keep babysitting you when you break the rules.

And, for future reference, sure, I could have just have answered your question. But then again, I could also give you a copy of my financial records for the last 5 years. I'm not going to do that. Why? Because it doesn't concern you, that's why. That's also why I didn't answer your question.

If it's any of your business, you'll know about it.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question...how much does three lines of text times ten posts...thats 30 lines of text...so, how much does 30 lines of text slow down the page loading time?

Depends on the user's bandwidth, among other things.

I think we should remove the new sig rules though. There not going to kill the site. We're on a new server now and everything is running smoothly. Maybe we can start off with three lines of text and a sig. If everything runs smoothly, then we can go back to animations, and then music. That way if anything gets to slow, we know where to stop.

I think that members should concentrate more on the meat of the site rather than the frills.

Sigs are a distraction. They clutter up thread pages. When trying to read a thread you have to scroll through sig after sig and if sigs have both text and an image it is hard to determine what is a post and what is a shout out.

Do we need larger sigs? No

Can sigs have both text and an image? Sure, add the text to your image.

Do we need animated sigs? Probably as much as we need flashing text in posts.

Do we need sigs with audio? Only if you are going to record your post for the visually impaired.

Are you going to leave if the sig rules aren't changed? No, because they are a frill. They aren't the reason why people visit this site.

I have a question...how much does three lines of text times ten posts...thats 30 lines of text...so, how much does 30 lines of text slow down the page loading time?

It's not about speed.

It's about making threads easy to read.

GIVE 'EM HELL MARK!

GIVE 'EM HELL MAN!!!

lol

Swinging Soriano -- ur what neo is to the matrix. The chosen one. maybe ur the one who's here to make the difference.

maybe your "The One"....

If I'm the one that means I'm also Jesus because of the religious symbolism, that's a hell of a burden there.

Anyway, if youe ever saw soxtalk.com (a white sox site) then you'll know why our sigs are small. It just gets ridiculous after a while with some people.

I think a sig competition, that does nothing with modding should be no excuse to create exemptions for the rules. BUT, it doesn't matter what I think, I don't own this place. Since I don't own this place, I don't make the rules. Abide by the rules, everything is fine.

I know that the sigs, sig making and sig competitions have nothing to do with modding. We all know that. But the sigs, sig making and sig competitions are a part of the Mvpmods community. This is something that a percentage of the people that visit this website are in to, and I for one will do nothing to discourage their interest in this. They even have their own forum for this, so if you have no interest in this at all, just don't go in the Creative Discussions forum and you will be all set. This also goes for anyone else that has no use for the sigs in here.

SwinginSoriano wrote:

should be no excuse to create exemptions for the rules.

No, this was not geared for an exemption of the sigs/avatar guidelines. This was a temporary grant given to KC AND Tribetime because they were the finalists in the sig competition.

Let me show you exactly what I mean and why you and everyone else is a couple of weeks late complaining about this. Check out this thread right here. I posted this on February 11th in that thread and I'll put it in here so everyone can see it.

Y4L wrote on 2-11-05:

This will be closing very soon. And with KC in front by a 33-20 score, it looks as if he's going to pull this off.

When TT thought of the idea of the three round sig competition, he said that maybe a custom title can be given to the winner of this. Well, as you can see, KC (a Random Hero) and Tribetime (JoBoo) already have custom titles. So they really did not need that. So, this is what we decided to do as a prize for the winner and the runner up:

The winner (most likely KC) will be able to display two sigs in his profile up to opening day of the baseball season, which according to a counter on MLB. com is in 49 days. So, KC can have two sigs (regulation size for Mvpmods of course) in his profile until then. He can change them every day if he so desires. It's his choice.

The runner up (most likely Tribetime) can have the exact same thing except for him it will be for only 30 days and not until opening day.

Any questions as to why two people can have two sigs on display at once can send a PM to me to ask why.

Thank you everyone who participated in this contest.

Check and see what I have in bold print. This has been in effect since Feb 11. Why we are hearing about this now is crazy. Go look at KC's sig now. He only has one sig now because people don't bother to read what I wrote in that thread. He's not pulling anything over on anyone. He earned this. And like I said, it is only until opening day.

I asked people to send me a PM about this if they had any questions as to why KC had the right to have two sigs. I don't know who complained to KC and I don't want to know. I'm trying to end this here.

SwinginSoriano finished up with:

Anyway, if youe ever saw soxtalk.com (a white sox site) then you'll know why our sigs are small. It just gets ridiculous after a while with some people.

No, I never saw Soxtalk.com. And I won't. What the *(&^*& does Soxtalk.com have to do with this website? They do their own thing over there and we run the site the way we run it. And that's all I'll say about that.

NYM06 wrote:

Well I still think we should be able to have a sig and a little bit of text. That's my opinion though.

How many times do you have to say this?

Krawhitham wrote:

I asked a question and you rambled on about it was between him and and staff member. You know you could have just answered the question

Y4L had no problem doing so

Kraw, Mark is probably one of the best admins we got in here. He has his own way of doing things and I respect him a lot. This guy is nothing but an asset around here. I don't like to speak for other staff members, especially when there are questions about why one person does something and the other guy doesn't. But maybe, if it were me, I would be wondering why this issue with KC's sig is coming up at this time. I mean, KC won the sig contest in early February. Now people notice? I'd look at it like this: "why are these questions being asked now?"

SwinginSoriano finished up with:

Quote:

No, I never saw Soxtalk.com. And I won't. What the *(&^*& does Soxtalk.com have to do with this website? They do their own thing over there and we run the site the way we run it. And that's all I'll say about that.

That was an example of a place where sigs went wrong, over here massive, multiple sigs + text isn't allowed. I was only praising the way you guys run things here, sorry.

Kraw, Mark is probably one of the best admins we got in here.

Opinions are wonderfull things

Is he better than Trues - NO

Is he better than you - NO

Is he better than Five - NO

Is he better than Carter - NO

that puts him at the bottom of the list I believe

He goes out of his way to belittle me every chance he gets, he reminds me of a little man on a power trip. It is not like this is the 1st time he has had a problem with me

I'd look at it like this: "why are these questions being asked now?"

KC had a large sig for a while, I asked about it. Carter set me straight (well almost, he said for a limited time)

I then noticed his sig was back to a normal size, I assumed (I know I know) the limited time was up. He then had text with his sig. So as a test I added text to my sig "EAGE is evil" (and it is, it will currupt big files every once in a while)

MarkB pulled the plug on my sig, so I came back to this thread for follow up questions. MarkB felt the need to chime in, belittle my question and not answer it. (how is that a "one of the best admins")

I then asked why it was big damn secret

He took that as another chance to belittle me and make me look like an *** (yep "one of the best")

I have no problem with KC's sig, I do not follow the sig threads. So I did not know it was part of the prize for winning. You being a true admin answered my follow up questions. It would had been a complete dead issue (since I now know it was the contest prize) if MarkB would have either been a good admin and answered the question of at the very least not been a **** to me

Maybe I'm wrong but I do not feel we should have to follow the sig threads for updated site rules. So I asked about it is the offical thread, which seemed to set MarkB off.

Opinions are wonderfull things

Is he better than Trues - NO

Is he better than you - NO

Is he better than Five - NO

Is he better than Carter - NO

that puts him at the bottom of the list I believe

Indeed, they are. Yankee4Life has his, you have yours. In all honesty, I don't give a damn. In my mind, I'm not better than anybody. I'm not better than Yankee4Life, I'm not better than Trues, I'm not better than any of the other staff on this site, I'm not better than you, I'm not better than NYM91/NYM06, I'm not better than the homeless guy who I can see from my window right now begging for a few pennies to maybe get a cup of coffee, if he's lucky, on a cold, wet, windy morning. I'm no better than anyone walking the face of this planet, and they are no better than me. Who are we to judge other people? You're probably wondering as you're reading this what my point is. My point is that no matter what other people think of me, I really don't give a flying ****. Sure, it's a little more pleasant if people are civil to each other, but in your case, since you seem incapable of that with me, why should I be civil with you any more? For whatever you think my opinion is of you, I can honestly say that I don't have a problem with you as you think. I really don't. I do my job here as Trues wishes. He lays down the rules for the site, I try to ensure they are followed, no matter who I'm dealing with. You may have a problem with me, that's fine. But in future, don't come around here treating me like ****, then start crying and complaining when you get treated in the same way.

He goes out of his way to belittle me every chance he gets, he reminds me of a little man on a power trip. It is not like this is the 1st time he has had a problem with me

I do? That's news to me. If I belittle you, it's because you've set yourself up for it by asking stupid questions, poking your nose where it doesn't belong or flying off the handle without knowing the full facts, among other things. But, yeah, I belittle you. I belittle you by sending PM's encouraging you to ignore the amount of idiots that annoy you on the forums, or by trying to be at least civil to you in my dealings with you, no matter how many times you've accused me of being on power trips or picking on you, purposefully deleting your uploads when they didn't meet the set criteria for uploads in the first place or bugging the hell out of other staff members previously. And let's not forget, this isn't the first time you've had a problem with a member of staff, is it? Or should I make that plural? Members of staff. Yep, that door revolves quite nicely, doesn't it?

KC had a large sig for a while, I asked about it. Carter set me straight (well almost, he said for a limited time)

I then noticed his sig was back to a normal size, I assumed (I know I know) the limited time was up. He then had text with his sig. So as a test I added text to my sig "EAGE is evil" (and it is, it will currupt big files every once in a while)

Right, so you tried to point out that KC's signature was breaking the rules (or so you assumed) by breaking a rule yourself? Nice logic.

MarkB pulled the plug on my sig, so I came back to this thread for follow up questions.

Did it ever occur to you that this could have been done via PM with any of the staff? If you don't want to discuss it with me, why not Yankee4Life? Why not Five? Why not Carter? Why not Trues?

MarkB felt the need to chime in, belittle my question and not answer it. (how is that a "one of the best admins")

I then asked why it was big damn secret

He took that as another chance to belittle me and make me look like an *** (yep "one of the best")

I "felt the need to chime in"? Wow, you can sense feelings via telephone lines now? I must be missing something with today's technology. The fact is that it didn't concern you. All you need to worry about it making sure you stay within the boundaries for the rules of the site and you'll be fine. We have plenty of staff that can take care of any problems that occur, as and when we know about them. If someone breaks the rules, they will be dealt with by a staff member. We don't need someone running around asking why user X gets away with something while he/she can't. Like I said in my previous post, should I give you my financial details? Do you need to know what I've been spending my money on, or where I've been receiving money from? No, you don't, so why would I tell you about it? You're not a kingpin on this site. You do some very good work for the game, yes, but that doesn't mean you are entitled to know everything that happens on the site. In this case, the fact is that if you had actually looked for a reason for the situation instead of jumping to conclusions and assuming, then you would have found the answers to the questions you were asking. And as far as my "[taking] that as another chance to belittle [ you ] and make [ you ] look like an ***", if that's true, then I didn't have to do too much to succeed, did I? You might want to think about that.

I have no problem with KC's sig, I do not follow the sig threads. So I did not know it was part of the prize for winning. You being a true admin answered my follow up questions. It would had been a complete dead issue (since I now know it was the contest prize) if MarkB would have either been a good admin and answered the question of at the very least not been a [naughty word] to me

Maybe I'm wrong but I do not feel we should have to follow the sig threads for updated site rules. So I asked about it is the offical thread, which seemed to set MarkB off.

You don't have to follow signature threads for updated site rules. Updates to site rules will be posted in the site rules thread and the site rules (which you can access from the main menu on the left) will be updated. Then, and only then, will the site rules be updated. This was a privilege that was extended as part of a competition. Unless you enter the competition, you don't have to worry about what the prizes are, so don't go copying other users because you decide to assume that because they are doing it, it must be OK. If everyone jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge, would you do it?

Finally, going back to my first paragraph, as soon as I finish checking out what's been happening here, I'm going out to do some shopping, and I'll be passing Chris, the homeless guy, on the way. I'll tell him that the money I give him is from you. Want me to take a message from him and pass it onto you?

Peace.

[taking] that as another chance to belittle [you] and make [you] look like an ***",

you might not want to use the [ you ] tags because I was just sitting there wondering what the **** I had done to be brought into this

but anyway perhaps you might want to follow your own advice

Did it ever occur to you that this could have been done via PM

you might not want to use the [ you ] tags because I was just sitting there wondering what the [naughty word] I had done to be brought into this

As Hory said, Mark used the [ you ] tag probably not knowingly and that has put everyone's username in that spot.

So don't sweat it if you see your name there... It was a mistake.

As Hory said, Mark used the [ you ] tag probably not knowingly and that has put everyone's username in that spot.

Indeed, it was. Didn't know there was a [ you ] tag in the first place. I'll edit it now.

Apologies for any confusion. :)

All this internet wizardry is too much for a fella sometimes....

Archived