Site Issues

Trues

I have multiple reasons and could go on forever

here are a few

1st no matter how you slice it, it will be a popularity contest

2nd to be in a HOF you need to be retired, no longer making any mods. This is not like real sports where your talents decline and you retire. If you are retired as a modder, you QUIT. I'm against rewarding quitters

3rd since it is a popularity contest some will be offended, either because they were not included, not included fast enough, or **** off because someone else was included

It is just another fight and a way to split loyalties

A few points:

1. From the examples given (by Y4L in the shoutbox), I assumed this would be an active hall of fame, where modders would be celebrated whilst still working.

2. I'd hoped that by having a wide variety of veteran posters and modders in on the voting process, and by requiring a defense of nominations, we could cut some of the popularity contest out of things.

3. I come round these parts just to see the drama and the in-fighting. You mean the rest of you still play the game?

Seriously, though, your critique is valid. My suggestion was meant as a way to alleviate some of your concerns, if we did institute an HOF, not really a proposal to have an HOF in the first place (others had done that before me).

--Eric

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see where Kraw is coming from.

Either if this happens, or it doesn't, regardless of personal feelings, etc.....MVP Baseball has the most talented modders on the internet, and a HOF would just be to show them off.

If this doesn't happen, on behalf of this site, we as members, are VERY lucky to have been blessed by all these great mods, and the guys behind them.

All I'm thinking of is the hard feelings that were created by the creation of the Mod Squad and Forum Fanatics teams a while back... and there weren't even as many people who'd want in at that point...

...this would only be worse, I think. It's a nice idea, to reward people for this that and the other thing, but when it comes right down to it, human nature dictates that more TROUBLE would likely arise than GOOD things.

"The path to hell is paved with good intentions."

Well I can only speak for myself, but I've been contacted by people on numerous occasions wondering why such things haven't been updated and changed since the 11th century or whenever they were originally created.

I don't think it would be possible to make two teams of 25 that would have 25 modders and 25 forum-users that wouldn't leave people out and make some of them sad/feel-left-out (lol). Even if they didn't say it, and just felt it, that's not a good thing.

I guess I just don't see the point of creating a new feature on the site that's whole purpose is to be exclusionary and elitist. I know I know, you can say it's "celebrating" someone... but by definition, it is "un-celebrating" everyone else. :)

It's like being the OTHER guy on the poster of Michael Jordan pwning someone. :lol:

The message to some of those folks who'd feel slighted: Be a better modder / forum member. If you want to be celebrated, you have to actually do something positive that's worthy of being celebrated.

I'm screwed.

lol, seriously though: That's the problem, in my eyes. It's saying "If you're not in, you're not good enough." So, we're insulting people if they're not in. Oh yes, you said "well, there will be future votes, so they have that hope" - that just sounds like trouble... opening up for even MORE things for there to be problems about, really.

But hey - like I said - if this idea happens, you have CERTAINLY provided an EXCELLENT framework, Eric. As well as others here. If it's GOING to happen, I hope it happens somewhat like you laid it out.

I have multiple reasons and could go on forever

here are a few

1st no matter how you slice it, it will be a popularity contest

2nd to be in a HOF you need to be retired, no longer making any mods. This is not like real sports where your talents decline and you retire. If you are retired as a modder, you QUIT. I'm against rewarding quitters

3rd since it is a popularity contest some will be offended, either because they were not included, not included fast enough, or **** off because someone else was included

It is just another fight and a way to split loyalties

I acctually like the idea of this. KG this could make people want to be in the hof and they might work harder or make mods. Also to build on DJ's idea we should also elect people that come up with ideas that become great.

yikes, who knew one little comment i made would churn up this much talk!

let's clear up a few things:

1. i only brought it up again because i thought it'd be a good section to have, particularly new members. has anyone looked at the member list? try going through that and making any sense of anything. i just thought it'd be nice to have a section where these guys can go to read up a little bit about who's who around here, with actual descriptions about what they do or did.

2. i like eric's criteria. we could have an ongoing pool of members who are eligible, and elect a certain number during each time frame. run it like the HOF, where you need to garner a certain number of votes to get in.

3. of course it's a popularity contest! whenever you have people voting, it's nothing but that no matter how you want to paint it. but for those guys who are gonna get offended, to hell with them. they need to grow a little thicker skin and stop acting like little girls. the intent of this is not to put anyone on a pedal stool nor is it meant to degrade anyone. it's just meant to display what talents have come through this site through the years. it's actually intended to be something positive. it's no different having a featured download. if and when you get it, then great, if not, there's nothing to be offended by it. someone HAS to get in first, and that means someone HAS to get in later. just have some patience. griping about it does absolutely nothing for anyone. but if we really wanna make sure it runs fine, just make a criteria that you can't not vote for someone because you dislike them.

4. we could add more criteria before you qualify for it. i don't know what, but something. maybe a certain number of posts, or certain number of downloads, or a certain number of mods created, or a certain number of times you helped someone in the forums...who knows, but some sort of criteria before you qualify.

5. being retired or not active for an extended period of time where we can pretty much consider you retired, should be a criteria to automatically qualify you. but i don't think you need to be retired to qualify. if that makes any sense. not only based on what kraw has already said, but again because of the intent of it. it's meant to display the talents here. from a new members point of view, it'd be nice to know that section that sean o is a guy who does stadiums...

6. as for how to divide it up, maybe create sections (stadiums, cyberfaces, classics, utilities, or whatever) and elect a certain number of people for each section. who knows about qualifying for more than one section, but you can add input here. otherwise this should allow a good number on the initial vote, but doesn't mean someone gets in on every vote.

i think that sums it up for now.

4. we could add more criteria before you qualify for it. i don't know what, but something. maybe a certain number of posts, or certain number of downloads, or a certain number of mods created, or a certain number of times you helped someone in the forums...who knows, but some sort of criteria before you qualify.

I think this would be a mistake. 3000 posts is much easier to get than 3000 hits.

I think that depending on the nominator to prepare a proper defense of their nomination would suffice, and if others had additional information to support or negate that defense, they could reply to the original post.

--Eric

now i never said number of posts was a good criteria. the reason i mentioned these is to create more objective measures to qualify. when you start getting into more subjective qualifications, i think that's where you'll start getting the bickering.

but whatever is fine. i just thought it'd be a nice section for new members to read up on.

I think that if you stack enough subjective measures together, the case can be overwhelming though.

My opening five might be something along the lines of Trues, RGlass, Pirate, Hory and whatever poster was the best of whom was nominated. Maybe we shouldn't even nominate posters.

Even as I type that, though, I can think of a bevy of other people who overwhelmingly deserve more credit for the work they do / have done, and I know that the arguments put forward by nominators would make me consider others as well. I think it would be this time next year before we ran out of people who obviously deserve to be celebrated.

--Eric

I would think that a member title with the mod you are mostly associated with would fit well, as it has been seen with many people. I had changed my member title on request because of it.

Anywho, I wonder what happened to the Sportsline scoreboard and the MLB feeds?

Question, why do people have to be retired to be inducted? You don't have to be retired to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and this should be the same.

Some combination of member and modder voting would work well I think. And Buck O'Neill should absolutely be in.

Archived