Kgbaseball's Roster Thread

kgbaseball

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

Maybe I'm being biased because I've been his friend since junior high, but I think Ryan Braun needs a ratings upgrade. I know it's hard to justify giving a rookie a ratings boost because he hasn't proven he can play well over a few seasons, but his numbers over 58 games (not that small a sample) are quite impressive: .350 BA, 18 HR, 50 RBI, .400 OBP and .662 SLG. What'ya think, kg?

Also, as a Dodgers fan, I was a little disappointed Brad Penny's stats have remained unchanged for quite a few updates in any roster update. His Ks are down because he has improved movement and control with his splitter, which he doesnt have in the game. That splitter causes a lot more groundballs then Penny has traditionally gotten as a fly ball pitcher.

Just some thoughts. THanks.

Hey, KG.

Since I'm trying to make classic CAPs, I'd like to know how you (or anyone else for that matter) determine ratings for when you make CAPs. Stuff like speed, power, contact, etc. Do you use formulas, or do you just go with your gut based on scouting reports, the stats, what you see in person?

Hello,

Maybe I'm being biased because I've been his friend since junior high, but I think Ryan Braun needs a ratings upgrade. I know it's hard to justify giving a rookie a ratings boost because he hasn't proven he can play well over a few seasons, but his numbers over 58 games (not that small a sample) are quite impressive: .350 BA, 18 HR, 50 RBI, .400 OBP and .662 SLG. What'ya think, kg?

I'm right with you on that one. I'm lucky enough to be a Brewers fan, and I get to watch Braun play every day. He's been absolutely incredible with the bat so far, and I think my ratings do his justice for now. He's been raking for 2 months now, but I think that's too small a sample size to make his hitting ratings among the best in the league. If he finishes strong, he'll almost certainly get a big boost after the season's over.

Also, as a Dodgers fan, I was a little disappointed Brad Penny's stats have remained unchanged for quite a few updates in any roster update. His Ks are down because he has improved movement and control with his splitter, which he doesnt have in the game. That splitter causes a lot more groundballs then Penny has traditionally gotten as a fly ball pitcher.

Just some thoughts. THanks.

Penny has a splitter in my roster. Thanks for your input on Braun and Penny, I appreciate it. Keep it coming!

in your next update i think you should put Wangs slider at 11-5 instead of 12-6.

Consider it done.

Hey, KG.

Since I'm trying to make classic CAPs, I'd like to know how you (or anyone else for that matter) determine ratings for when you make CAPs. Stuff like speed, power, contact, etc. Do you use formulas, or do you just go with your gut based on scouting reports, the stats, what you see in person?

I've been doing this roster thing for awhile now, so I have a pretty good idea of what numbers will produce what rating the game gives the player. highlight_reel has a fantastic CAP tutorial over at The Sports Lodge; I suggest you check that out. It goes into extreme detail about how to rate players based on their stats.

The Blue Jays have signed left-hander Mark Redman to a Minor League deal, and the pitcher started for Triple-A Syracuse on Tuesday night. The 33-year-old southpaw was 0-4 with an 11.63 ERA in six games with the Braves this year, but Atlanta released Redman in May. In 2006, Redman was an All-Star with the Royals, and he won a career-high 14 games with the Marlins in 2003.

KG

can you change Melky Cabrera first position to CF and increase a little more the defending number?

Thanks

Yeah, I've wondered about this too, along with his offensive stats, he's become about a .283 career hitter in a fair amount of at bats now, but I don't know much about adjusting contact/power.

As for defense I would say about:

Fielding: 80

Range: 90

Arm Strength: 85

Accuracy: 90

And have you adjusted Andy Phillips at all? I know it's tough to argue upping his batting number with him being a .246 career hitter but he's played great defense this year.

KG, one thing I noticed, and I know you're a Brewers fan and all, but the Cubs pitching on my game is ALWAYS ranked in the lower 20's but yet there pitching staff is rated as the second best in the league this year next to San Diego. Any chance that the good year all those guys are putting together can be reflected in their ratings?

KG, one thing I noticed, and I know you're a Brewers fan and all, but the Cubs pitching on my game is ALWAYS ranked in the lower 20's but yet there pitching staff is rated as the second best in the league this year next to San Diego. Any chance that the good year all those guys are putting together can be reflected in their ratings?

If having a good year boosts the rating, then those players having a bad year should have their rating adjusted as well.

Personally, I don't believe in adjusting a rating based on a partial season, even one season for that matter. Look at Jorge Posada, want to make him awesome with much higher contact numbers?

I don't believe I'm biased at all towards any team. The only reason I can imagine the Cubs being low is because they have a few rookies/young players that haven't really proven themselves for a season or more. Angel Guzman, Carlos Marmol, Rich Hill, Sean Marshall all fall under that list.