Moderator Contest

Yankee4Life

Trues asked me to write this up for him because he's been very busy lately. He was originally going to write this out here for everyone to see because after all, it's his site, but it has been pretty hectic for him. Anyways, here goes.

MODERATOR CONTEST

What this is: A contest that is open for members who would like to see what it is like to be a moderator on this board.

Requirements: A 250 word or less letter by the contestant stating why they want to be a moderator and why you think you can be a good one. Submit your letter to Y4L via a PM or email at yankee4life@mvpmods.com. Also, finalists will be given Mvpmods trivia questions to answer.***

Who is eligible for this? If your join date is ON OR BEFORE June 1st, 2006, you are eligible for this.

What the winner will be doing:

A. The winner will have two full weeks as a moderator and will work along side the staff.

B. The winner will not have the ability to ban, but will have the ability to lock threads.

C. The winner will be given all complaint e-mails (NOT be given an e-mail account, we just forward him the complaints) and he will be in charge of answering them. This is of course if a complaint comes up.

D. He also will be given a copy of all "reported posts" and he will be in charge of dealing with those.

E. Any minor infractions that come up, like a big avatar or a big sig or things like that, they will deal with the user to resolve them.

Again, if you have been a member here on or before June 1, 2006, you are eligible for this. That includes anyone here. No one is requiring you to participate, this is strictly voluntary.

This contest, to be fair for everyone, will be open now until midnight, February 28th, 2007.

***The trivia part of this contest will be questions asked about the website. They will consist of questions about the site, the staff and the members.

Good luck!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one question...

since my title is spammer am i not eligible for the contest. i might not even enter im just curiouse in case i do enter

You joined March 13, 2006. You are all set.

After the 2 weeks, if the winner does a good job or whatever, is there a possibility of becoming a full time mod?

That is something Trues will decide.

This contest allows one individual the oppotunity to work along side the site's staff for a two week period. It's not an easy job but it's an experience that some may wish to compete for. If you are not interested, that's fine. There are however some members that are interested in becoming a member of the staff and this may be their chance. Please support us all in this adventure. We ask for your co-operation.

lol what if someone who hates the Yankees locks the Yankee threads. Bad idea, mods.

What if?

What if we just allow those who wish to apply the opportunity to apply without promoting bias in their minds with all this negativity?

I think that's a good idea.

This reads to me less of a contest, and more of a snotty, "If you think you could do a better job, then prove it," type of thing. No thanks. Not interested.

I don't have to want to be president myself to complain about the way he runs the country.

This has nothing to do with what you just said. It was an idea that was introduced by me in one of our staff meetings to promote interest in the site during the offseason. That's it. Now you know. Now you all know. No one is forcing you to participate, but at the same time you don't have to go around putting it down because you don't like it.

No Offense at all, but this just seems like the mods get a break for 2 weeks while the person who wins has to do everything.

We do? We do?? Excuse me for calling you this, but you are an idiot. What the hell do you think we are going to do for the two weeks? Are we going to go on vacation or what? I can't believe I have to answer this, but here goes.

Whoever the winner will be is going to get the opportunity to deal with moderator situations IN HIS OWN WAY. When I said that he will be forwarded all complaint letters and reported posts, that just touched the surface. For example, let's say we get a complaint. I'll read it or someone else on the staff will. Instead of us responding to it, we will give it to the person who won the contest and talk to them about it and get their views on it. How would they handle it? Would they approach it differently? Would they say something in the response that we wouldn't? We will still be working with him, but the final call will be the moderator. We are giving someone an opportunity to work along side of us that has not had the chance.

We are not saying "here, do our work for us because we want a two week break." We wouldn't do that to anyone because then that person would have to deal with jackasses like you all by himself.

I would love to be a mod on the site, but I am honest to god too lazy to type an essay for this. I think I might do a good job seeing as how I have matured over my stay, but my life actually got pretty complicated lately which explains my lack of time being spent on this site (after nearly a year, I went a whole week without being here!). It's a good idea though, and if someone were to lock a thread that wasn't necessary, another moderator would unlock it, right?

To be more tactful, my thought is that someone who overtly wants to be a moderator is usually not the kind of person that makes a good moderator, if you get what I mean.

It is said that power corrupts, but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power.

Archived