The Madcap's Cyberface Previews Thread

TheMadcap

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By using the players real eyes from their photo and superimposing/ blending them into the eyes on the .fsh file. If done right it creates an almost eerily real appearance that is unachievable if using the stock EA eyes. If I hadn't done this my Utley face wouldn't look nearly as sharp as it does. Jogar has been using this technique for awhile now and I was using it but opted for using the 04 style eyes for a bit. With the high-res Pressboxes out this year it really makes using this method a snap. It's a nice little touch that can put an otherwise nice face over the top.

After creating this last night (it took me quite awhile) I was so shocked at what I had managed to achieve. I don't know if you can tell from the pics above or not but this face is so far and above anything that I have done before and the 04 headshape is about a 97% match. When looking at it in-game it honestly looks real. The texture holds up so amazingly well (They usually do with 04 faces, why I'm not totally sure).

Yeah the '04 based faces usually come out a little brighter and the reason the textures come out so much more clean than the '05s is because you are basically using twice the texture as the full '05 face. Common sense really. You have half a face with the same amount of pixels. So you are essentially doubling your resolution on the face. Some of 'em turn out crazy detailed if you have a good portrait. Like your Utley. Sweet job BTW.

If we could OEdit the '04 faces, I don't even think cyber face creators would even use the '05s. But since the '04 face shapes are almost never good for a new face, the '05 style is usually the best route. At the cost of a little detail, a life like head shape can make or break a good face.

Thank you Thr33nil. I try to use the 04's whenever possible. Lots of times it just doesn't makes sense because it is SO hard to find a close match but when you do, coupled with the new Pressbox photos and a fairly solid understanding of Photoshop, Look out!

I understand the difference between the two styles of faces and I understand completely why the 04 look so good but what I couldn't completely figure out is why some of the 05 style ones look so good in photoshop but loose so much when made to cover the headshape. I guess the texture is just being stratched/pulled and causing loss of detail whereas having the same ammount of texture and only having to cover 1/2 a face with it in addition to that face not being able to be re-shaped, causing the texture to get all distorted, makes the difference.

Thats pretty much it. You nailed it.

When working on an '05 face at a square resolution (eg. 512X512) the face sustains a lot of detail. But when you smash it down to the 256X512 it literally cuts the texture quality in half. It sucks when you have a face looking awesome then after smashing it to form, it turns to mud.

could someone give a quick tutorial on using 04 faces as a base?

it should be exactly the same. just working with half a face texture. just unpack an 04 texture and work on that. no face modelling though, so you have to line things up perfectly. though i will use oedit to preview the face to make sure it lines up correctly. saves me the trouble of having to install the face every time just to test it.

it should be exactly the same. just working with half a face texture. just unpack an 04 texture and work on that. no face modelling though, so you have to line things up perfectly. though i will use oedit to preview the face to make sure it lines up correctly. saves me the trouble of having to install the face every time just to test it.

but do you cut the headshot in half (the pressbox photo)?

Archived