State of MVPMods, January 2008

Kccitystar

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see how it is now. You wouldn't feel any regret if I just lay down and died, huh? Huh? :D

Me and Timay both recognize that we hate each other's guts and think that the other one is the biggest idiot and loser we have ever met. Which means we have something in common, I think. So, I'll just ignore him if he ignores me, and it should all be dandy. Besides, even if I tried, I wouldn't be able to be less active. It's that addictive.

Palindrome of the day:

Huh, bob and Anna, huh?

Huh, Anna? DNA. Bob? Huh?

Or:

Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog.

I don't hate your guts or anything. I didn't come here to start trouble, and I never asked to be unbanned or anything, I believe the admin just saw maybe that I had matured over my 2 year break.

I really hope you and I could just post on this website without butting heads, and possibly co-exist in these forums, we sure as hell showed we couldn't on eamods, and that was baby stuff, treat me as if I am the new guy here, I will try you like a vet, with respect.

I don't hate your guts or anything. I didn't come here to start trouble, and I never asked to be unbanned or anything, I believe the admin just saw maybe that I had matured over my 2 year break.

I really hope you and I could just post on this website without butting heads, and possibly co-exist in these forums, we sure as hell showed we couldn't on eamods, and that was baby stuff, treat me as if I am the new guy here, I will try you like a vet, with respect.

That's how I am going to treat you. You have a clean slate here, and I look forward to getting to know you.

That's perfect.

This is my idea of how this system would work:

- Take the concept of informing the banned member what post gave him a ban and what rule he broke via PM and make a thread out of it in the Disabled List

-The Disabled List would make every forum a user visits read-only except said forum (DL) where he can post

- 15 Day Ban restricts posting ability

- 60 Day Ban restricts forum viewing to just the DL

how's that

- Take the concept of informing the banned member what post gave him a ban and what rule he broke via PM and make a thread out of it in the Disabled List

-The Disabled List would make every forum a user visits read-only except said forum (DL) where he can post

how's that

Love it all, except for the part about making a pubicly viewable issue out of why someone was "sent to the DL." That is just begging for arguments and backlash and questioning of the rules every time someone is "disciplined."

Also, the whole concept of appeals, etc. makes it sound like this business is being taken WAY too seriously.

Love it all, except for the part about making a pubicly viewable issue out of why someone was "sent to the DL." That is just begging for arguments and backlash and questioning of the rules every time someone is "disciplined."

Also, the whole concept of appeals, etc. makes it sound like this business is being taken WAY too seriously.

well, in every forum that i saw there is a ban list.

Obviously a list of people "on the DL" would be readily available... it would be impossible to hide, for it would be everyone in the certain "group" with D/L-Only access.

The users w/ the 'title': "On the Disabled List" for instance... or maybe "On 15 Day D/L" or "On 60 Day D/L".

I just mean making threads SPECIFICALLY about why there were disabled. I'm not saying that it won't be talked about IN the D/L forums... I'm just saying by SPECIFICALLY starting a thread every time some gets "disabled"... some people might NOT want to talk about it - or even have it widely known that it happened at all. For those people - they could simply stay away from the D/L Forum, for the duration of their "diasblement." (lol). Of course - that would mean the "titles" idea wouldn't work (it would kill the 'secrecy' of a "disablement," if a user so desired it).

So, for my own benefit - a summary of this idea so far:

Instead of the typical "suspensions" and "bans" that have been being handed out around here, a special group/forum would be created called "The Disabled List."

All users would be able to read and post in the Disabled List Area, but members who are "Disabled" would be able to READ ALL threads, but only POST in the Disabled List Area.

Truly minor infractions could be met with a "Day to Day" tag, meaning (probably) something along the lines of a 1 to 5 day trip to the Disabled List.

Medium-sized infractions would be met with the "15-Day Disabled List" tag.

Major or repeated issues would bring on the "60-Day Disabled List" tag.

And actual "bans" would be reserved for advertisers, hackers, or some kind of TRULY special case. (What I'm saying, is that ACTUAL bans should almost never happen).

Does all this sound about right?

The Disabled List will only be seen by staff and members who are on the D/L, not by the public.

haha it'd be great if you admin fellows filled in funny *** injuries as reason for the trip to the DL.

Like X person was sent to the 15 day DL after falling down the stairs while sleep walking....

oh wait nvm that actually happened

The problem about making the modders moderators is that the reason the moderators became moderators was because of their maturity and ability to handle situations... if you just suddenly give it to the modders, it would probably hurt more than help, because as with any group of people, it has its share of capable, responsible members fit to be mods, and the immature, easily angered... idiots. You can't just blindly give power to a group of people because they contribute one aspect of the site. I can easily see more chaos erupting, not necessarily "site-war" related. (I still can't believe that even happened. It's so incredibly stupid and pointless, I can't believe people actually started "taking sides." That's a different issue, though.) If anything, modders should have more say in site development and issues, but not necessarily suddenly handed most moderating privileges. I think that's unnecessary and won't make the overall state of the site much better.

And before people start putting out "all hail KC!" posts, think about it all. I'm not saying don't agree with him, you're perfectly entitled, and I defenitely agree with him on plenty of points, but it seems like your just giving blind faith to KC.

Just my 2 cents, but who decides who is a good moderator and who is not? Has anyone met anyone on here personally? You have moderators from as far as the US to the UK. MarkB and Yanks4Life are good moderators, as it may be, they are tough. You have to be with some of the personalities you find on here. I love this site, and have donated to it, but Id never want to be a moderator. Its to much work to come on and scour through all the posts and double and sometimes triple reposted threads with the same questions. I know people get in hurry with wanting an answer to a question, and fail to use the search. Ive done it, hell we all have at one point. This doesnt make you a bad person, and arguing shouldnt get you banned for it. I dont agree with everything the moderators do, but thats just me. I would like, in a perfect world, for all of us to get along, but thats a better description of naive DJEagles.

KC, love the thread and I hope 2008 is a better year for all of us. Id like to see this site take off again, and get back where it was. To have all of the modders come back, and squash old grudges and hard feelings. I am a member of both sites, and I do like both sites. We only have one baseball game that is now 3 years old. Its becoming a classic relic of sorts, lets dont let this site become one as well. With that said, looking forward to some more great mods from everyone.

WB

how's that

That's the idea I have been pitching to Trues. I think the concept is brilliant, and still keeps the offender as a member of the site.

Obviously a list of people "on the DL" would be readily available... it would be impossible to hide, for it would be everyone in the certain "group" with D/L-Only access.

The users w/ the 'title': "On the Disabled List" for instance... or maybe "On 15 Day D/L" or "On 60 Day D/L".

I just mean making threads SPECIFICALLY about why there were disabled. I'm not saying that it won't be talked about IN the D/L forums... I'm just saying by SPECIFICALLY starting a thread every time some gets "disabled"... some people might NOT want to talk about it - or even have it widely known that it happened at all. For those people - they could simply stay away from the D/L Forum, for the duration of their "diasblement." (lol). Of course - that would mean the "titles" idea wouldn't work (it would kill the 'secrecy' of a "disablement," if a user so desired it).

I think that the reason should be explained. For example: (user) insulted (user) or double-account. Then you could always lock the thread.

Obviously a list of people "on the DL" would be readily available... it would be impossible to hide, for it would be everyone in the certain "group" with Disabled List-Only access.

So, for my own benefit - a summary of this idea so far:

Instead of the typical "suspensions" and "bans" that have been being handed out around here, a special group/forum would be created called "The Disabled List."

All users would be able to read and post in the Disabled List Area, but members who are "Disabled" would be able to READ ALL threads, but only POST in the Disabled List Area.

Truly minor infractions could be met with a "Day to Day" tag, meaning (probably) something along the lines of a 1 to 5 day trip to the Disabled List.

Medium-sized infractions would be met with the "15-Day Disabled List" tag.

Major or repeated issues would bring on the "60-Day Disabled List" tag.

And actual "bans" would be reserved for advertisers, hackers, or some kind of TRULY special case. (What I'm saying, is that ACTUAL bans should almost never happen).

Does all this sound about right?

I just wanted to quote this to get it on the most recent page.

The Disabled List will only be seen by staff and members who are on the D/L, not by the public.

The public should not have any access to the "Disabled List". This is a spot for offenders to work on their forum etiquette, without the ridicule from the other members.

I have also pitched the idea of a "Parole Officer" to Trues. A moderator, who only looks after these guys, then when their time is almost up, reports to the general Admins, and gives his opinion on their status.

I know it sounds like it is being taken way to seriously, but having a moderator for just that one part of the overall forum, gives the other Mods/Admins less to worry about.

I think that the reason should be explained. For example: (user) insulted (user) or double-account. Then you could always lock the thread.

Maybe this type of thing would work like this:

While on the Disabled List, your avatar is changed to saying "Day to Day" or "15 Day D/L" or "60 Day D/L" and then your title is the date your stint on the D/L began.

As for the REASON for the "disabling"... like I said - what if the person did NOT want it talked about... I like the idea of simply letting them talk about it in the D/L area if they want to, but not specifically MAKING a thread every time.

Archived