State of MVPMods, January 2008

Kccitystar

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh wait, that thread is from 8 months ago

To everyone else, I plan on working on my "forum ettiquette". I plan on changing my attitude, when moderating the message board. I used to be very approachable, and I would like that distinction back. I don't want problems with anyone, anymore. I just want a quiet "internet" existence.

Anyway, I hope my apologies are a step towards the healing process. I promise you will get no grief from me on my end anymore.

oh wait, that thread is from 8 months ago

Again, you are warned for the last time. I won't take any *(*& from you. NOT YOU. Not now or ever. All you are doing is adding more fuel to the fire.

Get off topic with this crap right now and get it right back on track to what this thread is about.

Cubs720 is to blame for this whole flame thread?

I think that statement is a little inaccurate.

Cubs720 is a highly valued member of both sites and has done a lot for mvp modding. I respect what he says a lot more than most members and staff on this site.

Perhaps you feel that as it is too difficult to attack krawhitham, you go after someone you perceive as weaker.

You can blame ChicagoCubs720 for this because of how he kept this going. Now go back to the shoutbox over there little boy and insult me again!

what the heck are you talking about?

little boy?

why am I to blame for all of this?

you'll have to excuse me for a second, the FBI is on the line. Apparently I've killed JFK and sunk the Titanic.

Cubs720 is to blame for this whole flame thread?

I think that statement is a little inaccurate.

Cubs720 is a highly valued member of both sites and has done a lot for mvp modding. I respect what he says a lot more than most members and staff on this site.

Perhaps you feel that as it is too difficult to attack krawhitham, you go after someone you perceive as weaker.

Hory, will you please for the first time in all your time here stay out of it? Please? I singled him out because he twice had to bring things up about DJ that were not needed. That's why.

And I'm sure you respect him a lot more than some people here because he does his best to put down the site administrators here. And don't tell me he doesn't because I've read it myself. And I do not attack Kraw because I talk things out with him via PM. It has been years since Kraw and I attacked each other and I want to keep it that way. I listen to him and he listens to me. This kid is another story. He's a troublemaker.

Again, this is getting this topic off track. Enough of it. Please.

Hory, will you please for the first time in all your time here stay out of it? Please? I singled him out because he twice had to bring things up about DJ that were not needed. That's why.

And I'm sure you respect him a lot more than some people here because he does his best to put down the site administrators here. And don't tell me he doesn't because I've read it myself. And I do not attack Kraw because I talk things out with him via PM. It has been years since Kraw and I attacked each other and I want to keep it that way. I listen to him and he listens to me. This kid is another story. He's a troublemaker.

Again, this is getting this topic off track. Enough of it. Please.

hmm, here's an idea:

send the punk kid a PM, instead of ripping on him out here

now maybe things can get back on track

You stay out of it right now.

If you want people to stay out of it, then you guys should stop bickering in the public forum. The most annoying thing I've encountered with some particular moderator is their propensity for growling like an attack dog at posters whose opinions they don't want to hear. CC720 may be a rabble rouser, I don't know. But it's happened to me a few times in instances where I was trying to make peace, or help others calmly present their side of what I saw as a valid argument. I'm not a rabble rouser, and it wasn't appreciated.

And yes, I fully expect Y4L to respond with, "You stay out of it right now," to me too.

To respond to the greater question: As I see it, if this site is only about modding a baseball game that we collectively enjoy, then if it shut down and went the way of the dodo, it wouldn't be much of a loss. But I think others, like myself, use the site to cultivate conversations with like-minded people, to build e-relationships, to take part in a community. There was a stretch of around six months where I didn't even play the game, but I still checked in daily to see what SeanO and UncleMo were posting. I suspect that even modders who say they only mod to make their own games better are seeking a sort of personal enrichment by performing their craft and releasing their work.

The actual MVPMods/EAMods sites as entities in and of themselves aren't as important as you all suspect. The game isn't important. If all of our copies of MVP05 (and 04 for those of you still behind the times) suddenly melted today, how many people would still be posting on the site a year from now? I'd wager that there would still be quite a few. What's important, I think, is the community.

In my observation, the problems lately (and perhaps always) have come from a sense of self-importance that many have developed about their role in the site, whether it be as a modder, an admin, a resident grump modder who loves Bender, or a smart-*** with a Roy O-vatar. But in the grand scheme of things, not much of what we does here matters. KC's uni updates won't help him get into college, SeanO's political and SABRmetric arguments won't get him a job on CNN or ESPN, Timay's work in carcinogen studies won't lead to a cure for cancer, and maybe 30 people will ever download my Cecil Cooper cyberface if I'm lucky.

The egos clashing here were built up in a very limited frame, based on abilities to change things in a video game that none of us have the actual right to change, or the moderation of boards related to discussion of such changes. I won't be a hypocrite -- I pumped a silent fist in the air the time that Hory said I was his favorite poster (after I convinced myself that he wasn't using a script that put in the name of whatever user was reading the post -- if it turns out in the end that he was, I may shed a few tears). However, sometimes I get the feeling that the reason there are so many over-inflated egos here (And probably on every message board on the internet. Now that I think about it, also in academia) is because folks have little to claim in their real, non-cyber lives as important or worthwhile.

In essence, the problems here will always exist while everyone involved has this specialized sense of self-importance. Cynic that I am, I don't see it changing much, but perhaps if we keep the fighting to PMs, the bans to a minimum, and are all willing to occasionally admit that we have been wrong, we can find an equilibrium that's satisfactory?

Here's hoping.

Let me say this, and then we can end it.

I understand where Kraw is coming from....WHAT YOU SAY????

I think this argument would be perceived differently, if I wasn't a staff member. If it was just to members have a heated debate, then that would be all it was. But because I am in a position of authority, it looks like I am trying to pull rank.

ChicagoCubs720, check your pms, I understand why you backed Kraw up, but there was no need to haul out the apology thread, that was just emberassing. Sorry about the spelling.

Anyway, please put this thread back on track, I was one of the reasons it got derailed. There was no need for it.

If you want people to stay out of it, then you guys should stop bickering in the public forum. The most annoying thing I've encountered with some particular moderator is their propensity for growling like an attack dog at posters whose opinions they don't want to hear. CC720 may be a rabble rouser, I don't know. But it's happened to me a few times in instances where I was trying to make peace, or help others calmly present their side of what I saw as a valid argument. I'm not a rabble rouser, and it wasn't appreciated.

And yes, I fully expect Y4L to respond with, "You stay out of it right now," to me too.

To respond to the greater question: As I see it, if this site is only about modding a baseball game that we collectively enjoy, then if it shut down and went the way of the dodo, it wouldn't be much of a loss. But I think others, like myself, use the site to cultivate conversations with like-minded people, to build e-relationships, to take part in a community. There was a stretch of around six months where I didn't even play the game, but I still checked in daily to see what SeanO and UncleMo were posting. I suspect that even modders who say they only mod to make their own games better are seeking a sort of personal enrichment by performing their craft and releasing their work.

The actual MVPMods/EAMods sites as entities in and of themselves aren't as important as you all suspect. The game isn't important. If all of our copies of MVP05 (and 04 for those of you still behind the times) suddenly melted today, how many people would still be posting on the site a year from now? I'd wager that there would still be quite a few. What's important, I think, is the community.

In my observation, the problems lately (and perhaps always) have come from a sense of self-importance that many have developed about their role in the site, whether it be as a modder, an admin, a resident grump modder who loves Bender, or a smart-*** with a Roy O-vatar. But in the grand scheme of things, not much of what we does here matters. KC's uni updates won't help him get into college, SeanO's political and SABRmetric arguments won't get him a job on CNN or ESPN, Timay's work in carcinogen studies won't lead to a cure for cancer, and maybe 30 people will ever download my Cecil Cooper cyberface if I'm lucky.

The egos clashing here were built up in a very limited frame, based on abilities to change things in a video game that none of us have the actual right to change, or the moderation of boards related to discussion of such changes. I won't be a hypocrite -- I pumped a silent fist in the air the time that Hory said I was his favorite poster (after I convinced myself that he wasn't using a script that put in the name of whatever user was reading the post -- if it turns out in the end that he was, I may shed a few tears). However, sometimes I get the feeling that the reason there are so many over-inflated egos here (And probably on every message board on the internet. Now that I think about it, also in academia) is because folks have little to claim in their real, non-cyber lives as important or worthwhile.

In essence, the problems here will always exist while everyone involved has this specialized sense of self-importance. Cynic that I am, I don't see it changing much, but perhaps if we keep the fighting to PMs, the bans to a minimum, and are all willing to occasionally admit that we have been wrong, we can find an equilibrium that's satisfactory?

Here's hoping.

there now itll be up for a littlew longer though personally id like to see the last like 5 pages of this thread disapear.

And if this does happen, you guys out there will look at us as d**kheads and a-holes for doing just that.

As for your name mentioned on this site, I don't think anyone goes out of their way to mention it because it's a "hot" topic to talk about. Although I do recall that one guy a few days ago asked who you were and I told them you were a member a few years ago and that was that. Why your name was brought up then I don't know. But trust me, they won't go out of their way to talk about you.

I also have other things to add about this thread that I will not put in here just yet. I will wait until tomorrow when I gather my thoughts.

I was talking to him on aim. When i asked him why he was banned he told me to ask at mvpmods because they will tell you

eek.gif

Yesterday

shoutbox

eamods

you

any of that sound familiar

that wasn't a site thing i was trying to bring up, thats a personal vendetta i have with the other user i was arguing with.

Archived