State of MVPMods, January 2008

Kccitystar

The problem about making the modders moderators is that the reason the moderators became moderators was because of their maturity and ability to handle situations... if you just suddenly give it to the modders, it would probably hurt more than help, because as with any group of people, it has its share of capable, responsible members fit to be mods, and the immature, easily angered... idiots. You can't just blindly give power to a group of people because they contribute one aspect of the site. I can easily see more chaos erupting, not necessarily "site-war" related. (I still can't believe that even happened. It's so incredibly stupid and pointless, I can't believe people actually started "taking sides." That's a different issue, though.) If anything, modders should have more say in site development and issues, but not necessarily suddenly handed most moderating privileges. I think that's unnecessary and won't make the overall state of the site much better.

And before people start putting out "all hail KC!" posts, think about it all. I'm not saying don't agree with him, you're perfectly entitled, and I defenitely agree with him on plenty of points, but it seems like your just giving blind faith to KC.

Is there another reason why we are here? That "one" aspect seems to be only aspect that members of this site should care about.

Plus you are talking about modders like we are caged monkeys or something. Lets not generalize to that extent.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the '08 mod is a collaborative effort. If someone's mod is left out, etc....then that is a problem amongst the modders themselves.

Kraw does a great job of combining everyone's efforts into one wonderful mod.

I understand that, but I mean collaborative as in being able to share work with either or any site without having to hear about "OMGZ DUDE YOU TURNED YOUR BACK ON US"

see here you go mentioning my name again. do I know you? I dont recall you being a moderator or even a member of mvpmods when I was here. So whats the beef? I could see if Y4L was posting this about me, but you, who the hell are you?

Thats whats wrong with this site, you guys cant stop living in the past, I was banned 3 years ago and here you are STILL talking about me, I guess I should feel honored that my name gets dropped on a daily basis.

I don't have a beef with you, it's just that your antics are the stuff of legends around here. I actually have enjoyed reading your posts at EAMods.

I understand that, but I mean collaborative as in being able to share work with either or any site without having to hear about "OMGZ DUDE YOU TURNED YOUR BACK ON US"

I agree, that needs to stop. I for one, have adopted the "I don't care what site it comes from, as long as it's a good mod" approach now.

Is there another reason why we are here? That "one" aspect seems to be only aspect that members of this site should care about.
That's obviously the most major aspect by far, but it's not the only one. There are those that make dynasties, help promote the sites in various ways, just there for suggestions and help for the modders. The way I phrased it perhaps made it sound more trivial than it really is, and I'm not denying that that is by far the most important reason we're here, but it's not necessarily the only one.

Plus you are talking about modders like we are caged monkeys or something. Lets not generalize to that extent. :wink:
Where did I say that? It's just one group of people in the community, and it has the characteristics of any other group... Besides, I was a modder once. Yes, that's right boys and girls, grandpa abc used to make CTS screens out of nothing but pencil lead and bubble gum. I haven't really gotten around to devoting myself to much, but I still have about ten complete uniforms, un-fshtool'd. Just saying that I'm not completely out of the modding "group" either.

All good points KC.

- One problem I foresee with your Modder/Admin proposal is that modders, by title, mod. A lot. Sure they still post here, but they also dedicate a sizable amount of time to playing and changing games.

It's good to have that experience, but I don't believe that being a modder is a prerequisite for being a good admin. The fact that I've moved little blue dots around for years in oedit has little to nothing to do with whatever it is that made me a moderator. I'm the jerk on the forums who also mods parks, while otherwise I'd just be the jerk on the forum. I'd still be the same person, qualified or not.

- For manual verification, it'd eliminate tons of people who just download ever few months. I definitely don't download from football-freaks.com every month, but I'd rather not re-register every time I want a new version of the playbook editor.

- And, as for the list of bans and the reason why, it would lead to dozens of "how was X banned for this while Y wasn't for this?" which would cause a nightmare. If someone has a question of why someone was banned they're welcome to PM an admin, but there is often more backstory than what appears at first glance.

None of this is to bring down your suggestions, just some complicating factors. Since Pitchers and Molinas report in just a few weeks now (hallelujiah), people will stop going stir crazy pretty soon, which always helps.

really dj? I was always under the assumption that you disliked me for some reason. good to know.

Honestly, I don't know you. I don't have a problem with you, and I there is no animosity towards you, from me. You were before my time, so it is not my place to judge your past on here.

All good points KC.

- One problem I foresee with your Modder/Admin proposal is that modders, by title, mod. A lot. Sure they still post here, but they also dedicate a sizable amount of time to playing and changing games.

It's good to have that experience, but I don't believe that being a modder is a prerequisite for being a good admin. The fact that I've moved little blue dots around for years in oedit has little to nothing to do with whatever it is that made me a moderator. I'm the jerk on the forums who also mods parks, while otherwise I'd just be the jerk on the forum. I'd still be the same person, qualified or not.

- For manual verification, it'd eliminate tons of people who just download ever few months. I definitely don't download from football-freaks.com every month, but I'd rather not re-register every time I want a new version of the playbook editor.

- And, as for the list of bans and the reason why, it would lead to dozens of "how was X banned for this while Y wasn't for this?" which would cause a nightmare. If someone has a question of why someone was banned they're welcome to PM an admin, but there is often more backstory than what appears at first glance.

None of this is to bring down your suggestions, just some complicating factors. Since Pitchers and Molinas report in just a few weeks now (hallelujiah), people will stop going stir crazy pretty soon, which always helps.

solid points Sean, except for the bolded.

I meant to say that when you first register on the site, it can take up to a month to validate accounts to prevent dupes by the same people. It's the same as registering a new account, except that it is not instantaneous. Once your account is validated, you are a full time member and you can download all you want.

I'm somewhat indifferent to the whole discussion, but I do think this:

- There needs to be a read-only forum with a list of bans, links to the post, and the reason for banning. Make sure that the offending posts are clearly marked with 'USER BANNED/PROBATED/WHATEVER FOR THIS POST' so people can be clear on what is unacceptable.

Is one idea that should be implemented in the site. It can go right along with the site rules and it will put an end to people's "omg, I got banned cuz the admins are nazis" complaints.

I'm somewhat indifferent to the whole discussion, but I do think this:

Is one idea that should be implemented in the site. It can go right along with the site rules and it will put an end to people's "omg, I got banned cuz the admins are nazis" complaints.

I agree. Would be a good addition to the site.

I never made a dime off of my work. I would have liked to have recieved money as a "thanks KC for everything", but I never forced it upon anyone to do so because I mod for fun. I mod for myself first and if I'm happy with how it turns out, I'll share it with people, to see if they like it, and let the chips fall where they may.

VS

If you'd like to see updates and this project grow further, please donate to kccitystar@gmail.com. Otherwise, this is it, take it for what it's worth.

http://www.mvpmods.com/Downloads/details/id=4124.html

As stated, I never got anything, but I seem to run into this:

http://eamods.com/Treasury.html

every time I squeeze the TiT

Interesting image...

...but that redirect is as much so he can track the useage (and probably I.P.'s) of TiT as much as to encourage donation...

Since Pitchers and Molinas report in just a few weeks now (hallelujiah), people will stop going stir crazy pretty soon, which always helps.

Now THAT is the most amusing thing I've read it quite a long time.

However in regards to Kraw's post, upon re-reading it, I understand that Kraw asks for money to keep EAMods afloat, whereas yes, I do have a paypal link around for donations, however nobody has donated anything. My argument towards Kraw is moot, however I do not and have not made a dime off of my work.

odd my post disappeared anyway i jsut think it would make this a ton easyer if their were a concrete set of rules to fall back on that list exact rules an penalties make anyone who breaks a rule better understand and give an admin an static document to fall back on

Archived