Mlb 2k9 Screenshots, Info, Etc.

wrigleyville33

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, it looks like MLB 09 is just a roster update. I hate the commentators in the show, there annoying and have been saying the same thing like every year. Dont get me wrong its a great game probley better than 2K but, they could've changed some things in the gameplay.

Don't forget, they also destroyed the pitching system. But it is effectively a roster update compared to '08.

I'm jacked for this game.

The sliders. I'm really impressed by those. A lot of times you'll see companies throw a bunch of useless sliders into games to artificially boost the number available. Most of the ones in this game look worthwhile. Some of them are pretty cool, too (like the AI tendencies).

The title of "most intriguing slider of all" belongs to "human batting eye." That has the potential to kick massive ***. Does that change the tendencies of CPU pitchers? Will it give you more balls, and allow players with a good eye to legitimately receive more walks? In MVP, your patience had zero influence on a human hitter. For me, that was a massive, massive flaw. Will it maybe give players with a good eye a (behind the scenes) boost in contact or power? Regardless of what it does, the fact that you'll be able to allow batting eye to have an influence on a human batter will go a long way into us finding sliders that allow us to make this game a simulation.

I want to temper my enthusiasm a bit... but I'm really excited to fiddle around with that.

EDIT: ...I just realized that "Batter's Eye" refers to a gimmicky feature, and not the rating-equivalent of a hitter's patience... what a buzzkill.

I've played the 360 demo of this about 4 times through now, and I have to say, it reminds me of exactly what's been wrong with the 2k games from the beginning. It's got really good presentation, but the gameplay is nothing special.

(And a pet peeve is I don't understand how companies can make demos without giving any sort of controls tutorial, I mean come on, that's just ridiculous. This game just tells you "use the right stick to pitch and hit" and that's about it.)

I've played the 360 demo of this about 4 times through now, and I have to say, it reminds me of exactly what's been wrong with the 2k games from the beginning. It's got really good presentation, but the gameplay is nothing special.

(And a pet peeve is I don't understand how companies can make demos without giving any sort of controls tutorial, I mean come on, that's just ridiculous. This game just tells you "use the right stick to pitch and hit" and that's about it.)

That's because everything 2K Sports works on is rushed. It leads to the stuff we see. I mean, damn it, there's already a patch to fix stuff and the game isn't even released yet ! I seriously wonder if they have beta testers. It's like they don't understand how to run a company.

Seriously? You are a hard man to please. Seriously?

I'm seriously upset that they destroyed the pitching. Any slight frame rate issues will completely ruin the ability to pitch at a high level, which is what made RTTS enjoyable. I don't care about hitting at all, and I still see no reason to believe the game is any more Off Rails than '08. Adding a fast-forward button to RTTS isn't worth $60 to me.

It didn't need much improvement over '08, which is good because they didn't do any. I don't care about lighting or other graphical enhancements, I want them to fix the gameplay. And the demo was unplayable.

Maybe next year they'll decide pitching is important with baseball, but they've decided it's not even a part of baseball this season.

I play the demo three to four times a day. I think you are mistaken.

I'm still confused on how the pitching is broken. You tried explaining it to me, but when i play the demo it's fantastic and responsive.

Well, for whatever reason, on my 10 month old PS3 it's nothing but stuttery, so I can't come close to locating the ball. The pitch meter launches forward without warning, and locating the pitch cursor is impossible the way it is. Plus, the pitcher animations are 1998-level bad, running at about 15 frames per second, so when I do try out the batting, it's impossible to pick up the ball.

SCEA/whoever is creating the thing has don't nothing but insult and attack people like me who have a serious gripe with how it's running, nor even tried to figure out a solution.

I hope they solved the numerous problems from '08, but I was leery after seeing not a single mention of pitching in any form. The demo and concomitant surliness just sealed the deal.

Do you have a ton of stuff on your HDD. I have absoultely nothing seeing as the PS3 is new. That would tick me off, but I haven't read of too many people having the same issue. I can drop my cursor spot on. I'm eratic because I don't have ninja reflexes, but my pitching cursor is absolutely smooth.

And I enjoy pitching in the Show more than hitting. I've never been that way.

I for one, think it is great just to know they are releasing a PC version. Though I do not mod, I reserve hope that there will be hope and a possibility of fixing or modding the areas of 2K that are lacking. Personally, it looks good and sounds good. So for $20.00 how can you really lose, other than being let down and going right back to MVP? Seriously, the last 3-4 years I have not bought any baseball game. So I'm going to take the chance, I bought NBA2K since I wanted to see how it played and what it was like, I enjoy playing it and it looks pretty darn impressive.

Just my .2

I'm with you there maddux! I'm pretty excited to play this as well. If nothing else, eamods i'm sure will make an 09 for mvp.

So this game is officially broken for Xbox users. They have announced a patch for it and possibly the PC that will fix major issues. Imagine if you only own an Xbox and don't have the internet. I'd be pissed.

Then again all you'd be missing is BJ Upton throwing the ball like poltergeist and turning his head around liek an owl... see the 1:53 mark in this video:

MLB 2K9 is broken

Well, for whatever reason, on my 10 month old PS3 it's nothing but stuttery, so I can't come close to locating the ball. The pitch meter launches forward without warning, and locating the pitch cursor is impossible the way it is. Plus, the pitcher animations are 1998-level bad, running at about 15 frames per second, so when I do try out the batting, it's impossible to pick up the ball.

SCEA/whoever is creating the thing has don't nothing but insult and attack people like me who have a serious gripe with how it's running, nor even tried to figure out a solution.

I hope they solved the numerous problems from '08, but I was leery after seeing not a single mention of pitching in any form. The demo and concomitant surliness just sealed the deal.

What kinda TV are you playing it on ? I heard that some of the framerate problems in the demo were due to certain TVs.

Do you have a ton of stuff on your HDD. I have absoultely nothing seeing as the PS3 is new. That would tick me off, but I haven't read of too many people having the same issue. I can drop my cursor spot on. I'm eratic because I don't have ninja reflexes, but my pitching cursor is absolutely smooth.

And I enjoy pitching in the Show more than hitting. I've never been that way.

My HD is only about half full right now, so I would be shocked if that was it.

SCEA needs to advance, and I hope it will be next year. '09 will hopefully have fixed all of the major problems with RTTS (batting, since they didn't bother with the pitching problems at all), and fielding, and hopefully that je ne sais quoi element where they actually put you in control of what's going on. Them ignoring / breaking pitching is an atrocity for a baseball game, and I am extremely displeased that they decided lighting was more important than doing anything to pitching.

Then, next year, they need to revolutionize. I like the concept of the 2k9 pitch motion, but I think it can be taken much further. I want an RTTS where learning pitches takes something more than using attribute points. I want to be able to experiment with different pitch movements, something fundamentally more accurate. We'll see if it ever gets there.

I'll say this: if the first RTTS goal involves bunt quality for pitchers, people should immediately ask for a refund. That was completely inexcusable this year.

Mike, I have a Magnavox 37" LCD. Never a problem with anything else before.

Mike, I have a Magnavox 37" LCD. Never a problem with anything else before.

No doubt.. It's just something I've read about over at Operation Sports.. I don't know any more or less about it - just that some people with certain TVs experienced visual slowdown or lag wiht the MLB '09 demo. Anyway, since this is the MLB 2K9 forum section, I'm lookin' forward to trying the PC demo when it drops.

Sean O, from everything I've read/heard, it sounds like it's just you. I don't know how it's possible, but that's what it sounds like. At least give the actual game a chance, you can always shell out $7 for a rental. What you're talking about sounds pretty serious, and I'd think they'd mention that in one of the 1,000's of Operation Sports articles.

Archived