Mlb 2k9 Screenshots, Info, Etc.

wrigleyville33

No doubt.. It's just something I've read about over at Operation Sports.. I don't know any more or less about it - just that some people with certain TVs experienced visual slowdown or lag wiht the MLB '09 demo. Anyway, since this is the MLB 2K9 forum section, I'm lookin' forward to trying the PC demo when it drops.

I just tried it again, and it's still unplayable. I decided to sit close to the tv to see what was actually happening. When I move the pitch cursor, the thing jumps around so I can't locate it well, and when I hold it steady, it jitters around like it has Parkinson's. When I try to bat, Kazmir is a slide show, and the ball isn't continuously visible all the way to the plate, making it damn hard to know whether I should swing. Everything afterwards is perfect in terms of frame rate.

It would be one thing if SCEA admitted there was a problem, but this "you're lying"/"it's your problem"/"it's a beta build"/'we don't care" is astonishing. The disgusting lack of customer service is a big reason why I'm not even considering '09, and I'm very leery of any product from this company again.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sean O - I haven't seen a single other human being on any forum (here or otherwise) complain about the problem you are mentioning.

If you HAVE seen someone else mention it - provide a link.

Otherwise - go return your PS3 cuz it's broken.

A couple other OS people have had the same problem. The thing isn't broken, SCEA did something wrong and doesn't care to even wonder why.

So this game is officially broken for Xbox users. They have announced a patch for it and possibly the PC that will fix major issues. Imagine if you only own an Xbox and don't have the internet. I'd be pissed.

Honestly, this isn't the first 360 game with a huge bug like that on release, and it won't be the last. If you have no internet to update your 360, you've been f***ed over for many more games than just this one.

Well I just tested this out and the major gripe I have is, why is it that this game seems to decline graphic wise year after year instead of improving? I mean MLB 2k7 looked the best IMO and 2k8 was not as sharp but other then the dugout atmosphere this game is flat out eewww.

I do have to agree with framerate, it runs pretty smooth. The commentary is much much better and the NBA 2k layout looks good but I can care less about that. I say if 2k puts graphics and alot of motion capture as their top priority for next years game then I think it might be a hit but until then this game doesnt even come close to where "The Show" is.

What the hell is going on in this demo? I mean, honest to god. In my first inning batting I had 5 straight hits, and I'm an awful batter. Why does a 90 mph fastball take a full second+ to cross the plate? Why can't the designers, oh, explain the incredibly complex pitch mechanism? When do I release, when do I start my twirls?

I have played thousands of hours of baseball video games, and I truly had no idea what was happening at times. I have a headache.

Hey Sean, I wonder if your controller needs to be recalibrated. I'm just guessing. Once my son kept getting problems with a racing game on the xbox 360 and the darn controller was out of control in the menus, and when he managed to get past that and get to the game, the car kept crashing into walls by itself. IDK, just my 2 cents.

Hey Sean, I wonder if your controller needs to be recalibrated. I'm just guessing. Once my son kept getting problems with a racing game on the xbox 360 and the darn controller was out of control in the menus, and when he managed to get past that and get to the game, the car kept crashing into walls by itself. IDK, just my 2 cents.

Well, thing is I can close out of the demo where everything is going wild, load up '08 the show, and it's smooth as silk. Or I can load up Burnout and do a perfect 150 mph drift with the exact same analog stick. It's something with the game itself.

I just tried it again, and it's still unplayable. I decided to sit close to the tv to see what was actually happening. When I move the pitch cursor, the thing jumps around so I can't locate it well, and when I hold it steady, it jitters around like it has Parkinson's. When I try to bat, Kazmir is a slide show, and the ball isn't continuously visible all the way to the plate, making it damn hard to know whether I should swing. Everything afterwards is perfect in terms of frame rate.

It would be one thing if SCEA admitted there was a problem, but this "you're lying"/"it's your problem"/"it's a beta build"/'we don't care" is astonishing. The disgusting lack of customer service is a big reason why I'm not even considering '09, and I'm very leery of any product from this company again.

I think there's more here than meets the eye. There is something in the demo or NOT in the demo that obviously is causing this batter-pitcher frame-rate issue, Sean O is not the only one to report it. However, most users have NOT noticed the issue in the demo and Sony isn't going to spend alot of resources to investigate or fix an issue only a relative few are having WITH THE DEMO. They have been saying over at OS that the final release is free of this issue and from preliminary reports, that is indeed the case (some already have the game). Users who had issues with the demo are now having no issues with the full version. I would also add there are some who are claiming the demo for the show 08 was also stuttery, but the full 08 game was free of issues. Take this as you will.

So, I downloaded and played the 2K9 demo for the PS3. The commentators are very VERY good and polished and quite entertaining.

The graphics... well... they're better than stock MVP05 and marginally better than the modded MVP08. There are definately quirks in the animations still, and some funky issues, but all-in-all it is (of course, after so long) a step up from MVP.

The game play is weird. The pitching and hitting seems simplistic and arcade-style, but it's functional, I suppose.

If you're comparing 2K9 to MVP05, you'll be pleased.

If you're comparing 2K9 to The Show 09, you'll feel like you're still looking at a particularly well-modded version of MVP05.

Visually The Show is unbeatable. I prefer the pitching and hitting controls in The Show over 2K9 as well, but that's just because I prefer a little challenge rather than arcade-style.

After numerous games I'm still having lots of trouble in The Show. After a few innings in 2K9 I am owning the CPU opponent.

Anyway - to sum up what I'm really trying to say here:

For PC gamers, 2K9 is going to be a welcome addition to their lives. It's a fairly well-done (even if not knock-out quality) game. It will certainly entertain and fill the void that EA's departure from the PC-baseball market left.

For PS3 owners - there's absolutely no need to even consider 2K9. The Show is better in every respect. This is the advantage of a game built specifically for the platform (PS3), of course.

*** Note: My feelings about 2K9 and The Show 09 are both based on the PS3 demos, which I've only had for about 5 hours now. So take all this for what it's worth.

So Raptor, if 2K9 is modder friendly for the PC...Including all the great utilities that you and the modders have more than GENEROUSLY created on your own time and dime, will you play the 2K9 "franchise mode" for the PC (mods included of course) over the show..?

Basically what I am trying to say is, if you and the great modders can do to 2K9 what you did for MVP, will you spend your franchise hours with 2K9??

So Raptor, if 2K9 is modder friendly for the PC...Including all the great utilities that you and the modders have more than GENEROUSLY created on your own time and dime, will you play the 2K9 "franchise mode" for the PC (mods included of course) over the show..?

Basically what I am trying to say is, if you and the great modders can do to 2K9 what you did for MVP, will you spend your franchise hours with 2K9??

First - I am not a modder, so don't accidentally attribute any of the great work done to MVP05 to me. That kind of credit belongs to the likes of Trues and Pirate and Krawhitham and rolie and thespungo and kccitystar and so many others.

Second - yes. I am a PC gamer at heart, and if 2K9 is workable into something less irritating than what I just experienced it - it is likely I will use it for it's frachise mode quite often. Road To The Show (RTTS) is a different experience, and I will (of course) play that on the PS3 as well.

As pirate and others have pointed out, if 2K9 is just a jumping off point (as MVP04 was) - we may be hoping that 2K-10 (or whatever it will be called) or even 2K-11 will be the "it game" we're all hoping for (that will be the modernized equivalent of MVP05).

Raptor,

My bad...For whatever reason the years I have been coming here now I have always thought you had some contribution to the mods? My fault..Either way, your still the man! B)

Thanks for the insight though....I just keep hoping for the best with 2K9..

Another big thing revealed in this game - created players and pitchers have one default delivery/batting stance only and it can't be changed.

Hopefully this can be changed with an MVPEdit type of tool for MLB2k9.

I'm starting to think this game will pretty much be MLB play only. For those console users, this game seems like a ripoff at $60

Another big thing revealed in this game - created players and pitchers have one default delivery/batting stance only and it can't be changed.

I'm starting to think this game will pretty much be MLB play only. For those console users, this game seems like a ripoff at $60

What? Wow.......that sucks.

man, and here I was getting excited about their vast create-a-player options. Really, how come none of these games have ever implemented a batting stance/pitching delivery creator? I wouldn't be that difficult to do.

This game is looking worse by the day.

I have played 2K9 demo for the PS3 and I have come to these conclusions:

• The hitting/pitching is just too silly. It's annoying having to pull the stick back and push it forawrd to hit. Ingenious? No just stupid.
  • The graphics, which do matter to me (this is 2009 for gosh sake), are horrible. I wold agree with Raptor that they are better than MVP 05 out of the box. I would say the faces are worse, stadiums are better, uniforms are worse, and models are slightly better than the modded 08 MVP.
  • The controls are simple enough in the field, that is a plus.
  • The camera view when fielding makes the game look and feel like a Super Nintendo game.
  • The field looks horrible.
  • The animations are atrocious.
  • The AI is stupid. I had an easy double play ball hit up the middle. My shortstop runs over and grabs it. It would take him just a second to stick out his toe and touch second but he instead waits inches from the bag for the second baseman to come over. By the time he underhhand tosses it to the second baseman both runners are safe. That's just bad programming.

I found nothing redeeming about this game. In the end I think PC gamers will be happier with a modded MVP. I will be sticking with the Show. I won't buy the PC version, not even to mod if it's possible.

Archived