Things That Take You Back..

If you did not watch this show on Tuesday nights you had no idea what kids at school were talking about on Wednesday mornings.

Happy-days.jpg

Love that show man! Now if I talked about it on Wednesday morning, my friends would think I'd lost my mind.

"Happy what?

"Happy Days man!"

"So you're telling me that there's a character called 'Fonzie'?"

Oh, television why did "reality" tv have to ruin you?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus H. Christ, look at the size of Griffey's lips in that image! :blink:

Yeah, those are ridiculous. Also, look at the score of the game in that screen shot.... 17-0. Yikes.

That was a fun game. First game I remember having to warm up pitchers in the bullpen.

RBI 3 and Little League Baseball for Nintendo might still be better, though.

• 4 months later...

I had an old Dukes of Hazzard set too. No telling how many times I had Roscoe P Coltrane chasing down the Duke Boys. Of course, Bo and Luke always jumped an enormous distance, and got away when Roscoe crashed trying to do the same.

I have also seen some Van Halen in here. They were alright, but I was always more a fan of:

Was reading up on this old thread, still find it interesting to see what people were into.

@ emath - I got to see Motley Crue in Evansville back in 1985 when they were burning it up. Just curious if you ever caught one of their shows.

Cool! Thanks for reviving this thread JR....I'm ashamed to admit this is the first time I've seen it.

I can relate to pretty much everything that has been posted here...what a nice trip down memory lane :)

Let me test my google-fu and I'll be back later with my additions to this awesome thread!!!

Ok, for my first 'takes me back' post, I'm gonna keep it sports related.

I grew up in the Pittsburgh area back in the 'City of Champions' era...which should explain the following:

post-77125-036304700 1287514025_thumb.jp

This would be Willie 'Pops' Stargell...note the funky cap w/ stars...which was TOTALLY cool back then.

post-77125-090681200 1287514049_thumb.jp

Kent Tekulve. Still the craziest delivery I've ever seen.

post-77125-023127200 1287514157_thumb.jp

The Steel Curtain defense. Don't even try to run against these guys.

post-77125-039476900 1287514167_thumb.jp

And finally, Jack Lambert - scariest looking man I've ever seen. Met him @ my high school my junior year - I just remember how freakin' WIDE his shoulders were, and I swear he was about 12 feet tall.

I'll put together a non-sports 'takes me back' post later, but figured this was a good start!!

• 3 weeks later...

@ emath - I got to see Motley Crue in Evansville back in 1985 when they were burning it up. Just curious if you ever caught one of their shows.

Sorry I missed this. Yeah, a couple of times... Sadly it was after their prime but still a lot of fun.

I saw their 1997 Motley Crue vs The Earth tour (the first one after their reunion with all the fighting, and people coming on stage), and then again in 1999 on their Greatest Hits tour.

I have seen Vince Neil solo a couple of times as well, in 1993, and again with Poison back in like 2004 or 2005 maybe. The most memorable thing about that show was meeting Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns, Todd Walker, Kelly Stinnett, Sean Casey and Aaron Boone after the show. They were their partying, and we saw them as they were heading out. Got to talk to them for about 10 minutes, then once everyone realized who they were (or at least that they were famous) we got crowded out by a bunch of hot chicks...

Funny moment. They were all trashed. Kearns told us we should buy him a beer. Stinnett jumped his *** and told him he was the famous athlete, and that he should be buying US a beer.

I got some autographs on my ticket stub, I will scan it and upload am image later.

The worst part about it was not actually recognizing Todd Walker. He was quiet, and just stood off to the side. No one even talked to him. He had been traded by the Reds earlier in the year, or maybe the previous off season, so we never expected him to be with them, but he flew down from a series in Milwaukee to hang with some of his friends. We didn't realize it was him until we got crowded out, so we never got to talk to him, or get his autograph.

It was down at the Deer Creek music center (or whatever they call it these days) in Noblesville.

ticketfront2.jpg

Kinda hard to see at this size, but it is Kearns and Dunn on the bottom, and Casey and Boone on top. Didn't ask Stinnett, and as I said, didn't recognize Walker til it was too late.

And apparently, looking at the date on the stub, it was back in 2003. Man how time flies... Pretty sure that was the last concert I ever went to as well.

This game is called Superstar Baseball. It also went by the name of Sports Illustrated baseball. It is a baseball board game that you use dice to play. This is a concept that I realize is not popular today but I am telling you this game helped pass many winters for my friends and I.

This game is still popular today although it is out of print. You can purchase this on ebay but you will pay more for it. You get 96 players in the game but there are many players you can get now from the internet.

This innocent looking game was the cause of many fist fights among us, many arguments and shouting matches but we all kept on coming back to it. It drew us in like a moth to a flame. Every once in awhile we'd say "we're done and we are not playing this anymore." A few days would go by and then someone would say "let's pull out the game" and just like that we would be starting another league.

It was fun. Trading players amongst ourselves, keeping our favorites, etc. We were amazed that players like Ray Schalk (White Sox catcher, lifetime batting average of .253) would constantly hit Sandy Koufax hard. I should know, I had Schalk on my team and he killed Koufax, like one time when he two triples in one game against him that won me a game and got me a loaf of bread thrown at me at the same time :lol:

Ah, good times. When you play a game with a bunch of super competitive people, things like that happened.

Superstar Baseball game box

The game itself

I had a baseball game back in the day that used dice, but it was nothing like that. Frankly, i can't remember what it was called, and I could never seem to find it searching the net. Sadly, I can't even remember how it worked. As much as I played it, I can't believe I don't remember more about it. Pretty sure it didn't have real life players, or real stats to go by.

nerfoop.jpg

Back in the old days it was just two suction cups on the back to hold it up. Later on, I had the ones with the metal hook type thing that fit over the top of your door... I used to use duct tape to hold it tight to the door so it wouldn't move around. I still live in the house I grew up in, and can still see the sticky residue on the door where I had it taped in place.

Photo11062027.jpg

Man, I played college basketball (made my own schedules, and kept stats. Had a tourney at the end of each season), and pro basketball seasons. Hours upon hours in my room playing. Lived out in the country, so I didn't have many friends around to play against, so it was all imagination.

Archived