The MVP 2005 and Windows 10 Thread

Solid_Contact

10 hours ago, Grydian said:

So having read this thread and also bashing my head against the windows 10 wall I was wondering...  SInce I have windows 10 pro could I use hyper-v to run a ubuntu vm on my windows 10 to then run wine and mvpbaseball 2005?  I would rather not run a dual boot...

I don't know how it would handle 3D rendering if the OS is not native

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have been trying to play this game for a few years now and I cannot even get it installed. My son built his own gaming PC for modern games and we tried to install MVP 2005 with original discs only to be stopped about 65% through because he runs his computer on Windows 10 and it will not work. I have a crappy Windows 8 laptop, which I do not want to go through the trouble of getting a dedicated graphics card to work, otherwise I also have 3 MACs.  I am actually looking to have my son build me a new gaming PC. My question is, what will work with a new gaming PC? Would I have to buy an external hard drive and partition it to get the game to work on a new gaming PC? Is using LINUX OS on a new gaming PC possible? Is there any newer computer I can buy to get this game to work? Could I partition a hard drive or use a virtual PC to install the game on one of my older MACs? I am just looking to see what option might be the best for computers I already own, or on a new gaming PC.

Thanks in advance team,

I really appreciate all of the work in this forum. 

14 minutes ago, Gordo said:

Pretty sure your question has been asked and answered throughout this and other related threads.  Please research those please.

Yeah it is difficult to actually determine, which options work and which don't. I have searched these threads pretty thoroughly. I really want to know about Linux, and potentially partitioning a hard drive on a Mac or new gaming PC. I do not know much about that. I just want to buy a brand new pre-built, but I know that won't work with Windows 10. 

8 minutes ago, HalfricanWSox24 said:

My question is, what will work with a new gaming PC? MVP is not compatible with Windows 10.

Would I have to buy an external hard drive and partition it to get the game to work on a new gaming PC? It's a disc based title, so I'm not sure where the external drive comes into play unless it's to retain mods when MVPMods goes down?

Is using LINUX OS on a new gaming PC possible? Getting Linux solely for MVP is like a last resort option, not something I would really recommend first.

Is there any newer computer I can buy to get this game to work? See first response. Windows 7 is the last known OS that is confirmed to work with MVP.

Could I partition a hard drive or use a virtual PC to install the game on one of my older MACs? It's a disc based title, so I'm not sure.

I am just looking to see what option might be the best for computers I already own, or on a new gaming PC.

Your best bet is to find an older machine with Windows 7 with a video card (for best visuals, it can't be integrated on-board graphics) and install the game on that machine as it will likely have a disc drive.

15 minutes ago, Kccitystar said:

Your best bet is to find an older machine with Windows 7 with a video card (for best visuals, it can't be integrated on-board graphics) and install the game on that machine as it will likely have a disc drive.

Thanks for help. I may be able to get it to work on my Windows 8 with the graphics card like Gordo suggested. 

Do you know if this specific one would work?

I know very little about purchasing and hooking up graphics cards.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SEALED-BOX-PowerColor-9800SE-R98E-SC3-DirectX-9-128bit-DDR-Graphics-Card/333380396576?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

1 hour ago, HalfricanWSox24 said:

Thanks for help. I may be able to get it to work on my Windows 8 with the graphics card like Gordo suggested. 

Do you know if this specific one would work?

I know very little about purchasing and hooking up graphics cards.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SEALED-BOX-PowerColor-9800SE-R98E-SC3-DirectX-9-128bit-DDR-Graphics-Card/333380396576?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I mean any current card would work as long as there is a driver pack for Windows 7

Alright so I busted out an old Dell PC from 2011-2012 with Windows Vista on it. I have been communicating with Yankee4Life, who has been a great help so far, especially because he can play the game on this operation system. However, I am having one issue with installation. I am attempting to install disc one and it gets to about 52% and then will not continue. I tried putting the 2nd disc in to continue installation and that does not work either? I am getting an error message with a file transfer error with jpeg30 image. Is this a common error for anyone else? Any way to get past this point to complete installation? I appreciate all of the help and insight from everyone.

Thanks all. 

1 hour ago, Gordo said:

Wipe it out if you can and put Windows 7 or XP on it.

Thanks for the advice. I will back up old information that my family might need (old photos), and wipe it clean.

Do you know of a working link that would work for the Windows 7 or XP operating systems once I clean the PC? 

Thanks in advance. 

• 4 months later...

Good afternoon fellas. I wiped an old Dell computer from 2008 with Windows Vista clean, and am trying to install using the original disks, but am running into a roadblock. Does anyone know about an installation error from disc 2 reading A problem occurred when trying to transfer the file 'E:\data\stadium\aa01nite.big' from the media?

It gets to about 65% install and I get stuck here any time. I feel like I am so close but just cannot get this game downloaded on my Windows Vista PC, and I wiped it clean. 

On 4/2/2020 at 3:11 PM, HalfricanWSox24 said:

I'm just going to buy a cheap code on on Amazon for clean, legit purchase so I do not encounter any problems. Hoping this works. 

How are you going to buy a "cheap code" from Amazon to get your game to work?

55 minutes ago, HalfricanWSox24 said:

It gets to about 65% install and I get stuck here any time. I feel like I am so close but just cannot get this game downloaded on my Windows Vista PC, and I wiped it clean. 

No, I don't have any answers except to tell you that you are posting this in the wrong thread. This is for Windows 10 only.

• 4 weeks later...

Read through this thread and a few others regarding the stuttering on Windows 10.  It doesn't make the game unplayable, but it sure is obnoxious!  Have tried ResChanger, Rivatuner, changing the resolution in the actual game.  It's odd - it will run smoothly 50% of the time and just intermittently stutter.  Mostly when the ball is in the air like others have described.  Any definitive resolution (pun intended) to this?

• 11 months later...
On 9/21/2020 at 7:36 PM, Jim825 said:

People have been trying to get the game to run under Windows 10 for 5 years, based upon when this thread was started. If there was an answer to your question, it would have  been in this thread. 

Just finished playing 1996 Opening Day game with the defending World Champion Mariners...on Windows 10

I got a Win10 machine (my first) in March, and thought I'd need to have a place for my old Win7 box so I could keep playing. On a whim, launched the .exe of my 1995 Total Classics install yesterday, and there was no problem. Smooth, beautiful, familiar.

Transitioned my 1995 season to 1996 and played the first game today: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ua277tjlv0fbkn/IMG_2885.MOV?dl=0 

From what I see in this thread, this is unusual. I also got another old game, Jane's USAF working earlier in the year (with a few visual issues, but highly playable) and I have a feeling that getting that to work helped get MVP to work. I followed this: 

I would suggest using Streamable to upload videos and post for free.

Additionally, I ran into the occasional stutter/hesitation while recently getting back into NBA 2K14 for a bit.  Found that for some quirky reason that when connected to the internet, it causes this.  Sure enough when I disengaged from the internet, 2K14 was smooth as could be.  Has anyone tried this simple option with MVP?