Blue Purple Red Orange Gold Green Teal Chocolate Charcoal
Blue Purple Red Orange Gold Green Teal Chocolate Charcoal
Solid_Contact

The MVP 2005 and Windows 10 Thread

Hey KC, maybe we (well, mostly you :) ) can do a quick primer at some point.  I have zero knowledge about Linux other than I know those that use it, love it.  I'm especially concerned come January that we won't be able to use IP2IP via Windows 7.  I doubt that will be the case, but just want to be sure.

Appreciate the info and your insights.

15 hours ago, Gordo said:

Hey KC, maybe we (well, mostly you :) ) can do a quick primer at some point.  I have zero knowledge about Linux other than I know those that use it, love it.  I'm especially concerned come January that we won't be able to use IP2IP via Windows 7.  I doubt that will be the case, but just want to be sure.

Appreciate the info and your insights.

You mean IP vs IP? That would be doable on Wine. It's supposed to play 1:1 like as if it were on a Windows machine.

I'll test this out sometime this weekend.

Yes.... IP vs. IP.  Thanks for checking.  I assume I might be able to install a 2nd HDD for my PC currently running W10 and install Wine on that.

I've considered several times moving to Linux. About once a year I have a good long month of weighing options but needing Windows for gaming and for using specific audio, video and other random applications, I always end up in the same place thinking about how often I'll need to boot back into Windows and that that will become annoying over time. About 90% of the games I want to play have some form of incompatibility with Wine, I tend to not play any of the games that are popular enough on PC to get community support.

9 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

I've considered several times moving to Linux. About once a year I have a good long month of weighing options but needing Windows for gaming and for using specific audio, video and other random applications, I always end up in the same place thinking about how often I'll need to boot back into Windows and that that will become annoying over time. About 90% of the games I want to play have some form of incompatibility with Wine, I tend to not play any of the games that are popular enough on PC to get community support.

You can always dual boot, and keep that Ubuntu partition small just for MVP :)

10 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

So could you give a quick armchair primer on this?  Or point in the correct direction?  So Linux is obviously the major system.  Ubuntu vs. Wine is the current name of the OS?  It would allow for a regular install of MVP just like Windows?

1 hour ago, Gordo said:

So could you give a quick armchair primer on this?  Or point in the correct direction?  So Linux is obviously the major system.  Ubuntu vs. Wine is the current name of the OS?  It would allow for a regular install of MVP just like Windows?

Ubuntu is the OS. It's Linux, just a specific distribution of it.  

Wine is the application within Ubuntu that will emulate a Windows environment in order for you to play MVP without an issue.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

Well, apparently you have to be really careful which one you install first and even then there can be problems, as someone once told me in another forum:

"Yes, the Windows partition will be treated as its own drive, and the GNU/Linux distro install will be treated as its own drive. HOWEVER, please be aware that the two OSes can in some cases interact with each other. For example Microsoft has at some occasions released update to Windows 10 which breaks GRUB. One example of this was the Creator's update which for seemingly no reason created a hidden partition after the first partition (thus changing the partition table on the HDD, which creates a mismatch between it and where GRUB looks for files)."

Here's the rest of my thread for context when I was trying to see if I could run Linux for older games and as a main OS.

Also, keep in mind, if Windows 7 is working for someone (me, in this case) offline, then Linux has no purpose for being used and could just be a hassle with people's hardware and peripherals not being compatible. Then, there's the annoyance of finding a distro that is the best combination of community supported and easy enough for beginners.

Edited by tinpanalley

Can confirm that the MVP 2019 mod from MVP 2K Caribe site runs on Win10. Also have MVP 2005 (All 5 patches installed, no mods) running in Win10 by cloning my game cds and mounting CD2 on Virtual drive. Using  ResChanger tool to play in 1920x1080. 

Normally play MVP 2005 mods on my Win7 PC, but wanted to try running on my Win10 Gaming PC. Will keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone comes up with a way to run MVP 2005 with mods on Win10.

MVP 2012 and 2015 mods start up but CTD when loading in Play now. Same CTD with MVP 2017 mod from MVP 2K Caribe.