The MVP 2005 and Windows 10 Thread

Solid_Contact

think the question about getting it running with Windows 10 has already been answered with alternatives discussed.  It's not really an MVP problem as much as it is a Windows problem.

i couldn't get the mods to show up in the game with windows 7, so it isn't just a windows 10 problem.  i've followed the different instructions and advice on both mvp and 2k12 and it seems as though mvp works with windows 10 after i uninstall it and do a clean install and apply the patches, but not after installing the total conversion mod 12 or 15

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of us have tried this, some of us just know the way Windows games from 15 years ago play with Windows 10, but speaking for myself, a couple of years ago, I spent weeks, literally weeks, trying everything that video game forum techie experts to computer forum techies to Windows OS forum techies suggested. In each case, particularly that of the computer techies, more than one person thought it was possible until they tried it themselves and quickly realised it wasn't worth the hassle to do what needed to be done. On person on a computer forum even told me to just run it through Linux  because even THAT would be easier than trying it via Windows 10.

"It isn't something that can be done" is the theme that has been repeating in this thread since July of 2015. Trust us, a lot of very skilled people have tried. And methods that involve using illegally obtained images are of no interest here, before someone says, "well, you CAN, but..."

• 1 month later...

I'm going to have to be switching to a Windows 10 computer...  I did a search on Secdrv.sys windows 10 to see if there has been anything recent that may solve the problem with MVP2005 running on Windows 10...  I came across this site... Fix CD Games that won't play in Windows 10 ... this was a March 2018 article...

https://windowsreport.com/cd-games-windows-10/

which has a section that is similar to previous efforts to use the Secdrv.sys  From Win 7 or 8 but seems to go into more detailed steps...  I wonder if anyone has tried this and if it would really work ?!?! 

Solution 5 – Add SafeDisc driver manually

We have to mention this solution can cause system instability and potential security issues, so use it at your own risk. To add SafeDisc driver manually follow these steps:

Download Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider tool from here.

Download SECDRV.SYS file or copy it from any older version of Windows. In older versions of Windows this file can be located in C:\windows\system32\drivers folder.

Move SECDRV.SYS file to C:\windows\system32\drivers folder on your Windows 10 computer.

Right click Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider and choose Run as administrator.

Choose Enable Test Mode and click Next.

Select Sign a System File, navigate to C:\windows\system32\drivers and select SECDRV.SYS file.

Click OK and restart your computer.

When your computer restarts, start Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider again and turn on Test Mode. After you’ve done that, you should be able to run old games once again on Windows 10.

Problems with CD games that won’t play on Windows 10 are caused by the lack of support for SecuROM and SafeDisc, but you can easily fix these problems by using some of our solutions. We also did a guide on how to play old games on Windows 10, so feel free to check it out if you need more information.

Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.

Hi all -

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I've been sifting through these various threads trying to get my new copy of MVP Baseball 2005 to play on Windows 10, and I'm about ready to give up and list it back on eBay.

Seems the general consensus is Windows 10 makes it darn near impossible, but I've also seen some users have success through various workarounds. I've tried a few solves from these forums, but can't even get the game to launch. I always run as administrator after trying these steps:

• Installed the game in its own C folder (not Program Files (x86)), and installed Patch 5. No luck.
  • Tried to edit the registry directly based on this thread (https://www.mvpmods.com/forums/topic/57400-mvp-not-starting-after-windows-7-9-8-15-updates/). No dice.
  • Turned off my antivirus per Vader's 10/6/18 post in this thread. Nothing.
  • Then followed Base Invader's post above mine, installed secdrv.sys into my system32/drivers folder and have followed the steps with Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider. Not a thing.

Is there anything I'm missing here? Should I be installing secdrv into my SYSWOW64/DRIVERS folder instead of my system32/drivers folder?

I've been so freaking excited to come back to this game and be a part of this community, but this has been so disheartening. Hoping I'm missing a solve that someone else has had success with, otherwise I think I'm out of luck.

I don't think anyone here is comfortable instructing you on how to install Windows 7 other than the conventional way.  If you have the install disk, I assume you can get online support about where to find your key if you don't have it.   With one internal HDD, of course you can install Win7 on there, but are you wanting to wipe what's on there now?  You need to give more information.

So I tried downloading Win7 from microsoft website using a pre-installed key from a different computer. That did not work. I need to contact device manufacturer about it. Maybe I'll do that this weekend. I do not currently have an install disk. If using the pre-installed key from an old machine does not work, I need to purchase windows 7 some other way.

I have Windows 10 on my internal HDD right now. I would like to keep that installed and install Win7 on the same HDD. It looks like I need to partition my HDD in order to accomplish this. 

In summary, the biggest obstacle I am facing right now is getting a key/copy of Windows 7. There appears to be a plethora of information about partitioning a hard drive to add another OS. If anyone has recommendations for getting Windows 7, I would appreciate them. Best practices for partioning are also welcome.

• 2 months later...

Fun fact: MVP Baseball 2005 is certified Platinum (meaning it plays with 0 bugs/issues) on Linux through Wine as of June 2010. 

NOTE: The version of Wine that was tested on MVP was 1.2 rc-4.  Wine as of July 2019 is on version 4.0.1 now, so the game should be 100% compatible.

I should test this out again as I had run into quirks in the past ;) If it works out 100% like the site says, the best bet is to dual boot something like Ubuntu or a flavor of Debian (I completely forgot how to do this off the top of my head) and install Wine to get this thing to play without a hitch.

Hey KC, maybe we (well, mostly you :) ) can do a quick primer at some point.  I have zero knowledge about Linux other than I know those that use it, love it.  I'm especially concerned come January that we won't be able to use IP2IP via Windows 7.  I doubt that will be the case, but just want to be sure.

Appreciate the info and your insights.

15 hours ago, Gordo said:

Hey KC, maybe we (well, mostly you :) ) can do a quick primer at some point.  I have zero knowledge about Linux other than I know those that use it, love it.  I'm especially concerned come January that we won't be able to use IP2IP via Windows 7.  I doubt that will be the case, but just want to be sure.

Appreciate the info and your insights.

You mean IP vs IP? That would be doable on Wine. It's supposed to play 1:1 like as if it were on a Windows machine.

I'll test this out sometime this weekend.

I've considered several times moving to Linux. About once a year I have a good long month of weighing options but needing Windows for gaming and for using specific audio, video and other random applications, I always end up in the same place thinking about how often I'll need to boot back into Windows and that that will become annoying over time. About 90% of the games I want to play have some form of incompatibility with Wine, I tend to not play any of the games that are popular enough on PC to get community support.

9 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

I've considered several times moving to Linux. About once a year I have a good long month of weighing options but needing Windows for gaming and for using specific audio, video and other random applications, I always end up in the same place thinking about how often I'll need to boot back into Windows and that that will become annoying over time. About 90% of the games I want to play have some form of incompatibility with Wine, I tend to not play any of the games that are popular enough on PC to get community support.

You can always dual boot, and keep that Ubuntu partition small just for MVP :)

10 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

So could you give a quick armchair primer on this?  Or point in the correct direction?  So Linux is obviously the major system.  Ubuntu vs. Wine is the current name of the OS?  It would allow for a regular install of MVP just like Windows?

1 hour ago, Gordo said:

So could you give a quick armchair primer on this?  Or point in the correct direction?  So Linux is obviously the major system.  Ubuntu vs. Wine is the current name of the OS?  It would allow for a regular install of MVP just like Windows?

Ubuntu is the OS. It's Linux, just a specific distribution of it.  

Wine is the application within Ubuntu that will emulate a Windows environment in order for you to play MVP without an issue.

16 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

Well, apparently you have to be really careful which one you install first and even then there can be problems, as someone once told me in another forum:

"Yes, the Windows partition will be treated as its own drive, and the GNU/Linux distro install will be treated as its own drive. HOWEVER, please be aware that the two OSes can in some cases interact with each other. For example Microsoft has at some occasions released update to Windows 10 which breaks GRUB. One example of this was the Creator's update which for seemingly no reason created a hidden partition after the first partition (thus changing the partition table on the HDD, which creates a mismatch between it and where GRUB looks for files)."

Here's the rest of my thread for context when I was trying to see if I could run Linux for older games and as a main OS.

Also, keep in mind, if Windows 7 is working for someone (me, in this case) offline, then Linux has no purpose for being used and could just be a hassle with people's hardware and peripherals not being compatible. Then, there's the annoyance of finding a distro that is the best combination of community supported and easy enough for beginners.

Edited by tinpanalley

• 1 month later...

Can confirm that the MVP 2019 mod from MVP 2K Caribe site runs on Win10. Also have MVP 2005 (All 5 patches installed, no mods) running in Win10 by cloning my game cds and mounting CD2 on Virtual drive. Using  ResChanger tool to play in 1920x1080. 

Normally play MVP 2005 mods on my Win7 PC, but wanted to try running on my Win10 Gaming PC. Will keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone comes up with a way to run MVP 2005 with mods on Win10.

MVP 2012 and 2015 mods start up but CTD when loading in Play now. Same CTD with MVP 2017 mod from MVP 2K Caribe.

• 3 months later...

So having read this thread and also bashing my head against the windows 10 wall I was wondering...  SInce I have windows 10 pro could I use hyper-v to run a ubuntu vm on my windows 10 to then run wine and mvpbaseball 2005?  I would rather not run a dual boot...