Mlb 2k9 Bash Thread

Perhaps a MLB 2K9 bash thread for those 2K haters.

Not MLB 2K9 thread, please.

Really annoying!

Tony 3 suggested this in another thread when one 2K9 user asked a question about the game and he received an answer that really had nothing to do with his question, but rather the choice of game that he plays.

Knowing the guy that gave that answer in that other thread, I am sure he didn't mean anything by it and he was only joking around. That's fine.

We all know that 2K9 has bugs. But even though it has, this game is still being played every day by a lot of people here. And that's thanks to the mods that have been made for it. And for the people who are still playing it, some of them have questions about the game or have problems that they need help with. What they need when they ask these things is help and support and not a comment that "this game sucks."

So, after reading that previous thread and responding in there and then reading Tony3's idea, I made this thread. Anyone who doesn't like 2K9, post it in here. Give reasons why. Or don't. If you don't want to play it, it's your choice. Post your youtube videos about this game here and not in threads where there is an active interest in the game.

Let the people on this website who like playing this game talk about it without having to read over and over how much people who don't play it dislike it. There is more than enough room here for both of these games.

Above all and most of all, have fun.

I don't play MLB 2K9 because my computer can't run the game.

I also don't play MLB 2K9 because I own MLB 09: The Show for PlayStation 3.

Let me tell everyone here this...MLB 09 The Show is 'THE UNDISPUTED CHAMPION' of baseball video games. If you love baseball, there is absolutely no other alternative. Graphics, 40-man roster, stadium animations, stadium tours, the list is endless. And you don't have to worry about memory or graphics cards, processors and all that PC crap.

You can get PS3 40gb brand new for $299. The Show costs about $55.00.

It's not the game I want to bash, it's the COMPANY that had the coconuts to put this garbage on the market and actually take money for it.  

That said, I've never owned/played another 2K Sports title, so if in fact they do have a reputable history, I can't for the life of me figure out why they would jeapordize it with this release.  

But anyway, thanks for the thread, this enables me to "whine" and have my say.

I'll probably be back.   :D

I don't feel ripped off since it was twenty bucks or less. I have seen games costing 50 bucks that were complete garbage with no support or patch whatsoever and all the hype from lame review publishers that write postive reviews from their advertisers. I'm a pretty avid pc gamer. Getting any sort of game that isn't a lame port is rare. Pc gaming is pretty much dead except for online valve games and some mmo games.

I think they did a good job porting the game, especially implementing proper widescreen. The game just didn't cut it. The stadiums were pretty accurate and lighting during day and afternoon is nice. They did not nail down what mattered most. It's a shame that the crowd has better animation reactions than some of the outfielders or when one of the infielders decides it's a good idea to drop an acid tab or when there is a pickle play and the runner is running towards the mound. It just seemed like the people that made this game aren't really baseball fans, like the 2k9 basketball team tried to make this game. It's not like their first time around the merry go round either.

I don't necessarily feel ripped off either.  As a matter of fact, I didn't even pay for the game, I got it for my birthday.  That said though, why would a reputable company (I assume they are, I hear good things about their NBA games) risk future sales delivering a product to the public with the tagline that reads:  "Here's the game, it's broken, but hey, it's only 20 bucks."  It really doesn't even make sense to put it out there, they're really only hurting themselves.  

As far as the game, I agree that the graphics are definitely a step in the right direction; crowd, stadiums, etc., but as you stated, they left out the most important part, or simply just couldn't get it right.  I mean, it's really absurd to think that even 20 years ago Namco delivered a solid engine ((RBI Baseball) where the fielders actually caught the ball, and didn't go ice skating into the dugout after being thrown out, etc.  I can understand a dev team that can't quite get it right the first time as far as game play, but to be honest, there is absolutely no excuse for some of the things that happen in this game.  For example, I had the bases loaded and hit a single up the middle, and suddenly, all my runners froze in the basepaths, and the cutoff man just stood there with the ball, lol.  The game didn't freeze or crash, the play just stopped in it's tracks.  I hit any button and the play resumed again.

This game may be playabe to some people, and they may actually be enjoying it.  I certainly hope it is.  But I've resigned to the fact that the game is unplayable for me, and I won't hold it against them forever.  Bad move on their part?  You bet.  If they give it another shot next year and the reviews are good, I'll probably have to check it out.

For their own sake, they should probably take testing a little more serious next time, it may be their last chance.

While I have to be honest and agree that I do not feel ripped off, this game is far from being enjoyable. It is a piece of crap garbage time waster that makes me sick. It was shutting down on me towards the end of a game that I played all the way through and somehow actually won. It pissed me off when, another time before that, it shut down because I hit L3 using my PS3 controller. I took the time to learn their unhelpful menus and, to be honest, the menus still continued to be a problematic headache for me. Until I downloaded updated rosters for MLB THE SHOW 08. That's right. I would rather play my old baseball game, with an SD TV, than screw around with this piece of crap excuse of a new millenium video game. And, per chance that anyone is not understanding what I am saying, let me put it this way, with as much sincerity, and with as much thought as possible...

I WOULD RATHER PLAY MVP BASEBALL 2003 WITH NON UPDATED ROSTERS THAN YOUR PIECE OF CRAP GAME "2K9", YOU SORRY EXCUSE FOR GAME DEVELOPERS.

And, I mean that.

The game currently sits on top of my PC unused as I am enjoying losing 3 games in a row on the show 08, of course. I'm scheduled to lose my next game tonight or tomorrow.

This was a review I wrote about the game.

The gameplay of 2K9 is like pukin' on a pile of ****. The people who defend 2K9 always hail the controls for being original and better than mashing buttons, but I gotta disagree. What the **** is so original about holding down an analog stick, then pressing up on it to swing ? Left and right has no influence on the swing. That's a load of bullshit. All it really equates to is pressing a fuckin' button anyway. If they would've made left and right actually influence the direction of the swing, then maybe the controls would be worth praising. Fielding is an abortion. There is nothing to explain. You all know what I'm talkin' about. Pitching isn't bad, but it's not strong enough to make the other aspects of gameplay even tolerable. Hitting feels very scripted. I've seen base hits where the ball doesn't even come in contact with the bat. What the **** !?

They even fucked up the HR derby mode this year. There's no suspense in it. Because of the camera angles in this year's derby, the person playing knows whether it's an out or a HR before the ball lands. That's stupid and makes for a real lame HR derby. Do I even need to mention how unrealistic it is for all the players competing to hit 20 to 30 HRs in a 10 out round? And who the **** decided to break up a 10 out round into 3 pieces ? 2K7 and 2K8 at least had a decent HR Derby mode you could enjoy with some friends. All 2K had to do was leave it the **** alone. Everything they change is made worse.

The graphics are decent, but that doesn't mean much since the gameplay is basically retarded. The crowd looks great. It's definately one of the best graphical aspects of MLB 2K9. The stadiums look decent and have a good amount of detail, but they're not very accurate to how they look in reality. There are some strange things about the graphics as well. What's the deal with the blank scoreboards and clocks missing hands ?? What's with the Mickey Mouse batting gloves ? They're one solid color, just like some of the cleats in the game. They look like **** and actually do take away from the overall look of the game. The bats look too big in comparison with the batters. Some of the player's faces are ridiculous. Seriously, they look nothing like the actual player. The MS paint inspired dust clouds are lame enough to induce laughter. The uniforms in the PC version of the game never get dirty. That's just stupid and most likely a very lazy decision that the developers made - especially since it wasn't fixed in the patch. Collision detection could have it's own paragraph, but **** it, I'm not even gonna get into that issue.

Overall, the game is a fuckin' headache. You can't get a realistic game of baseball without meticulously fuckin' with the sliders like some kind of mad scientist and even then, the realism is questionable at best. I'd rate the game a 4.5, but since it was patched, I'll rate it a 5.0 outta 10. 2K Sports should be embarassed about this game and all the negative feedback from long term 2K fans. I have a feeling The Bigs 2 will be more enjoyable than this digital pile of ****.

This was a review I wrote about the game.

The gameplay of 2K9 is like pukin' on a pile of ****. The people who defend 2K9 always hail the controls for being original and better than mashing buttons, but I gotta disagree. What the **** is so original about holding down an analog stick, then pressing up on it to swing ? Left and right has no influence on the swing. That's a load of bullshit. All it really equates to is pressing a fuckin' button anyway. If they would've made left and right actually influence the direction of the swing, then maybe the controls would be worth praising. Fielding is an abortion. There is nothing to explain. You all know what I'm talkin' about. Pitching isn't bad, but it's not strong enough to make the other aspects of gameplay even tolerable. Hitting feels very scripted. I've seen base hits where the ball doesn't even come in contact with the bat. What the **** !?

They even fucked up the HR derby mode this year. There's no suspense in it. Because of the camera angles in this year's derby, the person playing knows whether it's an out or a HR before the ball lands. That's stupid and makes for a real lame HR derby. Do I even need to mention how unrealistic it is for all the players competing to hit 20 to 30 HRs in a 10 out round? And who the **** decided to break up a 10 out round into 3 pieces ? 2K7 and 2K8 at least had a decent HR Derby mode you could enjoy with some friends. All 2K had to do was leave it the **** alone. Everything they change is made worse.

The graphics are decent, but that doesn't mean much since the gameplay is basically retarded. The crowd looks great. It's definately one of the best graphical aspects of MLB 2K9. The stadiums look decent and have a good amount of detail, but they're not very accurate to how they look in reality. There are some strange things about the graphics as well. What's the deal with the blank scoreboards and clocks missing hands ?? What's with the Mickey Mouse batting gloves ? They're one solid color, just like some of the cleats in the game. They look like **** and actually do take away from the overall look of the game. The bats look too big in comparison with the batters. Some of the player's faces are ridiculous. Seriously, they look nothing like the actual player. The MS paint inspired dust clouds are lame enough to induce laughter. The uniforms in the PC version of the game never get dirty. That's just stupid and most likely a very lazy decision that the developers made - especially since it wasn't fixed in the patch. Collision detection could have it's own paragraph, but **** it, I'm not even gonna get into that issue.

Overall, the game is a fuckin' headache. You can't get a realistic game of baseball without meticulously fuckin' with the sliders like some kind of mad scientist and even then, the realism is questionable at best. I'd rate the game a 4.5, but since it was patched, I'll rate it a 5.0 outta 10. 2K Sports should be embarassed about this game and all the negative feedback from long term 2K fans. I have a feeling The Bigs 2 will be more enjoyable than this digital pile of ****.

Some very valid and interesting comments. Just curious why you dropped so many f-bombs but felt complelled to use **** other times?

Let me tell everyone here this...MLB 09 The Show is 'THE UNDISPUTED CHAMPION' of baseball video games. If you love baseball, there is absolutely no other alternative. Graphics, 40-man roster, stadium animations, stadium tours, the list is endless. And you don't have to worry about memory or graphics cards, processors and all that PC crap.

You can get PS3 40gb brand new for $299. The Show costs about $55.00.

I gotta agree... now the only trick is coming up with the money to buy my own cause I can't live at my friends house. lol

But, until that day comes, I bought a PS2 for $20 at a garage sale today and will be picking up The Show 09 for PS2 come payday... that should hold me over (and at the same time free up alot of space on my harddrive, I'll still leave MVP installed but won't need all the extra programs for it)...

Anyway, I've said it so many times in so many ways already so I'll just simplify it and say 2K9 sucks...

The only thing I really hate is when my outfielders act like they're on a train track and despite my efforts to make them move in a different direction, they keep going in a direction in which I don't want them to go. Oh, and Steve Phillips. He probably gropes the girl that brings the coffee to the booth. Or maybe he gropes Gary. Or both. At the same time.

Isn't it fitting how the worst baseball game of recent memory has the worst analyst of recent memory doing the color commentating? So fitting... lol

lol remember when they had that feature on Baseball Tonight where he would talk to a clone of himself? Very creepy and very very awkward. I wish they had Keith Hernandez doing the color commentary. He's provides an analysis that is very educational and insightful. He's also funny. I can't stand color commentators on FOX. Usually it's some has-been ballplayer that always praises some nobody that's been on a hot-streak for the past week like the guy is the second coming of Ted Williams or Cy Young. *Cough* EMILIO BONIFACIO *COUGH*

lol remember when they had that feature on Baseball Tonight where he would talk to a clone of himself? Very creepy and very very awkward. I wish they had Keith Hernandez doing the color commentary. He's provides an analysis that is very educational and insightful. He's also funny. I can't stand color commentators on FOX. Usually it's some has-been ballplayer that always praises some nobody that's been on a hot-streak for the past week like the guy is the second coming of Ted Williams or Cy Young. *Cough* EMILIO BONIFACIO *COUGH*

i'm all for giving guys their 15 minutes of fame though. what can it hurt? chances are it's as much exposure as they'll ever get, so let's just tip our caps to them. i think it's better than hearing about the same old teams every single night. i won't mention any names :)

Some very valid and interesting comments. Just curious why you dropped so many f-bombs but felt complelled to use **** other times?

I just copied and pasted my review from a text file. I liked it so much, I kept it. So, the filter lets fucked go but not ****, lol, i don't know. I don't get it either.

My gripe will always be the unrealistic fielding. The meters do not feel like they do anything. That is why I dislike The Show as well. I can just tap the base buttons and the throw would be hard as ****. Why I cannot control how hard or soft I throw the ball is beyond me. I know errors are up to chance, but MVP had it down with making you decide how important an out was. Is it worth the possible error from overthrowing....or do you play it safe with a light toss.

Hitting also pissed me off about both next gen games. I felt like everything was predetermined. How the hell do I pull a ball that the game tells me I am late on. I look at the reply and the ball is almost past the plate, yet I pull it. The unrealistic hitting results really got to me.

The next gen games just took the user control out of hitting an fielding and everything feels predetermined and I might as well watch a cpu vs cpu match because sometimes I felt as if my actions were arbitrary.

EDIT:

It just seemed as if the two companies do not really think about user control and realistic physics too much. User control is needed for gameplay and they focus more on presentation more than anything.

Archived