Kgbaseball's Roster Thread

kgbaseball

Money...and .... MONEY!

KG is a madman! He keeps his set MUCH more current than UR. I don't even think the dude sleeps. Or at least he has some sort of transaction tracker that buzz's him everytime a player changes his shorts.

That and the rating systems shear thoroughness has me basing my game on his rosters. I know the Mariners system back to front and KG has it down to the nitty-gritty.

Keep it up brutha!

I'd have to agree there, this is definitely my current roster of choice.

But as was said earlier, don't take other people's word for it, try the different rosters out yourself and see what you prefer.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give you a full explanation, and I'll try not to be biased.

First of all, Totte is correct. UR is completely separate from mine.

The whole reason I started creating my roster in April or May, whenever it was, was because I had grown tired of UR and its wildly inconsistent minor league ratings. It's a real pain in the butt to go through a season when the computer has a bunch of AA and A guys on the MLB roster because they are rated too highly to stay in AA or A for the whole season. Because of that, I decided to create a roster that had a much more in depth minor league system, with more accurate ratings. To avoid the computer calling up players that should be in the minor leagues, I developed a simple set of rules for minor leaguers in terms of what their ratings can/should be. Basically, I try to make sure that players in AAA are better than players in AA, who are better than players in A. If you look at my roster in MVPEdit, you'll notice that pitchers in AAA have control numbers anywhere from high 40's and up, depending on if they're truly MLB talent or not. Pitchers in AA have values from high 40s to mid 30s, and players in A ball have mid 30s and lower. If you look in the game, you'll notice that pitchers on the different levels are clearly distinguished ratings-wise with this staggered number system. For starters' stamina, AAA = 70 and up, AA = 65-75, and A = 55-65. It works the exact same way for batters, although the same numbers do not apply. I feel there is no comparison regarding how the minor league players of both rosters are rated. I believe my method is much more efficient. Of course it's not perfect, but I am constantly working on them every day to improve them.

Another big difference is the way MLB players are rated. I get my ratings from a member here named SwinginSoriano, who has his own method of rating players. All I do is transfer his ratings to my players, and if I disagree with anything, I simply change them myself. UR has a different set of formulas to rate players, and it is very effective. I have received PMs and emails saying that my MLB players are rated slightly too high, but I have seen many posts with regards to UR saying that many players' ratings are too low, so I'll say MLB ratings between both rosters are a push. Either you prefer UR's or you prefer mine; there isn't a huge difference.

One thing I pride myself on is having pitching repertoire accuracy in my roster. I have recently been going through each team's pitchers and digging up any scouting reports I can find to see what kind of pitches they throw. Tomorrow when I upload a new version of my roster, you'll find a lot of pitchers will have updated repertoires.

Transactions, transactions, transactions. In my mind, there is no comparison between the 2 rosters. My roster is more updated transaction-wise. Period. End of story. The only transaction I think I've missed since the release of my roster was the Luis Atilano of the Braves was traded or signed (don't remember which) to the Nationals. Big deal, right? 99% of you haven't even heard of Luis Atilano. Other than that, I am on top of the ball when it comes to transactions.

One downside of my roster is that Ur is the widely known MVP roster. It's found and discussed on many sites besides this one, and it's included in the 06 (and soon to be 07) mod. UR is out there, people know about it, and many people have no idea any other roster exists from UR. I spent hundreds of hours creating a roster so people could have the option. After trying mine out, you feel like UR is truly the "Ultimate" roster, that's fine with me. Another downside is that mine is more focused on the minor leagues, and most people could care less about the minor leagues, and that's fine too. If people decide UR is better for them because they're more familiar with it, good for them.

I'm curious as to why and how you think UR is more detailed than mine, dowie.

That just about sums up the differences between my roster and UR. Now that we both have career stats for MLBers and 2006 stats for minor league players, neither person can say their roster is the only roster with that feature.

Now, if Totte approached me and asked if we'd like to combine roster sets into the true "Ultimate Roster", I think I'd comply. There's no doubt we'd be the manpower strong enough to make the best roster set for any sports game ever. I don't see that happening, so for now, you will all have to suffer through having 3 (let's not forget SwinginSoriano's roster) rosters available on this site.

If you can't decide between the 3, try them all out yourself. Don't rely on other opinions on whose is the best. All 3 rosters have their high and low points, and none are perfect. They're kind of like sliders; everybody's is a little different, and what's good for one person isn't necessarily the best for another.

There's my novel. :)

KG I'm not dogging your rosters at all. I was just asking . I actual agree with you about focusing on the minor league system. It makes running a dynasty better if guys stay in the minors longer. Do you plan on having a updated version closer to spring training? Dowie

Can someone tell me how how to bring up grady little in mvp editor all i get is players im trying to change his id number. how do i get to the managers simple instructions please and if someone could post a picture of the editor like you did with adam wainwright would be very helpfull thanks in advance and do i have to have the game running to do this while running the editor.one more question where does the MBE file go in the plus version.

Is it just me or have all the 2-Seam fastballs been messed up in the game?

Aren't 2-Seamers supposed to break upward? Even though MVPEdit list the 2-Seamer as breaking upward correctly, when I play the game it seems that all 2-Seamers break downward like a sinker.

My theory is that the movement on all 2-Seamers are set too low. Getting backspin on a 2-Seamer is probably the easiest thing to do. I think all movement on every 2-Seamer should be alot higher because of this.

No i said the break is upward because of the backspin and the seams on the ball. What should happen, and I've seen Peavy throw a good 2 seam is if throwing to a right handed batter, the pitch will will be down and outside then because of the backspin will break back towards inside and up.

If you notice the break in MVPEdit it'll say something like 7 to 3 or 4 to 11 on the movement so there is an updward break on the ball. It's just that in the game it seems to drop instead.

Well, I'm positive 2 seamers are designed to break to the right if you're a right hander and left if you're left handed.

All the breaks in MVPEdit will stay how they currently are, as that's supposed to be how the pitch breaks. What you saw Peavy throw may have been a really hard slider or a cutter, perhaps.

2 seamers are basically sinkers. Right handed pitchers will see it break down and to the right, or just to the right. Vice versa for lefties, and any upward movement is an illusion.

This is absolutely true. Physics demands that when throwing overhand, from a mound, DOWN to a batter's location, there will be no "upward" movement. As the ball leaves the hand, it instantly begins to decelerate, therefore, all "lift" is declining due to a drain of pressure (see Bernouli's principle about water pressure/lift). Since the rate of speed on the sphere is decaying, it simply CANNOT climb, without positive pressure, such as thrust behind it to propel it. Due to a break right or left, depending on which hand you throw the 2 seamer with, an optical illusion to the batter is achieved, depending on many factors, i.e., height of pitcher, height of batter, quality of pitch, and the angle of the plane from the mound to the point of crossing the plate. It simply looks like it is breaking up.

Most of the time, the 4-seam is the one that looks like it rises. As others have pointed out (good post lautrec), it is an optical illusion...one that comes about because the 4-seam doesn't drop as much as any other pitch, therefor looks like it is rising.

This is absolutely true. Physics demands that when throwing overhand, from a mound, DOWN to a batter's location, there will be no "upward" movement. As the ball leaves the hand, it instantly begins to decelerate, therefore, all "lift" is declining due to a drain of pressure (see Bernouli's principle about water pressure/lift). Since the rate of speed on the sphere is decaying, it simply CANNOT climb, without positive pressure, such as thrust behind it to propel it. Due to a break right or left, depending on which hand you throw the 2 seamer with, an optical illusion to the batter is achieved, depending on many factors, i.e., height of pitcher, height of batter, quality of pitch, and the angle of the plane from the mound to the point of crossing the plate. It simply looks like it is breaking up.

These posts are correct. Two-seamer fastballs will have a tendency to sink and tail to the right for a righty and left for a lefty. A cutter which is a two seam grip usually will break the other way.

However, with some submarine and sidearm pitchers a two seamer can rise if the pitcher gets "underneath" the ball and not on top of it at release.

some Yankees notes:

- Eric Duncan isn´t a top 100 prospect anymore, Jose Tabata is with Tyler Clippard in there as well.

- Derek Jeter and Hideki Matsui body seems a little "fat".

- Andy Pettitte will wear #46, Kei Igawa #29.

- Marcos Vechionacci skin tone is a little light, it should be darker (but not too much).

MLB notes:

- David Ortiz is wayyy too skinny.

- Luis Castillo is wayyy too fat.

that´s it, great roster overall, best out there no question about it...

Good call. I've changed it to have Millwood, Padilla, McCarthy, Tejeda, Volquez. Thanks for the heads up.

The Rangers they signed Bruce Chen today to a minor league non-roster deal and Reds re-signed LHP Eddie Guardado to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

Keep up the good work!

I'll give you a full explanation, and I'll try not to be biased.

First of all, Totte is correct. UR is completely separate from mine.

The whole reason I started creating my roster in April or May, whenever it was, was because I had grown tired of UR and its wildly inconsistent minor league ratings. It's a real pain in the butt to go through a season when the computer has a bunch of AA and A guys on the MLB roster because they are rated too highly to stay in AA or A for the whole season. Because of that, I decided to create a roster that had a much more in depth minor league system, with more accurate ratings. To avoid the computer calling up players that should be in the minor leagues, I developed a simple set of rules for minor leaguers in terms of what their ratings can/should be. Basically, I try to make sure that players in AAA are better than players in AA, who are better than players in A. If you look at my roster in MVPEdit, you'll notice that pitchers in AAA have control numbers anywhere from high 40's and up, depending on if they're truly MLB talent or not. Pitchers in AA have values from high 40s to mid 30s, and players in A ball have mid 30s and lower. If you look in the game, you'll notice that pitchers on the different levels are clearly distinguished ratings-wise with this staggered number system. For starters' stamina, AAA = 70 and up, AA = 65-75, and A = 55-65. It works the exact same way for batters, although the same numbers do not apply. I feel there is no comparison regarding how the minor league players of both rosters are rated. I believe my method is much more efficient. Of course it's not perfect, but I am constantly working on them every day to improve them.

Another big difference is the way MLB players are rated. I get my ratings from a member here named SwinginSoriano, who has his own method of rating players. All I do is transfer his ratings to my players, and if I disagree with anything, I simply change them myself. UR has a different set of formulas to rate players, and it is very effective. I have received PMs and emails saying that my MLB players are rated slightly too high, but I have seen many posts with regards to UR saying that many players' ratings are too low, so I'll say MLB ratings between both rosters are a push. Either you prefer UR's or you prefer mine; there isn't a huge difference.

One thing I pride myself on is having pitching repertoire accuracy in my roster. I have recently been going through each team's pitchers and digging up any scouting reports I can find to see what kind of pitches they throw. Tomorrow when I upload a new version of my roster, you'll find a lot of pitchers will have updated repertoires.

Transactions, transactions, transactions. In my mind, there is no comparison between the 2 rosters. My roster is more updated transaction-wise. Period. End of story. The only transaction I think I've missed since the release of my roster was the Luis Atilano of the Braves was traded or signed (don't remember which) to the Nationals. Big deal, right? 99% of you haven't even heard of Luis Atilano. Other than that, I am on top of the ball when it comes to transactions.

One downside of my roster is that Ur is the widely known MVP roster. It's found and discussed on many sites besides this one, and it's included in the 06 (and soon to be 07) mod. UR is out there, people know about it, and many people have no idea any other roster exists from UR. I spent hundreds of hours creating a roster so people could have the option. After trying mine out, you feel like UR is truly the "Ultimate" roster, that's fine with me. Another downside is that mine is more focused on the minor leagues, and most people could care less about the minor leagues, and that's fine too. If people decide UR is better for them because they're more familiar with it, good for them.

I'm curious as to why and how you think UR is more detailed than mine, dowie.

That just about sums up the differences between my roster and UR. Now that we both have career stats for MLBers and 2006 stats for minor league players, neither person can say their roster is the only roster with that feature.

Now, if Totte approached me and asked if we'd like to combine roster sets into the true "Ultimate Roster", I think I'd comply. There's no doubt we'd be the manpower strong enough to make the best roster set for any sports game ever. I don't see that happening, so for now, you will all have to suffer through having 3 (let's not forget SwinginSoriano's roster) rosters available on this site.

If you can't decide between the 3, try them all out yourself. Don't rely on other opinions on whose is the best. All 3 rosters have their high and low points, and none are perfect. They're kind of like sliders; everybody's is a little different, and what's good for one person isn't necessarily the best for another.

There's my novel. :)

I REALLY LIKE THIS ROSTER! and I'll do me best to help you keep it up to date.

Thanks for your work!

A couple of new versions uploaded, updated as of 2/6 at noon CST.

There are literally tons of changes in this version. I added many, many prospects to almost every team. I also tried to predict where minor leaguers will start the 07 season, so you'll see a bunch of players have moved up or down a level as a result.

I redid the whole cyberface numbering, so let me know if there's any mismatched faces. If you download the plus version, you'll need the most recent models.big, found here.

Enjoy! :)

(p.s. I do not believe this version will work with savreader. You'll have to download the one from eamods.com for that.)