EA Submits Proposal to Purchase Take Two

sfgiantsflgators

PC baseball game players want accurate stats, accurate pitch counts, etc, etc. They just want to play the game. The hell with anything else.

My Dream features for a baseball game:

*30 MLB Teams, 3 Levels of Minor Leagues, Winter Leagues, Japanese Teams, and International Teams.

In my opinion, it's BS we can't have that many teams in a game. FIFA Soccer has how many leagues? Exactly. Let's have a baseball game go "global".

*3 Mini Games: Bullpen session, individual defense, baserunning, and batting practice.

Is there anything else that needs to be there? I loved the batting and pitching game idea from MVP 05, but it was too gimmicky. Just give us batting practice and the basics.

*EVERY uniform

Is it so hard to do this? This should be the easiest thing to do. A little research and graphic design... cmon now.

*Tiger Woods style player creation

An absolute necessity in a baseball game, as we can easily see the players' faces. How NBA (and NHL, to an extent) have it and MLB does not, is beyond me.

*College Integration (Draft imports)

Only a possibility if EA were to acquire Take 2 and still maintain NCAA, which is a longshot.

*Spring Training

Enough said. If you can throw in a game with the BC team, even better.

On the bubble:

*Custom Stadiums

Only because they never give you enough options to make anything truly unique. Give us a million options, and it's worth it. Otherwise, leave it be.

Sports games need to be a representation of two things: play on the field and the front office. That means gameplay and franchise mode need to be the focus, and a yearlong representation. Solid gameplay along with every facet of the front office should be a necessity, especially for baseball. None of the hot dog and program BS. None of the mini game BS. Simplicity as a simulation which represents the sport 365 days a year.

To me, the only game that represents all of these things is Madden... made by who? EA, of course. We all had our reservations about that game before, but it really has made huge strides, especially this year. If EA could handle NBA and MLB like it does Madden, with gameplay first (with Brinkman on board, you know it would be), then we're all in good shape.

Let's take a look at EA's big time sports games:

Madden (Take 2: All Pro): Easily their best Madden yet. In my opinion, it's one of the best sports games ever. All Pro is borderline because you're playing with fake teams.

NBA Live (Take 2: Upgrade): Not nearly as good as NBA 2k8. The biggest loss in the possible merger.

NHL (Take 2: Downgrade): NHL 08 is one of the deepest and best sports sims on the market. Dare I say... the best sports game on the market?

MLB (None): The remnants of MVP were fantastic, but it doesn't matter since there's no competition in the 3rd party area.

NCAA Football (Take 2: n/a): Average, still surprisingly entertaining. Gameplay is lacking, everywhere else is fantastic. If gameplay catches up to Madden, you have a great game.

NCAA Basketball (Take 2: Push): Both were alright, with a slight edge to College Basketball 2k8. Both games could use some help.

FIFA (Take 2: n/a): The best and most realistic sports sim on the market, no question. Extremely deep.

My game rankings:

1.)FIFA 08

2.)NHL 08

3.)Madden 08

4.)NBA 2k8

5.)NHL 2k8

6.)NCAA Football 08

7.)College Basketball 2k8

8.)MLB 2k7

9.)All Pro Football 2k8

10.)NCAA March Madness 08

11.)NBA Live 08

I think this year, you see MLB 2k8 jump up to #4. Brinkman made a horrific game in 2k6 go to a good, but not great, game in 2k7. What's to say he doesn't turn a good game into a great game this year?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright I am back today, posting from work, my head alot clearer than last night (life issues, but what do you guys have to do with my issues. Right?). I am still against the deal, and the reason is still, EA will essentially have no competition therefore the urgency to make quality work to compete and sell more than others isnt there.

I understand the fiscal responsibility, and that this is a great deal for Take Two stockholders, but for gamers this is a raw deal.

im praying this happens because like chicubs720 and Y4L said, baseball for the PC is the only game i care about

of course thats a minority view to the extreme, and that's why this deal probably won't happen...ever.

More than likely the deal will go through, I wouldn't doubt an EA hostile take over. The only thing is, I'm afraid PC baseball will get shafted. It will either be because of the lack of a pc baseball game (which I don't see happening because EA usually makes PC games) or the Quality of a PC baseball game compared to its console version will be crap. Look at Madden and NHL. Both of those games I have played on the 360 and PC. Both are better on Xbox 360 because all they did with the PC version was take the previous year and updated rosters, while on the 360 they fine tuned everything and added the new features.

I had High Heat ('99 I think?) for the Playstation 1. Man oh man... I loved that game. I might have to dust that puppy off.

(Too bad every game ever allows one LESS character than I need for MY NAME in the Last Name field... :wink: )

Moderator RaptorQuiz doesn't fit in the first name n last name boxes?

More than likely the deal will go through, I wouldn't doubt an EA hostile take over. The only thing is, I'm afraid PC baseball will get shafted. It will either be because of the lack of a pc baseball game (which I don't see happening because EA usually makes PC games) or the Quality of a PC baseball game compared to its console version will be crap. Look at Madden and NHL. Both of those games I have played on the 360 and PC. Both are better on Xbox 360 because all they did with the PC version was take the previous year and updated rosters, while on the 360 they fine tuned everything and added the new features.

really? wow well there's hope, i hope EA doesn't abandon us again, that would just be cruel

viva la pc baseball

1. Take Two Entertainment (TTWO - Nasdaq)

As of 2/22: 17.36 + .36, 52 week hi/lo: 24.80/11.82; market cap: 1.29B

Link: http://finance.google.com/finance?q=TTWO

2. Electronic Arts (ERTS - Nasdaq)

As of 2/22: 49.74 + .79, 52 week hi/lo: 61.62/43.62; market cap: 15.76B

Link: http://finance.google.com/finance?q=ERTS

Um... first off, I already posted all that information. Secondly... what are you trying to say, in response to my comment that you quoted?

You do realize that NASDAQ is not a stock exchange, right?

There are 7 stock exchanges in the United States: The New York Stock Exchange, American, Chicago (Formerly "Midwest"), Boston, Pacific, Philadelphia, National (formerly "Cincinnati"). These are the exchanges that trade securities in the "first market," meaning where listed stocks trade on the exchange floor.

NASDAQ is simply a quoting system for unlisted securities (and listed securities selling over-the-counter) selling in the over-the-counter market (these are the "second" and "third" markets, respectively), meaning OFF the stock exchanges. NASDAQ = "National Assosiation of Securities Dealers Automated Quotation" system.

...just sayin'...

Ok, if it does happen who says EA is even gonna do a PC version, so, I for one OPPOSE this deal, because EA's games have been going south since 2005 on the PC, so let's just wait and see.

This sounds very similar though, almost like Microsoft proposing to buy Yahoo, 2 weeks ago.

This is great for me, because I only care about PC games, period. So, that means a PC baseball game which we've been all waiting for for 4 years, and nowhere for the quality NBA Live to go but up, assuming the people who worked on the 2k basketball games work on Live.

I don't know what kind of computer/monitor you have, but I have madden 08 and it looks tons better on my computer than it does on a console

If the deal does go through then everybody who likes MVP 2005 needs to send e-mails to EA. We should come up with a realistic list of what we want in a PC baseball game and have all who care sign the petition. And then after we send our e-mails we send em again and again. This seems like the only way to really get them to listen.

I don't know what kind of computer/monitor you have, but I have madden 08 and it looks tons better on my computer than it does on a console

Well as kraw said yesterday

maybe 10% of computer can, most can not. When we reach the point most can then their is money in it.

The money is in console because there is a bigger interest in that then PC gaming as I said. If you compare the Madden sales for Xbobx 360 vs the sales for PC you will see a big difference in them.

If the deal does go through then everybody who likes MVP 2005 needs to send e-mails to EA. We should come up with a realistic list of what we want in a PC baseball game and have all who care sign the petition. And then after we send our e-mails we send em again and again. This seems like the only way to really get them to listen.

if it happens then the first thing everybody would have to beg them for is a PC version ! thats my biggest fear right now, that the deal will go through but EA will only release console versions. Dam.n those consoles.

Well as kraw said yesterday

The money is in console because there is a bigger interest in that then PC gaming as I said. If you compare the Madden sales for Xbobx 360 vs the sales for PC you will see a big difference in them.

Oh, I get that completely (though it's not that expensive to get a good computer these days), but you said

"or the Quality of a PC baseball game compared to its console version will be crap. Look at Madden and NHL. Both of those games I have played on the 360 and PC. Both are better on Xbox 360"

Which isn't necessarily true

The only problem I have with this is, I love the NHL 2K series. If this deal goes through, I have to live with the EA NHL series, which is not terribly bad, but it can't compare to the Take Two series which is in my opinion fantastic. (I just wish it would come out on the PC. However the X-box 360 & PS3 versions are bar none, the best)

Oh, I get that completely (though it's not that expensive to get a good computer these days), but you said

"or the Quality of a PC baseball game compared to its console version will be crap. Look at Madden and NHL. Both of those games I have played on the 360 and PC. Both are better on Xbox 360"

Which isn't necessarily true

I wasn't basing it on just graphics. They excluded features in 08 PC that where in 08 Xbox and PS3

Archived