EA Submits Proposal to Purchase Take Two

sfgiantsflgators

BigRog - your obnoxious tendancy to chime in on every possible issue in the forums aside, and also ignoring your clear lack of understanding on the difference of the hardware capability of a desktop PC versus a dedicated gaming system like the Xbox...

...do not needlessly and purposely circumvent the profanity filter just b/c you feel like it.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EA cant make a decent sports game in general (except nhl 08', only took 16 years). mlb 2k7 was a decent game, and I expect 2k8 to be alot better.

You obviously never played NHL 99... Shame on you.

I would love to see anyone argue that the gameplay in All Pro Football 2k8 was better than Madden 08. Honestly, I think Madden 08 was one of the best sports games ever. I'm someone who's argued for games like NCAA Football 05 and what not, but going from a mediocre game like NCAA Football 08 to 05 is like night and day. Nine times out of ten, a mediocre next gen game will be better than one on the previous generation.

Everyone needs to be patient. We're all ready to pan MLB 2k8, but none of us have played it. I think it will be a good game, what's to say that the Godfather of MVP baseball would do a bad job? They're in the second year of a three year plan, and they're doing it the right way by focusing on gameplay.

We all talk down EA, but there's only two 3rd Party sports games available, and NHL 08 was much better than 2k8. You can argue that with the success of Madden 08, the flagship game for EA, makes EA the more viable company. Also, with the "gameplay first" philosophy adopted with Madden, that it may a good thing that EA may buy out 2k8. If they don't touch GTA, use the NBA 2k8 engine, we're in good shape. I'm all for competitive markets, but if EA does the same job it did with NHL and Madden, I'm content.

Artistically (is that the right term to use?) , EA buying out Take 2 would be bad, because it's just another giant getting bigger. Monopolies in the entertainment world are not a good thing, as one entity controlling everything helps to kill the creative process. That's what I'm worried about, and I think that may be a long term problem. The sports gaming industry, however, I think it's for the better. Better to have one team of the best guys, than a mixed bag of two.

I apologize about the filter thing, I didn't know if that would actually work. It won't happen again, I promise.

As for the PC thing, thats what thespungo told me once.

I don't usually come into arguments and throw out bs remarks. When it comes to PC I get the knowledge from what I am told.

When It comes to console gaming though, I know what I'm talking about.

I also found your number very interesting. I myself and in the business field in college and found what you were saying about Take 2 throwing away a bid that was more then what they are worth very reasonable.

I do not give a **** about fiscal responsibility... I am sure gamers dont give a **** about fiscal resposibility they just want games ...

And that is why you were told to "grow up."

At this point Take Two can only be described as a company in decline. Rapid decline at that. They just blew a chance at resurrecting the value of their company, an opportunity in which the value of the offer far outstripped the actual value of the company itself.

Here in the real world, companies exist to make money. Take Two isn't doing that. At least not well enough to INCREASE their value. It's on a steep decline. That means they're failing.

And all this b/s about EA buying T2 would quash creativity... uh... have you ever worked with programmers? I have - I used to be one. The only thing that controls what a programmer puts out, is his desire to see if he can do better than what HE did last time. Programmers compete with themselves - they ALWAYS view every other programmer as an inferior being*.

* - Yes, this is a gross over-generalization. But shockingly often, it is also true. :)

No matter what happens I see pc baseball being a letdown. No one wants to put the effort forward with the next gen systems bringing in all the money.

When I worked at Toys R Us, we only sold 1 copy of madden out of the 50 we got in. That shows that more people would rather have a console game then a pc game and that the money, due to interest, is in consoles and not pc.

If you were specifically talking about PC Madden, than I would say its just a matter of location. I doubt that Toys R' Us is where most PC Gamers go to buy their games.

You obviously never played NHL 99... Shame on you.

I would love to see anyone argue that the gameplay in All Pro Football 2k8 was better than Madden 08. Honestly, I think Madden 08 was one of the best sports games ever. I'm someone who's argued for games like NCAA Football 05 and what not, but going from a mediocre game like NCAA Football 08 to 05 is like night and day. Nine times out of ten, a mediocre next gen game will be better than one on the previous generation.

Everyone needs to be patient. We're all ready to pan MLB 2k8, but none of us have played it. I think it will be a good game, what's to say that the Godfather of MVP baseball would do a bad job? They're in the second year of a three year plan, and they're doing it the right way by focusing on gameplay.

We all talk down EA, but there's only two 3rd Party sports games available, and NHL 08 was much better than 2k8. You can argue that with the success of Madden 08, the flagship game for EA, makes EA the more viable company. Also, with the "gameplay first" philosophy adopted with Madden, that it may a good thing that EA may buy out 2k8. If they don't touch GTA, use the NBA 2k8 engine, we're in good shape. I'm all for competitive markets, but if EA does the same job it did with NHL and Madden, I'm content.

Artistically (is that the right term to use?) , EA buying out Take 2 would be bad, because it's just another giant getting bigger. Monopolies in the entertainment world are not a good thing, as one entity controlling everything helps to kill the creative process. That's what I'm worried about, and I think that may be a long term problem. The sports gaming industry, however, I think it's for the better. Better to have one team of the best guys, than a mixed bag of two.

I actually have played NHL 99...

Great post though, this is what I am trying to say.

I do not give a **** about fiscal responsibility, I know you are proud of what you learned this week but give me a break. I am sure gamers dont give a **** about fiscal resposibility they just want games made with quality, and without competitors, EA doesnt have to try very hard when making games, case in point madden, which they always get wrong, but I buy because its the only nfl football game thats up to date.

It is not up to the gamer it is up to investors and what is best for them.

EA is going down a road where they will take over Take2 if they like it or not. Take2 does not have the money to fight a takeover. To the investors I'm sure this looks like a sweet deal.

If you were specifically talking about PC Madden, than I would say its just a matter of location. I doubt that Toys R' Us is where most PC Gamers go to buy their games.

Ahh I was. Must have left that out. I saw one guy trying to return one once at EB games. Said he didn't need the pc version but wanted a ps3 version. Wherever I have gone, I usually see a lot of sports pc games such as madden at the store. Don't know if its because there stock is constantly running out and they are resupplying it or if they are overstocked. thats just my observation.

I do not give a **** about fiscal responsibility, I know you are proud of what you learned this week but give me a break. I am sure gamers dont give a **** about fiscal resposibility they just want games made with quality, and without competitors, EA doesnt have to try very hard when making games, case in point madden, which they always get wrong, but I buy because its the only nfl football game thats up to date.

Timay, basically they are just saying calm down just a bit. No matter what kind of games you like to play or no matter what platform you prefer to play baseball on now, and to me it's no big deal if you use the console now, you got to realize that this is a PC-based forum and to have another PC baseball game for us to have would be perfect. That's why everyone wants EA to buy those guys, for more PC baseball.

And you make a very valid point with the Madden series. They're lazy over at EA each year. Just watch what is going to happen this year. EA is going to have a big sales push for the release of Madden in August and everyone's going to go nuts waiting for it. Then when they get it and install it and come back in here and tell us what they think, what's going to happen? They are going to upset over another Madden release that doesn't deal with the problems the loyal Madden people have been talking about for a long time. But I don't buy Madden so I don't care that much. I just want PC baseball. And so do a lot of these guys. That's what you got to understand.

It is not up to the gamer it is up to investors and what is best for them.

Do you ever wonder what percentage of investors in companies like EA or T2 have ever even SEEN one of their games, much less play them regularly? :) Of course, I'm invested in Pepsi, and I F'ing hate Pepsi. :wink:

To the investors I'm sure this looks like a sweet deal.

At this point, it would've been an EXCELLENT deal from the investors' eyes. But who knows about next week, y'know? Ah, the beauty and the ugliness of the stock market. Too bad neither one of these two companies in question are big enough to qualify to trade on one of the exchanges.

Great post though, this is what I am trying to say.

Is it really though? Because I'm trying to say that EA buying out Take 2 is a good thing (except for creative purposes, and outside of GTA, there's little effect here), whereas you said it's the worst thing possible. Creativity may decline eventually but it's purely hypothetical. EA becoming bigger may put us down a slippery slope, or we may never even get there. This current deal, not the future hypothetical deals, does not have serious consequences with the creative aspect of gaming.

My point is, EA puts out better sports games. They've been far more consistent with their products and have more resources to make the games better. In an area where there's very little creativity, like sports games, you want the best of the best all on the same team. It's a true to life thing, not fantasy.

My thinking is, EA is essentially out of new gimmicks in sports games, so gameplay is becoming a bigger focus. They're the dominant company, they don't need to do anything to sell games. 2k needs to do things different and be innovative to sell games. Usually, innovation is a good thing; however, not for sports games. Innovation takes away from gameplay. We don't need 20 different mini-games about selling hot dogs. EA's direction with Madden 08, essentially focusing only on gameplay, will hopefully spread to other games.

And you obviously did not play NHL 99 enough, as the onl thing that was bad about it was Eric Lindros on the cover.

My thinking is, EA is essentially out of new gimmicks in sports games, so gameplay is becoming a bigger focus. They're the dominant company, they don't need to do anything to sell games. 2k needs to do things different and be innovative to sell games. Usually, innovation is a good thing; however, not for sports games. Innovation takes away from gameplay. We don't need 20 different mini-games about selling hot dogs. EA's direction with Madden 08, essentially focusing only on gameplay, will hopefully spread to other games.

Damn right. PC baseball gamers don't want the bells and whistles that go with some of those console games. I remember a X-box baseball game from a few years ago, ESPN baseball that you could have your own relaxation area that had a air hockey table in it, among other things. If I want air hockey I'll download a air hockey game.

PC baseball game players want accurate stats, accurate pitch counts, etc, etc. They just want to play the game. The hell with anything else.

Right now I am majoring in Financial Accounting but my business professor last semester introduced me to the stock market and I thought it was highly fascinating.

Lots of detail-oriented learning in that major, boy-howdy. As for the various securities markets - I am finding them quite interesting too. Try taking an elective or two in the field - see if it STAYS interesting to you. If you find you really do enjoy it, working at an investment firm of some kind might work out for you.

And you obviously did not play NHL 99 enough, as the only thing that was bad about it was Eric Lindros on the cover.

:lmao:

PC baseball game players want accurate stats, accurate pitch counts, etc, etc. They just want to play the game. The hell with anything else.

Accurate stadiums, uniforms, player models, and faces might be nice too. (I put these in order of my personal preference).

Is it really though? Because I'm trying to say that EA buying out Take 2 is a good thing (except for creative purposes, and outside of GTA, there's little effect here), whereas you said it's the worst thing possible. Creativity may decline eventually but it's purely hypothetical. EA becoming bigger may put us down a slippery slope, or we may never even get there. This current deal, not the future hypothetical deals, does not have serious consequences with the creative aspect of gaming.

My point is, EA puts out better sports games. They've been far more consistent with their products and have more resources to make the games better. In an area where there's very little creativity, like sports games, you want the best of the best all on the same team. It's a true to life thing, not fantasy.

And you obviously did not play NHL 99 enough, as the onl thing that was bad about it was Eric Lindros on the cover.

EA does do well with competition though. Look at Skate. This was there first year with the game and it is already better then the long lived Tony Hawk series. They focused on gameplay, as you said EA usually does, and they didn't add a **** load of features. They made it simplistic to the sense where you were just riding your skateboard around town. Add the nice new analog controls where one of them control your feet movement on the board where the other controls your hips = rotations and such, you got a breakthrough game.

I really don't know my stance on this though. As a game, I love the competition in games because it makes you think before purchasing one. Also as a gamer, I would love EA to bring back baseball. On the financial side though, The best bet is for Take 2 to sell. Kind of gets you thinking. I'm just glad I don't own stock in them or work for them.

Also as a gamer, I would love EA to bring back baseball. On the financial side though, The best bet is for Take 2 to sell. Kind of gets you thinking. I'm just glad I don't own stock in them or work for them.

As someone said earlier, even though they turned it down now they won't be able to hold off EA much longer.

Look at High Heat in the early part of this decade. There are still people around that think that because the way they made that game it is the best game around. High Heat was a game for true baseball fans. Graphically you would not like it but it had a lot going for it. But they could not compete with EA. They went bankrupt as we all know. I only hope 2k can come to their senses and sell to EA before long.

I had High Heat ('99 I think?) for the Playstation 1. Man oh man... I loved that game. I might have to dust that puppy off.

(Too bad every game ever allows one LESS character than I need for MY NAME in the Last Name field... :wink: )

I have this problem as well. :lmao:

Yeah I know what you are saying. I'm just trying to show that tech, both points are valid.

Overall though EA will get the game because there aren't many other powerhouse gaming companies to outbid EA. Microsoft maybe but then we will just see exclusive stuff for Xbox360 and PC Windows Gaming. When Halo: Combat Evolved was being planned, bungie worked for Take 2 with the Rockstar division. Halo CE was going to be released on pc, Playstation 2, and Xbox. Microsoft bought Bungie and Halo CE was then made exclusive for Xbox with a PC Windows (I believe) game that came out later that year.

Damn right. PC baseball gamers don't want the bells and whistles that go with some of those console games. I remember a X-box baseball game from a few years ago, ESPN baseball that you could have your own relaxation area that had a air hockey table in it, among other things. If I want air hockey I'll download a air hockey game.

I think that was Sega's 2k football game, and the air hockey (& table football) was the best part of the game. The rest sucked

Too bad neither one of these two companies in question are big enough to qualify to trade on one of the exchanges.

1. Take Two Entertainment (TTWO - Nasdaq)

As of 2/22: 17.36 + .36, 52 week hi/lo: 24.80/11.82; market cap: 1.29B

Link: http://finance.google.com/finance?q=TTWO

2. Electronic Arts (ERTS - Nasdaq)

As of 2/22: 49.74 + .79, 52 week hi/lo: 61.62/43.62; market cap: 15.76B

Link: http://finance.google.com/finance?q=ERTS

BTW, Atari (ATAR - Nasday) as of 2/22 is at 1.43 and only 19.27M Market Share. LOL

And as far as the stock indices go, Microsoft is the only software company that I know of that's on dow's list. The wilshire 5000 is a collection of 5000 stocks so EA and Take Two may be on it. I'm not sure about the others.

Links: Wilshire 5000, Dow Jones. Newscorp owns Dow Jones, Fox, NY Post, yada, yada, yada. Rupert Murdoch is a rich man.

PS As far as the glory days of old games, I'm still waiting for a Final Fantasy type of game for the PC that doesn't require the internet. LOL

Archived