MLB Gameday Thread

Kccitystar

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Jim825  well, after being 1 for 11 with RISP it wasn't looking good and King coughing a 3-0 lead, I don't have confidence in this team.  hey, they beat the Jays - not the Rays.  another good win, though.  they'll have to keep winning for me to jump back onto the wagon.

7 hours ago, Ritchie said:

@Jim825  well, after being 1 for 11 with RISP it wasn't looking good and King coughing a 3-0 lead, I don't have confidence in this team.  hey, they beat the Jays - not the Rays.  another good win, though.  they'll have to keep winning for me to jump back onto the wagon.

You know, I have to agree. Just because they won this series -very impressively I may add- it has not changed how I feel about them one bit.

I’m hopeful that they do well but right now I have no confidence in them at all and I say that because of how they have been playing since Opening Day. Simple as that. I’d like to see them play as well as -no, make that BETTER- than the Rays. They have it in them. Tampa trades Blake Snell over the winter and Tyler Glasnow is out for a considerable amount of time but those guys keep winning because they approach the  game better.

And I am still not sold on Gary Sanchez even though he is starting to hit again. The POS has done nothing for years now except strike out and average a passed ball a game and now because he hits a few home runs and gets some hits all is forgiven? Not with me.

1 hour ago, Ritchie said:

James K is throwing K's tonight..

And Ca$hman traded him plus 2 for 'bum' Sony Gray.

It’s always easy to make judgements about past decisions. At the time, Gray was one of the top AL pitchers available at the trading deadline.  Kaprelian was recovering from Tommy John surgery.  Gray was hardly a bum at that time having made the All Star game and finishing 3rd in Cy Young voting in 2015.   Kaprelian, meanwhile, had never progressed beyond high-A  (Tampa Yankees) and was still rehabbing. 

Can you honestly say that if you were in Cashman’s position you wouldn’t trade a rehabbing single-A pitcher and two other minor leaguers for an All Star pitcher, with a proven history,  entering his prime years?

I never said it worked out well. Not all trades (or free agent signings) do, but unless you have a crystal ball and can see the future, you have no way of being 100% certain of how a deal will turn out. 

Plus, the Yankees aren’t the only team that makes mistakes.  Name me a team that hasn’t made bad trades or signings. The Yankees’ mistakes are just more visible because of who they are. 

30 minutes ago, Ritchie said:

Pathetic team.

You know, there's another NY team worth watching as well, and the owner himself actually talks to the fanbase!

38 minutes ago, Jim825 said:

I never said it worked out well. Not all trades (or free agent signings) do, but unless you have a crystal ball and can see the future, you have no way of being 100% certain of how a deal will turn out. 

Plus, the Yankees aren’t the only team that makes mistakes.  Name me a team that hasn’t made bad trades or signings. The Yankees’ mistakes are just more visible because of who they are. 

What we always lose sight of as well is that trading for anybody that either is currently rehabbing for TJS or needs TJS is usually a high risk high reward trade, depending on what their upside was prior to the injury.

One thing that fans keep forgetting to realize is that with the bad deals/trades that the Yankees make, the team, because of the market they are in and the ownership they have can actually absorb bad deals and still be competitive to an extent. Other teams do not have that luxury, and if you follow other franchises you'll see that there have been teams whose bad signings/awful trades set their organization's competitive window back years, if not a decade at least.

I love how everyone tries to convince these guys about the realities of a given team to  no avail.  You're absolutely right.  Every team deals with the 1000's of variables you face and can't predict each year.  Any Rays fans see Glasnow heading to the IL and probably going to miss a good chunk if not the rest of the season, etc., etc., etc. etc. ?

2 hours ago, Gordo said:

I love how everyone tries to convince these guys about the realities of a given team to  no avail.  You're absolutely right.  Every team deals with the 1000's of variables you face and can't predict each year.  Any Rays fans see Glasnow heading to the IL and probably going to miss a good chunk if not the rest of the season, etc., etc., etc. etc. ?

It's a long season with peaks and valleys.

9 minutes ago, stealth2920 said:

Rays could be in trouble. ☹️

I think it’s almost inevitable that the Rays trade for a starter than can eat innings. They could probably also make a trade to bring Morton back from Atlanta.

Glad I cancelled my subscription to MLB.TV - now I don't have to turn off these has-beens in the early to mid-game whenever they are losing as such is the case AGAIN today!!!!

And yes, someone can call me a fair weather fan.

And this Taillon $UCK$$ !!!!!

37 minutes ago, Ritchie said:

Glad I cancelled my subscription to MLB.TV - now I don't have to turn off these has-beens in the early to mid-game whenever they are losing as such is the case AGAIN today!!!!

I cannot co-sign this. There's enough baseball out there to watch and actually be entertained by rather than making a losing team my sole source of baseball consumption, honestly. It's bad for your mental health and wellbeing.

The Yankees are a terrible team to watch daily this year, and that's fine, I accept this. I've focused on the positive in that their minor league talent is actually fairly good, so I pay attention to that stuff rather than focus on where the big league club is in the W/L column.

I have gotten significant amount of value from my MLB.TV subscription by following other games/matchups every day as well if the Yankees decide to not show up. This sport is only as beautiful as you allow it to be.

2 hours ago, Ritchie said:

You’re not a fair weather fan. To be a fair weather fan, you’d have to say something positive about the team now and then.  In the two years you’ve been posting, I have yet to see a positive comment. You say it’s because you are “superstitious”. 

Once again, you wrote off the Yankees after a few innings, only to have them come back again to win. :facepalm:

@Jim825.  No, I haven't posted anything positive because what is there to post positive. I believe you said back in April, let's see how they are in May - they were the same. Now in the middle of June, no better. Comeback wins against the Jays?? A team with good young hitters but terrible BP.  Ok,  I didn't watch rest of today's game and they had a great comeback win today.  For today.... Tomorrow, Manea is on the mound for the A's.  Will momentum carry over?  Don't know, but I won't be  'positive' about that.

19 minutes ago, Ritchie said:

@Jim825.  No, I haven't posted anything positive because what is there to post positive. I believe you said back in April, let's see how they are in May - they were the same. Now in the middle of June, no better. Comeback wins against the Jays?? A team with good young hitters but terrible BP.  Ok,  I didn't watch rest of today's game and they had a great comeback win today.  For today.... Tomorrow, Manea is on the mound for the A's.  Will momentum carry over?  Don't know, but I won't be  'positive' about that.

I have never seen someone who is a fan of a team both hate the team when they win and when they lose as well 🤣

12 minutes ago, Kccitystar said:

I have never seen someone who is a fan of a team both hate the team when they win and when they lose as well 🤣

I was thinking the same thing. Why even follow them if all they are going to provide is misery?

You remind me a lot of pre-2004 Red Sox fans, also known as “The fellowship of the miserable”. They were resigned to the fact that no matter how close they got, the Sox would never win the World Series. 

I’ve known plenty of these fans and some  even looked at their misery as a badge of honor. 

8 hours ago, Jim825 said:

I’ve known plenty of these fans and some  even looked at their misery as a badge of honor. 

The way I see it there is no honor in that.

I honestly believe that Ritchie is at the point where he can't get behind this team because of what he saw last year and so far this year. They play good then suddenly bad and good for a little while and right back to being bad. That's what killed them last year and so far they are carrying on that same habit in 2021. Look for as many positive things you may want to find but you have to admit this is not a team even close to winning it all, despite of all the grand talk they do in February and March.

That being said, yesterdays victory was one that really made me happy because I saw them scoring runs without hitting a lot of home runs. I mean even Stanton hit an opposite field single and Frazier is starting to wake up. So, I'm hopeful.