MLB Gameday Thread

Kccitystar

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Gordo said:

Man .... Girardi is really convinced Scherzer is using something and having him checked after every inning and then some.  This is gonna make for some bad blood.  Kind of welcoming this .... too much MLB kumbaya over the past few years.  I'll take this over Baaa-byyyy Shark shark shark shark shark, because .... baseball.

And there goes Girardi.

Just seeing this on my social media, did Scherzer get checked right after an AB? I thought he would be checked during natural breaks in the play rather than stopping the game altogether after an out?

15 hours ago, Gordo said:

Man .... Girardi is really convinced Scherzer is using something and having him checked after every inning and then some.  This is gonna make for some bad blood.  Kind of welcoming this .... too much MLB kumbaya over the past few years.  I'll take this over Baaa-byyyy Shark shark shark shark shark, because .... baseball.

When you are right you are right.

For cryin' out loud .... it's as if it was the second coming of Christ or something!

Capture.JPG.aa227b5327f41acbca18cb229f4bf409.JPG

They are going to be kissing this guy's ass as much as they do to that prick Ohtani. Just watch.

For cryin' out loud .... it's as if it was the second coming of Christ or something!

Capture.JPG.aa227b5327f41acbca18cb229f4bf409.JPG

Well, this was nice to see initially for a sound bite.  It's more MLB.com making too big of a deal about anything and everything.  This is the voice of confidence and some humility .... seems like a player anyone would want on their team..... just like Ohtani.

https://www.mlb.com/video/franco-discusses-mlb-debut

1 hour ago, Gordo said:

Well, this was nice to see initially for a sound bite.  It's more MLB.com making too big of a deal about anything and everything.  This is the voice of confidence and some humility .... seems like a player anyone would want on their team..... just like Ohtani.

https://www.mlb.com/video/franco-discusses-mlb-debut

Not that I support the Red Sox but I'd like to see them stick it in his ear sometime during tonight's game.

I am not one who jumps on the newest and greatest thing in baseball.

40 minutes ago, Yankee4Life said:

Not that I support the Red Sox but I'd like to see them stick it in his ear sometime during tonight's game.

I am not one who jumps on the newest and greatest thing in baseball.

Obviously a joke post because I refuse to believe that you are advocating for a team to throw at a player because he had a great debut game after being called up

Just my hot take/rant on the sticky substances issue in the league right now as there's "crackdowns":

I probably shared my thoughts on this somewhere but MLB really needs to get their heads out of the sand with the substance stuff. Checking players for substances? Seriously? I very highly doubt that a notable player will be caught with anything the rest of the season. All this is doing is undermining the confidence fans might have in a star pitcher or a pitcher who is doing well because of the suspicion that they might be using something to give them an edge rather than just putting in the work in the offseason through a performance facility like Driveline or Cressey Sports and improving their day to day conditioning during the season to be a better/effective pitcher.

My understanding from what Dodgers SP Trevor Bauer explained in a video and a follow-up blog entry is that legally, rosin and sweat will give you some form of tack on the ball, or even sunscreen and rosin during hot games will give you a level of tack on the ball. You can't stop someone from sweating and you can't stop someone from putting on sunscreen when they take the field. 

You know how the league can easily fix this substance nonsense? It's easy and I feel like it's a no-brainer:

Re-engineer the ball with better tack out of the box, full stop.

No joke, that's really it.

Like at this point, MLB should just take the responsibility of providing a level of tack on the ball completely off the players so the sport avoids an "arms race" to try and come up with the best form of adhesive/tacky substance. You also avoid the fanbase having to engage in stupid conversations where baseball talking heads on MLB Network, ESPN, etc. and baseball communities on social media argue until the end of time about shades of grey as far as what's considered sticky and what's not.

MLB, who owns the manufacturing process of the ball from Rawlings themselves, should spend the rest of the season trying to figure out how to apply a standardized level of tack to the ball during manufacturing. Mizuno actually does this with the balls they provide for the NPB, although it's a proprietary blend of coating on the ball. The feedback players have on the NPB ball, according to Yu Darvish, indicate that they like the level of tack on the balls compared to MLB. If MLB just engineered the balls with a standard level of tack that leaves zero room for variance, the need for rubbing mud is obsolete, because you now have a default level of grip on the ball out of the box that the rubbing mud was initially meant to aid in providing to the pitcher, and it would level the playing field for everyone.

In re-engineering the ball, there is a mutual benefit with the league and the players. Now that there's a level playing field with a tackier ball, in the eye of the casual fan, MLB is actually doing something to curb this and in that process you also give the possible penalties for doctoring baseballs some teeth. The players win as well, because now there is a level playing ground for all pitchers, and since this would incentivize MLB to incur heavy penalties on players who doctor the ball, players would be discouraged from trying to doctor the baseball altogether. Some players in the league are all for re-engineering the baseball to give it some additional tack already, and Rawlings tried something in 2018 that didn't really take off. Maybe they can collaborate/consult with Mizuno or have them license out the tech for the tack (ha, that sounded cool in my head), and in this collaboration it can actually lead to a standardized, certified game ball across all organized pro baseball leagues globally in an effort to grow the sport.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

17 minutes ago, Ritchie said:

Another loss to lowly Royals, thank you, Chapman.  Ho hum, so predictable this team. Bunch of bums!!!

Oops, wrong again. :rolleyes:

Sanchez homers to tie it up , Stanton singles, Wade pinch runs and then after a wild pitch, Voit knocks in the winning run. 

You’re becoming the Yankees’ good luck charm. The majority of the time lately when you complain about them, they find a way to come back and win. :)

5 hours ago, Jim825 said:

You’re becoming the Yankees’ good luck charm. The majority of the time lately when you complain about them, they find a way to come back and win. :)

I think this team worries him very much. I can say the same in a way.

4 hours ago, Gordo said:

I like the "tack the ball" idea. 

What is this?

Finally, does Aaron Judge do anything else but strike out or get hurt?

@Jim825 Hey, glad I am but you have to admit, you didn't think they would win after Chappy blew the save. I didn't as I kept checking the score on the internet and then gave up after that.  This is an up and down team and I don't have much faith in them.  Also, this is probably the only team to have consecutive games with baselodaded walks and NOT score a single run.

1 hour ago, Ritchie said:

@Yankee4Life. True.  I see boxscore for Judge - 4 K's - I would pull the trigger and package him in a trade since Stanton is untradable with his $$$$.

The team would be objectively worse and it would anger the entire Yankees fanbase if the organization decided to do that

14 hours ago, Ritchie said:

Just got home from work.  Noticed Taillon pitched good game.  Was that him on the mound?? Judge, Voit, Sanchez homered?? WOW!!!  will they carry momentum into Fenway??  Hope so.

Me too. Those dirty *&^%$ need to be taught a damn lesson - especially that Devers.