Stadium Design Contest

NYM

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you guys give me a couple of prgrams I can use, because unlike you guys I'm drawing mine by hand. Anything thats simple where I could get the hang of the program within a couple hours.

BTW: If you haven't seen the update, the stadium deadline is September 12.

I use google sketchup, it's free, easy to get a hand of, and has some good results. However, some things are a bit tricky to do - it's hard getting exact measurements (my mound if 6'4" 1/2 inches from home plate, don't ask), it's annoying trying to get a good incline, details aren't that easy... but you're not really going to find anything better 3d program-wise for that price.

I actually started some rough sketches by hand, but I realized A) I'm a bad drawer, B) I don't have the patience for all those exact measurements, and C) It's hard to get something down on paper that you would be able to look around at 360 degrees... so that's why I went to sketchup.

hey hiheat, what program are you using? how can you add the little stuff... like restaraunts, adds, and other stuff?

its some program called chief architect that we had lying around the house. its a program that is really used to design houses and i think its pretty expensive, but im not positive

i can add a picture as a texture to make adds, windows, tvs, seats, etc

the program also has objects such as chairs, tables, and other house stuff.

For everyone entering, please note that you must follow MLB dimension rules. I believe its 320 being the minimum distance from homeplate to the wall.

The stadiums will be judged on location, design, creativity, and seating(no blocked views or impossible seating designs).

If you have anything else to add please do so.

For everyone entering, please note that you must follow MLB dimension rules. I believe its 320 being the minimum distance from homeplate to the wall.

The stadiums will be judged on location, design, creativity, and seating(no blocked views or impossible seating designs).

If you have anything else to add please do so.

It is 320' unless there is a high wall to compensate, or if the commissioner signs off on it. There is virtually no chance the commish would ever sign off on something less than 302' at this point.

This is important since new Yankee's dimensions do not fulfill the requirements. They've been grandfathered in due to history.

Guess HoK won't be entering anything then.

Dang... HoK is gonna need some cream for that burn!

You sure do hate all the latest stadiums, SeanO. I know it all comes down to a matter of opinion... but dang... is there any stadium built and/or designed in the last 20 years that you DON'T hate?

You sure do hate all the latest stadiums, SeanO. I know it all comes down to a matter of opinion... but dang... is there any stadium built and/or designed in the last 20 years that you DON'T hate?

It's not that I hate HoK stadiums, it's just that they're lazy. I can have a grand time at CBP, and realize it's a fun place to watch a game, but that doesn't mean the park is interesting or well designed. There's a big difference between hating to be at a venue (the old Foxboro, Anaheim pre-renovation) and thinking it's a design without some fundamental design issues.

It's about creating a park that will look as good now as it does in 2040, which HoK projects completely ignore. Anyone can take what's popular and make a building beloved today, but shortsighted designers end up with Boston City Hall and Shea Stadium.

Archived