The MVP 2005 and Windows 10 Thread

Solid_Contact

After upgrading to windows 10,I´m not able to play like before.It runs like fast forward.Gameplay and even the menu is too fast.I tried turn on/off v-sync and tested several  compatibility modes.It seems to be even faster with a lower resolution like 640x480.At 1280x1024 it seems to run in normal speed,but the game is kind of laggy /stuttering ,even with ok fps.So for me its unplayable now.I reinstalled the game and tried to use different patches,before mod my game,nothing works(it´s unplayable modded and unmodded).Maybe,it´s a graphic card thing under Win 10 (my card was not detected-i had to install a driver manually),my card is an old Radeon x550-but i never had problems to play this game with or without mods. :(

Edited by StAhL

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I performed the Win 10 Pro upgrade over my Win 7 Ultimate and have 64 bit.  I have not been able to get MVP to even start from the icon.  I do have all patches through #5.  I have tried to run as admin and use all the compatibility modes with no success. Hoping for a solve eventually!

After upgrading to windows 10,I´m not able to play like before.It runs like fast forward.Gameplay and even the menu is too fast.I tried turn on/off v-sync and tested several  compatibility modes.It seems to be even faster with a lower resolution like 640x480.At 1280x1024 it seems to run in normal speed,but the game is kind of laggy /stuttering ,even with ok fps.So for me its unplayable now.I reinstalled the game and tried to use different patches,before mod my game,nothing works(it´s unplayable modded and unmodded).Maybe,it´s a graphic card thing under Win 10 (my card was not detected-i had to install a driver manually),my card is an old Radeon x550-but i never had problems to play this game with or without mods. :(

So I think,i solved my problem,by using MSI Afterburner to set my max fps at 60.I think on the first page,someone had the same problem and he limited the fps.Now the gameplay looks a little bit slow,but maybe that´s  pure imagination :D 

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum, and came here hoping someone had found a solution. I know what the problem is, at least for an unmodded game:

MVP Baseball 2005 uses SafeDisc v2, which uses a file called SECDRV.SYS to validate the disc. This normally shipped with Windows, but Microsoft appears to have pulled it from Windows 10. Every game I have tested that uses this form of copy protection exhibits the following behavior:

- If you try to run it, you get told to log in with Administrator Privileges and to try again.

- If you then set "Run as Admin" compatibility mode, the message disappears, but the game doesn't start.

- Keeping a window open for C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\DRIVERS shows SECDRV.SYS appearing (apparently put there by the game) at the moment you try to start the game.

- The Windows event log shows that SECDRV.SYS failed to load. The problem, it seems, is that the failed driver load is making these games fail their copy protection.

On my Windows 64-bit 8.1 system, C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS has a folder called amd64_macrovision-protection-safedisc_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.16384_none_4e6b3758913c9240 with a SECDRV.SYS in it, presumably the one that ships with Windows. Windows 10 had such a folder in early builds (I found this by looking at error logs posted online), but it is missing from the release build.

This was definitely the problem for me. You can google solutions to this problem by googling "Secdrv.sys windows 10". I will not post the solutions here as they might violate any rules. If anyone can upload their SECDRV.SYS (not sure if this would work), that would be awesome as well. As of now, I finally got my MVP Baseball working on Windows 10 Pro!

Hint: It seems like if the game is working for you on Windows 10, its because your using an illegal copy :p

Edited by aznxprd
grammar errors

This was definitely the problem for me. You can google solutions to this problem by googling "Secdrv.sys windows 10". I will not post the solutions here as they might violate any rules. If anyone can upload their SECDRV.SYS (not sure if this would work), that would be awesome as well. As of now, I finally got my MVP Baseball working on Windows 10 Pro!

Hint: It seems like if the game is working for you on Windows 10, its because your using an illegal copy :p

where can I find a solution? would you give me a link?

If that's the case, then we won't discuss it any longer, as we don't provide support for illegal copies of the game.

Yes, but is that definite?  I know guys were having trouble with TW 08 golf and definitely not using illegal copies.  Let's not forget about M$ and early release bugs.

I'm not saying that we don't discuss issues with MVP or MLB2K running with Windows 10.  I'm saying that we don't discuss issues related to having illegal copies of the game or anything that looks like we are encouraging users to get illegal copies of the game.

I'm not saying that we don't discuss issues with MVP or MLB2K running with Windows 10.  I'm saying that we don't discuss issues related to having illegal copies of the game

Unfortunately, the problem is that the game doesn't work on windows 10 if you actually have a legitimate copy (like i do). And requires a .exe that removes the safedisc option that was NOT included in Windows 10. But yes, until someone else figures out a way to legitimately make MVP baseball work for people that actually bought the game, it probably is best to not support the current solution.

Just an opinion from being in the IT field for several years and doing sysadmin stuff for Windows machines,

I find even Windows 8.1 to be better than Windows 7 as it is. Faster boot, lighter OS...with no real downsides.

Windows 10 is pretty much Windows 7 with all of the actual improvements that Windows 8/8.1 brought in. It's more efficient with its hardware, more secure, faster startup/shutdowns and better Windows Update handling. Odds are with the lack of Aero (which was an issue with graphics cards at the time of W7 release) you'll get a few more frames out of your games too. If you use the Windows store to install desktop applications (i.e. NOT the metro ones introduced in Windows 8), you'll be glad to find that they're more than likely not to clutter up your system unnecessarily with random registry keys that are left behind, etc.

On a side note, with Windows 10 being the first OS that Microsoft will be offering as a "service", you'll be receiving new features that Microsoft develops as they're released through Windows Update along with all of the security patches. You can opt out of the features for up to several months, but the security/critical updates are mandatory and will install themselves. If you're the family IT guy like I am, you can be relieved to find that you'll no longer have to ask which version of Windows they're on, you'll just be able to assume "Windows 10", and most importantly because this is the first OS which Microsoft has attempted to do a rolling release (meaning everything gets updated on your machine when MS pushes out an update) with, you will always have the most recent build on your machine.

I dumped W7 years ago and never looked back. It was a great OS for its time.

I really enjoyed 8 and 8.1 too for these reasons.  However it does have a lot of drawbacks for me to use, and most of it lies in the limitations with using a domain user.  And since they were working on 10, it was never addressed.  That was the only reason I stuck with 7. 

reading through all the issues you guys are having, has anyone tried running xp or 7 on a virtual pc?  I'd test it myself for you but I haven't had a chance to install 10 yet.  I know some of you are talking about dual booting, but a virtual pc is much easier to set up because you can back it up really easy.  there are just so many benefits to running it rather than dual booting.  but off my soap box.  someone test it on a virtual pc and let me know if the game works, or wait until i get around to installing 10.

Why is a no cd crack wrong in this case if one owns the legit cds? This is the solution right now & I don't see it being any different then modding the game at this point.

This is a good question. I'll take a seat here and try to explain and elaborate on things the best way I can:

The game uses copyright protection in the executable. This we know for sure, since if you don't have Disc 2, the game won't run, or if you mounted an ISO for Disc 2, the game won't run anyway since it checks the disc for a very specific set of bytes that can't be replicated by casually burning/mounting an ISO of Disc 2.

Circumventing (working around) that protection by cracking the game is pirating software. It's no different than playing a copy of MLB2K12 that you've "acquired" and using rld.dll to get around the DRM on the disc/Steam versions, or installing a KMS loader on Windows 7 so your version appears genuine. Same idea.

Since you mention modding, this is another point I'd like to address:
As a modder, there is a difference between modding a uniform and modding a game so it can run without the security measures in place. A huge difference. modding the game by tampering with the game's texture files (which is, let's be honest, a vast majority of the work featured on our site) is entirely different, because the game will *still* work,  modified files or not.

Since we're on the topic of piracy/cracking the game, I consider myself to be a much more progressive admin when it comes to trying to tackle this issue and as such my views have evolved a bit over the years. I've come to an understanding that we as a collective, inclusive community are supporting a disc-based game in an age where where we have Steam, GMG, and Origin for digital games. First things first, let's be honest here: Disc-based games are hard to find and expensive to pay for. I mean, in no way am I ever forking over over $100 for MVP on Amazon or EBay again. The best way to keep a copy of MVP 2005 these days is to just generate the ISOs and store them somewhere, (be it on the cloud, a portable hard drive), and mount them whenever you need to, and play with a crack. I understand this is how a majority of the community plays the game these days. I don't think it really matters if someone has a cracked copy of MVP or a legal copy of MVP as going on a witch hunt does nothing but splinter the community, which is what we don't want.

If you believe cracking the game will allow you to play MVP on Windows 10, at the end of the day, all that I ask, as your admin, is to avoid discussing piracy publicly. This includes information such as how to find no-cd cracks, torrents, ISOs, etc. If you want to keep things in PMs, do that instead. That's fine with me.

Posting a crack or a link to a crack, let alone asking how to find one on the forums will get you an immediate ban. It's outlined in the rules/site guidelines and it's a rule our staff would feel that you consciously broke.

We've put in a lot of time in revamping our site and in how we communicate with our users as part of the 10th anniversary of MVP and it would suck to see people go. I'm not a fan of banning people outright, because people always come back, but we can only clarify the rules as much as we can.

All good points, and not looking to get banned, I'm just wondering what the solution in 2015 is. 

I just don't think this is a pirating issue. The new operating system has made our games unable to launch. So what will the solution be? Is copying a file from Win8 or 7 into 10 acceptable? If the solution isn't this, I'll be interested to see what is. 

Edited by Shooter1973

All good points, and not looking to get banned, I'm just wondering what the solution in 2015 is. 

I just don't think this is a pirating issue. The new operating system has made our games unable to launch. So what will the solution be? Is copying a file from Win8 or 7 into 10 acceptable? If the solution isn't this, I'll be interested to see what is. 

It's what I'm trying to figure out.

I have copies of Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 (shoutout to my IT jobs over the years), but I'm not trying to install a new OS either for regular use or within a virtual machine just to play MVP.

there really isn't a solution yet since 10 is so new.  until then the only solution i see is to try  it in a virtual machine.  for a guy like me who mods, and needs xp to mod cyberfaces, it's feasible for me to use windows xp in a virtual machine. it might not be the best choice for everyone, but for right now it's the only way I know that will make it possibly work.  for those of you who are interested in using xp or any other operating system on a virtual machine, you can use virtualbox:  https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

really simple to use and allows you to do regular backups.

Edited by Homer

there really isn't a solution yet since 10 is so new.  until then the only solution i see is to try  it in a virtual machine.  for a guy like me who mods, and needs xp to mod cyberfaces, it's feasible for me to use windows xp in a virtual machine. it might not be the best choice for everyone, but for right now it's the only way I know that will make it possibly work.  for those of you who are interested in using xp or any other operating system on a virtual machine, you can use virtualbox:  https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

really simple to use and allows you to do regular backups.

You know what the kicker is? I don't have a copy of Windows XP.

they're not hard to come by.  i find them all the time.  i have the image files for them so i scoured craigslist awhile back and bought a few keys.  

and if you have an install disc, imagine you can just install it as a trial version to try it out.  with xp, i don't connect it to the internet for security reasons, so it's just used to run games and mod.

oh and if you don't have xp, the other option is to install XP Mode.  apparently it can be done on 10.  

http://www.download3k.com/articles/How-to-add-an-XP-Mode-Virtual-Machine-to-Windows-10-or-8-using-Hyper-V-00770

i think by now it is well established that these games aren't running on 10.  i can't imagine that it's high on microsoft's priority list to get mvp baseball running, so these are likely the only solutions until someone else provides an actual fix.

I have the game running in Win 10 but I just have to figure out how to get that little studder out of the ball being thrown.  It's the same little studder that was in the game prior to patch 3.  All my other games run great in Win 10.  Think it is going to be the older ones that are going to be trouble.

I'm having this same problem. Maybe a reinstall will help?