MLB 2K17 - Mod Preview

pena1

There are innumerable things that are required so that a roster does not cause the game to crash whatsoever, and innumerable things done by the user to the roster that will cause the game to crash. Look at all the work BSU-FAN used to do essentially by himself to create a franchise-ready roster that doesn't cause the game to crash. Now that he is gone there are a few guys working collectively to do what BSU-FAN did. And for all the users here, mostly newbs asking or demanding for this mod, you could have just as easily made an effort to help these guys. Imagine if you had one guy to concentrate on each organization individually. That's 30 people that could be contributing to make a great roster that could be used beyond this season with transactions updated frequently.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scottybilly, the type of people like this Sparrick person does not want to contribute in any way. All they want is the mod and they want it now. Nothing else will make them happy and the amount of work it takes to make this mod is irrelevant. They just want it and that's that. No reasoning with them at all. You guys on this project are doing an outstanding job.

So thanks scottybilly for taking my comment completely wrong, and you can ignore my comments from now on since you have nothing substantive to add.

I responded to a negative, sarcastic comment made by you. If you were really concerned about the status of this mod, you would have asked somebody directly and not a post in a thread as others have done, and perhaps even offered to help expedite a release somehow. Need I remind people that modders have families and jobs that will always come first, and have no obligation to anybody to release this or provide constant updates?

This is why I decided a number of years ago not to post anything about the mods I work on until AFTER they are complete and have been released.  It eliminates questions (innocent or otherwise) about how the mod is progressing, why it is taking so long, when it will be released, etc.  If I don't have time or don't feel like working on it for a week or two, only I (or anyone I am collaborating with) know about it.  It takes the pressure off and allows me/us to release the mod when I/we are satisfied with it.

57 minutes ago, Jim825 said:

This is why I decided a number of years ago not to post anything about the mods I work on until AFTER they are complete and have been released.  It eliminates questions (innocent or otherwise) about how the mod is progressing, why it is taking so long, when it will be released, etc.  If I don't have time or don't feel like working on it for a week or two, only I (or anyone I am collaborating with) know about it.  It takes the pressure off and allows me/us to release the mod when I/we are satisfied with it.

I told these guys this Jim in a post of mine that is lost in one of these pages in here. You used to be bugged when the next Total Classics was coming out or whatever season mod you were working on at the time and by not announcing what you were working on was one of the smartest things anyone ever has done in here. These guys have been pressured a lot and it almost reminds me of the time when Kraw was making the 2008 mod for Mvp. Almost. But they had it much worse.

23 hours ago, Sparrick said:

Somehow any time someone makes a comment, even tho it may just be asking why it's been so quiet, it never fails that you leave some smart a$$ reply.  It couldn't be that some ppl are extremely excited for this mod, that the modders have spent countless hours on.  And it couldn't be that we are very grateful for the work being put in on this mod.  And it couldn't be that we just wanna make sure everything is still going smoothly.  No no, it must be that we are trolls and are griping and complaining that the mod isn't out yet.  So let me clear the air here.  I am grateful to all the hard work being put on this mod and I can't wait to see the end result.  I know it's not easy work and it's time consuming.  So I appreciate everyone who has helped in any way.  I was only asking why it's been so quiet because this topic has stayed very active up until this week.  So thanks scottybilly for taking my comment completely wrong, and you can ignore my comments from now on since you have nothing substantive to add. 

Well it's not going well. It's hardly moving. But there will be some sort of release soon, I hope. We've lost pena completely among others who have not been active. I've stopped creating content. The demand is minimal. Doing this for no payoff is exhausting. Plain and simple.. I plan to polish off what I have and am going to release most of it. I'll likely make some tutorials and stuff when I find the time. Raiders is supposed to gather everything up soon and release a 1.0 but I haven't heard too much. There's your official update. Sorry it wasn't better news.

Well that's terrible news to hear but I understand completely. Life gets in the way, or interest is lost. It goes without saying that it would have been nice if more help was offered rather than all the questions about the status of the mod. Now I know why there are minimal mods being shared in pena's  google drive.

Indeed it is very sad news, considering the previews that were shown earlier in the year.  I want to thank the modders involved for their time and effort.  I think they didn't realize the monster they were creating with an ever growing increase in the capabilities of the game that had not been tapped by 2K.  Perhaps releasing it piece meal by various modders might have been better while the enthusiasm was there.  Who knows, hindsight is always 20/20.  I would like to reiterate that a working roster capable of playing in franchise mode would/will satisfy  many on this website.  Did any of the modders achieve that?  Hopefully all the other parts will be released as time permits.  Thank you again to all the modders for their time  and efforts.

13 minutes ago, tomk30816 said:

I would like to reiterate that a working roster capable of playing in franchise mode would/will satisfy  many on this website.  Did any of the modders achieve that?  

I'd second this. It's currently a gamebreaker as is, so any kind of working roster would be very, very much appreciated by everyone, I would imagine. 

You guys (modders) should team up and start a patreon. Release what you have now to paying supporters and release whats left on a monthly basis as you work on it. I would support this. First off, you guys deserve it. Second, all this work for no payoff is not fair and third it would probably get all the modders who left the project to come back. 

It isn't a bad idea, but I can't see them all agreeing to do that. Modding is still a hobby after all, and isn't anybody's primary focus. I wouldn't expect anybody to pay for the cyberfaces I make despite the time and effort I put in. It's all meant to be done in fun, and its simple enough to post a mod here once its finished.

A few people tried charging for mods in the past and it was not received very well.  It's not really what this site is all about.  As far as modding for "no payoff", I don't know of any modder here who create mods to make money. 

I just noted the discussion of crashing rosters in franchise mode and maybe i can help.

I created that MLB2k12 Ratings calculator that's uploaded.

I went through a lot of testing to get the rosters to run crash free in franchise mode. It looks like i achieved that with my rosters when i use the calculator to generate the roster file. I haven't come across any crashes in franchise mode for about 2 months now.

There are a lot of things that will crash the game. I setup the calculator to generate the rosters in the exact format the game wants to see in the players and teams tabs. Things like ids, lineups, etc.; I left the schedules at default for now. Didn't want to mess with that yet.

The main thing when using it is to plug the stats into, what i call for now, the "Paste Lahman Here" worksheet. I just copy and paste the stats from access files i created for past seasons. I don't have it setup yet to import current/minor league stats to create a 2017 roster.

That would require some manual labor to do it right now to type/paste in the stats and maybe i would need to adjust some things in the calculator.

Once the stats are entered into the "Paste Lahman Here" worksheet (exact same format), You have to go to the "Roster Calculation" worksheet, press "Refresh all" and everything thing is calculated to have a "game ready" roster file. Just copy/ paste the 3 excel tabs into the roster using ReditII , go into the game and auto generate the lineups/pitching staffs for each team, and the roster is franchise ready.

I tried this so many times for the last 2 months, played through 30 plus seasons with no crashes.

Test them and see for yourself.

We can talk about this further if this helps.

There is a roster included with the stuff that we have that is fairly well updated, the attributes still need help but it doesn't crash. I don't do mods for money purposes but it wouldn't hurt to at least flip a couple bucks once and a while.

The leeching is insane.. but it's to be expected from a site like this, with a small base. I enjoy helping to provide a PC option to baseball. Hell, I've donated a lot of money to the people who do Elder Scrolls mods on Nexus.. too much probably, because I just plain love what they do. It keeps a game I love alive and fresh, and I understand the time it takes to mod. So if I can't directly help - there's one other way to help... It's not just money wise it's just an exhausting thing sometimes. That's me personally... I'm sure some can understand that. Bottom line I personally can't sustain it anymore. I have been hoping for years to consistently work in a team/partner environment on the mods but it is usually a struggle or short-lived. I'm just being honest with this post as if I were speaking with friends, so I hope all is understood. 

Like I said, I still love to sit back and mod for fun, it just won't be as often :)

Wow, No mod now? Well I do understand, it sucks, but I get it. I appreciate the effort guys sorry I couldn't help I just haven't done any modding on this game. If there was someway I could help I would but I'm guessing my little contribution wouldn't be enough anyway. Man what a bummer, but like I said I get it. I would pay for the mod myself, but obviously that's not the problem.

Plenty of people can contribute to a total mod without actually modding themselves: If somebody was making player portraits but didn't have access to hi-res photos from mlb pressbox and you did, you are making a big contribution if you sent those photos to him. Similar thing can be said for cyberface making I suppose. Somebody does the legwork of providing quality close-up photos of each player the modder wishes to make a cyberface of. And stadiums. Dozens of photos are needed to know what advertisements/billboards are present in each stadium and where they are precisely. Or what the infield dirt and outfield grass looks like up close. And for rostermaking, as I said previously, if there was an individual person to work on their favorite team and their minor league affiliates. That's 30 people potentially working on the same thing. You don't need to do the roster editing, but you are doing the legwork of providing transactions, who is on each major and minor league team. You can research each player's attributes, what their batting stance is, or pitcher's windup and repertoire. You can find out what equipment the player uses, how he wears his pants, etc. If you have a favorite team, you are watching most of their games on cable tv, and maybe your cable provider also shows certain games of minor league teams in that organization.

1 hour ago, scottybilly said:

Plenty of people can contribute to a total mod without actually modding themselves: If somebody was making player portraits but didn't have access to hi-res photos from mlb pressbox and you did, you are making a big contribution if you sent those photos to him. Similar thing can be said for cyberface making I suppose. Somebody does the legwork of providing quality close-up photos of each player the modder wishes to make a cyberface of. And stadiums. Dozens of photos are needed to know what advertisements/billboards are present in each stadium and where they are precisely. Or what the infield dirt and outfield grass looks like up close. And for rostermaking, as I said previously, if there was an individual person to work on their favorite team and their minor league affiliates. That's 30 people potentially working on the same thing. You don't need to do the roster editing, but you are doing the legwork of providing transactions, who is on each major and minor league team. You can research each player's attributes, what their batting stance is, or pitcher's windup and repertoire. You can find out what equipment the player uses, how he wears his pants, etc. If you have a favorite team, you are watching most of their games on cable tv, and maybe your cable provider also shows certain games of minor league teams in that organization.

Yep, to help with stadiums it would mostly require someone who will get the most current views of the stadiums and potentially getting high resolution instances of those ads. There are jobs to be done, in the past i've had great help, other times I got folks who gave me old/unrelated items and then gave up after asking for newer material or delivered constructive criticism. And it isn't for everyone. It's hard. It's time consuming. 

2 hours ago, Splash Durham said:

Wow, No mod now? Well I do understand, it sucks, but I get it. I appreciate the effort guys sorry I couldn't help I just haven't done any modding on this game. If there was someway I could help I would but I'm guessing my little contribution wouldn't be enough anyway. Man what a bummer, but like I said I get it. I would pay for the mod myself, but obviously that's not the problem.

There will be a mod. It may just fall short of what it was going to be.

On 6/30/2017 at 9:49 AM, DaSteelerz said:

There is a roster included with the stuff that we have that is fairly well updated, the attributes still need help but it doesn't crash. I don't do mods for money purposes but it wouldn't hurt to at least flip a couple bucks once and a while.

The leeching is insane.. but it's to be expected from a site like this, with a small base. I enjoy helping to provide a PC option to baseball. Hell, I've donated a lot of money to the people who do Elder Scrolls mods on Nexus.. too much probably, because I just plain love what they do. It keeps a game I love alive and fresh, and I understand the time it takes to mod. So if I can't directly help - there's one other way to help... It's not just money wise it's just an exhausting thing sometimes. That's me personally... I'm sure some can understand that. Bottom line I personally can't sustain it anymore. I have been hoping for years to consistently work in a team/partner environment on the mods but it is usually a struggle or short-lived. I'm just being honest with this post as if I were speaking with friends, so I hope all is understood. 

Like I said, I still love to sit back and mod for fun, it just won't be as often :)

What is the best method for donations? Do you have a PayPal? I will gladly contribute to everyone who is working on this mod. The leechers and the trolls are truly the people who have no concept of how much work goes into modding, developing, and programming. It's sad to see all the ungrateful people that show up on this site but like you said it's to be expected. You just have to block it out. 

Obviously if someone is doing %50 of the work on this mod and the rest are contributors then I don't want want to donate $25 to all because that wouldn't be right. Is there someone who can provide an overview to make it easier for donations? I noticed there is a generic donate option on the main page but no option to specify who my money goes to. 

It would be nice if there was a donate button next to a member's name so that we could easily support them. I fix other people's computer's as a hobby and I never ask for money. Usually people will just give me money and I am always reluctant to accept it and people usually insist. I feel there are quite a few people interested in this mod who are insisting on donating money. You guys deserve it. 

Regards,

Josh

35 minutes ago, Kayotick said:

It would be nice if there was a donate button next to a member's name so that we could easily support them. I fix other people's computer's as a hobby and I never ask for money. Usually people will just give me money and I am always reluctant to accept it and people usually insist. I feel there are quite a few people interested in this mod who are insisting on donating money. You guys deserve it. 

Regards,

Josh

That's not how it works here. If you want to donate that's fine. But you donate to the website and you will see where to do that on the right side of the main page. There is a big rectangular button that says DONATE NOW. Trues, the owner of this website, hosts all these mods and donating helps him with server costs.

4 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

That's not how it works here. If you want to donate that's fine. But you donate to the website and you will see where to do that on the right side of the main page. There is a big rectangular button that says DONATE NOW. Trues, the owner of this website, hosts all these mods and donating helps him with server costs.

Very well then. Donation made via the main page. 

7 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

People have donated to me when I was actively modding, but many times I'd pivot the donation to the site itself instead for making the mod available to everyone.

That's true. I remember once you wanted a Mp3 player or something from Cowon.

Uhhh....this kinda completely validates all the trolls you guys have been crying about since you announced this. I would love to pat you on the back and say good try, but this is kinda pathetic. If you are gonna do something, do it, or dont tell people you are doing it and then spend half a baseball season getting people excited. If its too much work then dont pretend you are gonna do it. Thanks for nothing. 

11 minutes ago, Mlbfiend said:

Uhhh....this kinda completely validates all the trolls you guys have been crying about since you announced this. I would love to pat you on the back and say good try, but this is kinda pathetic. If you are gonna do something, do it, or dont tell people you are doing it and then spend half a baseball season getting people excited. If its too much work then dont pretend you are gonna do it. Thanks for nothing. 

Nice first post!!!! Now go away. :angry:

Archived